Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Daniel Negreanu Has Never Had a Royal Flush? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355820)

FakeKramer 10-12-2005 12:50 AM

Daniel Negreanu Has Never Had a Royal Flush?

From his most recent blog:

>>>From there I played a few coin flip situations. The first one I raised from late position with Ad Kd and the big blind moved all with Qc Qs- I called.

The flop came Qd Jd 6d giving me the nut flush and my opponent top set. The turn was a Q giving him quads and I was thinking, "Will my first ever royal flush be up against quads?" Nope.<<<

I really don't play poker all that much. I just started two years ago, and in that time, I've had four royal flushes. How can a well seasoned pro have never had one?

Has he had a few and was trying to sound cool in his blog?
Has he not played as many hands of poker in his life as I have? (I really hope that's not the case, because it will depress me if it is)
Any other reasons for this?

STG 10-12-2005 12:56 AM

Re: Daniel Negreanu Has Never Had a Royal Flush?

I've been playing for 3 years about 5000 hands a month, and never had one. My son had one playing hold'em when we were playing in a home game. That's the only one I've ever seen.
So I don't think it's very common.

Jim T 10-12-2005 12:58 AM

I had one playing video poker when I was 16. I haven't had another one since, and I'm 38 now.

Edit: Not counting PLO.

Bartman387 10-12-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So I don't think it's very common.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think??

that being said, I got two during my 5 day trip yo Vegas in may.

Victor 10-12-2005 01:06 AM

poker is rigged.

A_Junglen 10-12-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker is rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this one line could be a possible response for any thread on any subject on 2+2.

lighterjobs 10-12-2005 01:08 AM

my first and only royal was playing triple draw.

Shoe 10-12-2005 01:09 AM

I beleive him... but would say it depends on how much he plays online...

I have had a few royal flushes online (even folded one of them by mistake!), but if most of your play is live (like i assume his is), it would be much less likely that you would hit a royal as all these 4-8+ tabling TAG's here at 2+2

DeadMoneyOC 10-12-2005 01:17 AM

I had one playing chinese poker once.

Dynasty 10-12-2005 01:28 AM

Mason has a nice little story about his days playing draw poker in California. In all his years of playing, he was dealt a royal flush only once. Too bad he was playing draw lowball.

ConsciousOne 10-12-2005 01:38 AM

Ive had 2-3 of them online and one in a live game. I had QK of spades and my oppoent has A A, it was all in pre flop and i made it on the river. I have only been playing about a year and a half.

flo 10-12-2005 03:31 AM

I had one in a micro limit game. Net was around +3$... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

SCfuji 10-12-2005 03:49 AM

poor daniel. what shall he do? i know! swim around in the pool of cash he has won playing poker!

jeffraider 10-12-2005 05:21 AM

I had one, unfortunately I was playing the Stars Stud/8 .04/.08 game drunk off my ass. I think I made about $.50 off of it. because i had to split with an 8-low.

lol

rheaume 10-12-2005 05:56 AM

scfuji where can i find a bigger version of that ass holy crap

ive had 3 royals, all online - first was 1/2 limit actually triggered the bad beat bonus - other guy had a set of aces on the flop, turned quads, the ace of spades made my royal.

the second royal was in a small stakes sng, had atd and actually flopped a royal. no action though.

last one was real recently, .15/.25 6 handed NLHE. this one was good. i had qth and raised on the button 8x representing a big hand. sb reraised me to $5 from $2, guy on my right calls, and i had implied odds galore between the 2 of them and my pretty healthy stack for the stakes (was around $30) i flop the nut straight. the board is As Kh Jh. yeah thats right. im open ended str flush and i have the nuts ATm
sb reraiser bets out. because i dont know the rules of the site im on regarding the royal flush bonus (do u have to play to a showdow) i take the chance of getting outdrawn so i can hit that $150 royal bonus instead of scaring dudes off. so all 3 of us see the turn.
ace of hearts i have the royal. check check check. now, the river - a total blank. the aggressor in the sb goes all in. 2nd/3 calls. of course i call. sb (preflop reraiser) had kk and turned a boat. other guy had trip aces with an 8 offsuit kicker. mr kings full of aces went on tilt for literally hours. he was following me around to all my tables, telling me how terrible i am. of course i tried to explain to him that i had the nuts from the flop on and he didnt even have the nut boat, but u know how that goes.... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

pokerponcho 10-12-2005 01:48 PM

He probably played so many hands that he forgot.

benkahuna 10-12-2005 01:58 PM

Royals are no big deal. I saw 2 in 2 days last week at the Oaks Club. Serious about the second part, at least...

hogua 10-12-2005 02:03 PM

A few years ago, there was a 7Stud game at Hollywood Park in which 2 players each had a Royal.

It was a story in Card Player, with the angle the HPC was so nice becuase they let the players split the bad beat jackpot, even though neither one was beat.

10-12-2005 02:11 PM

I guess I make up for a couple of you. I've had 4 Texas royals since I started playing a year ago. 3 of them using both hole cards (including my last one on Friday). And I don't play nearly as many hands/wk as most people here.

four eight suited 10-12-2005 03:06 PM

I rivered 2 royal flushes within 20 minutes of eachother playing 3/6 6max on eurobet a few weeks ago, both w/ AQs. It was sick. First one i flopped only a Js and hit runner runner and the second I flopped KTs and rivered the J. And yeah, neither were those weak 4 cards to it on the board kind.

TomCollins 10-12-2005 03:38 PM

I had two royals in two days. I think it's the first times I've had one. The first one I flopped. The second one, I played the board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

illegit 10-12-2005 04:42 PM

Yeah, i found it interesting that he never had one also.

DarrenX 10-12-2005 04:44 PM

Ok, since everyone is digging theirs out... how about the 6-card royal?

#Game No : 1566650604
***** Hand History for Game 1566650604 *****
NL Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:9420584 Level:5 Blinds(100/200) - Wednesday, February 09, 20:56:10 EDT 2005
Table Table 12122 (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: tritofly ( $2245 )
Seat 5: DarrenX ( $1280 )
Seat 6: Johnnyboy77 ( $2910 )
Seat 7: davekaz80 ( $430 )
Seat 9: CSoko ( $1125 )
Seat 10: AAntiTrust ( $2010 )
Trny:9420584 Level:5
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DarrenX [ 9c Kc ]
tritofly: ouch
davekaz80 is all-In [430]
CSoko folds.
AAntiTrust folds.
tritofly folds.
DarrenX calls [330].
Johnnyboy77 folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, Ac, Qc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
** Dealing River ** [ Tc ]
davekaz80 shows [ Ad, 6d ] a pair of aces.
DarrenX shows [ 9c, Kc ] Royal Flush.
davekaz80 finished in sixth place.
DarrenX wins 1060 chips from the main pot with Royal Flush.

Yeah yeah, I didn't really need both cards... But here was my favorite one I witnessed...

50/100 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 2714664) - Mon Mar 15 19:42:40 EST 2004
Table Table 11560 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: pgbc1 (3550)
Seat 2: grisnar (1990)
Seat 3: UofM4Life1 (105)
Seat 6: wardyjef (195)
Seat 9: DarrenX (2160)
UofM4Life1 posts small blind (25)
wardyjef posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DarrenX [ 3h, 7s ]
UofM4Life1: wooooooo!
DarrenX folds.
pgbc1 calls (50)
grisnar calls (50)
UofM4Life1 folds.
wardyjef checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jc, Ac, 9h ]
wardyjef checks.
pgbc1 checks.
grisnar bets (300)
wardyjef calls (145)
wardyjef is all-In.
pgbc1 calls (300)
Creating Main Pot with $610 with wardyjef
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Kc ]
pgbc1 bets (3200)
pgbc1 is all-In.
grisnar folds.
** Dealing River ** : [ 9d ]
Creating Side Pot 1 with $3510 with pgbc1
** Summary **
Main Pot: 610 | Side Pot 1: 3510
Board: [ Jc Ac 9h Kc 9d ]
pgbc1 balance 4120, bet 3550, collected 4120, net +570 [ Qc Tc ] [ Royal Flush -- Ac,Kc,Qc,Jc,Tc ]
grisnar balance 1640, lost 350 (folded)
UofM4Life1 balance 80, lost 25 (folded)
wardyjef balance 0, lost 195 [ Js Kh ] [ two pairs, kings and jacks -- Ac,Kh,Kc,Js,Jc ]
DarrenX balance 2160, didn't bet (folded)

So much for milking it... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

10-12-2005 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I beleive him... but would say it depends on how much he plays online...

I have had a few royal flushes online (even folded one of them by mistake!)...

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're the one Ed Miller writes about in SSHE. Don't worry about it. Supposedly it's not as costly as poor preflop play.

Sponger15SB 10-12-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even remotely interesting? Wow, he has never gotten a royal, big [censored] deal. I'm sure there is a huge percentage of people who have never gotten a royal, this one guy just happens to be a good/famous poker player.

Noo Yawk 10-12-2005 06:14 PM

I've had 2 in 6 years. One in a 15-30 game where I won about 15 bucks and got a hat from Cantebury card club, and one in a 5-5 blind NL game where I won about 12 bucks.

illegit 10-12-2005 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this even remotely interesting? Wow, he has never gotten a royal, big [censored] deal. I'm sure there is a huge percentage of people who have never gotten a royal, this one guy just happens to be a good/famous poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, do you really need it explained? Is it not obvious? The more hands of poker you play the more likely you are to hit a royal at some point or another. Most serious players who have been playing for years have had at least one (I've had 2 in about 4 years of play). Thus it's interesting to note that one of the better players in the world has never had one, as you'd expect he'd play enough hands to have had one by now. It's not "OMGWTF?!?!!" interesting. It's "Hmm, interesting" interesting. If you don't think it is, then your probably don't think much at all.

yoadrians 10-12-2005 09:22 PM

I'm sure there are some pro golfers who have never had a hole-in-one, either.

goofball 10-12-2005 09:32 PM

in the party 5/10 I cracked both Aces full and quad kings with a royal. You can ask the dude about it.

krabby5 10-12-2005 10:46 PM

I finally saw one at a $30 bounty tourney at Doyle's Room....Some dude had pocket 10's and flopped a 10 on Doyle, himself..only to have Doyle river a Royal Flush...

Nice luck...he goes from thinking he will get a $250 bounty for busting out Doyle to getting River Royaled by the MAN himself!

funny stuff

as far as me...never had one...never will

tubbyspencer 10-12-2005 11:09 PM

I've had not one but two in the last two months.

I either 4 or 5 total online. And I've only been playing very part time for not quite 2 years now. (Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.)

PoBoy321 10-12-2005 11:23 PM

I've had 3 royal flushes in my life, 2 in hold 'em, one in 7 stud. I forget how the first happened, but the second was basically MP raises, I call on the button with AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Flop came TJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]x, he bet, I raised, he called. Turn bricked, check check. River was the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He bet, I pushed and he called with QQ.

KenProspero 10-12-2005 11:28 PM

Royal Flush -- this is kind of like the guy who caught two home run balls at the play-off game last week, while many people who go all the time have never gotten so much as a foul ball. Catching the homer ball means the baseball gods are with you. Hitting he Royal Flush means the poker gods are with you.

Personally -- never had a Royal, but I've had a couple of King-high Straight Flushes (Yawn) and enough Royal Flush draws at the turn or the river that I'm sure I'll hit eventually (Yawn Yawn).

FakeKramer 10-13-2005 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not "OMGWTF?!?!!" interesting. It's "Hmm, interesting" interesting. If you don't think it is, then your probably don't think much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]Touche.

Sponger15SB 10-13-2005 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think it is, then your probably don't think much at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, ok. That makes sense.

It is entirely uninteresting to learn that someone has been on the other end of gigantic varience for getting a royal flush. I've had 1 royal flush, and I just as easily could have 0, or 5. Maybe he has had 10 king high straight flushes?

I guess I'm in the minority here and should leave everyone alone to drool in amazement that daniel negreanu hasn't gotten a royal flush.....

Sponger15SB 10-13-2005 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally saw one at a $30 bounty tourney at Doyle's Room....Some dude had pocket 10's and flopped a 10 on Doyle, himself..only to have Doyle river a Royal Flush...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously Doyle's room is rigged [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tyler Durden 10-13-2005 01:36 AM

I had an awesome one in April 2004, while I was trying to qualify for the WSOP on Stars.

I was heads up in a $80+6 SNG. Winner got a seat in the $650 super sat. He had the chip lead. He raised, I reraised all in w/ AQd. He called w/ KJc.

Flop was Kd Jd 4s. Turn was the Jh. River was my one-outer, the Ten of Diamonds.

So I took the lead, and of course the poker gods wouldn't let me lose the SNG after that. Charmed life, I tells ya.

lacky 10-13-2005 02:36 AM

I've had 17, I guess someone likes me.

Steve

FakeKramer 10-13-2005 04:07 AM

I heard you went on to finish 126th in the Main Event.

dibbs 10-13-2005 04:41 AM

Anyone have the math of a rough rough estimate of how many hands that a live player(playing for a living, pretty much all year) compared to a mult-tablin online player?

It seems like that somewhere in all those years he would have hit one, but far from positive.

I have to beleive he's hit a royal in Omaha, but then again I guess most of his years were spent at holdem and stud games before that.