Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Barry Greenstein coming to speak at UIUC. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368632)

gobboboy 10-30-2005 11:36 PM

Barry Greenstein coming to speak at UIUC.

This Thursday at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Barry Greenstein will be speaking about math and its relation to poker (and probably plugging his new book). Foellinger Auditorium at 7:30.

It's open to everyone and completely free, so if you want to come by, feel free.
(My source is the news-gazette, a local paper)

Saddlepoint 10-30-2005 11:50 PM

Re: Barry Greenstein coming to speak at UIUC.

Isn't poker banned on that campus?

Not that that would necessarily keep them from wanting Greenstein to speak. I just think it's a little bit ironic. I wonder if the read the stuff in Ace on the River about Barry's playing experiences in school.

IronDragon1 10-31-2005 12:00 AM

Well Barry Greenstein is a UIUC alumnus.

As for poker being banned from campus that certainly didn't stop me (and Bugstud, and Goblinmason and Stacysmom and others).

Saddlepoint 10-31-2005 12:19 AM

Oh is he? I had no idea.

I don't attend, but I visited UIUC a few weeeks ago. Very beautiful campus. I just find it a little bit ironic, for reasons I hope are self-apparent, that a man who has made millions of dollars playing a game that is prohibited on campus is being invited to address the student body.

Regardless, I'd be thrilled to hear him if I were nearby.

nickg1532 10-31-2005 01:26 AM

He was a professor there too, was he not? or was that at a different school?

10-31-2005 02:40 AM

i think he taught some classes when he was there for grad school.

gobboboy 10-31-2005 04:27 AM

Are you guys near UIUC?

GutPunch 10-31-2005 04:29 AM

I am. Always willing to get to know some 2+2ers in the area. And also always looking for some local cash games/tournies.

gobboboy 10-31-2005 04:30 AM

I'm in PAR, where's everyone else?

EDIT: Send me AIM or MSN addresses!

10-31-2005 06:41 AM

Dang!
I live right by UIC...Chicago.
Oh well.

augie00 10-31-2005 11:39 AM

I am thinking about coming to this, but prolly just so I can meet Barry and say hello. Any UIUC 2+2ers wanna buy me dinner?

xorbie 10-31-2005 03:21 PM

I will probably be attending this.

10-31-2005 03:47 PM

I live in Allen for anyone that lives near or on campus and I'm also looking for some local games around the area. I'll definetely be at least stopping by to see how many people this draws/what he has to say.

gobboboy 10-31-2005 04:14 PM

Dude, if you guys want home games just give me your AIM addresses and you'll be somewhere with a ton of trouts in no time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MyTurn2Raise 11-01-2005 08:16 PM

If I'm in champaign, I'll be there. I'll probably be a nerd and bring my copy of his book to sign. Been staying mostly in Chicagoland since August though. It would be cool to meet the score of other Champaign/Urbana 2+2ers.

GoblinMason (Craig) 11-02-2005 12:25 AM

I'll be there, as will blindinglaser, silkyslim, m0n3y0nf1r3, New001, and forshure.

-Craig

MyTurn2Raise 11-02-2005 01:55 AM

I will be in town for this...I'm in champaign just past Neil (off campus). PM me with any details of a 2+2 gathering for this or hit me up at bweeks (I think the system is still forwarding my email).

MyTurn2Raise 11-03-2005 04:40 PM

I will most likely be there. I'll be the 5'8" white dude wearing a Cards hat and red Chuck Taylors. Give me a holla if you want.

thetodd 11-07-2005 09:50 AM

Is there a link to information about the UIUC poker ban? I'm curious to learn why they banned it, what exactly is banned, what the penalties are, and whether anyone has been punished.

Like MT2R, I'm an '02 and '03 grad currently in the Chicago area, and while I was at UIUC, the UIUC internet poker scene seemed to be thriving. Based on what I've heard from younger friends at UIUC and read on 2+2, there are a whole lot of serious and strong players there now. I find it a bit amusing that there is some sort of poker ban in place in an area that is home to so many people who are either playing for a living or paying for college with poker.

TomHimself 11-07-2005 05:54 PM

did this happen already, any trip reports? how was barry?

gobboboy 11-07-2005 06:22 PM

It went pretty well. Basically his entire speech was about staying in school and not playing poker all the time. To focus on your studies and only do poker on the weekend. It was interesting and he told us about how some people misunderstand the math in poker, even though most everyone on 2+2 would not make the mistakes that he showed.

augie00 11-07-2005 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a link to information about the UIUC poker ban?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like a "poker ban" would stop people from playing poker.

yellowjack 11-07-2005 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It went pretty well. Basically his entire speech was about staying in school and not playing poker all the time. To focus on your studies and only do poker on the weekend. It was interesting and he told us about how some people misunderstand the math in poker, even though most everyone on 2+2 would not make the mistakes that he showed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone from UIUC bring their copy of Ace on the River to get signed?

Cooker 11-07-2005 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone from UIUC bring their copy of Ace on the River to get signed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't, but he signed lots of books before and after the talk and they were for sale at the talk.

thetodd 11-08-2005 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like a "poker ban" would stop people from playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. That's why I find it amusing that they tried. I think UIUC would probably be one of the hardest places in the world to attempt to ban poker.