Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFC North Championship Game This Weekend (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364742)

Clarkmeister 10-24-2005 10:12 PM

NFC North Championship Game This Weekend

This weekend, the Packers and Vikings are going to lose to the Bengals and Panthers, respectively. That will drop them to 1-6 and 2-5.

Meanwhile, the Bears and Lions play head to head. The winner goes to 4-3 with a one game lead on the loser and a 2-game lead over the Vikings. Even more significantly, if the Bears win, they will effectively have a TWO game lead on the Lions, since a win would mean a season sweep of the series, giving them the tiebreaker.

This game is huge. As big a 3-3 vs 3-3 game you're going to find.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-24-2005 10:28 PM

Re: NFC North Championship Game This Weekend

Bears are a better team in all aspects. It's been brought up many many times. It will be closer than the last game, but I am sure the bears will be able to score 2-3 offensive touchdowns, which will put the Lions out of the game.

lastchance 10-24-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bears are a better team in all aspects. It's been brought up many many times. It will be closer than the last game, but I am sure the bears will be able to score 2-3 offensive touchdowns, which will put the Lions out of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the Bears are a better team, but the Lions do have Kevin Jones and talented WR's. I think their offense is better, but the Bears D is awesome, while the Lions D sucks, so the Bears are going to win handily.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-24-2005 11:12 PM

Nothing wrong with Kevin Jones IMO, but I think people give these WR too much credit. They look really nice on paper, but Jeff Garcia is still not much of a QB. Plus the Bears will be able to get to him with their front four.

The one thing about the Bears offense is that is can only get better. Thomas Jones is really finding a rythym on this team and who knows maybe we can pass for more than 200 yards for once. From watching the Bears games so far this year it just seems like when they get some confidence they can really move the ball.

lastchance 10-24-2005 11:17 PM

Kyle Orton is worse than Jeff Garcia.

Jeff Garcia sucks, but right now, Kyle Orton makes sure the Bears don't have any semblance of a passing game, not that they shouldn't play him or anything, because if he's decent, the Bears look really good going forward, but right now, he's not doing anything.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-24-2005 11:20 PM

Correct Kyle is not as good as Jeff is right now. He just has to make a couple of 5 yard throws and no picks or fumbles and the Bears will win.

Clarkmeister 10-24-2005 11:25 PM

The key to the game is that Detroit has a terrible offense and a terrible defense, while the Bears merely have a terrible offense.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-24-2005 11:30 PM

But the Bears do have a good running game.

edit: and their special teams are nothing to write home to mom about.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-25-2005 12:29 AM

The bottom line is that both teams are equally adept at blowing a game.

lastchance 10-25-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the bottom line is what Clark said. The Bears suck marginally worse than the Lions on offense, IMHO, while the Bears have one of the best defenses in the league, and the Lions D just sucks.

MarkL444 10-25-2005 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The key to the game is that Detroit has a terrible offense and a terrible defense, while the Bears merely have a terrible offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain how the lions have a "terrible defense"

Sluss 10-25-2005 06:46 AM

I kind of agree with Mark. The Lions defense is alright. If they have no Bly or Rogers though it is going to be really hard for the Lions to slow down the Bears running game.

I'm not real sure on the health of Kevin Jones. If he is really good enough to go and not the shell of himself he was last week they can cause the Bears some trouble running the ball, with Schlessinger back this week.

In the end though it comes down to Jeff Garcia, who has looked antsy and happy footed in the pocket and is checking down way too much. In other words he looks like the Jeff Garcia from his last year in San Fran and in Cleveland. Not a savior, barely even a stop gap.

phillydilly 10-25-2005 10:04 AM

alright, i'm going to put together an arguement for my lions, here goes...

bears away 0-2
lions home 2-1
adv lions

garcia is no world beater, but the team had an entirely different feel with garcia.
Orton has 7 ints and 3 fumbles in 6 games, and the lions have a big play defense.
adv lions

in the previous game harrington had 5 picks. There is no way garcia turns the ball over this much.

its only one game, but the team is avg 250 yds of offense, but with garcia in, they put up 323. Also garcia should be slightly healthier, and have better chemistry with this receiving corp

ford field is going to go absolutely crazy. Garcia's first home game, and the first big game since ford field has been built

detroit wins this one 20-13

pokerdirty 10-25-2005 10:09 AM

i couldn't stop laughing during this entire thread. thanks clark!

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-25-2005 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the bottom line is what Clark said. The Bears suck marginally worse than the Lions on offense, IMHO, while the Bears have one of the best defenses in the league, and the Lions D just sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
NFC North intradivisional games are very often not decided on paper.

Clarkmeister 10-25-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the previous game harrington had 5 picks. There is no way garcia turns the ball over this much.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that they lost by like 80 points in that game, right?

Clarkmeister 10-25-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You aren't letting games vs. Baltimore and Cleveland fool you, are you? Look at what the Bears did to them offensively last game, that should be ample evidence as the Bears don't do that against anyone.

MarkL444 10-25-2005 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. You aren't letting games vs. Baltimore and Cleveland fool you, are you? Look at what the Bears did to them offensively last game, that should be ample evidence as the Bears don't do that against anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

14 of those points came from defense/st. and it doesnt hurt when joey keeps handing you the ball. rest assured things will be different this time.

Clarkmeister 10-25-2005 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14 of those points came from defense/st. and it doesnt hurt when joey keeps handing you the ball. rest assured things will be different this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. Look at all the points Jeff put up against Cleveland. I'm sure it'll be easier against the Bears D.

Clarkmeister 10-25-2005 11:50 AM

BTW, does Detroit have the most overrated WR corps ever? I vote maybe.

MarkL444 10-25-2005 11:51 AM

blah blah blah...we'll see what happens. just make sure you have that c-note ready for me.

Clarkmeister 10-25-2005 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
blah blah blah...we'll see what happens. just make sure you have that c-note ready for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

blah blah blah stop throwing actual performance at me blah blah blah. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The good thing for me is that this game is way more important to Detroit than the Bears due to the tiebreaker situation.

Soul Daddy 10-25-2005 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, does Detroit have the most overrated WR corps ever? I vote maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be easier to evaluate if they ever actually saw the field.

bugstud 10-25-2005 01:37 PM

I'm buying the line to +3.5 and betting bears here.

Sluss 10-25-2005 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bears away 0-2
lions home 2-1
adv lions

[/ QUOTE ]
Your best point

[ QUOTE ]
garcia is no world beater, but the team had an entirely different feel with garcia.
Orton has 7 ints and 3 fumbles in 6 games, and the lions have a big play defense.
adv lions

[/ QUOTE ] Garcia has struggled against pressure defenses the last few years. Orton had 5 ints and fumble in one game. So throw that one out and you have 2 ints and 2 fumbles in six games for a rookie. Plus, if the Lions are worried about Orton they are screwed. The Bears are going to pound it right down the throat of a Rogersless d-line. Orton will have no reason to even try and throw a bad ball.

[ QUOTE ]
its only one game, but the team is avg 250 yds of offense, but with garcia in, they put up 323. Also garcia should be slightly healthier, and have better chemistry with this receiving corp

[/ QUOTE ] Ummm..what reciever corps. A rookie who hasn't been as good as expected and a guy who started the year 6th on the depth chart. Oh, maybe they can rush a gimpy Roy Williams back. And by the way they played the Browns last week.

[ QUOTE ]
ford field is going to go absolutely crazy. Garcia's first home game, and the first big game since ford field has been built

[/ QUOTE ]Unless they are throwing octopi Detroit is never crazy at sporting events.

banditbdl 10-25-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless they are throwing octopi Detroit is never crazy at sporting events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really need to be reminded of Pistons v. Pacers last November?

10-25-2005 06:52 PM

[/ QUOTE ]Unless they are throwing octopi Detroit is never crazy at sporting events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been to Ford Field? or even a Detroit sporting event for that matter?

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-26-2005 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been to Ford Field? or even a Detroit sporting event for that matter?

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing I will say about Detroit is that they have great fans who stick with the teams even through the lean years.

Sluss 10-26-2005 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will admit I have not been. However, I will remind you that almost every fan thinks there fans are the craziest. I have been to the Vet and Foxboro stadium (the old stadiums not the new ones which are not as loud). For all of the crazieness about the Vet, I thought Foxboro was better. I also thought Soldier Field which also has a big reputation was not as loud or intimidating as Philly or Foxboro, though slightly more than Buffalo.

Most of my knowlege of big games at Ford Field is Thanksgiving games. They seem to be the loudest. However, I have never seen a visiting team have a problem with the noise. I do think the Lons play a little better there. Which has more to do with they are really bad on the road.

And about the brawl, one guy throwing a cup at a guy with impulse control problems does not not make them crazy fans.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-26-2005 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will remind you that almost every fan thinks there fans are the craziest.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. If it helps you believe a little bit more, I hate Detroit. I don't like it one bit. The one thing Detroit has going for it is the fans of their sports. I haven't been to Ford Field, but I have been to the Silverdome (in its last year of existence) and it was among the biggest stadiums in the country and they filled it even when the Lions sucked. It's easy to love the Red Wings lately, but it's not a bandwagon thing they've got going on there - they really do love the Wings. Same with the Pistons and not quite the same level with the Tigers, but still pretty close. Their fans are for real.

The weirdest thing about Detroit is the way the residents there think it's the greatest place on Earth, when it's so clearly the biggest dump in the nation. It's the poorest big city in the United States, but the way Detroit residents would talk, you'd think it was [censored] Disneyland. Yeah, everybody says their hometown is the best, but they take it to a whole 'nother level - it's like they're brainwashed. This extends to their sports teams. People in Detroit are [censored] up.

10-26-2005 12:41 PM

did anyone mention injuries to Detroit? You Detroit fans are making Garcia look like the second coming of Christ.

Considering that Detroit got their asses handed to them the last time they met - and now this:

Kevin
Johnson, WR Oct. 25 - IR
Shaun
Rogers, DT Oct. 24 - QUESTIONABLE
Jeff
Backus, OT Oct. 24 - QUESTIONABLE
Roy
Williams, WR Oct. 23 - OUT
Kevin
Jones, RB Oct. 23 - QUESTIONABLE

...how does it even look remotely possible that Detroit is going to win? They've got RW McQuarters playing for them now. You think that's an upgrade? The Bears D is incredibly stingy vs. the run, and 2 of their famed 3 "great recieving corps" are out. They've got Pollard to throw to... and he ain't going to be catching bombs. The only chance Detroit has to win this game is a turnover frenzy.

MarkL444 10-29-2005 10:42 AM

btw i dont think this game is *that* important. its a big one of course, but the lions arent healthy right now. next week theyll have c rogers back, hopefully roy williams. lets see what a competent QB (experienced at least) can do with them. plus bly and s rogers are out this week.

they should be a much better team in the 2nd half than who they were in the first half.

even if chicago wins sunday, i still expect the lions to finish above them.

Clarkmeister 10-29-2005 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw i dont think this game is *that* important. its a big one of course, but the lions arent healthy right now. next week theyll have c rogers back, hopefully roy williams. lets see what a competent QB (experienced at least) can do with them. plus bly and s rogers are out this week.

they should be a much better team in the 2nd half than who they were in the first half.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's absurd IMO to think they could overcome a full 2-game deficit. Seriously. Sounds like someone is getting nervous prior to the game.

Clarkmeister 10-29-2005 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's absurd IMO to think they could overcome a full 2-game deficit. Seriously. Sounds like someone is getting nervous prior to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially with the rest of their schedule. They have two guaranteed losses @Dallas and @Pittsburgh. Two very likely losses vs. Cincinnati and vs. Atlanta. Winnable but not probable road games @GB, @MIN, @NO. Their only real easy spot is at home vs Arizona, and does anyone really think that's not a loseable game?

You are confusing Garcia with Montana, your WR's with a corps that has actually accomplished anything, and your RB with someone useful and durable. 2 games is insurmountable here.

MarkL444 10-29-2005 11:28 AM

and the bears schedule is almost the same, right?

Clarkmeister 10-29-2005 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar, yes. But When your realistic best case is 4-4, it's damn tough to hope the other team goes 2-6. That's a nasty parlay.

TheHip41 10-29-2005 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the Bears are a better team, but the Lions do have Kevin Jones and talented WR's. I think their offense is better, but the Bears D is awesome, while the Lions D sucks, so the Bears are going to win handily.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. WE have 0 receivers now. They are all hurt.

Are starting receivers this week are
Mike williams
2. Some dude I can't remember his name, but had like 6 catches last week
3. Martinez? Some latin name. That's it

C. Rodgers is suspended, Roy williams hurt, Eddie Drummond hurt, Kevin Johnson hurt.

And for your info, the defense is the only part of this team that is any good. It's the reason the Lions are 1-5

I think the bears defense is the only group, ie, defense or offense, in the NFC north that's good. the other 7 groups from det, minn, gb, and chi offense are either average or really bad.

MarkL444 10-29-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar, yes. But When your realistic best case is 4-4, it's damn tough to hope the other team goes 2-6. That's a nasty parlay.

[/ QUOTE ]

well heres to hoping the steelers have their playoff seed locked by week 17 and start maddox.

Clarkmeister 10-30-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the bears defense is the only group, ie, defense or offense, in the NFC north that's good. the other 7 groups from det, minn, gb, and chi offense are either average or really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's been my hope.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-30-2005 02:10 PM

After the first Lions drive I think it will be a loooong day for Jeff Garcia.