Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Replacements (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=353040)

PokerBob 10-08-2005 05:53 AM

The Replacements

the greatest band many/most of today's college kids have never heard of. download "Can't Harldy Wait" (the Tim version) and all will be revealed.

billyjex 10-08-2005 05:54 AM

Re: The Replacements

geezer

PokerBob 10-08-2005 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
geezer

[/ QUOTE ]

touche

whiskeytown 10-08-2005 06:26 AM

my old hangout was the Uptown Bar -

Bob Stinson's mom owned it at one time and they played there sometimes. He lived near uptown, real close to me - (I know the house where they're sitting on the roof - forget which album cover ) -

I sat next to Tommy a few weeks ago and didn't know it - and I know where Bob's bench is (a bench dedicated to him after he passed on near Lake Calhoun)

but I never saw them - they self destructed before I came to MN - I heard it was like going to watch a televised execution, or it could be the greatest show ever - you just never knew, apparently.

Personally -- Westerburg's writing never did it for me - the bad was ok - and the vibe was great, esp. for the 80's but the music doesn't do a lot for me - I keep thinking of them as a poor man's version of the Goo Goo Dolls (before the Goo Goo Dolls became a poor man's version of the Replacements) -

RB

craig r 10-08-2005 06:35 AM

I prefer to remember the Goo Goo Dolls (or "The Goo" as lame people called them) as "Sexpot".

craig

p.s. Man The Goo sucks.

whiskeytown 10-08-2005 06:35 AM

I really thought albums 3-5 kicked ass....everything since is dogshit.

RB

craig r 10-08-2005 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really thought albums 3-5 kicked ass....everything since is dogshit.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't know anything about them other than some songs they had on the radio since 98 (maybe 97). Oh, and I watched a Behind the Music on them as well (not because i like them, but because I will watch this show no matter who the band is).

But, as a peace offering, I do like the lead singer of your username on here.

craig

whiskeytown 10-08-2005 07:47 AM

yo, that does nothing for me -

Ryan's been a [censored] wanker ever since "Gold" - LOL -

for my money nothing match him and Catlain singing in harmony, she on violin - Pneunomia is one of my all time favorite albums -

Heartbreaker was pretty good too - and after that he became a rock star and totally screwed the pooch.

RB

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 09:04 AM

I loved the Replacements and saw them in Phoenix like 1983/84. They were one of my favorite bands of the early/mid 1980's.. TwinTone was a great label at that time. But my favorite bands from Minneapolis are Husker Du -who were on SST(Black Flag's label) early on and The JayHawks-their first album was on TwinTone I think.

I never dug Soul Asylum who were also on twinTone..they were way too mellow for me.

In 1980's I was a punk..

Never really got too much into Paul Westerbergs solo stuff.

Here are some great underated artists/ bands of the 1early 1980's-early 1990's that I listened to:

Lets Active, Game Theory, The Feelies, Concrete Bonde, LLoyd Cole(and TheCommotions), Green on Red, MudHoney, Screaming Trees, Dinasaur Jr., The Original Sins, The Lyres, Hoodoo Gurus, Therapy, Meat Puppets, The Stranglers, The ColorField, The FuzzTones, The Birthday Party, Peter and The Test Tube Babies, Buzzcocks, TheFall, Echo and TheBunnymen, Gang of Four ,Killing Joke, The Psychedilic Furs, The Jam, The Style Council, Patti Smith, Butthole Surfers,The Del Fuegos, The Dream Syndicate, The LongRyders, Wire, Bauhaus/Tones on Tail, Beat Rodeo, Jesus Lizard, YoLaTengo, Thin WhiteRope, BadReligion, Adolescents, MinorThreat, SocialDistortion,TheSmiths, The Blasters, Fabulous TBirds, X, Pixies, TSOL, TheLyres, The Fall, CelibateRifles, TheMinutemen, The Stranglers, Fleshtones, The GodFathers,Miracle Legion, Lords of The New Church,The Church,The Bongos,Fear,Television,Blondie, LimeSpyders, The FleshEaters, Black Flag, CicleJerks, DOA, UltraVivid Scene, TheThe, Naked Prey, XTC, Del Lords, Billy Bragg, The Cramps, True West, The Gun Club, LosLobos, Joy Division, New Order, Ministry, Big Black, Bad Brains, JawBreaker, StoneRoses, The Connells, BlueAeroplanes,Mazzy Star, That Petrol Emotion, DirtFisherMan, Squeeze, The Specials,The Chills, Scruffy The Cat, Kirsty MacColl, Buffalo Tom, The Wedding Present, Lush, Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays, Flaming Lips,,Sonic Youth,Iggy Pop, Robyn Hitchcock, Giant Sand, Smithereens, King Missile, The Vandals, Screaming Blue Messiahs, Alice in Chains, My Bloody Valentine, Fishbone, WoodenTops, GooGoo Dolls, Untouchables, Love Tractor, Laughing Hyenas, Love Battery, Beautiful South,,Young Fresh Fellows,SubHumans, Wall of Voodoo, Angry Samoans, Naked Raygun, BigBoys, Soungarden, Mekons, Gin Blossoms, Cocteau Twins,MIA,LemonHeads)

most underappreciated bands imo of this era were TheFeelies,Green on Red, HuskerDu,Screaming Trees,DOA,The Connells,The Blue Aeroplanes,The Fall

Matt Flynn 10-08-2005 09:45 AM

mid-level band.

but i saw them at the Fillmore in San Francisco in 1987 or '88. we were right on the stage, dead center. oustanding show.

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 10:47 AM

too late to edit The Minutemen must be on that list of the most underated/underapprciated bands of that era.

Saw them in Phoenix w/Black Flag around 1984, At the time Phoenix was a great music town many Socal hardcore, roots rock and paisley underground bands ie Battalion of Saints, even LosLobos -at the time,X ,Blasters etc played often just to pay the bills..this was before hardcore/alternative rock was co-opted by the major labels..great time to be young and into music because the scene was so diverse and all the gigs were at a very high enery level.

Best show I ever saw in a bar was Los Lobos at Mason Jar Phoenix 1985-this was back when LosLobos rocked hard. That punk scene back then thu was pretty rough-everyone was so wasted.

The SouthWest rock scene of the time which gave birth to bands like TrueWest, Green on Red, LongRyders, THeBlasters were the precurser to what has now beome so popular ie Alt.Country,Americana-good old roots rock but with energy!

sfer 10-08-2005 10:49 AM

Their great appearance on SNL would suffice as well.

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 10:57 AM

they were my favorite band for a year or two! cant remember that was so long ago-haha jeesh that 20 years ago. I was in my early 20's just a kid-like must of the posters on here. This was before the internet-omfg

getting to be an old fvck haha

sfer 10-08-2005 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
too late to edit The Minutemen must be on that list of the most underated/underapprciated bands of that era.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real irony is that everyone in OOT has heard The Minutement because they all watched Jackass.

fnord_too 10-08-2005 11:04 AM

Sloppy Seconds is (was?) a very fun punk band from the 80's. Also, The Casandra Complex is cool, but more on the dark, industrial side.

rustyboy 10-08-2005 11:11 AM

Loved HuskerDu, and most especially their protegeies, the Meat Puppets.

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 11:12 AM

yes alot of these bands that were passed over during their early careers became critical favorites post facto. Ie JoyDivision, The Specials, X,Social Distortion,

Another underated band was Miracle Legion..The Untouchables were a great ska band that didnt get their due.

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sloppy Seconds

[/ QUOTE ]
or do you mean 7 Seconds- very good socal hardcore band if i recall. Yes Cassnadra Complex I have one of their albums hanging around.

PokerBob 10-08-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their great appearance on SNL would suffice as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

the clothes thing has to be one of the gretest moments of rock on TV.

StevieG 10-08-2005 12:25 PM

Whiskeytown, and others-

Who did "Closing Time?" It got a lot of local airtime and I think it's burned into my brain.

MrTrik 10-08-2005 12:29 PM

I used to go see the Replacements all the time. One of the more interesting shows I was at might have been the first time I saw them live. It was at a West bank bar called the Cabooze. Back then it was much more of a biker bar than the college hangout it became later.

The band was not being well received by the bikers but the few college kids in the place (me and my friends) were lovin it. I think this was just after Sorry Ma came out since that was the first one I bought.

Bob Stinson was wearing a dress. Him and Westerberg were way into their bottles and were really [censored] around on stage. I don't remember who started what, but the two of them started fighting on stage. They were writhing around in a drunken brawl on the stage and Bob's ass was hanging out because he didn't have anything on under the dress.

The bouncers ended up cutting the show short by throwing the entire band out of the place.

PokerBob 10-08-2005 12:33 PM

i got to see their 2nd last show (a free show at Summerfest in Milwaukee), when they did the most non-rock n'roll thing a band could do; they went on EARLY. classic.

twankerr 10-08-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whiskeytown, and others-

Who did "Closing Time?" It got a lot of local airtime and I think it's burned into my brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

semisonic

StevieG 10-08-2005 12:57 PM

Thanks, twankerr.

Now I know who to curse whenever "now gather up your jackets / move it to the exits" pops into my brain.

bdk3clash 10-08-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mid-level band.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want the mask back.

rohjoh 10-08-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Best show I ever saw in a bar was Los Lobos at Mason Jar Phoenix 1985-this was back when LosLobos rocked hard. That punk scene back then thu was pretty rough-everyone was so wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the Violent Femmes in Phoenix, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. This was before anyone knew who they were(83 maybe), and they came out on stage at this hardcore punk show with Pink Tu Tu's on, and holding huge dildo's. People were throwing [censored] at them. They started playing and tore it up. They killed it. I grew up during this same period in Orange County, but would go to see my relatives in Phoenix. I saw more than a few shows at the Mason Jar. I was also lucky to live close to the Koo Koo's Nest, which had its fair show of great punk bands play.

goodguy_1 10-08-2005 05:43 PM

yeah I'm from New Jersey originally my hometown favorite venues were CityGardens in Trenton and Maxwell's-home turf for The Feelies, Yo La Tengo and other Hoboken bands-always was one of the best venues in the country.

I talked to the owner of Maxwells in early 1990's about possibly buying the place -he was looking to sell it.

I used to write down all the shows I'd seen.

I saw Battalion of Saints-from SanDiego one night at Mason Jar-the guy od'ed on stage.
Here's abunch of other great bands I saw that Idint mention before. Youth Brigade,Broken Bones, RankNFile,Tupelo ChainSex, Sacharine Trust,UK subs,The Exploited,10,000 Maniacs,Legal Weapon,Sioxsie and The Banshees,GangGreen,Slamming Watusis,Jazz Butcher,Dumptruck,Pussy Galore,PosterChildren,The Ramones,Db's,The Bangles,Flipper,Rockats,Dickies,Dead Kennedies,PIL.

More memorable shows City Gardens back back nites of X around 1983, The Clash at Asbury Park Convention Center in 84/ ish?-best friend got busted by the cops with a bag of pot and was put in jail-haha.

Saw a bunch of shows in LasVegas during this time early/mid 1980's since I spent more time in Vegas than going to schoool at ASU in Tempe-haha good gigs in Vegas were Hoodoo Gurus, LongRyders,INXS,Neil Young.

Other great shows in Phoenix were Love and Rockets,The Blasters,The Fabulous T-Birds(when they still had Jimmy Ray Vaughn),Albert Collins at Mason Jar and many others.

craig r 10-08-2005 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The real irony is that everyone in OOT has heard The Minutement because they all watched Jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is kind of depressing if that is true.

Did anybody read "Our Band Could Be Your Life"?

craig

MonkeeMan 10-08-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I'm from New Jersey originally

[/ QUOTE ]

what exit?

PokerBob 10-09-2005 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

whiskeytown 10-09-2005 05:59 AM

bartenders hate that song....LOL If it's on the jukebox, you know some son of a bitch is gonna play it every night at 145.

I have a friend of a friend who was in the video - she's an everquest addict - LOL.

the drummer for Semisonic wrote a great book on the things they went thru and the music industry in general.

RB

craig r 10-09-2005 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is another good one called "We Owe You Nothing". It was published by Punk Planet. It has interviews with a lot of bands, that I felt, "Our Band Could Be Your Life" left out.

craig

StevieG 10-09-2005 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the drummer for Semisonic wrote a great book on the things they went thru and the music industry in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested. The book is "So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star" by Jacob Slichter.

Steve Albini's essay The Problem With Music is a scathing polemic. It was written back in 1993 or so. If you think it's too long, just skip to Part II "There's This Band." Brilliant.

If the book is anything like this essay, I'll have to read it.