Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356090)

Lloyd 10-12-2005 12:23 PM

Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

This is part two on our second "Play a Hand with the Maters". If you haven't already read and contributed to part one you should do so first.

Setup
$100+9 Party Poker MTT
Blinds 50/100
Hero is Gigabet
No strong read on villain

Stacks
Hero: t2670
Villain: t2915

Pre-Flop
Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds. Hero raises to t275. All fold to BB who calls.

Flop
Pot: t600

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. Action is on the hero.

What range of hands do you put the villain on? Do you check or bet? If you bet, how much and why that amount? What do you do if he raises you? Based on whether you check or bet (and presuming if you bet he calls), what's your plan for the rest of the hand and why?

Roman 10-12-2005 12:30 PM

Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

AQ-AT
KQ-KT
QJ (QT maybe)
22-TT

Bet 300-450 and try to get it in here.

edit: mistyped bet size

rockythecat99 10-12-2005 12:36 PM

I think villains range here is AK-ATs, KQs, maybe suited connectors down to 65s and of course 22-TT maybe JJ. I am ahead of all of these hands except JJ and tie with AK.

I bet here 350-400 as a continuation bet. If he raises me I am pushing. As given his range I bet most of his hands. If he has QT or JJ then well thats poker.

If he just flat calls me and checks the turn I am pushing unless and ugly ten hits. The I probably check behind and hopefully showdown. I'm afraid of a ten as it is more likely given the range I put him on that he has a q than a T to complete his straight.

10-12-2005 12:37 PM

Villain called on the BB getting great odds for less than 1/10 of his stack, so I expect his range to be something like 22-TT, A8s-AQs, AJo, AQo, KJ+, 78s+ or so.

I think checking is too expensive here, as a good percentage of these hands have two-outers or better against us.

I think a bet of 300-450 is good. No hand that's behind us gets odds to see the turn from a bet like that. Since we're Gigabet here, and we've got a very aggro reputation, I think I'd go with exactly 450, to make an A consider calling.

I'm horrible about getting check-raised on a flop like this with 2-pair, so I won't discuss my response, but I'm very interested in others' opinions.

Black Aces 518 10-12-2005 12:38 PM

I may wait a decent amount of time and then check behind to induce a blufl on the turn. I only hate a Q or T coming off and I'm willing to risk that to double up here. If he has JJ, KK, or AA (or QT), then lucky him, he's getting paid.

jedinite 10-12-2005 12:39 PM

Assuming I've been making standard continuation bets, I'm going to continuation bet this flop with my big hand, and would be happy for the money to go in the middle here if i'm re-raised. T300 - T450 (half to 2/3rds pot) depending on my usual approach.

I think the standard continuation bet here shows more potential weakness than a check - we're an aggressive player, we've taken the lead preflop and there's almost no way this hand didn't hit one or both of us. If our opponent is on an underpair the flop has already killed any potential action unless we let him catch a set. If he's on QT he's outflopped us and I'm probably going to go broke here (unless we had a read on the player as exceptionally tight, which we don't).

I think the standard continuation bet opens the door enough for a our opponent to make a move against us. if we're re-raised I'm content for the money to go in the middle with top two at this point, if we're behind I suggest spiking an ace on the river.

I can't imagine the turn bringing anything that's going to help our action (but not put us way behind) based on our opponent's typical hand range, so I can't see giving a free card here to represent weakness. I think continuing our typical agressive play has a better chance of inducing a bluff if we are up against Ax - in fact the weaker continuation bet (bordering on a probe bet) seems like the best way to do so.

Roman 10-12-2005 12:40 PM

[qoute]

I think checking is too expensive here, as a good percentage of these hands have two-outers or better against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think checking because he has a chance of hitting a 2-6 outer is too expensive? I definitely disagree there, I bet anyway cause the flop looks like it could have hit him and hopefully he will interpret the bet as a cont bet/steal and just get it in on the flop when a Q or T on the turn can kill your action.

rockythecat99 10-12-2005 12:44 PM

One thing I meant to ask on my first post is what is read on villain. Given this board will he bluff at it with 99 if we check behind on the flop? If the answer is yes then I might be inclined to check behind.

10-12-2005 12:44 PM

This is an interesting one. You have top two pair on a rainbow flop. There seem to me to be few hands you are behing. AA, KK, JJ and QT. All of these hands are possible, some people would reraise AA or KK but the hand is already headsup at this point so he may be trying to trap you. JJ is an obvious caller preflop and QT probably is from the BB as well. Against all these hands you are a massive underdog, drawing dead or to 4 outs.
The far more likely scenario though is that you are way ahead and should be looking to extract as much money from him as possible. He may have a gutshot draw if he has a Q or a T but I personally don't think this draw is worth worrying about too much. Perhaps I am a little reckless here but I'm not too worried about letting someone draw to a gutshot here since if it hits it's pretty easy to see.

given all this I think the best thing to do is check in behind him and hope to induce a bluff on the turn. If he makes a pot sized bet on the turn I push provided turn isn't a J, T, or Q in which case I'd call.
If the turn blanks and he checks, I'd make about a $400 -$500 bet hoping for him to checkraise me.

10-12-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you think checking because he has a chance of hitting a 2-6 outer is too expensive? I definitely disagree there, I bet anyway cause the flop looks like it could have hit him and hopefully he will interpret the bet as a cont bet/steal and just get it in on the flop when a Q or T on the turn can kill your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain clearly has outs; I don't give him odds. The pot is a good % of my stack now, and I'd like to take it right now or to stack villain without having to see a scarecard first.

betgo 10-12-2005 12:50 PM

I think you have to make a continuation bet. First of all, you raised preflop and villain called from the BB. What did you raise with the missed this flop? Even if you had a an underpair or were semibluffing with a speculative hand, you would bet this flop. Since villain is in the BB, if you missed this flop, there is reason to believe villain may have also missed it. A check is suspicious.

Furthermore, another high card could easily make villain a straight. Right now QT, JJ, KK, an AA are the only hands you are behind, and villain would proabably have reraised with all but QT.

If villain raises I might push or might flat call hoping villain will fire on the turn. If the raise is for a good portion of the stacks, I would push, as I am somewhat worried about straights. If villain has me beat, he is going to bust me.

10-12-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What range of hands do you put the villain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

AA and KK, while in the range are not probable due to the board and Hero's hand. Could also include QQ-TT, AKs to ATs, AK,AQ with AK less likely or KQs to JTs.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you check or bet? If you bet, how much and why that amount?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet 400, I have a strong hand and want to make some money off of it, but I don't want to give any free cards to a possible straight. (I'm guessing that 4th street tomorrow is going to show a T or Q), giving him 2.5 to 1 odds to call, not great if he's on a inside straight draw.

[ QUOTE ]

What do you do if he raises you? Based on whether you check or bet (and presuming if you bet he calls), what's your plan for the rest of the hand and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down. Check raising an UTG raiser shows balls or a strong hand. If he calls, I'm also going to worry he has a set or a straight and check it down from there unless I hit a full house on 4th street or the river.

gergery 10-12-2005 12:55 PM

Since villain was getting 2:1, he could have a wide range. JJ-22, suited connectors, unsuited connectors, suited aces, medium aces are all possible depending on opponent.

My action depends on the opponent. If he is loose or over-agro, then I might check and trap. If he’s pretty solid and tight, I’ll just bet out.

Default play is to bet 425 here. If I’m reraised, then I’m not so happy, since I only see most making that play with QT, JJ if ahead, or AJ, KJ if behind, maybe also AK for tie. But top 2 with pot odds and some chances to improve means we’re probably going to get it all in.

adanthar 10-12-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain clearly has outs; I don't give him odds. The pot is a good % of my stack now, and I'd like to take it right now or to stack villain without having to see a scarecard first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. I'm ahead now, most aces held by an idiot call this anyway, all two pair hands get it in, at least 11 cards either kill the action or my hand...I'm playing this very strong all the way down until something convinces me not to.

edit: What villain has is not particularly important. On this flop, either he's going to give action or he's not.

gergery 10-12-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can’t he have AJ or KJ to make the raise? Why not another AK that doesn’t want to play a big pot out of position in the early stages?

Those hands are dealt at least as often as QT/JJ, and you have money in the middle already.

Koss 10-12-2005 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, another high card could easily make villain a straight. Right now QT, JJ, KK, an AA are the only hands you are behind, and villain would proabably have reraised with all but QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ may just call hoping for a safe looking flop before moving. I've seen people just calling headsup with AA/KK hoping to trap. If that was his plan here, he got lucky and hit one of the few flops he can really sucker us in with.

I'm betting this flop. Whatever bet looks like I want some action. If he's behind, I want to keep him in the hand. I think a smaller probeish bet will work here. 250-300. Something that makes him think about calling, but a bet that he may call with a weaker holding in this case like KQ. If I get check-raised, I'm pushing. No questions asked. I'm ready to go broke here. If I have the best hand and just call a check raise, and then he pushes a Q or T on the river I don't know if I could make the call. I think I have the best hand here enough to make a push of a check-raise the right play. I don't want a card to hit on the turn that will let him bluff me off top 2. And if he did catch a set of jacks or a straight, I can always suck out.

Sam T. 10-12-2005 01:06 PM

Villain had to pay 175 into a pot worth 425, and knows that he's OOP for the rest of the hand, so I'd go with: JJ-22, AK-AQs. I'd add some weaker aces and maybe KQ if he's a donk, or is thinking "I could bust gigabet!" If he's on QT, well Merry Christmas.

I like this flop (duh), and don't anticipate getting out of the hand without all of my chips in the middle. With the check, I'm going to take JJ out of the mix, as it is unlikely he's going to risk giving a free card at this point.

I'll usually bet t350 because I'm an ABC player, and I don't much like giving a free cards. 350 gives him incorrect odds to call if he is drawing to the straight and I don't mind taking down the pot.

The argument for checking can, however, be made. You are either way ahead, with villain drawing to 2-4 outs (AQ, AJ, QQ, TT) or way behind (AA, KK, JJ or QT, none of which seem particularly likely). Let him think you're on 99 or QQ, and you've decided to shut it down. Seems like a good situation to see if he'll bluff at the pot. The more I think about it, the more I like checking to induce the bluff.

If I bet, and he raises me...Pooosh. No way I'm getting away from top two pair with ~1000 in the pot. Alternately I could see calling, and get it in on the turn, 'cause you know he's going to bet.

If I bet and he calls...well I guess I'll wait to see what the turn brings. If it's a ten, well, hell. I might have to shut it down. If it's a queen, I worry, but probably go broke/double up. Anything else, all-in.

Edit: After reading the other replies I'm convinced that betting is the right move. If he raises...all-in.

10-12-2005 01:07 PM

As the BB, Villain got to see the flop pretty cheaply, so I would not be surprised to see AT+, A8s+, KJ+, 22+, even QT, QJ, and some lower suited connectors are possibilities. Especially if I've got an aggressive reputation, I'm inclined to rule out TT+ and AK, maybe even AQ, as I'd expect a re-raise from those hands.

Unfortunately, this flop is pretty scary for that range, so it might be difficult to get paid off here (I don't think I'm likely to be behind, so I'm looking to get as many chips in as I can). I think my best bet is to represent a medium pocket pair making a continuation bet and hope Villain got a piece of the flop. I'd probably bet 200-250; it's a very callable bet, doesn't give proper odds to a gut shot, and could represent an attempt to take down the pot cheaply on a missed board that Villain knows I know is likely to be scary for him.

If Villain raises, I call, putting him on a worse two pair as his most likely holding. A call could mean a lot of things, such as a pair and a gut shot, and he may be inclined to lead out the turn to 'protect' his hand. Plus, if he's got two pair or a set, there are miracle turn cards that could make him a low boat. Finally, in the unlikely event that Villain is ahead, I avoid putting any more chips in the pot without forcing him to give me more information.

If he check-raises and my hand doesn't improve, I'm calling down but probably not doing any more betting, absent a scary card or out-of-line play from Villain. If he check-calls, I'll make a larger bet on a blank turn, trying to look like I am buying it. If I make a boat, my bet will be smaller. If a Q or T comes, I'll check behind and call if he bets out the river- he may have a straight, but I may also induce a bluff this way.

Rduke55 10-12-2005 01:10 PM

I put him on any pair, medium/high ace, or two broadway. The overwhelming majority of which we are substantially ahead of and this flop could easily have hit him.
I like a nice sized bet here precisely because he may think his AJ, KJ etc. has us crushed.
I bet 450. Maybe 500.

TomHimself 10-12-2005 01:11 PM

I dont understand why everyone thinks Giga is playing under a recognizable name, he could be playing as "KimHung" for allwe kno. so i think that dismisses the idea that a player would want to bust gigabet.

I bet here, around 400 and like adanthar said ur either gonna get action or not i dont think a range is that important right now

woodguy 10-12-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since villain was getting 2:1, he could have a wide range. JJ-22, suited connectors, unsuited connectors, suited aces, medium aces are all possible depending on opponent.

My action depends on the opponent. If he is loose or over-agro, then I might check and trap. If he’s pretty solid and tight, I’ll just bet out.

Default play is to bet 425 here. If I’m reraised, then I’m not so happy, since I only see most making that play with QT, JJ if ahead, or AJ, KJ if behind, maybe also AK for tie. But top 2 with pot odds and some chances to improve means we’re probably going to get it all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with OmahaGreg

Regards,
Woodguy

Paul Thomson 10-12-2005 01:14 PM

Personally, I'm putting him on a middle pocket pair or AK. Since the stacks are deep, I think the villian would throw away weaker Aces and re-raise with AA-QQ maybe even JJ. But a call makes sense with a pocket pair because they're easy to play out of position and since both players have deep stacks, then it's worth the risk. If the villlan is loose, then maybe he'll call with a low suited connectors, but I doubt it if he knew the hero was Gigabet. Why would he want to play with fire?

I bet $300 into the pot because I don't mind if I get played with a little bit. I want it to look like a weak continuation bet and pray that the villian has AQ or AJ. The hand I'm afraid of that the villian could definilty have is JJ or AK. If the villian comes over the top and raises me 900, then I'll probably call. And call any bet on the turn. Or bet any turn card. I can't get away from this hand online. There are just too few spots to double up and this is one of them. The blinds increase quickly and even though the stacks are deep now, we're going to need the chips soon enough.

10-12-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why can’t he have AJ or KJ to make the raise? Why not another AK that doesn’t want to play a big pot out of position in the early stages?

Those hands are dealt at least as often as QT/JJ, and you have money in the middle already.

[/ QUOTE ]

With an UTG raise of 3x, he should assume that he could behind with AJ or KJ with at least a 30% to 50% probability (I haven't tallied the hands, so this is approx don't beat me up on this). I guess since the there is no prior info on the player that he could be loose enough to make this bet and it is a possibility (I never said he can't have these hands). I don't think I would risk my tourney on it until I got a better handle on how he's playing.

Firefly 10-12-2005 01:16 PM

BB has something like low sooted connectors, AT+, KJ+ maybe QT+, 22-JJ.
I bet 400 here. I like my hand and i hope my opponent does too.

K-mac 10-12-2005 01:25 PM

Note: Grunching

I would say that the BB could be calling with AK, AQ, AJ, KQ and maybe down to QJ. Also any pair from 10's down to 7's (maybe lower I am not too sure)
As far as a bet, i would bet t350 or so (i think that is a continuation bet, right?) If i get reraise i think i am pushing. I wouldnt mind a push because i am not sure that i can put AA or KK into the villians range as i suspect he would have reraised me. JJ may be a possibility, but again i think he may reraise with that as well.
At this point, i wouldnt mind getting all of my chips in if the turn doesnt pair the board or put a 10 or Q.

One thing that i am scared of is him calling the raise with Q 10 and flopping the straight.

How off am i here?

EverettKings 10-12-2005 01:31 PM

I absolutely HATE checking this. You raise to 300 from EP and check behind an AKJ flop? Duh, major red flags.

Obviously you have to bet, I vote for 425. He knows you usually hit this flop, but it's too drawlicious to give a free card. If you check he knows exactly where he stands and will only give action if you don't want it. Other top pair and two pair hands arent going away when you make your cont. bet, but if you check they will be flipping terrified.

It might be more interesting to check behind this flop if you raised with some garbage like 75 or J9. Hell, even then I don't really like checking.

So yeah, bet this.

---Everett

Edit: I forgot to answer the other questions.

His range, with such good pot odds, is all pairs and maybe some decent looking connectorish cards (T7s, 98o, etc) and AQ/AJ ish hands. Pretty wide.

If he reraises me on the flop I jam. Simple as that.

If he calls and the turn bricks I either check behind to extract another bet (maybe even a push) out of him on the river (and accept my fate when the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls), or smooth call in the unlikely event that he leads. If a bad card (spade, T, Q, etc) turns I probably check behind and plan to call most river bets by him, since betting and getting raised in that spot would suck (and he is highly unlikely to give further action with a worse hand). And at that point another free card isn't as disastrous. I'm then betting/raising/pushing/whatever the river unless the board is horrendous.

schwza 10-12-2005 01:36 PM

here's my line:

i bet the flop for 400. if he raises, i call and jam the turn. if he calls the flop, i'm going to keep betting every street cause villain likely has some outs, and even if he doesn't a Q/T might kill my action.

10-12-2005 01:41 PM

A couple of things:

1) The pot size is wrong. If you raise 275, everyone folds including the 50chip sb and the bb calls, you have a 275+50+275=600 chip pot, not 650.

2) In ref to: [ QUOTE ]
The argument for checking can, however, be made. You are either way ahead, with villain drawing to 2-4 outs (AQ, AJ, QQ, TT)

[/ QUOTE ]
QQ and TT each have 6 outs, but you have redraws to beat each.

That said, I'd bet this flop almost always as the preflop raiser no matter what, if I had 27o-AA, unless I had been getting away with lots of continuation bets and think this person wants to check-raise me, then I might check-through and do a delayed continuation bet if I had missed this flop.

If I don't bet the flop when I hit a monster, I can't be believed when I bet the flop when I don't have anything.

My first instinct is: I'm betting this a little weak, because I'm not too concerned with being outdrawn or way behind here and I'd like to induce a move...Into a 600 chip pot, I'd bet 350 or so. That would leave me with 2670-275-350=2045 chips, Opponent with 2290 if he calls, and a 1300 chip pot if he calls. Even though I'm not going to get off this hand, it looks like I still could, and if he tries to push me off with a lesser hand, I welcome it. Unfortunately, this might not move a stubborn pair of QQ/TT or a QJ/JT off the pot, each of which have 6 outs (but we have redraws against). Unfortunately, if he does have a 6 outer and I am committed to this no matter what comes on the turn/river, the size of our stacks does make this a good call on his part, so I'm thinking I might bet more like 400 or 450 now.

Depending on the bb, I'd put him on a wider range: People who think he can't have KQ/QJ/JT/T9 here are crazy. Heads up, even out of position, with really great pot odds, you can't just toss all of those every time someone raises from early position. I'd be MORE inclined to play a hand like T9s than I would a trap hand like KQ/KJ, because I don't go busted if I flop top pair with T9 very often, whereas top pair w/KQ/KJ, you are in rough shape if you get action. That said, depending on the bb, I'd put him on a range of any real hand (some people feel the need to trap with AA/KK here, some people feel the need to see the flop before committing with QQ/JJ). I think those big pair hands are less likely than AQ/AJ/88 type hands because of the possibility of a reraise. My range now is any real hand - unlikely but possible are AA-QQ, slightly more likely JJ, even more likely 22-TT; Also any 2 broadway including QT, and suited connectors from JT-76, possibly JTo/J9o/T9o.

Dennis

AtticusFinch 10-12-2005 01:46 PM

Villain called a raise with odds from the BB, for a small fraction of his stack. His range is very wide.

On this flop, a check-raise looks like a bad idea. With all those paints out there, he's either getting his money in or he isn't, and I don't want to give him free cards to hit his gutshot.

I bet 2/3 of the pot. If he raises, I call and shove any turn. If he calls, I lead for 2/3 again on any turn except a Q or T. I'm honestly not sure how to handle one of those on the turn, although the way this hand is looking, it probably will be. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

albedoa 10-12-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The pot size is wrong. If you raise 275, everyone folds including the 50chip sb and the bb calls, you have a 275+50+275=600 chip pot, not 650.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch.

jccookjr 10-12-2005 02:02 PM

My guess for villain is JJ or 10/10 and he's going to put Gig all in after his continuation bet. I don't think he would have re-raised with either of these two hands and he called hoping to hit his set.

Cactus Jack 10-12-2005 02:05 PM

Gee, I would be so much better off if I'd limped this hand instead of raising it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] He has to be putting me on at least a strong A or better up to AK. If he's coming along, he either is a donk or may have me beat. Sure wish I was playing my nicely disquised hand, but oh well.

I've got top 2 pair, I'm going to the felt with this one. I put in a half-pot bet. If he thinks this is weak, so what, I'm coming back at him. If he calls, getting his proper odds, here's the money. If he misses the turn, I'm throwing another bet at him. I want him all in, although that might end up being the bad news.

I just busted out on a stone-cold deck in an MTT. I've seen a lot of times when I never see a chance this good to get a big pot. I'm not worried about what he has--I'm either ahead or behind--I'm only worried about getting as many of his chips as I can get.

CJ

AtticusFinch 10-12-2005 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess for villain is JJ or 10/10 and he's going to put Gig all in after his continuation bet. I don't think he would have re-raised with either of these two hands and he called hoping to hit his set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I think my Q-falling on the turn scenario is also a strong possibility. Maybe he has JJ and just calls on the flop, then a q falls. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

betgo 10-12-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he raises my bet, I have to figure he flopped a set or a straight and as much as it hurts, I've got to lay down. Check raising an UTG raiser shows balls or a strong hand. If he calls, I'm also going to worry he has a set or a straight and check it down from there unless I hit a full house on 4th street or the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak/tight alert.

fnurt 10-12-2005 02:07 PM

I am typically betting 250-300 here, to encourage action. A half-pot bet doesn't look nearly as suspicious as checking. If he has the typical hand with 2-4 outs, his chances are small enough that I don't feel compelled to charge him the max.

The thought of laying this hand down is silly. I didn't encourage action just so I could end up folding to it.

In a typical Party tournament, I don't even bother putting my opponent on a hand at this stage. I have seen more than one person defend their BB with 72o, flop a 2, and play it like the nuts, so I'm not going to fall into the trap of assuming he plays reasonably.

I respect the people who analyze the situation by saying "he needs a decent hand to call an UTG raise" or "he knows he's going to be out of position for the rest of the hand" but I think these kind of thoughts make the mistake of assuming the other guy plays like you. Against an unknown on Party, I think it's a mistake to assume they know or care that the raise is coming from EP.

kuro 10-12-2005 02:15 PM

It's hard to put BB on a range without some information about how he's played and how you've been playing. Ranges that people defend with are all over the place. So something like AQ,AK,AA-77, and then depending on how loose he is AJs,ATs,KQs,66-22 and premium suited connectors/1 gappers, and broadway hands depending on how loose he is.

I would bet 425 on the flop, because I want to charge villain to draw to a set,boat, or straight and to protect myself from folding the better hand if the turn is a scare card and villain bets it. I think the board is too scarry given the range of hands villain puts us on to expect for him to bluff the turn/river on a blank with any frequency if we check. By betting we likely fold out hands that aren't planning on putting more money into the pot unless they improve to a better hand than ours.

If villain check-raises the flop, I think you've got to lay it. If he calls your bet then you have to play poker on later streets.

KneeCo 10-12-2005 02:17 PM

Note: Being as this is the hand choosen for this cool series, one is tempted to make each move anticipating future streets and such. I have tried to avoid that, and the move I describe below is the one I would generally make if this situation actually came up in play (and I thought there was a chance we wouldn't get to the turn).

Yesterday I said raise to 300, hope to play a HU pot with one of the blinds for position and flop TPTK.

Well we have something similar here.

The BB could have any number of hands here, despite bad position, a lot of players will call here rather than give up their blind partially because they are thinking that if they get a good flop an EP raiser would have trouble letting go of what is probably a premium hand (I'm not saying this approach is wrong or right, it's just a consideration to be taken into account in narrowing the villain's range).

Accordingly, it is difficult to pin down the BB's range. He can be holding any pocket pair fives or up (maybe even 22s and up), KQ-KJ, AT+ and perhaps some suited connectors. In other words, I haven't the slightest what he has.

In times like that, I try to see if I can figure out what he doesn't have. Particularly, I wonder if there's a fair chance I'm behind (to a set or the straight). JJ is probably the only hand he can have that I'm behind right now, but there are a lot of hands I think he might have played that can draw out on me AJ, AQ, AT, KQ, QQ, TT, JTs. So, assuming I'm ahead, he probably has 6 outs or less. If I'm behind, I probably have 4. But I think I'm ahead.

Nevertheless, even though I think I have the lead, I think a check here is too risky. If a Q, J or T comes off on the turn and he bets out, I will have put myself in a tough spot. So I bet on the flop, about 600.

If he raises me, there's a good chance IMO he is doing so on a semi-bluff or with AK-AJ-AT, and I would probably re-raise all-in. If he flips over the nuts or a set, I hope to hit one of my outs to fill up. But with AK, I don't mind getting all the chips in the middle on this flop.

DonT77 10-12-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet 2/3 of the pot. If he raises, I call and shove any turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call and lead the turn instead of pushing over his raise ATF?

10-12-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. I'm ahead now, most aces held by an idiot call this anyway, all two pair hands get it in, at least 11 cards either kill the action or my hand...I'm playing this very strong all the way down until something convinces me not to.

edit: What villain has is not particularly important. On this flop, either he's going to give action or he's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What villain has is very important to us if he check/raises or check/calls us here.

10-12-2005 02:22 PM

Checking it down after villain calls is really really horrible, IMHO. Incidentally, a smart villain rarely calls on this flop with any hand, and almost never calls and then checks the turn without a drawing hand.