Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366775)

Unoriginalname 10-27-2005 05:22 PM

Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio

I listen to the Dan Patrick show a lot, but there's something I never quite understood. Does anyone know why the callers give their height/weight when they call in? What's the story behind that? When did that originate?

TheRover 10-27-2005 05:46 PM

Re: Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio

Dude needs a co-host badly. I don't remember why, but it's something they've done for years. I don't listen much anymore.

CollinEstes 10-27-2005 05:58 PM

Yeah I used to listen to it everyday then ESPN fired Dibble. I always thought he made the show funnier. They were doing that bell thing for the height weight when I started to listen along time ago so don't know where it is from. Still the best show since Kornheisher doesn't do radio anymore.

TheRover 10-27-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I used to listen to it everyday then ESPN fired Dibble. I always thought he made the show funnier. They were doing that bell thing for the height weight when I started to listen along time ago so don't know where it is from. Still the best show since Kornheisher doesn't do radio anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony has a local show in DC. It's on XMradio if you have it. I don't know if there's a place to listen online.

scott8 10-27-2005 06:41 PM

Why was Dibble fired?

TheRover 10-27-2005 06:51 PM

I thought they just didn't renew his contract? Dibble has a show on XM with Kevin Kennedy...

Kevmath 10-27-2005 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tony has a local show in DC. It's on XMradio if you have it. I don't know if there's a place to listen online.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://wtem.com/main.html

10-27-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought they just didn't renew his contract? Dibble has a show on XM with Kevin Kennedy...

[/ QUOTE ]

They offered him a new contract but Dibble held out for more, eventually they just cya.

IggyWH 10-27-2005 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude needs a co-host badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

2PM-3PM EST on Fridays the Patrick-Olbermann tag-team is back.

Unoriginalname 10-27-2005 09:17 PM

I have to agree with you guys, I feel like the Dan Patrick show is one of the more boring shows on ESPN radio now that Rob Dibble is gone. I find the Herd with Colin Cowherd the most entertaining.

wrongarm300 10-27-2005 10:37 PM

I just found out yesterday actually. They randomly give away a pair of Dockers Slacks to a caller that gives their height/weight/and waist size. Yesterday the bells and whistles went off and they gave a pair away. I was always curious too.

Sluss 10-28-2005 07:24 AM

Listeners do their height and weight as an old joke. Whenever Dibble would go off on something he would bring up his height and weight. Then Phil started ringing the bell every time he did it. Then the callers started doing it.
The pants thing is a new promotion.

From what I can gather ESPN didn't want Dibble on Baseball Tonight any more. They decided he wasn't worth the money he wanted to just do the radio show.

Colin Cowherd drives me nuts. He always has to say something controversial. That style just drives me insane. I don't want to spend half of a show screaming at my radio. If I wanted that I would just listen to Rush instead.

IMHO, I like Mike and Mike and the Sportsbash the best. I don't have XM so I'm stuck with only ESPN for my sportstalk.

Soul Daddy 10-28-2005 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://wtem.com/main.html

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks man. I've been experiencing Tony Kornheiser Show withdrawals for about two years now. I had no idea about this.

10-28-2005 12:05 PM

IMO, Mike and the mad dog on wfan NY 1-630pm is the nuts

B Dids 10-28-2005 12:53 PM

Tangentially related, but ESPN Radio can basically [censored] off and die for replacing Todd Wright with Jason Smith.

TheRover 10-28-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tangentially related, but ESPN Radio can basically [censored] off and die for replacing Todd Wright with Jason Smith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. Jason Smith may be the worst radio host I've ever heard.

Sluss 10-28-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. Jason Smith may be the worst radio host I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes 10-28-2005 07:39 PM

Somehow, I like listening to JT the brick on Fox sports radio. It runs during some part of the evening. He has excellent reporting on the NFL. I think one of the most interesting sports radio stations I even listen to was the Philadelphia WYSP that covers the Eagles.