Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   buying real estate (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356077)

daryn 10-12-2005 11:50 AM

buying real estate

need some info on buying a house/condo

can you just walk into a real estate office and start asking questions? i am kind of a bum, i don't see myself fitting in. also nobody in their right mind would give me a loan due to having no job but what if parents co-sign? should it be no problem after that or could i still run into trouble?

let's put it this way, what is step #1?

peachy 10-12-2005 11:54 AM

Re: buying real estate

making urself not look like a bum so u CAN go into an office

zephed 10-12-2005 11:55 AM

Walk in and light fire to 100K, and let them know you still have the bankroll for 30/60.

EDIT: Yes I'm being a tool, but you'll get tons of other helpful replies I'm sure.

nyc999 10-12-2005 11:56 AM

Get your finances together and shop around for a mortgage pre-approval. You can't start looking until you know what you can afford.

Once you have done that, approach a few real estate agents and let them know what you are looking for. Doesn't matter what you look like, etc. - if you have a pre-approval for a certain amount, they will certainly start looking.

SomethingClever 10-12-2005 11:56 AM

Get a mortgage broker that you trust (recommendation from family or friends) and start looking into getting pre-approved.

You'll easily be able to get a loan, because you have tons of cash, no? You may have to get a stated income loan, which is like half a point higher than standard, but no biggie.

Then, once you're pre-approved, you'll probably want to get a good realtor, who can start scouting properties for you.

***I can't emphasize this enough***

Make sure your mortgage broker and realtor are trustworthy.

Xelent 10-12-2005 11:57 AM

Assuming your parents make a good living and have good credit, and I am guessing they with such marvelous offspring (lol), if they were to co-sign, you would most likely have zero trouble and it would be as if it was their credit.

samjjones 10-12-2005 11:57 AM

Yep. Before that, I'd probably ask around to see if any of my friends know a good/trustworthy real estate agent. If you are referred from a past client, the odds are you will be treated better. If you don't have a job, how are you going to afford a place? Do you have liquid savings? They are definitely going to judge your ability to pay.

daryn 10-12-2005 11:58 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Walk in and light fire to 100K, and let them know you still have the bankroll for 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not just use that as down payment?

Xelent 10-12-2005 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that would be plain stupid. Just light the money on fire idiot.

daryn 10-12-2005 11:59 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

any way to make this a peachy-less thread? ty

daryn 10-12-2005 12:00 PM

If you don't have a job, how are you going to afford a place? Do you have liquid savings? They are definitely going to judge your ability to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have a job, but i do have income. i also have liquid savings.

zephed 10-12-2005 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter because your reputation as a hit and run artist will prevent you from getting a loan.

daryn 10-12-2005 12:01 PM

ok, everyone is talking up this "pre-approved" business, and i'm digging it. problem is i know nothing about any of this stuff. what does that even mean? sounds like a good first step though

nyc999 10-12-2005 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, everyone is talking up this "pre-approved" business, and i'm digging it. problem is i know nothing about any of this stuff. what does that even mean? sounds like a good first step though

[/ QUOTE ]

Do something like Lending Tree, or call a local bank. The mortgage officers will take you through a 10 - 15 minute interview. You'll need all your financial info, but it's relatively painless.

vulturesrow 10-12-2005 12:03 PM

The main thing is to hope they havent seen the hot tub pic or the parasailing pic.

Seriously, there are a lot of different options for financing right now. Make sure you do some research on the different options so you dont get snowballed. Also, what is your aim with this purchase? Investment, long term home, combination thereof?

daryn 10-12-2005 12:03 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Do something like Lending Tree, or call a local bank. The mortgage officers will take you through a 10 - 15 minute interview. You'll need all your financial info, but it's relatively painless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just don't want to look silly when they ask "where do you work?"

mslif 10-12-2005 12:03 PM

A mortgage broker will tell you how much money a bank will be willing to lend you or "pre-approved for".

daryn 10-12-2005 12:04 PM

The main thing is to hope they havent seen the hot tub pic or the parasailing pic.

Seriously, there are a lot of different options for financing right now. Make sure you do some research on the different options so you dont get snowballed. Also, what is your aim with this purchase? Investment, long term home, combination thereof?

[/ QUOTE ]

just looking to live somewhere other than home w/ parents

peachy 10-12-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

any way to make this a peachy-less thread? ty

[/ QUOTE ]

i am being very serious...before u even go looking for a mor. or a house change the fact that u look like a bum (as said by u). Your appearence will be very important...unless u have CASH to pay for this house all at once - this is not an option that im kidding about.

daryn 10-12-2005 12:05 PM

A mortgage broker will tell you how much money a bank will be willing to lend you or "pre-approved for".

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have to pay for this service?

samjjones 10-12-2005 12:05 PM

If you can show that you've earned a reliable income for the past couple of years, that should be enough (combined with a sizeable down payment) to secure a pre-approval. You have filed tax returns, right?

peachy 10-12-2005 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless u have a friend that does this...in most cases yes

like i said in ur post some time ago about this...if u run into problems get a whatever type job for a few months to show income and retry for the loan

ur parents cosigning will all matter on how good thier credit is, net worth, and if they still have income

daryn 10-12-2005 12:06 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of cheddar are we looking at here?

mslif 10-12-2005 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No you do not. The mortgage broker will make his money when he gets you the loan.
The fact that you do not have a job will be your main problem. Your parents co-signature will be a must I imagine. Also, it can work in your favor if your parents have good credit, you can get a better interest rate

daryn 10-12-2005 12:07 PM

If you can show that you've earned a reliable income for the past couple of years, that should be enough (combined with a sizeable down payment) to secure a pre-approval. You have filed tax returns, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

only filed tax returns last year, and not for a lot of money

vulturesrow 10-12-2005 12:08 PM

Well like I said, get familiar with the various financing options. The reason I asked the question that I did is that it may drive the type of house you want to buy. Given what you answered, Id be inclined to look for a house that you can tolerate living in that has good resalue value. As with any major purchase, have a good idea of what you want or you will get railroaded by the agent. Dont ever forget they work off commission and you will have the proper suspicion of their motives. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mslif 10-12-2005 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 2 houses and never had to pay for pre-approval. Mortgage brokers make their money at closing

peachy 10-12-2005 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought 2 houses and never had to pay for pre-approval. Mortgage brokers make their money at closing

[/ QUOTE ]

i assumed he meant for the whole deal...didnt know he was just checking on "approval" - my bad

SomethingClever 10-12-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't.

I used a B&amp;M company out here that does this sort of stuff... and like you, I was looking to get pre-approved before I had a job.

I didn't have to pay for this service.

I'd recommend using a flesh and blood person that you can talk to rather than using something online like lending tree.

When it comes time to close, you pay for the service in terms of closing costs. Not sure what's standard... you will need to find out from someone reputable.

SomethingClever 10-12-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you do not have a job will be your main problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, daryn is literally swimming in money. He has one of those scrooge mcduck-esque vaults filled with gold coins.

He won't have a problem getting a loan.

mslif 10-12-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i assumed he meant for the whole deal...didnt know he was just checking on "approval" - my bad

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

daryn 10-12-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys, daryn is literally swimming in money. He has one of those scrooge mcduck-esque vaults filled with gold coins.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa let's not go crazy

if i could buy the place outright, cash, i would

samjjones 10-12-2005 12:14 PM

I'm thinking there's pretty much no way you'll be able to get a mortgage by yourself, then, if you cannot prove a reliable source of income in the future. Which is fine...just jointly purchase with your parents, and then buy them out at some juncture in the future. Then you'll have a tangible asset (the real estate) for any future loan needs.

mslif 10-12-2005 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not aware he was wealthy. It really depends on how much money you put down then. The bank will probably require you to put a certain amount down to secure the loan.

daryn 10-12-2005 12:18 PM

i'm not wealthy! lies!

rory 10-12-2005 12:20 PM

ray zee should really respond to this thread.

SomethingClever 10-12-2005 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i could buy the place outright, cash, i would

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't want to do that for lots of reasons.

But c'mon, don't be shy. I know you have a gold mansion and a rocket-car already.

mslif 10-12-2005 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not wealthy! lies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Does not really matter, go to a mortgage broker and tell him you situation, how much money you have, that your parents will co-sign if mecessary... He will be able to tell you exactly where you stand.
Good luck.

SomethingClever 10-12-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was not aware he was wealthy. It really depends on how much money you put down then. The bank will probably require you to put a certain amount down to secure the loan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you have even like 10% down, you can get a stated income loan. You'll pay a slightly higher interest rate, but you don't have to "prove" you have income.

You do have to have a good credit score, though.

daryn?

daryn 10-12-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you have even like 10% down, you can get a stated income loan. You'll pay a slightly higher interest rate, but you don't have to "prove" you have income.

You do have to have a good credit score, though.

daryn?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my credit score is pretty good. i think i posted it in a thread a while back.. maybe it was something like 745?

i definitely can and plan on putting at least 20% down too.