Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   memorized radio calls (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=363086)

jdl22 10-22-2005 01:43 PM

memorized radio calls

What radio calls do you have memorized verbatim? Like most people who have been duck fans since before the mid 90s here is mine:

Huard's gonna go back to throw the ball. Steps up, looks, throws toward the corner of the endzone. IT IS INTERCEPTED, INTERCEPTED THE DUCKS HAVE THE BALL! Down to the 35, the 40 KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE! KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE! the 20, the 10 TOUCHDOWN, KENNY WHEATON ON THE INTERCEPTION! A most improbable finish to the football game...

- Jerry Allen, Washington - Oregon 1994

youtalkfunny 10-22-2005 04:03 PM

Re: memorized radio calls

There's a steal by Bird! Underneath to DJ, he lays it in!

Touchdown, Titans! There are no--flags--on the football--field! It's a miracle! Tennessee has pulled a miracle!

Leon Lett! OH...MY...GOODNESS...GRACIOUS!

Here's Michael at the foul line GOOOOOD! THE BULLS WIN! THEY WIN!

There's a fly ball, deep right field, and...WHAT A GRAB! Evans, leaping high in the air, and robbing Joe Morgan of a home run. Throw to first, they've got the double play.

The Indians win! The Indians win! OH MY GOD, THE INDIANS WIN!

And from the greatest high school football game ever played:

--Look at 33 over there, he's putting his pads back on! They thought it was over!

--All you people who left early, and are listening to this in the parking lot, or driving back to Plano: SHAME ON YOU!

--If they punch it in here, I'm gonna jump right out of this booth!

--No. NO. NO!!! I'm gonna throw up. God bless these boys!

Pudge714 10-22-2005 05:57 PM

"Touch 'em all Joe. You'll never hit a bigger homerun in your life." Tom Cheek- 1993

Acehawk74 10-23-2005 11:56 PM

Dave Mishkin, Tampa Bay Lightning radio voice on 620 WDAE.

"Khabibulin knocks it away... it's done! its over! Its over! Its over!! (Phil Esposito in the background.. Stanley Cup, Tampa Bay YES!!) Dave: The Lightning have won the Stanley Cup! The Lightning have won the Stanley Cup! How does this sound... (Phil yacking in background) The Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning!!"

I will remember that until the day I die.

Also, from the Bucs vs. Rams, week 3 in 2002-2003 season, the season that the Bucs won the SB... Late in the game.. Gene Deckerhoff had the call as Derrick Brooks iced the game with an INT returned for a TD.

"Warner drops back to pass... fires.. AAHH intercepted! Derrick Brooks, 25,20,15,10, 5 TOUCHDOWN Tampa Bay! Derrick Brooks, Bad hammies, going to the locker room!"

He was playing with a pulled hammy, quite painful it appeared. He was holding the back of his leg as he went into the endzone. Quite memorable for me because I was there =)

Josh W 10-24-2005 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And from the greatest high school football game ever played:

--Look at 33 over there, he's putting his pads back on! They thought it was over!

--All you people who left early, and are listening to this in the parking lot, or driving back to Plano: SHAME ON YOU!

--If they punch it in here, I'm gonna jump right out of this booth!

--No. NO. NO!!! I'm gonna throw up. God bless these boys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you fortunate enough to hear that live? I didn't, but have heard recordings of it, right up to the "I'm gonna throw up. God bless these boys." Greatest finish ever.

J

youtalkfunny 10-24-2005 03:31 AM

I saw a link to buy the game on DVD, and I did.

Sorry, can't remember the link. I'm sure you'll find it if you run a search on "Greatest High School Football Game".

It's worth it. I guarantee, you'll cry like a baby if you watch it.

It comes on two discs. You can skip the first disc, which is the first two or three quarters.

10-24-2005 09:23 AM

Jack Buck - "Go crazy folks"

danvh 10-24-2005 12:05 PM

Shot heard round the world.

Grew up in San Francisco..Plus I had an old school tape of baseball songs that had it on it. That tape was awesome come to think of it.

IndieMatty 10-24-2005 12:22 PM

I think it's Vin Scully, his last line of Limp Off home run... "And the Dodgers win the game, 5-4, I don't believe what I just saw!"

SossMan 10-24-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's Vin Scully, his last line of Limp Off home run... "And the Dodgers win the game, 5-4, I don't believe what I just saw!"

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't scully. it was Jack Buck on Radio. Vin was on TV and his call went like this:

"Long line drive to right field, a waaaay back, shhhheeeee isssssssss GOOOOOOOONE!!"

i still get chills.

pokerdirty 10-24-2005 02:30 PM

this is easy.

"and a fly ball to deep right field...this is gonna be a home run...unbelievable! a home run for gibson! and the dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw!"

SossMan 10-24-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is easy.

"and a fly ball to deep right field...this is gonna be a home run...unbelievable! a home run for gibson! and the dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw!, I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!! "

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

miajag81 10-24-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is easy.

"Do you believe in miracles?? YES!!! "

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP

youtalkfunny 10-24-2005 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is easy.

"and a fly ball to deep right field...this is gonna be a home run...unbelievable! a home run for gibson! and the dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Better?

Scully's call is now immortalized in a Wheaties commercial, which is great.

"And so the Dodgers are down to their final out...and look who's coming up! Kirk Gibson, on two bad legs. You talk about a roll of the dice, this is it...

"High fly ball to deep right field...she...is...GOOOOONE!

"The impossible has happened!"

JordanIB 10-24-2005 04:52 PM

"Little roller up along first....BEHIND THE BAG!!! It get through Buckner!! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!!"

Kevin 10-24-2005 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shot heard round the world.

Grew up in San Francisco..Plus I had an old school tape of baseball songs that had it on it. That tape was awesome come to think of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a long drive...it's gonna be...I believe...
The Giants Win the Pennant!
The Giants Win the Pennant!

and they're picking Bobby Thompson up...and carrying him off the field.

One other I remember from an old baseball record with songs and famous calls;
2 and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, One Strike Away.
Struck Him Out a Perfect Game.

(Scully's doing Koufax's perfecto)

Oski 10-24-2005 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't scully. it was Jack Buck on Radio. Vin was on TV and his call went like this:

"Long line drive to right field, a waaaay back, shhhheeeee isssssssss GOOOOOOOONE!!"

i still get chills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also recall Don Drysdale making that home run call. He was so wound up, he could barely speak. I really like this call the best because you can share his excitement and disbelief.

However, looking back on it, I am not sure what broadcast this could have come from.

Buck was doing the network and Scully must have been doing the radio. Could Drysdale have made the Gibson call as well?

Anyone out there remember?

BeatOnRiver 10-24-2005 09:47 PM

whats so special about that high school game i never heard of it before?

SossMan 10-25-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i still get chills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also recall Don Drysdale making that home run call. He was so wound up, he could barely speak. I really like this call the best because you can share his excitement and disbelief.

However, looking back on it, I am not sure what broadcast this could have come from.

Buck was doing the network and Scully must have been doing the radio. Could Drysdale have made the Gibson call as well?

Anyone out there remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

buck was doing the radio for CBS. Scully was on TV (NBC i think)

I can only imagine Drysedale maybe doing the dodgers radio broadcast for the home station. i've never heard it.

youtalkfunny 10-25-2005 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whats so special about that high school game i never heard of it before?

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched high and low, and can't find a link to buy the video.

(Off the top of my foggy head, so all numbers are estimates):

It was 41-17 with about three minutes left, when the wildest series of events that I ever saw began to unfold.

TD makes it 41-24.

Try the onsides kick, recover it. Score again in about three plays. 2-point try no good. 41-30.

Announcers congratulate the kids for not quitting.

Try the onsides kick again. Recover! Go down and score another TD. 41-37.

Wow, what a comeback to make it close.

About a minute left. Try a third onside kick. They recover it again! You should know that the ball took wild bounces on all three onside kick efforts.

Announcers are losing their minds.

They got the ball, less than a minute, need a TD. They get one! Take the lead, 44-41. Four TD's and three onside recoveries in 3:03. Greatest comeback anyone can remember. What heart, what determination. These aren't pros, they're kids. You can't help but be touched.

Only a few seconds left. Time for one more kickoff. Kid lets loose a boomer, sending the deepman retreating back to his three-yard-line to field it. The kick returner has to make an incredible over-the-shoulder catch just to have a chance to return this one.

He returns it, all right. 97 yards for the game-winner!

That great comeback has gone for naught. When the announcer says, "I'm gonna throw up," he wasn't exaggerating.

What an emotional game. I'm getting emotional now, just typing this.

That was the short version. You can read the long version here.

ethan 10-25-2005 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same article I found when I was trying to figure out what you guys were talking about. It's worth noting that there were 30,000 people at the game. It was a Big Deal for the people involved even before the game started.

SL__72 10-25-2005 10:42 AM

PA: "NO! NOOOOOOOOOO! The Arizona Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs!"

Joe Sensor after Doug Brian misses a third EP in one game "What the HELL is going on out there!!??"

SL__72 10-25-2005 10:50 AM

Holy [censored], how'd I forget:
"We'll see you tomorrow night."

TripleH68 10-25-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is easy.

"and a fly ball to deep right field...this is gonna be a home run...unbelievable! a home run for gibson! and the dodgers have won the game, 5-4! I don't believe what I just saw!, I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!! "

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done. The inflection in his voice when he says 'this is gonna be a home run' is priceless.

10-25-2005 12:36 PM

Scott Norwood, barely raises his voice above a whisper, he can fire the shot heard round the world here with only seconds left to go. Here we go, Ligner ready to snap it back to Reich. Here's the snap, the hold, the kick is on it's way, it's long enough, and it is...no good! it is no good! He missed a 47-yard field goal as time runs out. And Norwood, walking slowly and dejectedly off the field.

That's from memory, here is the actual one:

"Scott Norwood, rarely raises his voice above a whisper, he can fire the shot heard round the world now and win a Super Bowl with eight seconds to play…He's made only six of 11 outside the 40. Here we go. Lingner ready to snap it back to Reich. Eight seconds to play. Norwood takes a practice swing with the right leg. Everyone up on their feet, watching intently. Norwood reaches down and takes something off his left cleat, now does it again. Still standing up near his holder, concentrating, waiting for the snap. Here we go, the Super Bowl will ride on the right foot of Norwood. Waiting for the snap, Reich, arm extended, puts it down, on the way, it's long enough…and it is no good. He missed it to the right with four seconds to play. It was long enough but it was no good. And Norwood, walking slowly and dejectedly off the field. Scott Norwood missed a 47-yard field goal that would have won the Super Bowl for the Bills."

So I was off by a ton. But I got the good part.

youtalkfunny 10-25-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same article I found...

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the link to buy the video. It's no longer active.

I found an article that says some media company bought the rights to sell the game on video, but could not find anywhere to buy. Even Ebay turned up empty.