Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Don't You [censored] Do It Georgey Boy!! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359672)

mmbt0ne 10-17-2005 07:28 PM

Don\'t You [censored] Do It Georgey Boy!!

If you even THINK about touching Mazzone, I'll firebomb every piece of property you own.

Phoenix1010 10-17-2005 07:34 PM

Re: Don\'t You [censored] Do It Georgey Boy!!

He's as good as ours.

TheRover 10-17-2005 07:35 PM

Absolutely zero chance he goes anywhere.

10-17-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful, but zero chance? You dont think he wants to be a head coach?

Jack of Arcades 10-17-2005 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TheRover 10-17-2005 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful, but zero chance? You dont think he wants to be a head coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They want him for pitching coach anyway, not manager. He'll stay with Atlanta as long as Bobby Cox is there.

I wouldn't be shocked if he and Cox retired together. Unless Cox is closer to quitting then I assume. If so, Terry Pendleton would take over if he's still around and Mazzone would stay.

10-17-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If so, Terry Pendleton would take over if he's still around and Mazzone would stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this (not that I want Cox to retire). And who would be the next hitting coach? My guess, Eddie Perez.

Jack of Arcades 10-17-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If so, Terry Pendleton would take over if he's still around and Mazzone would stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this (not that I want Cox to retire). And who would be the next hitting coach? My guess, Eddie Perez.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess, too. Although Terry Pendleton's being interviewed by both Tampa and the Dodgers.

TheRover 10-17-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good a guess as any. Would they give it to him only a year or two after retirement? I have no idea. For Pendleton to get the job I would think Cox would have to retire in around three years. I assume someone would offer him a manager's job somewhere else pretty soon if he doesn't want to wait.

As a Cubs fan, if they want Gene Clines or Gary Matthews I'll offer to pay for plane tickets.

DoubleDown 10-17-2005 08:11 PM

why hasnt mazzone taken a job as a manager in the mlb yet? he's obviously proven he's among the elite with regards to coaches/managers in the past 10-15 years, yet he's still playing 2nd fiddle to B.Cox down in atl. how could he not have wanted to manage his own team by now? has he not been offered a job? (that would be pretty shocking, considering his track record)

lastchance 10-17-2005 08:13 PM

Leo Mazzone is worth .55 to .85 runs per game.

That's more than any pitcher in the league and 99% of the everyday players.

George should be willing to shell a lot of moolah for him, especially without a pitching coach right now.

TheRover 10-17-2005 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
George should be willing to shell a lot of moolah for him, especially without a pitching coach right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having a pitching coach hasn't made George shell out anything for one for the last few years now.

edit: So when King Leo retires who would replace him? Do the Braves have anyone in house? Greg Maddux? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 10-17-2005 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]yup. ATL fans need to stop trying to convince themselves otherwise.

pokerdirty 10-17-2005 08:53 PM

Yes, COME to los jankees! we will pay you lots of money! You'll DEFINATELY have a better shot at making it deep in the playoffs. And just think, if you fix the Yanks pitching staff, you'll be the best ever. No questions asked. Do you really want to stay in atlanta with the 100 degree 100% humidity days in the summer? Do you really want to sit in the worst traffic in the world every day? Do you want more hot bitches than Jeter? Come, my son. Come.

nothumb 10-17-2005 08:56 PM

As a Sox fan, I have to say this is absolutely the last thing I want to see happen. I'd rather lose Manny in a sign and trade for Kevin Brown.

NT

CCass 10-18-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSC, I asked you in an earlier thread if you would like to make a friendly wager about Mazzone going to the Yankees next year. I didn't see it if you responded then, so I will ask again.

I don't think Mazzone is going anywhere, and I am willing to make a wager to that effect.

ThaSaltCracka 10-18-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

TSC, I asked you in an earlier thread if you would like to make a friendly wager about Mazzone going to the Yankees next year. I didn't see it if you responded then, so I will ask again.

I don't think Mazzone is going anywhere, and I am willing to make a wager to that effect.

[/ QUOTE ]I must have missed it. Want to wager titles?

imported_The Vibesman 10-19-2005 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Want to wager titles?

[/ QUOTE ]\

Do you mean, like, dukedoms?

CCass 10-19-2005 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Our titles on 2p2? That sounds fair.

ThaSaltCracka 10-19-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]deal.

andyfox 10-19-2005 01:17 PM

I heard he's a longtime friend of the Baltimore manager and is interested in working with him.

andyfox 10-19-2005 01:19 PM

"Leo Mazzone is worth .55 to .85 runs per game."

So why, then, would the Braves have given permission to the Yankees and Orioles to talk to him?

How do you come up with .55 to.85 rpg?

samjjones 10-19-2005 01:28 PM

Probably comparing ATL team ERA to the NL league average over a period of years. Mazzone is a great pitching coach. One only need to see guys like Jaret Wright, Denny Neagle, Kevin Millwood's numbers on ATL and elsewhere to see this.

cdxx 10-19-2005 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For a $8M/3-year contract, he would be a pitching coach of the Chinese national team.

mrbaseball 10-19-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kevin Millwood's numbers on ATL and elsewhere to see this

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh? He lead the AL in ERA this year.

But I agree Mazzone is awesome. COaches don't get into the HoF, players and managers do. But I honestly think when his time comes he should be considered.

pryor15 10-19-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I agree Mazzone is awesome. COaches don't get into the HoF, players and managers do. But I honestly think when his time comes he should be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

his opinion of how a move will affect his HOF chances may just be the thing to make his decision for him.

Jack of Arcades 10-19-2005 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So why, then, would the Braves have given permission to the Yankees and Orioles to talk to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

JC Bradbury compared pitchers pre-/post-mazzone and during the mazzone years and found that, on average, he lowered their ERAs by about half a run.

Of course, it's really hard to get a good read on it with other things affecting ERA (park, defense) but nobody else showed any significant result.

[censored] 10-19-2005 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted

ThaSaltCracka 10-19-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted

[/ QUOTE ]perfect.

cdxx 10-19-2005 06:29 PM

dammit-dammit-dammit. mazzone calls off talks and girardi leaves for the marlins. all on the same day

CCass 10-19-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted

[/ QUOTE ]perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, if he goes to Baltimore is our bet a push?

lastchance 10-19-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JC Bradbury compared pitchers pre-/post-mazzone and during the mazzone years and found that, on average, he lowered their ERAs by about half a run.

Of course, it's really hard to get a good read on it with other things affecting ERA (park, defense) but nobody else showed any significant result.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is anywhere near accurate, Leo Mazzone is worth as much as A-Rod, perhaps more. And this guy has been doing it for 10 years.

ThaSaltCracka 10-20-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's as good as ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted

[/ QUOTE ]perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, if he goes to Baltimore is our bet a push?

[/ QUOTE ]um.....I guess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

CCass 10-20-2005 11:51 AM

TSC, my point about the push is that I believe you were betting that he went to NY, and I was betting that he stayed. So neither of us was right.

However, if you have a title in mind for me, feel free to get a mod to change it.

ThaSaltCracka 10-20-2005 12:58 PM

naw, it was a push. I was thinking he was going to NY, and you didn't think he was going anywhere.