Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   AP club just got busted (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361474)

Triple C 10-20-2005 04:43 AM

AP club just got busted

Another NYC club hit and unfortunately I was there to participate.

At about 2:30 am this morning, the cops strolled in and did their usual routine. Employees were handcuffed, players were required to give their info, but no players were arrested for playing.

No cash outs were paid, the players were released after about 2 hours.

The uniformed officers (not plain clothes) said that they received "a complaint" about the establishment and that's why they showed up.

Does anyone have follow up on what the outcome of the owners/employees has been for the other raids?

Be careful, guys...especially if you have other legal problems like warrants or probation.

whiskeytown 10-20-2005 04:48 AM

Re: AP club just got busted

when I first went to NYC I was paranoid about carrying 1K of my BR in my pocket around Manhattan and New Jersey around 4am - so the 2nd night I just took 400 and ended up winning enough so that I was worried the 2nd night too - but of course no problems.

The point is that I know that crime there isn't as bad as Law and Order portray it (I expected to find 10 dead bodies every day, just like the 10 episodes on TV every day) - but it wasn't to be - the downside is that apparently the NYC Police have time to spare to go after everyone.

Clubs may have to become even more selective on membership - I probably wouldn't be able to just get right in again if I went back -

RB

ansky451 10-20-2005 06:30 AM

Man that [censored] sucks. [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored].

I live in Montreal during the school year, but NYC when I'm home and I played at AP all the time during the summer. [censored] hell.

Python49 10-20-2005 08:16 AM

Who plays at rosedale?

10-20-2005 09:52 AM

I know the police can confiscate whatever chips/money you have on the table, but what about the money in your pocket?

arod15 10-20-2005 10:30 AM

DAMMMIT Another one bites the dust. This is crap ..... They need to relax....

10-20-2005 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the police can confiscate whatever chips/money you have on the table, but what about the money in your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't touch the money in your pocket. Smart club owners will give a large chunk of the bank to a player they trust to take out during a raid.

And to the OP the dealers were all released the following day on $500 bail and given a court date for mid Nov.

10-20-2005 10:54 AM

i heard that this other club, not AP, "BW" got busted over the weekend as well. any truth to this? jeez, thank god i was in vegas over the weekend, chances are very high i wouldve been there the nite of the bust at either one of these clubs.

sfer 10-20-2005 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i heard that this other club, not AP, "BW" got busted over the weekend as well. any truth to this? jeez, thank god i was in vegas over the weekend, chances are very high i wouldve been there the nite of the bust at either one of these clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. Beef Wellington is still up and running.

10-20-2005 11:22 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

highlife 10-20-2005 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. Beef Wellington is still up and running.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm, I love that stuff. nh.

10-20-2005 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At most, you loose your money/chips and get a summons "loitering for gambling" that gets thrown out at the first court visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard of them taking any of the palyers in on this at any raid since one of the diamond club raids way back. I think they know it will not stand up and playing poker is not a crime. At both the B'way raid and the PS raid the vice captain made a point of announcing that "We are not here for the players. You are doing nothing wrong. It is not a crime to be here or to play cards in NYC it is only a crime to operate this establishment. We are here serving a warrant on the owners and employees here."

But you are right about the questioning. Give your ID, act respectfully,and there is no need to answer any question about another game or club. Then go home.

DrSavage 10-20-2005 12:05 PM

I have a question. You're in a NYC underground club playing. Cops do their thing. They take you outside for questioning and ask "who was dealing at the table?". What do you tell them?

10-20-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question. You're in a NYC underground club playing. Cops do their thing. They take you outside for questioning and ask "who was dealing at the table?". What do you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bother trying to skirt this one. It was weird that they were doing this though as that wasn't the case at PS. But they are taking the people who were sitting in the box regardless, and the others at your table are going to point them out so I wouldn't push it and just tell them. Everyones picture gets shown to the undercover who was surveiling the place and he looks through all the pics for people he has seen working at the club. They are getting the dealers and the dealers are then getting off with little more than a tap on the wrist. As far as some of the other questions they were asking, there is no need to provide info about other establishments or anything that doesn't directly concern you.

As a side just before they came in players watching the tourney table were asked to sit down. One player was about to sit in the box on the empty table and pick up a deck of cards. I told him not to and just sit in a player seat. He can thank me the next time I see him. I'm sure that:

'no no really I just sat down in this chair, I don't deal here I swear'

would have gone over really well. Saved Z a night in jail.

10-20-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't touch the money in your pocket. Smart club owners will give a large chunk of the bank to a player they trust to take out during a raid.

And to the OP the dealers were all released the following day on $500 bail and given a court date for mid Nov.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I assume they can still search you as I read in the bway thread that someone was found with coke and a joint.

giantsrule 10-20-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the players were released after about 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the players were released free and clear with no charges whatsoever right? Not only not arrested but also not given a summons or anything right? And that was also the case at BW, PS and NYPC right? I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, thanks.

J.A.Sucker 10-20-2005 01:21 PM

This just proves how much the East Coast sucks.

10-20-2005 01:29 PM

Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with? Did they have to spend the night in jail? I'm asking because I've been thinking about becoming a dealer but in this climate it's iffy. Still, if anyone knows about the dealer school in NYC, PM me and let me know. I figure the SCHOOL at least is legal, right? - because they are prepping dealers for AC, Foxwoods, legal places...

10-20-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...the players were released after about 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the players were released free and clear with no charges whatsoever right? Not only not arrested but also not given a summons or anything right? And that was also the case at BW, PS and NYPC right? I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players in all cases are released free and clear. ID's are checked for outstanding warrants and if you are not wanted you are released. The only charges filed against players in the B'way raid was one person who when asked "do you have anything on you we xhould know about?" produced a gram of coke from their pocket and was summarily arrested. All other players were released.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with? Did they have to spend the night in jail?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealers were all charged with 'promotion of gambling' and 'possesion of a gambling device'. They were booked on Friday night around 2am or so and were all released by 1 am Saturday night.

In the PS/NYPC case all of the dealers were offered either community service and 6mos. probation or an ACD. ACD is an Aquittal in Contemplation of Dismissal, which means you keep clean for 6 months and the charges are dropped and cleared from your record. Get arrested within 6 months and you can be sentenced on whatever your current arrest is for and the previous charges, not the best choice for those who decided to keep dealing in the city. Most likely the same sentence will be offered in this case.

Triple C 10-20-2005 03:25 PM

In our case, the cops wrote down everyone's information from their IDs even if there wasn't anything outstanding on your record. My friend said that one of the officers told him that it's not a formal charge/citation, but it is for a database where they will know that we were stopped for being in a card room. In any event, there was no real explanation or instruction as to what was being done to the players and they were let go after submitting their info.

I should also mention that they did a search for weapons/drugs on the premesis and asked if anyone had either - they didn't search anyone, but be sure that they would have been bigger hardasses if someone was stupid enough to have something on them.

They did NOT interrogate the players, although they did try to bully us as a group into giving up the dealers who were sitting among the crowd - no one did and they figured it out for themselves anyway. I don't know what they asked the dealers, but again, they DID NOT ASK US ABOUT OTHER CLUBS or try to cut a deal to turn in others who weren't there.

10-20-2005 04:13 PM

Questions for someone there.

Did they ever publically use the term "serving a warrant"?

Were the officers wearing bp-vests and windbreakers with badges on chains around their necks or were they regular uniforms?

Did they take poloroids of the players?

SheridanCat 10-20-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend said that one of the officers told him that it's not a formal charge/citation, but it is for a database where they will know that we were stopped for being in a card room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prepare to receive F.O.P. spam.

Regards,

T

10-20-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing thing I imagine they could be charged with is Promoting Gambling in the 2nd degree which is a misdemeanor.

Anybody who is considering becoming a dealer in a legal establishment anywhere should stay clear of dealing in these clubs. A conviction of a gambling offense will likely disqualify you from gaming license in other jurisdictions.

10-20-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey take you outside for questioning and ask "who was dealing at the table?". What do you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually feel like saying anything at all . . "I don't know" is not likely to hurt anyone.

10-20-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what the dealers were charged with?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing thing I imagine they could be charged with is Promoting Gambling in the 2nd degree which is a misdemeanor.

Anybody who is considering becoming a dealer in a legal establishment anywhere should stay clear of dealing in these clubs. A conviction of a gambling offense will likely disqualify you from gaming license in other jurisdictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to imagine, the actual charges are listed above.

Additionally there are no restrictions in either NJ or LV gaming laws where misdemeanors prevent you from obtaining a license, only felony convictions. Also the reception of an ACD makes it a moot point since the dealers are left with no criminal record after 6 months.

10-20-2005 05:08 PM

Actaully in Nevada Felonies OR GAMBLING CONVICTIONS may prevent you from obtaining a license.

Also in the statute below you will see that conviction of what Nevada call a gross misdemeanor is a disqualification. It appears to me that what Nevada calls a Gross Misdemeanor is what NY calls a Class A Misdemanor (of which PG2nd is a Class A Misdemeanor.)

Furthermore the offense of Promoting Gambling in 2nd degree as it exists in NY would actually constitute a Felony in Nevada and is thus a basis for disqualification

[ QUOTE ]

NRS 463.335

13. The Board may suspend or object to the registration of an applicant as a gaming employee for any cause deemed reasonable by the Board. The Board may object to or suspend the registration if the applicant has:

(a) Failed to disclose or misstated information or otherwise attempted to mislead the Board with respect to any material fact contained in the application for registration as a gaming employee;

(b) Knowingly failed to comply with the provisions of this chapter or chapter 463B, 464 or 465 of NRS or the regulations of the Commission at a place of previous employment;

(c) Committed, attempted or conspired to commit any crime of moral turpitude, embezzlement or larceny or any violation of any law pertaining to gaming, or any crime which is inimical to the declared policy of this state concerning gaming;

(d) Committed, attempted or conspired to commit a crime which is a felony or gross misdemeanor in this state or an offense in another state or jurisdiction which would be a felony or gross misdemeanor if committed in this state and which relates to the applicant’s suitability or qualifications to work as a gaming employee;

(e) Been identified in the published reports of any federal or state legislative or executive body as being a member or associate of organized crime, or as being of notorious and unsavory reputation;

(f ) Been placed and remains in the constructive custody of any federal, state or municipal law enforcement authority; or

(g) Had registration as a gaming employee revoked or committed any act which is a ground for the revocation of registration as a gaming employee or would have been a ground for revoking registration as a gaming employee if the applicant had then been registered as a gaming employee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luv2DriveTT 10-20-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Were the officers wearing bp-vests and windbreakers with badges on chains around their necks or were they regular uniforms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This question is more important to the existing owners than many may think. It helps them know what department/team is executing each raid.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

10-20-2005 05:16 PM

Interesting. I do know a dealer who was in the Mayfair raid and arrested/convicted who holds NJ,LV, and Miss. licences.

10-20-2005 05:20 PM

if he got an ACD it is not a conviction. But if you want to deal somewhere leaglly I would not take the chance.

10-20-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This question is more important to the existing owners than many may think. It helps them know what department/team is executing each raid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The previous nyc raids (PS NYPC BW) have all been carried out with warrants by the vice squad.

This one sounds fishy like the BPC raid.

satelliter 10-20-2005 05:31 PM

ACD refers to Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal, not "Acquittal".

10-20-2005 05:36 PM

At the completetion of the Adjournment time (unless they charges are reinstated because you got into trouble again) the charges are Dismissed. You have not been convicted of the offense.

10-20-2005 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry either way it's 6 months of clean living followed by a dismissed and sealed case.

tubalkain 10-20-2005 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I do know a dealer who was in the Mayfair raid and arrested/convicted who holds NJ,LV, and Miss. licences.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can probably expect to be told to fornicate himself with an iron stick by the gaming commissions next time he needs to renew those licenses.

Luv2DriveTT 10-20-2005 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The previous nyc raids (PS NYPC BW) have all been carried out with warrants by the vice squad.

This one sounds fishy like the BPC raid.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my understanding the PS & NYPC raids were multi-agency, not just the police. Multi-agency raids are usually not the vice squad (I don't recall which team they are, I experienced them when I was in the nightlife business many moons ago). The Broadway raid did however seem to be vice, based on my limited understanding. The team was attractive and young looking, and could easily pass for a bunch of nightclub bouncers. I was not inside the room when it took place, but we happened to be passing by while it occurred. I found that odd since the claim in the press was that they received a complaint about a gun.... why would they need a warrant to investigate a weapons charge? They would usually send in a normal squad in that scenario.

On a related note, I am surprised nobody has received a smoking related violation yet. The smoking rooms that most clubs had are clearly a violation of health code.

TT

10-20-2005 06:33 PM

"why would they need a warrant to investigate a weapons charge?"

Because the 4th amendment does not have an exception for investigating weapons charges.

but I think you misundertood the report anyway. The raid was not an investigation of a gun charge, it was the complaint about a gun that brought the establishment to the Police attention.

TakeMeToTheRiver 10-20-2005 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost sound like an attorney...

Luv2DriveTT 10-20-2005 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple C 10-20-2005 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I never heard them say anything about why they were there or justifying their presence. There was no mention of a warrant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see any BP vests, but there were 3-4 plain clothes officers with badges/chains. The first ones into the club were 3 uniformed officers and in total there were maybe 8 uniformed officers.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, absolutely not.

other1 10-20-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Except he didn't charge him to explain what it meant. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]