Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   A quick question for college students about encouragment (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356461)

jason_t 10-12-2005 10:29 PM

A quick question for college students about encouragment

Suppose that you are taking a difficult course in your major field of study. The instructor hands back to you your first graded assignment with the following note.

Dear John,

You will need to invest more effort in this class if you want to succeed in it. The level of effort put into this solution set simply is not and will not be acceptable.

Very sincerely,

Jason.

How would it make you feel? Is there something the instructor could write that would encourage you? How about if I put a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] at the end?

jakethebake 10-12-2005 10:30 PM

Re: A quick question for college students about encouragment

[ QUOTE ]
How about if I put a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

InchoateHand 10-12-2005 10:31 PM

I'd be fine, as long as I had also cultivated a faculty member to pick-me-up.

I like the tripartite arrangement---one to kick your ass, one to explain your ass and one to kiss your ass.

However, its also not professor's jobs to be particularly encouraging. Presumedly people in college can try all by themselves.

fluxrad 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

That's pretty harsh on a first graded assignment.

smurfitup 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

if what he said was true, i'd probably just be disappointed in myself, but would want to show him my capabilities.. if he said something to the effect of "you're obviously bright, just lazy, blah, blah" i'd take it as encouragement and try to reach my potential, i guess. a note like that shouldn't discourage you too much, esp. since the school year just started.

Bradyams 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

That sounds like a fair warning that if he doesn't put forth more effort he'll probably fail the course. If he cares he'll take this as encouragement, if not then it's his loss.

partygirluk 10-12-2005 10:32 PM

You should chuck in a 'ysscky'

theben 10-12-2005 10:33 PM

you must have really slacked off. if a teacher is going to write that note, i think it should be a wake up call that your are being a bum. get your stuff together. GPA isnt much, but you should have a 3/4.0, preferably a 3.5/4.0 to be taken seriously

CardSharpCook 10-12-2005 10:34 PM

25, out of school.

Well, I'd have to imagine that the note would be "true", so I'd get very red and avoid eye contact for a few days while also studying a bit more and trying to do much better next time. Jason, are you a teacher? Age/subject? Also, I expect to hear how this ended.

PoBoy321 10-12-2005 10:34 PM

I had the same situation come up about a week ago. I went, talked to my prof and we discussed what the problem was and how I needed to improve. It really wasn't a big deal, but I'm definitely taking the course more seriously now.

EDIT: I'm dense and didn't realize that this was a note you were writing to the student. Make sure that the student comes and talks to you because you don't want him to go in the opposite direction and become less involved in the course.

CardSharpCook 10-12-2005 10:36 PM

Also, mention possible "extra credit" that she might do.

fluxrad 10-12-2005 10:36 PM

FYI - Jason is the teacher. He's asking if it's OK to give a student this note (see the XOXO - Jason, at the end of his letter).

I still wouldn't write it like that. It's phrased a bit harsh.

partygirluk 10-12-2005 10:36 PM

Do you think being harsh will encourage him? You don't want to come across too saccharine - let him know that you mean business.

RunDownHouse 10-12-2005 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
simply is not and will not be acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
This just sounds harsh to me. "This level of effort will not get you a C" is ok. "This level of effort will not get the job done" is ok. Its hard to describe, but your wording sounds more like a parental lecture than a professor informing his student what his work is worth.

Voltron87 10-12-2005 10:38 PM

put something about how the student could be suceeding, if you just say "youre a lazy piece of [censored], you call that effort?" it wont go over well and is discouraging. it needs to be ecouraging and with an upside, but at the same time unsatisfied with the work. not just "you suck".

jason_t 10-12-2005 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be fine, as long as I had also cultivated a faculty member to pick-me-up.

I like the tripartite arrangement---one to kick your ass, one to explain your ass and one to kiss your ass.

However, its also not professor's jobs to be particularly encouraging. Presumedly people in college can try all by themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

So perhaps I'm being to idealistic and caring about their performance too much? I'm pretty passionate about teaching so it's hard not to have concern for my students.

InchoateHand 10-12-2005 10:42 PM

I think caring about their performance is awesome---but its your call, not your responsibility.

I like the wording of your note, sans the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], because the last thing college kids in America need is more coddling. I hate to sound like a conservative jackass spouting off about individual responsibility, but in the academic realm its sorely lacking.

I think a short, curt note explaining that the current level is unacceptable is a step beyond what many will do, but a very fair gesture.

Claunchy 10-12-2005 10:45 PM

We're talking about an upper level course in the students major, so I don't think Jason's being too harsh. You would think in ~3 years of college the student would have a decent idea of the kind of work he needs to produce. If this were an intro class, I would think he should be a bit gentler.

RunDownHouse 10-12-2005 10:45 PM

Jason, don't forget about me!

RacersEdge 10-12-2005 10:46 PM

Make it more like "the effort you put into this solution set is well below your capabilities and my expectations.."

Voltron87 10-12-2005 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think caring about their performance is awesome---but its your call, not your responsibility.

I like the wording of your note, sans the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], because the last thing college kids in America need is more coddling. I hate to sound like a conservative jackass spouting off about individual responsibility, but in the academic realm its sorely lacking.

I think a short, curt note explaining that the current level is unacceptable is a step beyond what many will do, but a very fair gesture.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know what you mean, but that attitude only work when the student respects the teacher and the like. the student has to care what the teacher thinks and genuinely want to achieve, you cant just bully kids into it.

that said the grade inflation in this countrys schools is off the charts (im sure you know this), an A is fairly meaningless at most schools. even more meaningless in many grad schools.

TheWorstPlayer 10-12-2005 10:51 PM

Just add a line about this level of effort not bringing out the potential that you can see or whatever. Make it clear that you are confident that he can do well but he has to apply himself.

MercTec 10-12-2005 10:52 PM

This depends on the student more than anything else.

If I got a note when I was in school, it would certainly make me sit up and take notice, and I'd bust my ass.

At the same time I had friends in my major who just didnt give a damn about anything, major included, and would blow it off and just call you a dick to his buddies.

thirddan 10-12-2005 10:52 PM

if its possible (depending on class size, etc...) you should have this conversation with him in person...that will get across both the seriousness of the problem, but also make you seem like you actually care about this student (which you probably do)...plus, if he gets the note on his paper he may be quicker to disregard it than if you had approached him personally...

10-12-2005 10:55 PM

Im a senior in school and I would simply take this note in stride and just realize that this is not the class to do the work in 30 min as quick as possible so I can make specials at the bar. I dont think there is a problem with it at all.

mslif 10-12-2005 11:02 PM

I would have been mad at you because it almost sounds like you are being a smartass by saying "very sincerely,...". If you are going to be critical about my work, I do not need for you to write that.

I do not see anything wrong with your note except for that. Students should be able to accept negative critism without sugar coating.

hobbsmann 10-12-2005 11:04 PM

I'm teaching my first course this semester and figuring out the best ways to deal with problems such as the one presented above are very difficult. It is very dependent IMO, on the student and how they are going to respond to a blunt and candid statment about the work ethic needed. Probably as a general rule it is best to lay out something like this early on to both create a student/teacher separation as well as giving them motivation to work harder.

I'd say an alterative would be to schedule a meeting in which you tell them in person that more work is going to be required for them to pass this course.

DMBFan23 10-12-2005 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose that you are taking a difficult course in your major field of study. The instructor hands back to you your first graded assignment with the following note.

Dear John,

You will need to invest more effort in this class if you want to succeed in it. The level of effort put into this solution set simply is not and will not be acceptable.

Very sincerely,

Jason.

How would it make you feel? Is there something the instructor could write that would encourage you? How about if I put a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup Jason,

I was always the type that a bad grade would make me feel shittier than anything else the TA/Prof could possibly write on top. However, I think I would rather hear that type of criticism in person, it just hits home more that way.

EDIT: I like RacersEdge and TheWorstPlayer's thoughts as well.

ethan 10-12-2005 11:37 PM

If this was on my homework, it'd probably be because it was accurate. I'd also probably be aware that I half-assed the assignment before I got it back, and would be expecting at least the bad grade if not the comments. I'd work harder on the next assignment, but that'd also be true for a bad grade and a "see me if you need help, you can do better."

I didn't do all that much teaching while I was in grad school, but I did a fair amount of grading/tutoring during undergrad. (The tutoring was basically TA office-hours, usually 4-5 students at a time, sometimes up to 10 or so.) This being the first assignment, I might opt for just giving them a bad grade and a note saying they should come see you if they're having trouble with the material. If it happens again, then I think you can start in with "this is unacceptable." I think this approach is less likely to end up with them resenting you.

Some people can handle criticism, and some people _really_ can't. I've tutored people who would break down crying when a problem gave them trouble.

mmbt0ne 10-12-2005 11:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true.

The European/Russian professors I've had have all been much more like this, and it helped me so much more. It's not that they don't care about you succeeding, it's just that they aren't going to do you any favors if you aren't busting your ass. One of these guys was willing to meet with me twice a week outside class for however long it took for me to understand what we were doing because he knew that I really was trying. The kid in the back of the class who did nothing and had basically the same grade as me failed, I got a B.

The grades are always a lot lower in the classes these guys teach, but the learning experience is much better. I wish we could see this type of teaching philosophy spread across all the professors here, and someday seep down to HS and lower.

yellowjack 10-12-2005 11:49 PM

Offer for the student to see you during your office hours if they want to discuss this with you.

The Truth 10-12-2005 11:59 PM

Write a note, but the wording needs to be different. Personalize it a bit more and make it seem more endeared. It comes off harsh and cold as opposed to warm....

You get the jist.

nothumb 10-13-2005 12:26 AM

Jason -

This note is certainly not bad, but it does make some assumptions about the student's capabilities and motivation. What if they just had a ton of problems with the work? You're telling them you think they're a slacker, and therefore they may be too embarassed to ask you for help. Not the result you want. I wouldn't go with this line unless I was very sure that this was a smart and motivated student who was just used to sliding by.

I also agree that you should speak to this kid in person. Try not to ACCUSE him of anything, just tell him it's not good enough.

NT

tonypaladino 10-13-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dear John,

Very sincerely,

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much prefer a note like this than a poor grade with no explaination.

theben 10-13-2005 12:34 AM

Oh, i see.

fluxrad, thank you for pointing this out in a polite way. almost all posters here (probably myself included) would have taken this as a chance to call me retarded or something along those lines.

Jason, if he truly did that poorly why dont you write a note to him and request a meeting so you can tell him hes F-ing up in person.

SCfuji 10-13-2005 12:37 AM

hey jason

i think the hand-holding stops at high school bro. but i think this teacher most likely has an interest in your education and wants to fire you up.

fuji

xorbie 10-13-2005 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dear John,

Very sincerely,

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would drop the class, to be honest.

CardSharpCook 10-13-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey jason

i think the hand-holding stops at high school bro. but i think this teacher most likely has an interest in your education and wants to fire you up.

fuji

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he is the teacher.

CardSharpCook 10-13-2005 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dear John,

Very sincerely,

Jason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would drop the class, to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything difficult isn't worth doing.

istewart 10-13-2005 01:14 AM

This will make him seriously consider killing himself.