Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I was on national TV!! (OT) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=355627)

MicroBob 10-11-2005 08:17 PM

I was on national TV!! (OT)

Well - I already mentioned this is in the WPT forum...but the Zoo is kind of my 2+2 home so I thought I would mention it here.

That dork on his cell-phone at the beginning of tonight's ESPN WSOP main-event episode who said "Johnny Chan is at my table" was me.

It was 40 minutes into the event when Chan showed up (it looks like it was the very beginning...but it really WAS about 40 minutes in)...and I was overdue to call my blog-updater for my first WSOP update.

so the cameras came running to our table to show Chan's arrival...and then pointed them at me for my national-TV moment.

Thankfully, I didn't look or sound quite as bad as I thought I would (I had a hunch they might actually use the footage they had of me).

I didn't have anyone around to take a pic of me with Chan at the same table....so I'm kind of glad I can video-tape one of the re-runs to capture the moment forever.

1p0kerb0y 10-11-2005 08:22 PM

Re: I was on national TV!! (OT)

Wow, I didn't realize you were such a dork MB.

Just kidding. Congrats on your 15 minutes. I did see it when it aired and thought it was very funny.

EDIT: I must add you look and talk nothing like I had pictured.

MicroBob 10-11-2005 08:27 PM

Somebody in the WPT thread mentioned that I look like I lost 30 pounds compared with my blog-pics from the PPM cruise.

I guess I'll look at the positive side of that (since my national TV debut will be seen more than my blog-pics will) but I'm pretty sure that my weight was about the same.

dogmeat 10-11-2005 08:28 PM

Nice, Bob!.In every picture of me this year, I have a scowl on my face [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Oh well...........

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MicroBob 10-11-2005 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must add you look and talk nothing like I had pictured.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually - me too (meaning that seeing and hearing yourself on TV one tends to look and sound different than they think they do).

Yeah...my voice is pretty low for someone who is a towering 5'6" and it sounds a bit (or VERY) dorkish.
It worked back in the days when I was in rado (for 10+ years) but overall it just sounds strange.

As far as my looks are concerned.
pics of me are on my blog (bobspokerblog.blogspot.com) and there are more from the PPM cruise in the archives under 'April 24'.

jtr 10-11-2005 09:09 PM

Congrats Bob. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Jim Kuhn 10-11-2005 09:59 PM

Congrats Bob! I will have to watch and tell my friends 'I know that guy'!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

zuluking 10-11-2005 10:25 PM

Crap! I missed it! When is the replay this weekend?

MicroBob 10-11-2005 10:31 PM

Actually...I bet it's on again later tonight (they usually are) and will probably be shown about a zillion times throughout the week (and then on and on throughout the year...and then on ESPN classic too....oh crap....I'll be trying to live this down for the rest of my freaking life!!).

Sooner or later I'll set up a fresh tape in my VCR to capture the memory.

jzpiano14 10-11-2005 10:38 PM

nice bob, i got a good laugh outta that. Why don't u just buy the DVD when it comes out. What's a VCR??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mike3076 10-11-2005 10:47 PM

wow bobby you have your own website? great if i want poker avice i will go there not here, at least i know the advice comes from someone who actually plays for a living!

MicroBob 10-11-2005 10:51 PM

I wouldn't necessarily go there looking for great advice.

If you want to see pics of me on the PPM cruise or read my latest bad-beat whine or learn all about the latest with my rec-league soccer teams (our men's team is 4-1-1, co-ed is 1-4-1) then my blog is THE place.
Oh yeah, I do actually compose relevant info about poker on occassion. But you REALLY have to look for it!!

sfer 10-11-2005 10:59 PM

Bob, that's too funny. Even my gf laughed at you. Hope you Tivo'd it.

EDIT: Hmmm, that reads much more mean-spirited than I intended, which is not at all. Hope the fame lasts.

UATrewqaz 10-11-2005 11:01 PM

My GF and I thought it was kinda noobish, we laughed

haha @ it being you

Fun to be on TV though.

MicroBob 10-11-2005 11:14 PM

geez...lots of you guys sure seem to watch a lot of TV poker with your GF's.

So basically...every 2+2er's GF is laughing at that 'total n00b' on TV who just happens to be me!!
I guess I can live with that.

Not the first time I've had everyone laughing AT me (and not WITH me).
I tend to have a true talent for that (and now i've taken it to nationally televised levels).

edit: BTW, I doubt anyone's GF will have laughed harder at this than how hard MY GF is going to laugh when she finally gets to see it.

O Doyle Rules 10-11-2005 11:30 PM

Congrats Bob!

I was almost on TV and it also involved a cell phone.

Marco Traniello was at my table when he made that phone call to his wife, Jen Harmon, after she busted out early. (He was to my left)

What the cameras did not show was Marco crying uncontrollably on my shoulder afterwards!

(No. Not really, I can't back that up.)

Keith Fellmy 10-11-2005 11:37 PM

now I have to watch the repeat in the bar so I can say "Hey I know that guy...that's Micro Bob."

J_B 10-11-2005 11:39 PM

So, is this before or after you go allin with 33 sooted? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, any idea which wsop episode it is?

MicroBob 10-11-2005 11:43 PM

all-in with 33 was in the Stars double-shootout where I qualified for the WSOP.
I was heads-up with JC Tran (although at the time didn't know it was a 'name' player) and pushed my shortish stack with 33....and spiked the set on the river to suck-out against his 88.

The episode is the first one from the WSOP main-event (day 1a) and is at almost the very beginning (right after Norm and Lon do their introductory stand-up hello's).

Greg J 10-11-2005 11:48 PM

GOD I MISSED IT! I dozed for like 15 minutes.

Oh well.

J_B 10-11-2005 11:54 PM

Now I'm going to need to obtain a copy to see what MicroBob looks like.

So this was long after the allin with 33. It seems in any tourney you do need a bit of luck to win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SeanSkill 10-11-2005 11:56 PM

Bob, with your rapid climb in the all time 2+2 posting hall of fame, and the increased popularity of your blog you have become a bit of a celebrity. you're not on the greg Raymer level or anything, but I for one really enjoy the insights into your poker journey. Now that you have had 15 seconds of fame, start posting more often in your blog. You never know these little anecdotes and experiences could lead to a book, TV, or maybe even satellite radio deal, so get back to work.

Shoe 10-11-2005 11:58 PM

I agree with Sean... your getting to the level were a site should start sponsoring you.

tdarko 10-12-2005 12:00 AM

congrats bob, now i have a reason to turn on the tv.

MicroBob 10-12-2005 12:09 AM

I was on TV way way back in the day back in my radio sportscasting days.

"St. Lucie Mets weekly with Bob DeCourcey" (my middle name...and what I used on the air) was an all-time, local cable-access CLASSIC back in the 1996 Florida State League season.

Equally painful to watch as this ESPN bit.
Only difference then was that I had more hair and weighed less.

I also have some videotapes somewhere of doing Miami (Ohio) student-television football games where my broadcast partner was none other than Chris Rose who now does the play-by-play on most of Fox-Sports poker-broadcasts.

Sorry for waxing WAY off-topic..it's just that the uncomfortability and awkwardness of seeing myself on TV tonight is bringing back some DEEP-rooted memories.

goodguy_1 10-12-2005 12:13 AM

dude maybe you could combine both these interests and do some poker play-by-play...ever thought of it?

MicroBob 10-12-2005 12:23 AM

Very much so.

When I first started playing though I didn't know who Doyle Brunson or Phil Hellmuth were.

Now I have a better handle on the game's history and am more knowledgeable.

It is not inconceiveable that I could try to push my way into some poker play-by-play or general talk in the future.
seems there are more and more internet-radio talk-shows about poker too.

Also in the back of my head would be the idea of making enough money at poker to be REALLY comfortable and perhaps getting back with a minor-league baseball team (that would likely pay virtually nothing...as is the case with most teams) somehow.

I don't know...kind of busy with a ton of other stuff right now. but in a year or two...who knows??

MicroBob 10-12-2005 02:29 AM

my GF came over after work and saw the re-run at 1am central.....

and laughed her ass off.

and then made sure to give a reassuring, "Bobby I still love you" which was very sweet.

I observed, yet again, that I have a fairly large head and I tend to move it around a lot.....arrrrrgh.....what a total dork I am!!

jzpiano14 10-12-2005 02:35 AM

we still love ya [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Inthacup 10-12-2005 03:14 AM

So basically...every 2+2er's GF is laughing at that 'total n00b' on TV who just happens to be me!!

hahaha

tdarko 10-12-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just that the uncomfortability and awkwardness of seeing myself on TV tonight is bringing back some DEEP-rooted memories.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha i think we all feel like this when seeing ourselves on tv, it's like listening to ourselves on an answering machine [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

tdarko 10-12-2005 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also in the back of my head would be the idea of making enough money at poker to be REALLY comfortable and perhaps getting back with a minor-league baseball team (that would likely pay virtually nothing...as is the case with most teams) somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]
or you could get REALLY REALLY comfortable and play for ELMIRA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

MicroBob 10-12-2005 03:30 AM

thinking about the 9-zillion re-runs and the DVD sales is making me a bit squeamish.

Can anyone recommend a good shrink? I might need one soon!
(just kidding.....mostly....but if I DO happen to go off the deep-end, you guys will know EXACTLY where the start of my eventual demise was).

I can handle losing with KK vs. AA for 12k in chips in the WSOP:
That didn't really bug me.

Looking like a dork on national TV:
Ummmm....no comment.

RollaJ 10-12-2005 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I told my girlfriend you were not a newbie, you are an "Internet Superstar"

PS. I didnt laugh at you..... but I laughed my ass off a few minutes later at Jennifer Harmon [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PPs. Also, I was surprised, you look nothing like your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

10-12-2005 01:14 PM

SCREENSHOT PLEASE!!!!! CONGRATS BOB!

Homer 10-12-2005 04:00 PM

It's coming on now. I'm getting ready to laugh.

Homer 10-12-2005 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's coming on now. I'm getting ready to laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed. Haha.

MelK 10-12-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SCREENSHOT PLEASE!!!!! CONGRATS BOB!

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone here should make a film clip of it, and Bob can post it on his blog.

Perseus 10-12-2005 04:13 PM

When I saw that on TV last night I laughed to myself about Noobs at the WSOP.

When I read about it in your blog this morning I thought "no [censored]" laughed out loud.

Hope you enjoy your fifteen minutes, and hopefully your next will be at a TV final table.

MicroBob 10-12-2005 04:17 PM

That's something that occured to me.
If I'm that uncomfortable with about 10 seconds of looking like a total dork on TV then how will I be if I actually DO get to a final-table or something where I'm on for a little bit longer?

Oh well....for a few hundred-thousand bucks I think I could handle the embarassment.