Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   HUGE downswing (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366097)

outdrwn 10-26-2005 06:11 PM

HUGE downswing

Hi, I started about a year ago with a 115$ deposit, lost it in about 2 months. Decided to deposit another 115$, and built it up to 1015, which was my peak. Ever since I got there, it's been up and down and mostly down..which I'm at about 150$ now. Seems like too much money to call variance, and I don't THINK I've really changed my play all that much. It feels pretty disgusting to have lost all that though..any suggestions on what to do(besides a flame on quit poker etc.) It just seems like nothing I do can get me back on top again

Guthrie 10-26-2005 06:15 PM

Re: HUGE downswing

Sounds like you're a losing player who happened to hit one good winning streak.

JinX11 10-26-2005 06:17 PM

Or maybe playing a limit that exceeded his bankroll.

PennDisc 10-26-2005 06:19 PM

you didn't mention anything about limits, # of hands, etc. these are crucial to giving you any kind of advice or opinions, even just for you evaluating for yourself. honestly, if you really made this post without even considering including this information (and even worse, you don't know/have this data), then you most likely don't understand variance - or poker.

jman220 10-26-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I started about a year ago with a 115$ deposit, lost it in about 2 months. Decided to deposit another 115$, and built it up to 1015, which was my peak. Ever since I got there, it's been up and down and mostly down..which I'm at about 150$ now. Seems like too much money to call variance, and I don't THINK I've really changed my play all that much. It feels pretty disgusting to have lost all that though..any suggestions on what to do(besides a flame on quit poker etc.) It just seems like nothing I do can get me back on top again

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were Playing $.50/$1 thats a little steep to be variance. If you were playing $3/6 or $5/$10, it wasn't. What stakes do you play?

outdrwn 10-26-2005 06:21 PM

Maybe, but I was stagnant at 3-400 for about 2 weeks, then jumped jumped jumped, went down and up and down and up, I lost about 400$ yesterday in heads up(won 3 50's, lost a 50, lost a 100, lost a 200,+rake), combined with a 150$ loss of a "loose" call when I was at a 100$ game with 250, then pretty much steamed off the rest of my stack when I pushed AQs UTG, got called by AK(6 handed). steaming is a bitch....

yanicehand 10-26-2005 06:25 PM

I'm about -$11k for the last 2.5 months (shameless whining), and I am still a winning player. The fact that losing about 900$ "is too much to be variance" is completely ludicrous. Variance isn't in $ amounts, its in bet sizes.

outdrwn 10-26-2005 06:26 PM

50-100NL games,30$SnG's whichever I could find a good game(which I apparently am not good at) I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive, and when I get a lot of money (say 2 1/2 buy ins) I pretty much give it away(although I always thought it was the cards, denial?).I played about 2 hours a day, give or take some... thanks for the feedback...

outdrwn 10-26-2005 06:27 PM

[censored] heads up poker. For 10-50$ its good, but higher than that with my bankroll (less than 1000) is what killed me. Absolutely killed me.

10-26-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive

[/ QUOTE ] This might have killed you too. If you are a winning player, you could still experience a lot of variance when your vpip is 30+% AND you are aggressive.

A_C_Slater 10-26-2005 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50-100NL games,30$SnG's whichever I could find a good game(which I apparently am not good at) I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive, and when I get a lot of money (say 2 1/2 buy ins) I pretty much give it away(although I always thought it was the cards, denial?).I played about 2 hours a day, give or take some... thanks for the feedback...

[/ QUOTE ]

You are playing too high. You would need about 50 buy ins for SNGs and 20 buy ins for the 50-100NL cash game. Read the FAQs in the single table tournament and small stakes NL forums for bankroll requirments.

outdrwn 10-26-2005 06:52 PM

Yeah, I read HOHv2's heads up section, and various other articles and I thought, man, I'd be great at this. Won 8 heads up in a row for 10$ once, thought i was the [censored](this was about a month ago) and when i started losing (about back down to 500) is when I went back into the higher stakes ones, figurin to make a quick buck back) or lose even more bankroll)... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] heads up is about 35% luck, anyone else agree?

elmo 10-26-2005 07:42 PM

depends on the size of the blinds...

10-26-2005 07:45 PM

How old are you?

And do you have any income? Why are you playing such high stakes?

adamstewart 10-26-2005 09:39 PM

I'm down $4000 since Saturday.

I'm frighteningly pissed off.

Adam

TexArcher 10-26-2005 09:54 PM

Re: How old are you?

For one thing you are playing above your bankroll. You ran $115 up to ten times that amount, that's the good news, the bad news is that you gave back almost half of it in one day. And that's AWFUL news. A lot of players have a hard time moving back down once they've moved up. Don't make that mistake again, there's no shame in moving down during a cold streak.

Whenever I run cold I always, without exception, take a day or two off and study poker instead of playing poker. I read poker almost daily either way, but I'm talking about not playing a single hand for a couple of days and hitting the books hard, for several hours. Even if it's just rereading a text that I've already read. It reminds me of just how much I've outstudied most of the competition and it helps to get some perspective. Losing nights and bad beats are part of the game and they should be expected. When they start to drive you crazy take a step back and get your head right before you play your next hand.

Nothing personal, but it sounds like you could stand to do some reading on bankroll management.

Best of luck...

Klepton 10-27-2005 12:25 AM

lock this thread.

fsuplayer 10-27-2005 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm about -$11k for the last 2.5 months (shameless whining), and I am still a winning player

[/ QUOTE ]

either you dont play very often, or you are a losing player.

10-27-2005 01:40 AM

This is obviously your problem. Stop sitting down with a fifth of your roll while on tilt (moving up in stakes on a downswing is a sign of ADDICTION and TILT). Stop making loose calls. Stop pushing PF with AQs (who is going to call you here? QQ+. Make a note on the guy who called PF. Unless it was very very obvious that you were tilting, its a donk call, and even if he had a solid read on you its still a donk call).

For now go bonus whore (Absolute has a big reload every few days and Bet365 has $150 bonus for october, these will give you a start to build up enough to play NL25. Don't play on a site unless you are actively whoring a bonus so that every cent of your rake comes back to you while you are building up a roll)

let me repeat: if you start to steam, just log off. Do something completely unrelated to poker for an hour. Come back with a clear(er) head, look at your PT history for the session, learn from your mistakes, and post a few hands on 2+2. After doing this sign back on and double up off of some donks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MicroBob 10-27-2005 02:34 AM

This is fairly normal variance.
This is bad bankroll management.
This is a player who really doesn't understand much.
This is probably someone who does not play a winning game....but possibly plays break-even poker.

Any time anybody says something like "I play good starting hands" then you know you have player who isn't very good. Anyone who thinks this is worth mentioning just doesn't understand winning poker.
Anyone who posts about how much money they have lost without mentioning the stakes or how many hands this has taken place over clearly doesn't "get it" either.

SoftcoreRevolt 10-27-2005 02:40 AM

So what you are saying is you play good cards.

And really bad ones too.

DcifrThs 10-27-2005 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lock this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
i would but im not the mod here...

this would be locked and or moved/deleted in mid high.

HOWEVER, keep in mind this is "general" holdem, which this thread does fall under...

Barron

einbert 10-27-2005 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fairly normal variance.
This is bad bankroll management.
This is a player who really doesn't understand much.
This is probably someone who does not play a winning game....but possibly plays break-even poker.

Any time anybody says something like "I play good starting hands" then you know you have player who isn't very good. Anyone who thinks this is worth mentioning just doesn't understand winning poker.
Anyone who posts about how much money they have lost without mentioning the stakes or how many hands this has taken place over clearly doesn't "get it" either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post, this should be stickied.

10-27-2005 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For now go bonus whore (Absolute has a big reload every few days and Bet365 has $150 bonus for october, these will give you a start to build up enough to play NL25. Don't play on a site unless you are actively whoring a bonus so that every cent of your rake comes back to you while you are building up a roll)

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't he have to play the $1/$2 tables (limit) to clear the bonus? Seems kinda high for his bankroll.

stoxtrader 10-27-2005 12:26 PM

sigh.

utmt40 10-27-2005 01:21 PM

This is the dumbest most mind numbing thread I have ever read in my life.

EStreet20 10-27-2005 02:12 PM

You're playing way above your bankroll. It was only a matter of time before you went broke or near broke.

10-27-2005 03:34 PM

nope. i cleared it at .10/.20 with a $50 roll buying in short.

outdrwn 10-27-2005 03:59 PM

shut the [censored] up aiight i get it

10-27-2005 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nope. i cleared it at .10/.20 with a $50 roll buying in short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird, says $1/$2 at their site. Guess I'm confused [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

outdrwn 10-27-2005 04:00 PM

I wouldn't post that here your just gonna get flamed by some douche.

outdrwn 10-27-2005 04:04 PM

why? It's generated quite a lot of help and advice for me, as well as a few other players who may be experiencing the same things. Just because you either haven't hit one or just think your too sweet doesn't mean you can't take some advice.

lefty rosen 10-27-2005 04:49 PM

Dude this downswing is a hiccup because of the lack of bankroll management. Now your knowledge of the game might be not as strong as you say as your love of small suited connectors is a death wish with a small roll online(or live). Only the most skilled can play like Gus........ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

utmt40 10-27-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why? It's generated quite a lot of help and advice for me, as well as a few other players who may be experiencing the same things. Just because you either haven't hit one or just think your too sweet doesn't mean you can't take some advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry. I dont think I am to sweet, I know I am. This post is stupid. It should be locked...deleted...ect...

BlackRain 10-27-2005 06:28 PM

You need to stop playing poker for a month. Just read poker books and forums like this one non stop. You are getting flamed because you have no idea how ignorant your post and subsequent comments sound. You come off as a total fish, and if you want to take these comments the wrong way, its your money.

utmt40 10-27-2005 06:51 PM

Hey what site do you play at again? Oh, and whats your user name?

jman220 10-27-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true.

Others include:

1. I don't chase.
2. I can beat good players, but I can't beat bad ones.
3. I can't win at that level because no one respects your raises.
4. I am tight aggressive. (they never are).
5. I wouldn't post that here your just gonna get flamed by some douche.

ghostface 10-27-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GOLD

10-28-2005 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true.

Others include:

1. I don't chase.
2. I can beat good players, but I can't beat bad ones.
3. I can't win at that level because no one respects your raises.
4. I am tight aggressive. (they never are).

[/ QUOTE ]

6. I know how to spell you're (they never do)

pudley4 10-28-2005 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shut the [censored] up aiight i get it

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't.

Playing some $50 HU, losing, then jumping to $100, losing, then jumping to $200, is a sign of a losing player who doesn't understand the game or bankroll management.

You. Don't. Get. It.

Now, you can either take our advice and get better, or you can keep whining and losing (just don't do it here because really, no one cares). Your choice.