Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Just dropped my Nano... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361873)

Yeti 10-20-2005 06:09 PM

Just dropped my Nano...

and it is now totally fked.

That is all.

Jack of Arcades 10-20-2005 06:11 PM

Re: Just dropped my Nano...

[ QUOTE ]

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

How high did you drop it from? On what did you drop it?

Yeti 10-20-2005 06:14 PM

3ft. Concrete.

It was in my jacket pocket, I had just got out of the car with my jacket screwed up and was in the process of putting it on.

Maulik 10-20-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3ft. Concrete.

It was in my jacket pocket, I had just got out of the car with my jacket screwed up and was in the process of putting it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a 2 yr replacement plan, its the nature of these sort of devices that they will be, beat like Jameson, Jenna, of course.

xorbie 10-20-2005 06:18 PM

Send it back, get a new one? Or no warranty?

I've dropped my mini, not on concrete, but it's been fine always.

asofel 10-20-2005 06:19 PM

i saw a review where they did much worse and it kept working pretty well. either way, isn't apple good about replacing them?

Yeti 10-20-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i saw a review where they did much worse and it kept working pretty well. either way, isn't apple good about replacing them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that review was real, but if you had seen what my screen looks like now you'd swear it was BS.

This is entirely my fault, surely they won't replace? Looking into it now.

I can't even claim that I got it out of my pocket and it was like this, as the right side of the click wheel is depressed slightly and feels weird, kinda obvious it's been dropped.

Dave G. 10-20-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a 2 yr replacement plan, its the nature of these sort of devices that they will be, beat like Jameson, Jenna, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think it's more to do with the crappy manufacturing of this item. I don't think it's good enough to say 'oh well that's just the nature of it, [censored] happens'. So many people are having problems with their Nano like this that it's clearly just shitty design with cheap parts to reduce costs.

My MP3 player (Muro-100, 256mb) is 1 1/2 years old. I've dropped at least 100 times. The screen is cracked from one of the droppages, but it's a small, unimportant crack, and apart from that, it works perfectly. Clearly, it's not 'the nature of these sort of devices' at all.

Apple proves their sucktitude once again by releasing yet another shitty product.

rohjoh 10-20-2005 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that review was real, but if you had seen what my screen looks like now you'd swear it was BS.

I can't even claim that I got it out of my pocket and it was like this, as the right side of the click wheel is depressed slightly and feels weird, kinda obvious it's been dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped my mini, and the wheel was shooved in, I took it to the Apple store, and they exchanged it for me. I dont think the 17 year old behind the couter cared what I did to it, he just gave me a new one.

Dave G. 10-20-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try and get a new one. The mere fact that you dropped it should not result in the unit being destroyed. That's obviously shitty quality and shitty design, and they should take some responsibility for it.

Obviously people are gonna drop these things. They are small. People drop small things. I drop my MP3 player, my cell phones, even my calculator regularly. All of it still works just fine, because these items were made with the expectation that the user will on occasion drop them.

The problem is the Nano, not with people dropping things. Apple need to fix their shitty product, and they should certainly replace yours. I'd just ask for my money back personally.

Yeti 10-20-2005 06:27 PM

Yep.

At least you guys are on my side. Perhaps we could have a whip round if they don't replace it.

I knew someone was gonna mention the ease of the Apple store, and I knew it was gonna infuriate me. Over here we have to send them away. Takes ages from what I recall.

jason_t 10-20-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is the Nano, not with people dropping things. Apple need to fix their shitty product, and they should certainly replace yours. I'd just ask for my money back personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? There are serious physical restrictions to make these devices robust enough to withstand three foot drops onto solid concrete.

man 10-20-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apple proves their sucktitude once again by releasing yet another shitty product.

[/ QUOTE ]
can you name some others? because I'm having trouble naming some others.

Yeti 10-20-2005 06:38 PM

What kind of activities will void my warranty?
Apple’s Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, unauthorised service and unauthorised modifications. Please review the warranty for further details.

Apple reserves the right to refuse service on iPods that are outside their warranty if damage has occurred due to accident, abuse or misuse. In such event, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for details.

swede123 10-20-2005 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I dropped my iMAC G5 from three feet onto concrete the screen broke and the DVD player won't accept discs anymore. Another example of their crappy workmanship. Steve Job is a fucker.

Swede

Dave G. 10-20-2005 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? There are serious physical restrictions to make these devices robust enough to withstand three foot drops onto solid concrete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm serious. Read my other posts. I've dropped several other small, electronic devices many times onto hard surfaces and they continue to function just fine. It's clear that the companies who made these other devices spent some time engineering some shock absorption into the unit.

It's equally clear from the sheer number of people who have had problems with the Nano cracking screens, display stuffing up and breaking, that there is something fundamentally flawed with the design of the Nano.

I know there are physical restrictions, but it's very clear apple have not made enough of an effort to counter what is going to be a common occurance with such a small device.

Dave G. 10-20-2005 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, that sentence was opinionated, so I'll also say Macintosh. I'm not intending to start that argument up, just giving my opinion. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yeti 10-20-2005 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of activities will void my warranty?
Apple’s Limited Warranty for iPod excludes coverage for damage resulting from accident, unauthorised service and unauthorised modifications. Please review the warranty for further details.

Apple reserves the right to refuse service on iPods that are outside their warranty if damage has occurred due to accident, abuse or misuse. In such event, Apple will return your original iPod to you without providing service, and may hold you responsible for shipping costs. See Apple’s Repair Terms and Conditions for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway, based on this, who would send it in? And what would you give as the reason for sending it in.

Thanks.

Yeti 10-20-2005 09:27 PM

I just requested they send a box out for me to return it. I said I had got it out of my pocket today and the screen was fooked.

Whilst I'm not sure at all that they'll replace it, is this unethical?

I've already taking a bashing on an ipod forum so I thought I'd discuss it with some people who actually have a brain.

TheBlueMonster 10-20-2005 09:31 PM

I just think it's weird that their laptops have the special drop protection but the ipods dont. Of course the laptops are more expensive but still....

RacersEdge 10-20-2005 09:32 PM

These flash memory devices are hard to break. My nano seems pretty durable. I assumed you tried to reset it?

Dave G. 10-20-2005 09:34 PM

Haha, you went to an ipod forum?... sorry...

I don't think it's unethical at all. Those things break way too easily and there's no reason why you should have to pay for their dodgy design. Unethical would be you taking a hammer to it and then doing the same.

It's worth trying to get it replaced.

Yeti 10-20-2005 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These flash memory devices are hard to break. My nano seems pretty durable. I assumed you tried to reset it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Dude, the screen is totally f'ed. There's a diagonal black line running from top right to bottom left. To the left of that is a black bar, above it, just white. When I scroll through the menus nothing on the screen changes at all. Maybe I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Anyway, the Nano itself (when turned off) looks exactly the same as it did before, perhaps one or two more tiny scuff marks. If it wasn't for the clickwheel feeling a bit weird I'd be pretty confident they couldn't tell I'd dropped it.

Yeti 10-20-2005 09:42 PM

PS. It is getting funnier.

Thanks for some of the arguments which I adopted as my own :P

Sponger15SB 10-20-2005 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've already taking a bashing on an ipod forum so I thought I'd discuss it with some people who actually have a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when you find these people. Thanks.

Hallett 10-20-2005 10:50 PM

Your avatar is astonishing.

27offsuit 10-21-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Impossibly small"...and fragile.

Exitonly 10-21-2005 12:16 AM

I dont agree w/ the guy sin the ipod forum, i think if you are strraightforward with Apple, i think you could get them to replacee it.

If you "pull the wool over their eyes" i think it's a bit immoral, but i think you could persuade them to replace it. Like you said, a 3 foot fall should not render a device thats intended to be carried around all day, dead.

Ulysses 10-21-2005 04:14 AM

Forums where people have signatures like this are funny:

4G iPod 60GB | Creative MuVo TX FM 1GB | iRiver iMP-350 | Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2 | Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy Amp | PocketDock Line Out + FireWire | iSkin eVo2 Arctic | Contour ShowCase | Shure E2c | Shure E4c | 5714 tracks | 16d15h28m45s | 34.41GB

Yeti 11-01-2005 08:36 AM

Replacement arrived today. No questions asked.

Jack of Arcades 11-01-2005 01:14 PM

Cool, I haven't had problems with my nano (dropped 3 times, one not my fault, one in my skin).