Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   out to dinner, is this a dick move? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357557)

Tyler Durden 10-14-2005 12:11 PM

out to dinner, is this a dick move?

On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. We order a bottle of wine and don't get carded. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert (she turned 25 two weeks ago and I'll be 25 in two months).

So the question is, if we take advantage of the policy and let the waiter know that we want 2 free desserts, is it considered a dick move to do so?

What would you do?

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:12 PM

Re: out to dinner, is this a dick move?

I try and not get the waiter fired.

lu_hawk 10-14-2005 12:13 PM

It would be a huge dick move because the waiter would get in trouble with the manager.

Freakin 10-14-2005 12:13 PM

It's their policy, but the waiter is probably the one paying for the desserts. If you do choose to go for the desserts, at a minimum you need to tip the waiter for them. I think it would be best to go for one free dessert.

Freakin

CollinEstes 10-14-2005 12:13 PM

Yeah I would say that is pretty lame.

BreakfastBurrito 10-14-2005 12:13 PM

They specifically put it into the menu so it's perfectly fine, if not expected, to be taken advantage of. Tip the waiter a bit extra and everyone's happy.

Soul Daddy 10-14-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's their policy, but the waiter is probably the one paying for the desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if that's all that happens to the server.

Tyler Durden 10-14-2005 12:17 PM

We took advantage in the form of two free desserts and overtipped as a result.

Please continue the discussion.

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:17 PM

I'm sorry, after reading the responses, maybe I should clarify. This is a HUGE DICK [censored] MOVE. You are classless if you try and take advantage, not to mention the fact that 126 can spare the 10-20 bucks on desert.

CollinEstes 10-14-2005 12:17 PM

Don't know where you live but in Texas the resturants are under so much pressure from TABC that alot of them say they will fire anyone who doesn't card. The fines they get if it is TABC catching them are huge.

wh1t3bread 10-14-2005 12:17 PM

Definitely a dick move. The only thing this accomplishes is you saving 10 bucks and the waiter losing 10 bucks or hearing it from the Manager and probably spitting (or worse) in your free desert.

I just can't believe someone thinks you look 26. You look like you haven't even hit puberty (and no that crustache doesnt count).

Edit: I also can't believe you have a girlfriend. That is all.

Freakin 10-14-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I retract my earlier comments... the waiter will almost surely get in trouble.

Freakin

10-14-2005 12:21 PM

I would bet $ that the waiter got fired. Management puts the free desert thing in there to get customers to NARC on the staff. Perhaps the waiter got what he deserved for not carding 25 year olds (I don't think so). Hope that desert tasted good, it probably cost someone his job. The extra $7 you gave him does not make up for it.

jakethebake 10-14-2005 12:22 PM

Meh. I wouldn't worry about this. The waiter probably just walked back to the dessert tray and got them himself. I doubt he entered it in the computer or that anyone even knew about it.

Wes ManTooth 10-14-2005 12:22 PM

assuming the waiter did a good job that night and was being considerate by not carding, I think this would be a bad move.

Telling on the waiter to there manager to be a cheap ass and get a free dessert, is lame and shows no class

10-14-2005 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely a dick move. The only thing this accomplishes is you saving 10 bucks and the waiter losing 10 bucks or hearing it from the Manager and probably spitting (or worse) in your free desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, there was something in your desert to. Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts. Seeing as he know was was going to get fired or, at a minimum, written up, you got a bonus prize in whatever you ordered.

Soul Daddy 10-14-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard this a few times. I've worked at several restaurants and never prepared my own desserts.

Paluka 10-14-2005 12:26 PM

I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

jakethebake 10-14-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good answer.

daryn 10-14-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like a primo play

10-14-2005 12:28 PM

no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they should take him out and put him in a hole in the desert.

wtf? So he failed to card a 25-year old... not grounds for firing. Jesus.

10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard this a few times. I've worked at several restaurants and never prepared my own desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just depends. At a minimum, the waiter does have to get the desert "from the back." Upset server = extra sauce.

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

daryn 10-14-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

[/ QUOTE ]

you're saying he woudln't answer the question honestly?

Tyler Durden 10-14-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. They put it on the goddamn menu.

Soul Daddy 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. It's most certainly not a gimmick to get people in the door. It's a measure to weed out those that might cost them a lot of money in the future.

TheMainEvent 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if you asked him who pays for the dessert and whether he is likely to get canned I think he is obliged to give you an honest answer. There's no way it doesn't screw him at all.

10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf? So he failed to card a 25-year old... not grounds for firing. Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not carding is a very serious restaurant offense. Obviously not carding a 25 year old is not going to get the restaurant fined, however, restaurant management put that NARC policy in place to cover their butts and will not be happy with a server potentially getting them fined and a liquor license taken away.

People get fired for a lot less.

wh1t3bread 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They put it on the goddamn menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manager put it on the menu, not the Waiter who actually serves it to you. This is where the situation gets tricky.

scdavis0 10-14-2005 12:33 PM

Wow you are just a total square.

10-14-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They put it on the goddamn menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Manager put it on the menu, not the Waiter who actually serves it to you. This is where the situation gets tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! You pulled a Cindy Brady (perhaps I just dated myself). To paraphrase Mike Brady, Nobody likes a tattletale. You snitched, go get your sash and monitor the high school hall for kids running.

asofel 10-14-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, there was something in your desert to. Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts. Seeing as he know was was going to get fired or, at a minimum, written up, you got a bonus prize in whatever you ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. i hope you and this theoretical "girlfriend" enjoyed the extra glaze on your brownie...

Tyler Durden 10-14-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right IndieMatty it wasn't a "nice restaurant" I was just lying about that part. Really it was a major dump.

HopeydaFish 10-14-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my answer would have been. Of course, you're asking this question knowing full that the answer won't be something that is good for the waiter.

I probably would have told the waiter that he needs to be more careful in future, and showed him my ID. However, I'd tell him that I wouldn't be ratting him out but that the next customer might not be so kind.

offTopic 10-14-2005 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right IndieMatty it wasn't a "nice restaurant" I was just lying about that part. Really it was a major dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

What restaurant was this?

scdavis0 10-14-2005 12:40 PM

This thread angers me in a way that shouldn't be possible.

What kind of total lame ass square do you have to be to actually take advantage of this situation?

asofel 10-14-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What restaurant was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

hardee's

Turning Stone Pro 10-14-2005 12:40 PM

Don\'t let the cat out of the waiter\'s house . . .

When you and your friend go over there to apologize for getting him terminated.

TSP