Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Should I Feel Good About This Laydown? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352726)

KramerTM 10-07-2005 06:33 PM

Should I Feel Good About This Laydown?

Trying to allow laydowns to have the same warm and fuzzy effect that winning big pots has. Should I feel good about this one? No major reads as I just got to the table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (NL$100) <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5.00</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $19.50</font>, BB calls $19.00, MP calls $15.00.

Flop: ($60.00) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

Turn: ($60.00) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)
</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $57.00</font>, MP folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $117.00.

jjacky 10-07-2005 06:37 PM

Re: Should I Feel Good About This Laydown?

i think your laydown is fine. hard to imagine that you are good here. you bead KK and tie AK... that can't be good enough against 2 opponents.

BigFishSmallCardRoom 10-07-2005 06:38 PM

Terrible laydown. Call his all-in. You are ahead of 70% of his holdings. Especially at a short table.

10-07-2005 06:39 PM

tell me if Im reading this incorrectly, but you reraised to 19.5xBB, with a hand that is dominated by 2 of the 4 that will likely call you here.

Isnt that too large?

KramerTM 10-07-2005 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are ahead of 70% of his holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please list these? With that board, I see very little that I am ahead of.

10-07-2005 06:42 PM

It's hard to imagine you're actually ahead here. In fact, I think it would be absolutely foolish to call this. After all, it's hard to imagine someone bluffing into a preflop raiser and reraiser with that board. Good fold.

vabogee 10-07-2005 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible laydown. Call his all-in. You are ahead of 70% of his holdings. Especially at a short table.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

yvesaint 10-07-2005 06:52 PM

bet the flop

check flop, check turn is a big sign saying 'i dont like this board, i probably have a missed AK on the flop'

PokerFink 10-07-2005 06:53 PM

Good laydown. You don't really beat anything.

10-07-2005 06:56 PM

You are behind to so many hands here you have to fold to the turn bet.

What do we think of the flop check here? Should he have led with a continuation bet? He may be able to represent an overpair.

KramerTM 10-07-2005 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

check flop, check turn is a big sign saying 'i dont like this board, i probably have a missed AK on the flop'

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a c-bet on this flop prices me in for my straight draw anyway. That's why I'd rather check to see if I can hit my straight for cheap on a board that most likely gave someone at least top pair.

PokerFink 10-07-2005 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do we think of the flop check here? Should he have led with a continuation bet? He may be able to represent an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have to check the flop. JJ, QQ and KK are not folding. Anyone stupid enough to call preflop with AQ is not folding. The chances that both of your opponents have a foldable hand (basically AK and an underpair) is slim.

10-07-2005 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have to check the flop. JJ, QQ and KK are not folding. Anyone stupid enough to call preflop with AQ is not folding. The chances that both of your opponents have a foldable hand (basically AK and an underpair) is slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. With two people calling $20 preflop, I'm thinking there's a high probability one of them has JJ or QQ.

KramerTM 10-07-2005 07:07 PM

RESULTS

Villain said he JJ for a set of Jacks. Who knows if he was telling the truth.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like most of us agree that this board is too scary to bet into 2 callers of reraises.

10-07-2005 07:09 PM

And another thing is that this hand is obviously going to get real expensive. You could very well have to put your whole on the line before it's all done with. Do you really want to do that here? You're probably already behind and I certainly wouldn't want to play for my whole stack in this situation. Seems like a clear fold.

emil3000 10-07-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
You really bet this flop? I don't get it.

The_Bends 10-07-2005 08:05 PM

No way do you bet this flop. You've raised massive preflop and got two callers. What are we hoping they have? AK and TT? One of them problably hit the board at least enough to call and theres a good chance a monster is outthere.

Nice laydown.

amoeba 10-07-2005 08:25 PM

this is played fine.

occasionally you will lose your preflop reraise when you do it with AK but the majority of time, I've found a reraise with AK to be more profitable than a smoothcall.

10-10-2005 12:54 AM

Anyone care to comment on what Enthusiast said...that the re-raise preflop was high? I felt it was as well....and is the only thing I probably do different.

10-10-2005 01:23 AM

yep, folding is correct. no need to be risky. youre probably losig.

10-10-2005 01:36 AM

nice laydown, feel good that you didnt bet that ace.

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 02:16 AM

On a completely unrelated note, I almost never re-raise AK out of the blinds. Playing AK OOP is never fun. Why make it less fun. The only time for me that it is fun is when I flop TPTK against a LAG and check/call their whole stack. Usually, though, it is not fun unless you flop broadway.

amoeba 10-10-2005 02:19 AM

funny. I almost always reraise AK out of the blinds especially if villain is known aggressive preflop but sensible postflop.

bobbyi 10-10-2005 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing AK OOP is never fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't not being excited about taking a flop be an argument for the play he made (big reraise) rather than for a call?

jonnyUCB 10-10-2005 05:26 AM

Gotta open up the 3-betting range if you want any action on your big hands, TWP. Not to mention you're giving away EV vs unpaired hands.

Especially if 6h is your game.. Cmon! Its really nice when you get them to play for set/outdraw equity when you don't even have a hand to begin with.

[ QUOTE ]
especially if villain is known aggressive preflop but sensible postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a good mix of flatcall/reraise depending on villian.

BlackRain 10-10-2005 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. With two people calling $20 preflop, I'm thinking there's a high probability one of them has JJ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thoughts as well. Pretty easy laydown.

TheWorstPlayer 10-10-2005 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing AK OOP is never fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't not being excited about taking a flop be an argument for the play he made (big reraise) rather than for a call?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. It's not that I'm 'not excited about taking a flop' it's that I'm not excited about playing postflop. So unless I have a short enough stack that I can re-raise and then push the flop (but this really isn't a great idea because you often get called by any pair) then I don't like bloating the pot preflop because I am then going to be forced to play well out of position in a raised pot.

In a hand yesterday, I re-raised AK out of the blinds against a maniac. I then bet the flop and called a push with ace high. I had the best hand on the flop. If you are not willing to make calls like that, re-raising AK out of position is just a bad idea. Against most people I am not willing to make that call.