Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   GG Steve Danneman (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365529)

A_Junglen 10-25-2005 10:36 PM

GG Steve Danneman

Well for those that didn't watch the WSOP this week, Steve Danneman was finally given some coverage. I won't lie..he fits my perceived vision of him nicely. I thought it was really funny how he was on his phone like a little kid about Lederer, and frankly when I think "donkey" the person I envision looks strikingly similar to Mr. Danneman.

A_C_Slater 10-25-2005 10:40 PM

Re: GG Steve Danneman

The guy made runner up in the deep stacked slow blind increasing main event through a field of 6000+. He's not a donkey. No matter how ESPN wants to spin it that way.

From what I hear he tends toward a more tight/conservative almost rock-like play then ultra loose "gotta defend my big blind" with any 2 donkey.

UATrewqaz 10-25-2005 10:43 PM

That's horrible logic. A completely clueless, idiotic player could easily make a final table if the deck hits them in the face and they suck out in key big pots.

A semi-compitent, ok player stands an even better chance.

1 deep run in a big tournament does not a good player make. Let's track Steve's future tournies and see how "good" he is.

A_Junglen 10-25-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy made runner up in the deep stacked slow blinded main event through a field of 6000+. He's not a donkey. No matter how ESPN wants to spin it that way.

From what I hear he tends toward a more tight/conservative almost rock-like play then ultra loose "gotta defend my big blind" with any 2 donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like ESPN could have portrayed him differently. Just look at him...

A_C_Slater 10-25-2005 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's horrible logic. A completely clueless, idiotic player could easily make a final table if the deck hits them in the face and they suck out in key big pots.

A semi-compitent, ok player stands an even better chance.

1 deep run in a big tournament does not a good player make. Let's track Steve's future tournies and see how "good" he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just said he's not a typical donkey "home game" player. I'm not claiming he's World Class.

BillFranklin 10-26-2005 12:32 AM

I remember reading an article where Danneman admitted to being only 4th best player in his regular home game. Doesn't sound that great to me.

Not saying for sure if the guy is donkey (it's had to make that assesment based on the 3-4 hans we saw) but it certainly seems that way. From all accounts he had a decent shot at winning but basically gave up in final hand and went all in because he was tired.

And yes i believe that it is possible for a donkey to get lucky and win a deep stacked tournament. (i.e. Danny Nguyen and some others)

gobboboy 10-26-2005 12:37 AM

He obviously has some skill, he did buyin to the tournament directly instead of qualifying through a satellite. He's not punting 10k without knowing he has a better than average shot.

NLfool 10-26-2005 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He obviously has some skill, he did buyin to the tournament directly instead of qualifying through a satellite. He's not punting 10k without knowing he has a better than average shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a Mortgage Banker/CPA I'm sure he can afford it whether he can play or not. Hell Kate Hudson's brother went bought in for 10k and lost on the first hand to Sammy Farha. Yeah it was a full house but it was tens full on a AAT board (first hand).

ligastar 10-26-2005 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a Mortgage Banker/CPA I'm sure he can afford it whether he can play or not. Hell Kate Hudson's brother went bought in for 10k and lost on the first hand to Sammy Farha. Yeah it was a full house but it was tens full on a AAT board (first hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

The money went in when the board was AATQ. The flop was checked by him and Sammy.

cold_cash 10-26-2005 02:32 AM

The dude may or may not be a "donkey", but one thing is for sure: he's a dickhead.

Way to look like a douche on national TV.

PartySNGer 10-26-2005 03:24 AM

Well, hopefully ESPN really portrays this guy as just your average home game player. It could be great for poker if idiots in home games see this guy and think they can be a winning player.

WhiskyRiver 10-26-2005 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dude may or may not be a "donkey", but one thing is for sure: he's a dickhead.

Way to look like a douche on national TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on the phone during this part and it was on mute, what did he actually say?

10-26-2005 04:02 AM

after norm and lon go on for a couple of minutes about the guys who wanna butt heads with the pros to tell their buddies a great story, he leaves the table, calls a friend and says "man I popped him back with NOTHING. And he just folded"

I think he said more, but thats the gist.

protocol 10-26-2005 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not a donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he doesn't know the difference between a "raise" and a "reraise", so I disagree.

siccjay 10-26-2005 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it was a full house but it was tens full on a AAT board (first hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are you trying to say?

blumpkin22 10-26-2005 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's obviously saying that Hudson was a fu[/i]cking moron for not folding. Duh. Such an easy laydown.

lonn19 10-26-2005 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, he doesn't know the difference between a "raise" and a "reraise", so I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, someone else noticed that. I hate when people make the first raise of a round and say "reraise". Friends I play with do this. They also call a bet by the first to act, a raise. They don't know there is a difference between a bet and raise.

RoyalLance 10-26-2005 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was really funny how he was on his phone like a little kid about Lederer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lederer Should have emptied out that dude'd pockets just for that.

cracker9521 10-26-2005 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading an article where Danneman admitted to being only 4th best player in his regular home game. Doesn't sound that great to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he took that from Amarillo Slim's biography where he likes to act like a fish and say he is the "fourth best player in his game in (insert small town name here) Texas." I'm not defending his play one way or the other but it really just seems like he got that quote from the book.

lonn19 10-26-2005 09:30 AM

Danneman said, " I just popped it 30,000 and he folded. He looks like his dog was just shot."

palman 10-26-2005 10:43 AM

How on earth anyone could think he looked like a dickhead for calling his friend on the phone? Nothing he said on the phone was even remotely obnoxious.

Most of these people go out there to bluff the pros, and when they pull one off I'm sure its a huge thrill.

runnerunner 10-26-2005 10:47 AM

I played with Danneman for about 4 hours on the second day of the tournament and he is no donkey. The main attribute that you need to make it through such a long tourney is patience and you need to be VERY careful. All it takes is one mistake and you are gone. Danneman is a very thoughtful, calculating player who takes his time with his decisions.

I also played most of day two with Tex Barch and he is REALLY good.

10-26-2005 10:53 AM

Why the hell couldn't it wait until the session was over? He made it obvious he just bluffed Lederer, then Howard used it against him later on. I guarantee you 80% of the people who saw what he did thought it was rude.

StLouisMike 10-26-2005 11:11 AM

Whether he is a good player or a horrible one he sure didn't act with a lot of class. I cannot figure out what it is about these major tournaments that make people fiend to make a complete ass out of themselves. Have some respect for yourself and act like you have done it before. It is easy to see on tv that this tournament has been filled with horrible, unusual play. THE M.E. SHOULD NOT BE A CORPORATE OUTING FANTASY CAMP. I have never played in a major tournament but, I think raising the entry fees and limiting the players is the right thing to do.

Mike

cold_cash 10-26-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth anyone could think he looked like a dickhead for calling his friend on the phone? Nothing he said on the phone was even remotely obnoxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

MeanGreenTT 10-26-2005 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's obviously saying that Hudson was a fu[/i]cking moron for not folding. Duh. Such an easy laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] wow.......

Ulysses 10-26-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell Kate Hudson's brother went bought in for 10k and lost on the first hand to Sammy Farha. Yeah it was a full house but it was tens full on a AAT board (first hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't go broke on that hand as well, then you truly are an NLFool.

RoyalLance 10-26-2005 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising the entry fees and limiting the players is the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a bad idea. If movie ticket prices can go up, why not the WSOP Main Event?

Since $10,000 back when the WSOP started is equivalent to over $50,000 in 2005, why not hike the buy-in to $50K? That would be interesting to see Harrah's apply the law of inflation here.

SossMan 10-26-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hell Kate Hudson's brother went bought in for 10k and lost on the first hand to Sammy Farha. Yeah it was a full house but it was tens full on a AAT board (first hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, no. did you see the hand? He didn't play it very well.

10-26-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's a Mortgage Banker/CPA I'm sure he can afford it whether he can play or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Since when does that job = big money?

cookieb 10-26-2005 01:23 PM

I believe Danneman prefaced his story to his friend by saying that Lederer was in a tough run of cards and bad luck and that he used this knowledge to make the bluff, since lederer had recently lost a third (actually a half) of his stack, does not sound that donkeyish to me, sounds like using good information to make a nice play.

cold_cash 10-26-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe Danneman prefaced his story to his friend by saying that Lederer was in a tough run of cards and bad luck and that he used this knowledge to make the bluff, since lederer had recently lost a third (actually a half) of his stack, does not sound that donkeyish to me, sounds like using good information to make a nice play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all fine and good, but getting up the instant the hand was over to call your friend and brag about it was total douchebaggery.

SossMan 10-26-2005 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's a Mortgage Banker/CPA I'm sure he can afford it whether he can play or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of Mortgage Banker's in this area make $1m+ yearly.

mhcmarty 10-26-2005 02:23 PM

That's all fine and good, but getting up the instant the hand was over to call your friend and brag about it was total douchebaggery.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the editing they do, how do you know it was done instantly after the hand was over. I was on the rail watching some of the action at the ESPN table and didn't see him act out of line at all.

stabn 10-26-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, no. did you see the hand? He didn't play it very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also went broke on an AATQ board correct, not an AAT board?

10-26-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of Mortgage Banker's in this area make $1m+ yearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mortgage banker is merely a mortgage lender. I just went to several sites and the average salary is approx $45k. I guess like any profession you have a few +9 std dev types that make big money, while the rest drive Hondas.

10-26-2005 02:36 PM

1) we don't know the time between when the hand ended and when the call was made.

2) at the time of the hand, I believe play was hand-for-hand, meaning a lot of dead time between hands. It took 90 minutes to play the 13 hands required to eliminate places 569 through 561.

ShadowNC 10-26-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the editing they do, how do you know it was done instantly after the hand was over. I was on the rail watching some of the action at the ESPN table and didn't see him act out of line at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the first thing I thought when they showed him making the phone call. I couldn't help but wonder if it was immediately after the hand or if it took place during a break 30 mins later. How can you really tell given the fact that ESPN is known to edit stuff to make more of a 'story' for TV.

Something else that kind of annoyed me was why in the hell is ESPN so focused on a guy's personal phone call in the first place? I'm guessing all the guys at the featured table are mic'd and maybe he forgot that when he made the call. But I don't think that gives ESPN a right to put that on the air....does it?

cold_cash 10-26-2005 02:49 PM

The point was not the time frame during which the call was made, but rather that the call was made at all.

And also, if you listed to his tone during the call it's obvious to anyone who isn't deaf and/or blind that the guy is a tool.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear him use the term "Pocket Rockets" or "American Airlines" to describe his pocket Aces.

DonkeyChip 10-26-2005 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't think that gives ESPN a right to put that on the air....does it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's the fine print you sign off when you register that gives them the right.