Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   First interview complete, this one with James282! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355737)

laja 10-11-2005 10:59 PM

First interview complete, this one with James282!

This is the first interview ever conducted so I want some constructive criticism so I can improve the next one:) A couple have said it seems like I interrupt him a lot but I wanted it to be more of a conversation than a formal interview. And if you have any questions that you think would be very good, even for a specific player tell me.

anyway,
hope you enjoy it, I certainly enjoyed doing it

http://www.pokermentor.net/hpm_interviews.html

Jeff W 10-11-2005 11:08 PM

Re: First interview complete, this one with James282!

Interesting interview. I'm surprised that James was knocked all the way down to $100 and needed a lucky break to get his career started. It helps me sleep better at night to know that even players with James' talent are going broke early on and not sticking around to check-raise bluff me on the river.

There is some good, if basic advice on taking shots and reading 2+2, etc. Solid first effort, Dan. Talk to me later re: how to improve future interviews.

partygirluk 10-11-2005 11:11 PM

I'd like to know who the "english soccer player" was!

The Legend 10-11-2005 11:40 PM

Good stuff. I didn't know you were from wisconsin. I was just there a few weeks ago to watch my wolverines lose to them badgers... Depressing.

inspectorgadget 10-11-2005 11:49 PM

Jesus Christ, I can't imagine losing 30k in one sitting... Doubt I could handle something like that. A nice interview, keep them coming... [censored] like this makes me feel better, to know i've started out better than a guy like that. hehe

imported_stealthcow 10-12-2005 12:40 AM

good interview.

just a word of advice, i dont nkow how the timing went in teh interview, but i think james seemed to be willing to really explain a lot of his answers, and you should've probably given him more time between them to really let his ideas flow

stealthcow-

bicyclekick 10-12-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, I can't imagine losing 30k in one sitting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try telling your mom about it.

Jdanz 10-12-2005 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good interview.

just a word of advice, i dont nkow how the timing went in teh interview, but i think james seemed to be willing to really explain a lot of his answers, and you should've probably given him more time between them to really let his ideas flow

stealthcow-

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff W 10-12-2005 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing I told him--that it seems like he's interrupting his guest. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

laja 10-12-2005 01:32 AM

lol, what can I say I'm an attention whore who can only supress it by making 20 tabling videos of himself and putting it to movie soundtracks. j/k,

Anyway, I learned in a psychology class about something called "active listening" where you are basically reflecting back on the person what they say to you and asking them to elaborate often, or asking related questions.

Also if it was in real time you could have seen that I gave more time than it seemed, he was playing poker while doing it, lol, so it wasn't extremely fast paced.

but next time I will try to be more silent and reflective [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thx for the input keep it coming

Victor 10-12-2005 01:35 AM

160k in a month. wowowowowowowowowowowow

Vavavoom 10-12-2005 02:52 AM

160K in September....Nize !

I need to get out of the kiddie pool....

I think a very good interview...

James282 10-12-2005 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing I told him--that it seems like he's interrupting his guest. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of our faults. I often did have more to say, but was playing at the time and sometimes taking a while, so I can understand why he prompted me again.
-James

Klepton 10-12-2005 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, I can't imagine losing 30k in one sitting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try telling your mom about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

or your father!! see I BrAg ToO!!!

POKhER 10-12-2005 05:37 AM

Lmfao,
My mum complained when i said "Ah i lost $70" if i ever get to 10/20.... and have a downswing... i think ill just cry in the corner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Interview was cool, Im very jelous of you high stakes players.... im lucky to make $10 in a day [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

MicroBob 10-12-2005 06:40 AM

as one who has done countless audio interviews with ball-players and coaches I can tell you that I think this is a fine first effort.

The first priority is if you extracted some interesting information from the subject...and I think you certainly did this in your interview.

As others have stated...a couple of the interruptions got in the way a little.
I think that in IM for an interview to really work you would need to be more concious of slowing down.

I know you probably don't have any recording devices...but if you had the ability to call the subject and then transcribe the material you might get a better content-flow.

Better still would be if you could meet the person live with a tape-recorder and do it that way.

I think that some of the interruptions and what-not are just a product of typical IM conversations.

but I definitely enjoyed this interview and look forward to the ones to come in the future.

KaneKungFu123 10-12-2005 06:41 AM

"MentorPoker: What was your hourly rate
James282: no idea
James282: but i won about 3 bucks a hand
James282: which is pretty good "

at 300 hands/hour thats $900 hourly, 7.5ptbb/100hands over 178 hours(42hrs/wk)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

spydog 10-12-2005 09:08 AM

I enjoyed that interview and look forward to the next installment. Kudos to James for not dodging any questions and being a pretty good interview.

Granite 10-12-2005 09:45 AM

Thanks guys, great read.

Cheers,
Granite

danzasmack 10-12-2005 10:25 AM

James282: we had more important things to worry about, like making a shitload of money

fyodor 10-12-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first interview ever conducted

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure there have been interviews before. Didn't Barbara Walters do one once?

Position 10-12-2005 12:20 PM

Didn't Barbara Walters do one once?

I wonder if she could make El D or Barron cry.

arkady 10-12-2005 02:14 PM

i havent read it, but next time - separate the interview and the intervieww into different colors.

thanks.

James282 10-12-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"MentorPoker: What was your hourly rate
James282: no idea
James282: but i won about 3 bucks a hand
James282: which is pretty good "

at 300 hands/hour thats $900 hourly, 7.5ptbb/100hands over 178 hours(42hrs/wk)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and you've seen me play. I ran REALLY hot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-James

EDIT: It was closer to like $2.80 per hand, and those numbers included 100-200 as well as NL.

B Dids 10-12-2005 03:42 PM

This will look 100X better if you reformat it such that it's not just a transcript of an aim conversation.

I'd suggest emails rather than AIM, simply so that both parties can ask and answer longer, better thought out questions.

It's interesting in a "hey, this is James" way, but there's not a lot of meat to it.

James282 10-12-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This will look 100X better if you reformat it such that it's not just a transcript of an aim conversation.

I'd suggest emails rather than AIM, simply so that both parties can ask and answer longer, better thought out questions.

It's interesting in a "hey, this is James" way, but there's not a lot of meat to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think the format is awkward also. I like your suggestion Dids.
-James

Smokey98 10-12-2005 04:27 PM

Stop interrupting.

psyduck 10-12-2005 05:41 PM

Nice interview.

Also, 160K in a month? That's like $1000/hr... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

nokia1566 10-12-2005 07:12 PM

For some reason the link to the interview isn't working for me. Is anyone else having this problem? Can someone please copy/paste the interview? (if this is ok with pokermentor)

Thanks

xenthebrain 10-12-2005 08:01 PM

Nice interview. I am looking forward to more of these. Good job

Paxosmotic 10-12-2005 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I came in here to say. No one wants to read a chatlog. Make it an interview.

laja 10-12-2005 08:08 PM

-I am open to suggestions, by email, do you mean me email him the questions and he type the responses? Then maybe me respond to his emails with a couple more questions based off of his initial responses, and then maybe a 3rd if there are still good topics.

-For aim I was also thinking about having them give me a signal like putting * after a sentence if he is not going to elaborate any more on it, so we both don't have to sit their awkwardly me being patient, and him knowing that he isn't gonna say anymore about it.

-on a side note, you can often get a truer look into someone when they have to respond faster and can't say everything articulately or politically correct!

tell me what you think

[censored] 10-12-2005 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what I came in here to say. No one wants to read a chatlog. Make it an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes definently I stopped reading half way through because of this.

Great idea, good effort,make the changes and keep it up.

Sponger15SB 10-12-2005 09:06 PM

Well, it also would have been nice if James would have not been playing poker while trying to give an interview.

James282 10-12-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it also would have been nice if James would have not been playing poker while trying to give an interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would have been nice, especially since he was paying me what my hourly earn would have been if I wasn't playing.
-James

stinkypete 10-12-2005 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i was hoping to see an interview, not a chat log.

EDIT: i guess about a million people have said this already. that's because they know what they're talking about.

Jeffage 10-12-2005 10:34 PM

The "tell them nothing" motto has served me quite well for a number of years.

Jeff

10-13-2005 12:11 AM

How about audio interviews. Digitally record a phone interview and see how the sound quality comes out. If it's decent, throw a link to a downloadable mp3 file. You'll get a lot more content per time spent. Also, I don't know if anyone else will agree, but I run across so many poker related things that I'd like to read on a consistant basis, that I'm truly getting sick of reading it all. But I have too. I can't help it. A nice relaxing listen would be good for a change.

If this were to work out, I think it would become very popular around here.

Ulysses 10-13-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that would have been nice, especially since he was paying me what my hourly earn would have been if I wasn't playing.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak, James.

You talk with friends on the phone or watch a game or a movie or all sorts of things you want to do and don't get paid your poker rate, right?

All Sponger is saying is that these interviews would be better if they were with someone who actually cared enough to carve out 30 minutes or an hour to do a real interview. I've done plenty of interviews at various points in my business career, and I've never once been answering emails, writing proposals, or doing sales calls while giving the interview.

Terrabon98 10-13-2005 12:48 AM

haha sweet, i was also there watchin my Wolverines lose...and it was almost as sad as being at the Minnesota game..