Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Remedies that shorten the common cold (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364343)

Luzion 10-24-2005 01:23 PM

Remedies that shorten the common cold

I caught a cold recently. I did some googling and decided I was going to finally try sucking on some Cold-Eeze and see how well it works. But I changed my mind and decided to take megadoses of Vitamin C and see how that works on reducing the length of my cold. I jumped on the regime a bit late, but Im going for 1000mg of Vitamin C three times a day.

Can you guys share their experiences with popular remedies? Ill be especially interested in knowing how Vitamin C or Cold-eeze has worked for them in shortening their colds.

Zoelef 10-24-2005 01:30 PM

Re: Remedies that shorten the common cold

Vitamin C is a water-soluble antioxidant, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water across the day.

Shajen 10-24-2005 01:33 PM

http://www.hibermate.com/images/sleep-mask.jpg

noggindoc 10-24-2005 01:39 PM

airborne seems to work well, similar to cold eeze, but you really have to take it like the instant you think you are getting sick or it doesn't work...

Blarg 10-24-2005 02:41 PM

I think Vitamin C helps. But raw garlic is the real ticket for me.

spamuell 10-24-2005 02:56 PM

Leeches, raw spiders, eye of newt.

10-24-2005 03:23 PM

I have found that taking mega Vitamin C doses causes diarrhea. After that, the cold was the lesser of my worries [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brad22 10-24-2005 03:29 PM

I posted a thread about this that had some good ideas - check it out.

Link

nothumb 10-24-2005 03:44 PM

Drink a pint of whiskey, turn the heat all the way up, and sleep under about five blankets. Preferably take the day off if you do this.

My solution to colds is not to get them. I've been doing pretty well so far.

NT

Blarg 10-24-2005 03:46 PM

It can do that if you are sensitive to it, take too much, or take it unbuffered. It can definitely be hard on some people to suddenly step it up dramatically. It is an acid, after all.

Luzion 10-24-2005 04:17 PM

Yeah, I already read that you have to be careful of taking too much. Otherwise you get diarrhea, and have to adjust the dosage to fit how much you can tolerate.

Skipbidder 10-24-2005 09:14 PM

I don't have personal experience using Cold-eeze or vitamin C for cold treatment.

I will, however, butt in and comment about the lack of evidence for such things.

The studies on zinc effectiveness are unconvincing. This is quite disappointing, since the common cold costs so much (because it is common) in terms of lost days for people. The makers of Cold-eeze were way overboard with their claims. They got so bad that the FTC even brought charges against them. You have to be pretty ridiculous before the FTC charges you.

If you do decide to use zinc (which I wouldn't recommend), then I'd strongly recommend using a lozenge rather than a nasal spray (which will expose you to a small but worrisome risk of losing your sense of smell).

Linus Pauling advocated use of very high doses of vitamin C, first for prevention of the cold and eventually for prevention of cancer. The research that he based this on was remarkably poor. When the Mayo Clinic tried to repeat it under actual scientific conditions, they could not do so. Once again disappointing, and by orders of magnitude more disappointing than with the common cold. Pauling was a brilliant man who could not accept that he wasn't right about this subject. He even went so far as to kill lab animals and impound the research of someone who was working with him whose research showed higher rates of cancer in experimental rats taking large doses of vitamin C. This scientist (Arthur Robinson) sued. The case was settled, including payment for Robinson's legal fees and for slander and libel by Pauling.

The study evidence is very much against vitamin C for colds as well. In the dosages that Pauling recommended, you are likely to experience diarrhea. If you take the high doses that he recommended for cold prophylaxis, you are putting yourself at risk for kidney stones.

If you do decide to take vitamin C for a cold, I would suggest that you not take megadoses. Some of the literature that (weakly) suggested positive results for vitamin C (by Dr. Anderson in Canadian Medical Association Journal about 30 years ago) used much lower doses than Pauling. He used 1500 mg on the first day and 1000 on the next 4 days. (He found no difference between a sustained release vs. regular vitamin C formulation.)

For my patients who want to use vitamin C anyway, my recommendation is trying to increase their intake of vitamin C containing foods and to take no more than the 1500 mg on day one and 1000 on days 2-5 that Anderson used.

Leo99 10-24-2005 09:25 PM

I use Cold-Eeze and I think it works. I always have a stash of Cold-eeze on hand and take them at the first sign of symptoms like dizziness, achey body pain. The Zicam homeopathic seems to work too but I only take the quick dissolving lozenges not the nose swabs or sprays.

tek 10-24-2005 09:32 PM

Alka-Seltzer Cold Remedy is the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Skipbidder 10-24-2005 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use Cold-Eeze and I think it works. I always have a stash of Cold-eeze on hand and take them at the first sign of symptoms like dizziness, achey body pain. The Zicam homeopathic seems to work too but I only take the quick dissolving lozenges not the nose swabs or sprays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Colds are variable in length and symptom severity. Thus, it is not very reliable to place a great deal of weight on individual claims. The way we test these claims is by double-blinded placebo-controlled trials. When you do these, neither zinc nor vitamin C have good results.

If you were to go to other forums on this board, they talk about a subject that we don't so much bring up here. Sometimes people make subjective estimates about how unlucky they are (or claims that a site is rigged). We don't take their word for it. The patient folks analyze the available data.

Zicam isn't homeopathic at all. Their claim is nothing more than an attempt to avoid regulation. The zinc is full therapeutic-strength without any dilution. If they tried to market it honestly, they would come under more scrutiny for their claims.

JonPKibble 10-24-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be pretty ridiculous before the FTC charges you.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is make a statement that you can "cure, treat, or diagnose a disease" and the FTC will shut you down. That is, unless you've paid them a large sum of money to approve your remedy as a "drug".

Skipbidder 10-24-2005 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to be pretty ridiculous before the FTC charges you.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is make a statement that you can "cure, treat, or diagnose a disease" and the FTC will shut you down.

[/ QUOTE ]
The FTC is woefully undermanned in this particular area. Many of those who happen to get sanctioned get away with continuing their violations because of this fact.

[ QUOTE ]
That is, unless you've paid them a large sum of money to approve your remedy as a "drug".

[/ QUOTE ]
I am confident that you cannot provide an example of this. I invite you to attempt to prove me wrong.

Luzion 10-24-2005 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the additional insight Skipbidder.

10-25-2005 12:08 AM

Before I get in my car for my daily 2 hour commute I like to down 4 tabs of Tylenol NightTime Sinus and Allergy relief with a tall glass of warm water.

Ray Zee 10-25-2005 12:14 AM

i find that if i get plenty of rest and food and take all the cold remedies, i can knock it out in a week. otherwise it will take seven days.

jokerthief 10-25-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i find that if i get plenty of rest and food and take all the cold remedies, i can knock it out in a week. otherwise it will take seven days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post the same thing. BTW, I just ordered your book this weekend Ray. I'm looking forward to it.