Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Aces against wtfsvi (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=353954)

emil3000 10-09-2005 04:04 PM

Aces against wtfsvi

Button here is Hattifnatt, who posts here a bit. He raises a lot. My threebetting range here is pretty wide, although I am not sure what wtfsvi thinks it is. He is BB. Good games at eurobet now eh? Wtfsvi is thinking, aggressive, and tricky. He certainly isn't afraid to play with me, quite the opposite it seems, likes to do delayed bluffs and various fancy plays in position against me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($394)
Hero ($396)
BB ($400)
UTG ($291.90)
MP ($402.20)
CO ($631.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $63</font>, BB calls $61, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: ($154) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, BB calls $100.

Turn: ($354) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: ($354) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB calls $235 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $589

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins $589. </font>

wdeadwyler 10-09-2005 04:07 PM

Re: Aces against wtfsvi

You played your hand like a missed AQs or something. Why did you check the turn?

jkkkk 10-09-2005 04:07 PM

Fold pf.

jkkkk 10-09-2005 04:12 PM

Despite the Norwegians luck, you can't check behind on that river, I think you played this fine. This thread would of been a lot more interesting had he pushed the turn.

emil3000 10-09-2005 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite the Norwegians luck, you can't check behind on that river, I think you played this fine. This thread would of been a lot more interesting had he pushed the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or on the flop.

emil3000 10-09-2005 04:18 PM

Give me a range for him on the turn.

Bukem_ 10-09-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I give you a range preflop. Aces or Kings.

gulebjorn 10-09-2005 04:21 PM

Why not push the turn?

jkkkk 10-09-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KK-TT, AK-AQ possibly [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s.

I doubt hes re-raising often against a 2+2'er w/ suited connectors or some other well disguised hands unless theres deep stacks.

jkkkk 10-09-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mis-read the hand at first.

I believe my hand range is still accurate on the turn besides AQ and QQ,TT.

You played this fine imo, the river sucks but the only hand I realistically see you beating here is AK, unlikely though.

yvesaint 10-09-2005 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I give you a range preflop. Aces or Kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

or queens

or AK

or AQ

or JJ

wtfsvi 10-09-2005 04:33 PM

There is definitly no AQ in my range. Remember, I'm not stupid.

pokerjoker 10-09-2005 04:33 PM

how could u possibly not push turn.

emil3000 10-09-2005 04:34 PM

I am a bit torn on whether AK is in your range. Not because I think you fold, but cause I think you push that.

yvesaint 10-09-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nonono, im giving the range for the OP pre-flop, in response to whoever said he ONLY has AA/KK

Bukem_ 10-09-2005 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And AK, JJ are out too, unless you think they are both full of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I'm only talking pre.

wtfsvi 10-09-2005 04:37 PM

I think bukem was reffering to my preflop range. I could be wrong though.

emil3000 10-09-2005 04:38 PM

I think you misunderstood Bukem. And my range is way wider than that, although some of the hands are only reraised occasionally.

yvesaint 10-09-2005 04:39 PM

yea i read it wrong

stupid pronouns

jkkkk 10-09-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And AK, JJ are out too, unless you think they are both full of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I should really take the time to read posts properly, only just realised wtfsvi wasn't orig raiser. His call clearly indicates AA-QQ, AA being unlikely and KK being more likely than QQ.

Bukem_ 10-09-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I should really take the time to read posts properly, only just realised wtfsvi wasn't orig raiser. His call clearly indicates AA-QQ, AA being unlikely and KK being more likely than QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding DIng Ding. THought I went crazy for a second this weak tight forum suddenly burning money with aq.

wdeadwyler 10-10-2005 12:52 AM

Will WTFSVI oblige us with what he had? I am curious.

amoeba 10-10-2005 12:57 AM

Was this on eurobet? or was this on party?

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 01:00 AM

Push turn. If he outdrew you, he paid too much to do so. I'm never folding when I get that much of my stack in preflop.

Edit: Oh, I'm also re-raising bigger out of the blinds. Make it 80 at least, IMO. If people fold too often, do it more frequently. It is better to make your raises bigger out of position and then balance the frequency for the bigger raise rather than to make them smaller and then balance the frequency for the smaller raise.

amoeba 10-10-2005 01:16 AM

I agree with reraising bigger out of the blinds.

but are you saying due to how much wtf called preflop, even if he outflops us, its ok?

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 01:19 AM

Yup. If he has KK here and I get it all in on the turn every time a K flops and he folds the flop every time a K doesn't flop (unlikely!) I'm still making money from his preflop call. But if I start letting him bluff me out on the river for less than a pot-sized bet then I'm likely going to be losing money. So if he's playing normal, push the turn. If he's playing super aggro, check turn and check river but you better call if he bets. NO FOLDING! (Which is even clearer if you make it 80 preflop. Another good reason to make it 80. Postflop plays itself.)

Malachii 10-10-2005 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will WTFSVI oblige us with what he had? I am curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
He obviously had the nuts. Come on dude, it's Wtfsvi.

emil3000 10-10-2005 09:14 AM

You're right about preflop, no question. It's weird, I thought I had bet sizes down decently, but last week I made too samll reraises with aces at least three times. I lost big pots on all three hands, so maybe that will teach me finally.
Also, of course I won't ever fold this hand if I make it 80 pre.

I disagree however with just getting it in knowing its -EV cause I reraised preflop. It's really rare for me to fold in those spots, but sometimes it can be correct. It may or may not be in this instance. And as for getting bluffed out, well me and wtfsvi don't really have any metagame thing going yet, but if he starts thinking he can push me around I just have to adapt to that and call him more. I don't see that as a big problem. Also people that have played with me know I am not exactly a big folder.

emil3000 10-10-2005 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this on eurobet? or was this on party?

[/ QUOTE ]
eurobet

DoomSlice 10-10-2005 09:41 AM

One of my favorite lines in TOP:

"If you act weak and induce a bluff, you must call it when he bets" (Paraphrased)

emil3000 10-10-2005 09:43 AM

True, although that is not what I was doing.

DoomSlice 10-10-2005 09:45 AM

Yet it's very possible that it had that effect.

wtfsvi 10-10-2005 10:01 AM

I had KK in this hand, and I think my preflop range for calling preflop at the moment was pretty much AA-QQ. Don't know if I'd push or call or fold with AK, probably fold.

I had been very aggressive and tricky, pulling all sorts of weird moves on Emil, so I was in passive mode. Not about to try to make him make laydowns. Therefore, the tight calling range preflop. If Emil was on to that, good third(/fourth/fifth or whatever. I don't feel like counting.)-level thinking by him and a hand very well played.

On the flop, I figured I'd let him push the turn himself since I, while I thought he was on a real hand, was not sure of it. That's also the reason for the turn check behind. I wanted to give him every oportunity to bluff off his stack if he didn't have anything. In retrospect, I think I should push the turn since the turn check behind followed by the river push shows more strength because of the above mentioned oportunity for him to bluff, and because I knew Emil was on to my delayed bluffing, but I hadn't shown down a delayed bluff yet. (So even though it was obvious what was going on from a previous hand, maybe he hadn't adjusted to me knowing that he knew. He probably had though.)

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 10:28 AM

What do you do with KK if he makes it 80 preflop?

wtfsvi 10-10-2005 11:21 AM

I'm flat calling and not getting away on a rag flop. Not doing anything different from now I think.

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 11:33 AM

I agree. Which is why that's the play from his end for sure. Postflop plays itself.

wtfsvi 10-10-2005 11:30 PM

Well. A pot sized raise is to $68, right? And he raised to $65. I don't really think we can fault him for making a pot sized raise. I don't know if $80 would be better, but $65 is not bad.

I think he played the hand very well. But it's really tough to give advice on hands between two players that adapt to each others current play in a forum like this. These situations are where the game and discussion gets interesting though.

TheWorstPlayer 10-11-2005 04:20 AM

I always raise/re-raise more than pot sized out of the blinds. There is nothing magical about pot-sized. And when you look at stack sizes (which you should do when re-raising) 80 seems to make more sense than 70 here, IMO. Obviously not a huge deal. But you are going to feel more comfortable knowing that you can't make a mistake postflop. 70 is just a LITTLE bit borderline for that. Which gives the nagging feeling of 'maybe I should fold' which is just a lot worse mindset than being committed preflop. Let others know where you're at. It will also help you steal if you re-raise big in general.

emil3000 10-11-2005 02:56 PM

Like I said previously, I totally agree with TWP in this. It was a mistake, and also a mistake that I think a lot of people make. When someone reraises small out of the blinds against me, and I know he is on a tight range, I lick my lips. Often the players that raise too small are also the palyers that don't raise enough.