Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The dude who cried when his K high flush lost (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365987)

10-26-2005 03:45 PM

The dude who cried when his K high flush lost

Did anyone feel bad for this guy? " I played perfectly for 3 days" Give me a break. Do you want your mommy? Maybe David William's mom can bring you some milk and cookies to make you feel better.
Be a man. You're playing poker not tiddly winks.

lonn19 10-26-2005 03:47 PM

Re: The dude who cried when his K high flush lost

[ QUOTE ]
You're playing poker not tiddly winks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come up with an original line.

istewart 10-26-2005 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

10-26-2005 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I wasn't trying to be original when I used that line. Relax [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dynasty 10-26-2005 03:54 PM

The guy overreacted since he wasn't even eliminated. But, you guys are being too rough on him (in this thread and others).

I'm sure all of us have emotionally invested ourselves in something "unimportant" and then had things go bad.

Matt24 10-26-2005 04:01 PM

He went to IU, I Had some classes with him. He ranted about a bad beat for over 30 minutes at the 1k Derby Clash at Caesars Indiana a few months ago. Every single person in the tourney heard about it.

I don't know why he was so hard on himself about the hand, not sure how you fold there.

shaniac 10-26-2005 04:04 PM

Dynasty,

It's not unnatural for poker players to show disdain towards un-restrained displays of emotion, whether it be fist-pumping and going wild (and/or twirling seat covers over heads, etc) after winning a hand, or, um crying after losing a hand (much less a hand where you had the 2nd nuts and, like, didn't go broke, so who cares?).

Point is, yeah I kinda feel bad for the kid, but he shouldn't be playing poker if that's he how deals with situations. If he chooses to play anyway, and finds his moment of emotional weakness nationally televized, that's just bad luck for him. We're poker players, we've trained ourselves to an analyze weaknesses, and I don't see why this kid should get a walk. Especially since he didn't go broke. With the 2nd nuts.

wegs the wegs 10-26-2005 04:06 PM

I just think he was way too hard on himself, sounded like an insecure perfectionist of sorts. And as everyone else agrees, who could honestly lay that down. Kx suited with three hearts on an unpaired board and its not even for all my chips? I call everytime.

shaniac 10-26-2005 04:10 PM

Agreed. I call every time too probably.

But do you cry every time, too?

Insecure perfectionist sounds about right. He might consider taking up chess.

Richard Tanner 10-26-2005 04:10 PM

I'm embarrassed for my school now.

Cody

10-26-2005 04:12 PM

I would not have laid that hand down either. But anyone who plays poker especially no limit has suuffered devastating beats. It is part of the game. This kid crying like he did was just about the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. I have been in games where guys have lost thousands of dollars on a hand, money these guys needed for food and bills, I have seen them walk out of the room and proceed to throw up. but you always keep you're cool at the table.

otnemem 10-26-2005 04:16 PM

I laughed so hard when he started crying. But I listen to a lot of Opie and Anthony, so I'm used to laughing during uncomfortable moments.

Toro 10-26-2005 04:17 PM

I had a completely different take on this guy. I thought that it was an act and he was playing for the cameras.

And if I'm correct, it worked as he got the face time he craved on espn.

shaniac 10-26-2005 04:17 PM

Can we clarify something please?

This was not a "devastating beat" or even a "bad beat." It was, at most, a cold deck.

Looking at the board, Bartholemew had a pair of aces and the nut flush draw, and somehow they both saw the river with Friedman having the second nut flush. I don't know how the action went, or what Friedman considers his Big Mistake in the hand. It's possible it was preflop, on the flop, or maybe Friedman had a freaky-good read that the guy had to have the nuts but didn't go with his instinct and THAT was the mistake. Doesn't matter; at the end of the day, it's nothing to cry about.

Eric Draven 10-26-2005 04:18 PM

I laughed out loud for about a minute when that happened. I can't believe he started crying... Priceless.

shaniac 10-26-2005 04:18 PM

Toro,

If that was an act, it was an amazing job. I really think your read is off here, though. That kid was shook.

10-26-2005 04:26 PM

I guess I prefer to have someone crying and blaming themselves then screaming and blaming something else. I definitely laughed though, crying at the poker table is pitiful. I can always keep my cool better if I'm at a poker table because I don't want to embarrass myself in front of other people. At home by myself on-line I flip out like a sick maniac.

MonkeeMan 10-26-2005 04:29 PM

Didn't Matasow cry on a televised event?

10-26-2005 04:30 PM

I went to high school with Adam. He's not a bad guy, but definitely the type of guy that rubbed some people the wrong way. The crying was definitely not an act though. I have never been in that situation like that, but I think people are being a little hard on him. If I made what I thought was a bad play, I usually get upset with myself not sad, but different people react in different ways. He really should have walked away if he knew he was about to cry, but the ESPN cameras probably would have followed him anyways (i.e. Matusow last year).

Eric Draven 10-26-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was likewise hillarious.

michiganlaw 10-26-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm embarrassed for my school now.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have been embarrassed by your school (IU) long before this joker went there. Go Blue!

Dominic 10-26-2005 04:52 PM

I interviewed this guy on the next break after that beat...he was a tool who wouldn't shut up about "I played perfect for three days yada yada yada..."

Shut up. Move on. Tool.

Eric Draven 10-26-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy overreacted since he wasn't even eliminated. But, you guys are being too rough on him (in this thread and others).

I'm sure all of us have emotionally invested ourselves in something "unimportant" and then had things go bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it, your probably right. When playing for so much, I guess it wouldn't be too hard to lose control of our emotions, and the cameras being there doesn't help.

But you have to admit, it was funny.

10-26-2005 05:10 PM

mike matosow was the greatest though... it was right after I read gigabet's post about how only novices think they "deserve" cards.... and here's a pro, sobbing and saying "WHY? I didnt deseve this!"

Notorious G.O.B. 10-26-2005 05:23 PM

Maybe he was pissed that he didn't fold his draw earlier.

bogey 10-26-2005 05:28 PM

I'm glad they might him look like a complete retard. He and the fat kid with the basketball jersey were the definition of obnoxious the whole tournament.

mostsmooth 10-26-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, but he had just got knocked out iirc

BrianJaye 10-26-2005 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was likewise hillarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You can act like a man! What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood finocchio that ah cries like a woman?" - VITO CORLEONE

willie 10-26-2005 05:58 PM

i feel bad for him all around

doublin someone up when you hold the second nuts just sucks.....

pitiful to sob like a girl though, and then have it televised lol

Toro 10-26-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Toro,

If that was an act, it was an amazing job. I really think your read is off here, though. That kid was shook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my read could be way off, I'll have to watch it again. Maybe the emotions were real but I think the speech about playing perfect for three days was for the cameras.

ononimo 10-26-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the speech about playing perfect for three days was for the cameras.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with you on that one ... it was quite Hellmuthian.

Dynasty 10-26-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"You can act like a man! What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood finocchio that ah cries like a woman?" - VITO CORLEONE

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood what the Don was saying when he said "finocchio". It just sounded like mumbled words to me.

Recently, I learned that's it's an Italian word which basically means "homosexual".

Jibbs 10-26-2005 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck Yeah, I got married once [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Greg (FossilMan) 10-26-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He went to IU, I Had some classes with him. He ranted about a bad beat for over 30 minutes at the 1k Derby Clash at Caesars Indiana a few months ago. Every single person in the tourney heard about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this story and the way his hand on TV were portrayed are both accurate, it appears this kid is not emotionally suited to playing poker.

And to say you played perfect for 3 days ..., well, I'm sorry, nobody plays perfect for 3 days, not even Hellmuth or Matusow, no matter how much they say they do. Anybody who honestly thinks they're playing perfect for more than a few hands, has no real comprehension of poker. You can play great every time you play, or almost, but perfect will never happen for more than a hand or two.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

10-26-2005 07:24 PM

I didn't laugh, but I couldn't watch. It was embarrassing, especially considering that he was already in the money. What do the other 5000 losers do? Marry Oprah?

ChuckyB 10-26-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about...

"You're playing poker, not touching your dinky and having mommy yell at you for it"?

goofball 10-26-2005 08:22 PM

He needs to be man. End of story.

10-26-2005 08:25 PM

anyone else really wish a milwaukee's best can had dropped on him at that point?

I love the idea, I think I might try to make it into an avatar.

would that be as funny as I think it is?

Matt24 10-26-2005 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I interviewed this guy on the next break after that beat...he was a tool who wouldn't shut up about "I played perfect for three days yada yada yada..."

Shut up. Move on. Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was like that in classes too, always had something to say, complain about, etc

10-26-2005 08:33 PM

on another note, what about the guy who seemed to get friendly with phil ivey? the second in chips youngn? he seemed extremely down to earth, until he said "college kids will want to be the next me"... but I'll give him a mulligan, I mean, if I ever make it on camera, I might ham it up.