Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL top 5 DL's (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360240)

10-18-2005 03:33 PM

NFL top 5 DL\'s

Top 5 defensive linemen in the league...i dont think theres any contest over #1...the rest is debatable.

#1 Julius Peppers
#2 Richard Seymour
#3 Dwight Freeney
#4 Michael Strahan
#5 Simeon Rice

Talk amongst yourselfs...

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-18-2005 03:38 PM

Re: NFL top 5 DL\'s

Kevin Williams

10-18-2005 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Top 5 defensive linemen in the league...i dont think theres any contest over #1...the rest is debatable.

#1 Julius Peppers
#2 Richard Seymour
#3 Dwight Freeney
#4 Michael Strahan
#5 Simeon Rice

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think Strahan is just on their based on principle. Kevin Williams from the Vikings has got to be closed to being up there as well as Stroud from JAX. Oh and I would argue that Freeney should be #1 instead of Peppers. Peppers is more athletic but Freeney just dominates who ever they put on him.

imported_CaseClosed326 10-18-2005 03:43 PM

Well, freeney did get owned last night by orlando pace.

10-18-2005 03:43 PM

The correct answer is of course,

Trevor Pryce

Do not discuss.

10-18-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, freeney did get owned last night by orlando pace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Pace did do a good job on him but none the less I think Freeney shoudl be ranked ahead of Peppers.

10-18-2005 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think Strahan is just on their based on principle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The guy gets no media hype, but he just keeps getting sacks....i believe he has 5.5 sacks already this year.

wh1t3bread 10-18-2005 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kevin Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on guys, you are joking right? Nobody on the Vikings DL should even be considered in the top 10 when they are giving up 160+ yards on the ground this year. Unbelievable. I don't care if this guy had 11 sacks last year.

10-18-2005 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. The guy gets no media hype, but he just keeps getting sacks....i believe he has 5.5 sacks already this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong Strahan was number 1 or 2 for a long time I just think that without a doubt there are 5 better DL then him now.

10-18-2005 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody on the Vikings DL should even be considered in the top 10 when they are giving up 160+ yards on the ground this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were not basing this on what the teams stats are...just the best 5 DL in the league. Not that i think Kevin Williams would be on it either though. But look at Seymour, the Pats D is giving up huge chunks of yardage but the other teams just double Seymour and he still has good stats...

Soul Daddy 10-18-2005 04:04 PM

John Abraham?

imported_anacardo 10-18-2005 04:05 PM

There's more to D-line than sacks. I hesitate to put Freeney or Rice on a list like this because they're such liabilities against runs to their side of the formation. Rice has apparently improved his run technique & desire a lot over the years, but I can remember when he was playing for Arizona an a tight end could drive him one-on-one, no sweat.

(The year was 1998. "The Cactus Curtain." Simeon Rice, Eric Swann, Mark Smith, and Andre Wadsworth. Memories... pressed between the pages of my mind...)

Toro 10-18-2005 04:19 PM

As a Patriots fan, I think Richard Seymour is overrated.

brettbrettr 10-18-2005 04:36 PM

I think you should break out DT's and DE's. Comparing Seymour and Freeney seems tough.

10-18-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Patriots fan myself--I think you should reconsider. How good do you have to be to make a Pro Bowl playing for New England? Pretty darn good. Seeing that Bruschi has only made 1 pro bowl, and that Seymour has made 2, are you going to say next that Bruschi is overrated?

wh1t3bread 10-18-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should break out DT's and DE's. Comparing Seymour and Freeney seems tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement.

brettbrettr 10-18-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Abraham?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

utmt40 10-18-2005 04:41 PM

Wow, no one has mentioned Jared Allen so I will...

JayLear 10-18-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kevin Williams

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

Patrick del Poker Grande 10-18-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kevin Williams

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pat Williams?

Toro 10-18-2005 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Patriots fan myself--I think you should reconsider. How good do you have to be to make a Pro Bowl playing for New England? Pretty darn good. Seeing that Bruschi has only made 1 pro bowl, and that Seymour has made 2, are you going to say next that Bruschi is overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pro bowl is overrated, mostly a popularity contest. No, I actually think Brushci is underrated.

Jack of Arcades 10-18-2005 08:38 PM

Throwing some names out there:

Jason Taylor.
Patrick Kerney.

fingokra 10-18-2005 09:25 PM

This was true early in the game. It was not by the end. He did cause a turnover that lead to a Colts TD.

Pudge714 10-18-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pro bowl is overrated, mostly a popularity contest. No, I actually think Brushci is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Bruschi does not make pro bowls because he is not a pro bowl caliber line backer. Try putting Bruschi on the AFC pro bowl team over, Zach Thomas, Vilma, Ray Lewis, Farrior, Mike Peterson, and Al Wilson. Thats tough company to beat.

As well I find it very difficult to say anyone on the Pats is underrated, as most Pats are very overratted.

kyro 10-18-2005 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As well I find it very difficult to say anyone on the Pats is underrated, as most Pats are very overratted.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid thing to say. You don't hear about the great individual talents of most Patriots. You hear about the team effort. And this is why they have 3 rings and every other team in the past year has 1 combined.

bugstud 10-18-2005 10:28 PM

no way that peppers should be #1 on this list for his play. Talent, sure. Current play, no.

Toro 10-19-2005 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[As well I find it very difficult to say anyone on the Pats is underrated, as most Pats are very overratted.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what the hell was I thinking, they all suck.

DrCool 10-19-2005 12:47 PM

I would definetly have Marcus Stroud from Jacksonville up there. He is currently the best DT in the league and John Henderson isn't too far behind.

SL__72 10-19-2005 12:57 PM

I would definately put him (Kevin Williams) on the list of top-5 D-linemen and I'd put Pat Williams on the list if I were picking top-5 DTs... The Viking's run defense is bad because their Linebackers are inept and their safeties are poor in run defense. Their DEs aren't very good either...

Wes ManTooth 10-19-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong Strahan was number 1 or 2 for a long time I just think that without a doubt there are 5 better DL then him now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not go as far as saying "with out a doubt", Strahan is still a very dominating player even though he was out most of last year due to injury. This year he has 5.5 sacks and 23 tackles in 6 games, he would have even more tackles but many teams focus there rushing game to Strahan's opposite side.

Wes ManTooth 10-19-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kevin Williams

[/ QUOTE ]

Williams was better before the entire beating up his wife/gf domestic assault ordeal.

Pudge714 10-21-2005 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would definately put him (Kevin Williams) on the list of top-5 D-linemen and I'd put Pat Williams on the list if I were picking top-5 DTs... The Viking's run defense is bad because their Linebackers are inept and their safeties are poor in run defense. Their DEs aren't very good either...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put

Pudge714 10-21-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[As well I find it very difficult to say anyone on the Pats is underrated, as most Pats are very overratted.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what the hell was I thinking, they all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

They play well because they very well in the scheme and play good discplined defense. That doesn't mean they are one of the top individual talents at thier position. Lavar Arrington in one of the top 5 talents/players at OLB however he is a ballhawk, and he is not playing very discplined so Washington benched him for a worse player. Just because they play well within the scheme doesn't make them Pro Bowl caliber players.

MonkeeMan 10-21-2005 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

#1 Julius Peppers
#2 Richard Seymour
#3 Dwight Freeney
#4 Michael Strahan
#5 Simeon Rice

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but none of them could carry Reggie White's jock.

Pudge714 10-22-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

#1 Julius Peppers
#2 Richard Seymour
#3 Dwight Freeney
#4 Michael Strahan
#5 Simeon Rice

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but none of them could carry Reggie White's jock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet