Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   "Two For the Money" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352653)

TwoNiner 10-07-2005 04:31 PM

\"Two For the Money\"

Took in the matinee today and boy did this movie blow. Walked out close to the end (I guess). Less than zero content on sports betting. Matthew McConaughey picks games staring at the morning paper lines for most of the movie. The good news is that this movie is no Rounders and nobody is going to give up poker for sportsbetting.

Indiana 10-07-2005 06:32 PM

Re: \"Two For the Money\"

dam i was really hopin it would be good. i'd bet a poker movie will come out soon.

indy

stickman 10-07-2005 09:35 PM

Rounders wasnt so great either.

sammysusar 10-08-2005 01:29 AM

Heard an interview with McCaugghney on the Rome show. He said there are pick lines where they take a percentage of your winnings. Dont think this is true, how would they ever know how much you bet. Anyway he sounded like a moron and the movie sounded pretty dumb.

ThaHero 10-08-2005 02:31 AM

Well I see it for free so I think I'll check it out anyway. The only movie I've seen that wasn't worth seeing for free was Honey...Oh and Glitter.

Also, I actually liked Rounders.

10-08-2005 02:44 AM

True; what was so bad about Rounders? It wasn't a perfect reflection of the scene, to be sure, and it exaggerated, but I loved the poker content, and pretty much everything else.

lastsamurai 10-08-2005 03:35 AM

Movie was -EV.

TwoNiner 10-08-2005 03:53 AM

Yeah, the whole basis for the movie was supposed to be about touts and they didn't understand how they function, at least to my knowledge, maybe I'm missing how some work.

They would call Joe Sixpack. Give him a pick and tell him to bet a shitload on it, and if he won... haggle him into giving them 10%... so he could keep getting picks. And so they would talk the guys into betting way out of their league... MM would go 109 out of 112 for the weekend and they would tell the customer to up the bet... blah blah. MM would get his picks by staring at the morning paper for most of the movie.

Rounders wasn't Oscar worthy, but it had quite a bit of depth of the subject of poker for the common audience, this movie didn't.

Page Jacobson 10-08-2005 08:37 AM

Stu Unger?

I thought they were making a movie about Stu Unger. Is that still in the works?

mrbaseball 10-08-2005 09:12 AM

Re: Stu Unger?

High Roller: The Stu Unger Story. It was released on cable about 6-8 months ago. It wasn't so good although not totally awful.

tolga 10-09-2005 01:07 PM

this movie was terrible.

normally i can at least enjoy the esoteric parts of films that appeal to my interests/hobbies, but even sports betting was not enough to get me excited over this steaming pile of...

save your money and go see "a history of violence" instead.

Indiana 10-09-2005 01:51 PM

I watched 30 min of it before my wife dragged me into that Reese Witherspoon chick flick. It wasn't that bad.

Indy

wegs the wegs 10-09-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heard an interview with McCaugghney on the Rome show. He said there are pick lines where they take a percentage of your winnings. Dont think this is true, how would they ever know how much you bet. Anyway he sounded like a moron and the movie sounded pretty dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What do you mean "how would they ever know how much you bet?" Who are they, the bookies? The bookies kinda have to know how much you bet... otherwise the bet is kinda shady isn't it? And for the line picks Matt McC is right from the way you listed it. You bet 100 bucks and lose, its gone. You bet 100 bucks and win, you'll get typically 190 back. Its their rake.

Jibbs 10-09-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
normally i can at least enjoy the esoteric parts of films that appeal to my interests/hobbies, but even sports betting was not enough to get me excited over this steaming pile of...

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a software developer I have come to the conclusion that you should never go to a movie where you have the smallest bit of expertise in the subject matter. It makes you realize how stupid the people in Hollywood really are.

STLantny 10-09-2005 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What do you mean "how would they ever know how much you bet?" Who are they, the bookies? The bookies kinda have to know how much you bet... otherwise the bet is kinda shady isn't it? And for the line picks Matt McC is right from the way you listed it. You bet 100 bucks and lose, its gone. You bet 100 bucks and win, you'll get typically 190 back. Its their rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one of my 50-100$ players, bumps up a bet to 500$, I ask questions, to see if they are chasing and in trouble etc, usually though, they bump the bet, because of touts. I asked one of them one night, when I ran into him in a bar how it works. You call up, get your pick, tell them how much you are going to bet (usually its not a percentage) and they take your credit card info. If the bet wins, they charge your credit card, if the bet loses they dont charge you. This is why most of the touts get scam reps, becasue a lot of times, they just charge a shitload on your CC independent of whether the pick wins.

sublime 10-09-2005 02:51 PM

it got a 17% rating on rottentomatoes. thats gigli range.

ThaHero 10-09-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotten Tomatoes is one of my favorite sites.

sublime 10-09-2005 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotten Tomatoes is one of my favorite sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here

jayheaps 10-09-2005 06:11 PM

basically all of the sports betting scenes are in the trailer

mother_brain 10-09-2005 07:17 PM

I understand now why the last movie i saw in the theatres was Shrek 2

ThaHero 10-09-2005 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand now why the last movie i saw in the theatres was Shrek 2

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, you missed quite a few great "theater" movies.

ThaHero 10-12-2005 08:14 PM

Well I finally saw it. For free. That may skew my thoughts.

It was decent. Pacino was pretty funny actually. Rene Russo....why was she in the movie? Only because she produced it I assume, but I could have done without her.

Also, McConwhatever didn't pick his picks by looking at the paper. Many scenes show him analyzing the picks and going over them, checking on injuries etc. Only twice in the movie did he pick them from the paper.

It does bring to memory many drunken nights where I was up watching games hoping someone didn't score a meaningless touchdown or get beaten in the final seconds. There was some sports info, but it wasn't really the focus. I was also surprised to see Jeremy Piven(Ari Goldstein for Entourage) and thought he was pretty good in the few parts he had.

Is it worth $8? Well ticket prices are closer to $10 or $15 in L.A. But I don't know because I haven't paid for a movie in at least 2 1/2 years. If you are VERY picky, I wouldn't see it. But if you aren't paying/like a lot of movies, it's worth checkin out.

jedinite 10-12-2005 09:28 PM

Bill Simmons (ESPN's "Sports Guy") had a great writeup on the movie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/051012