Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351129)

CardSharpCook 10-05-2005 04:35 PM

I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content)

I didn't think it could be done, but I've finally run into a 300BB downswing. Currently at -325 at the 20/40 limit. 3 days, 8K hands. Losing at a rate of 4.3 per 100. I don't know what is wrong. Some tilt is involved (without a doubt). Some excessively agro play. Some reluctance to fold. Additionally, 5 outers have been destroying me on the river. I've only had 2 other big downswings and both of those were 250. One was my intro to 15/30, the other was when other [censored] in my life was not going well. There is no external cause this time. In fact, the loss isn't even having that great an effect on me, but it frustrates me. You know the feeling, it feels like it is impossible to win a hand. I had a guy go from HU AI on a 8642 board - me with TT he with 76, to him having about $500 of my money. I had another guy HU him in the BB with 76s, me in MP with AJ on a A92r board. He calls down to hit a flush and chk/rz me on a jack river. Also had a guy who flops TPTK when I flop trips - 3way capped every street and he catches runner runner boat (getting to 2pair first). Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table, however, that actually worked out well. Frustrating 3 days. Gonna go play live, see if that changes things.

Jeff W 10-05-2005 04:55 PM

Re: I finally hit 300BB (abs. no content)

[ QUOTE ]
Some tilt is involved (without a doubt). Some excessively agro play. Some reluctance to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a hand I played against you:

Loose, passive player limps in MP and I complete the small blind with Q8s. You raise in the BB. MP calls, I call.

Flop comes K-Q-T rainbow and I have a 3-flush. I check, you bet, MP calls, I call.

Turn is a T. I check, you bet, MP calls, I fold. MP has ~2 BBs left.

River is a 5. You bet, MP raises all-in and you call. You showed A5o and lost to AT.

ggbman 10-05-2005 05:01 PM

They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each day fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe

Justin A 10-05-2005 05:02 PM

Just be happy it only took you 8k hands.

Justin A 10-05-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each day fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.

Dazarath 10-05-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, when I do something this blatantly tilt-induced, I take a break for the rest of the day.. or at least a couple hours.

Nightwish 10-05-2005 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there was one "fcuk it" moment where I hit the bet/raise button on every single table, however, that actually worked out well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure hope you weren't 12-tabling! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously though, you have to take a break. Don't play any poker for a few days. And think about ways to make sure that what you described above never happens again. Because for every moment of tilt that you actually remember, there are going to be another 10 that you don't even know about.

Edit: I should mention that I do sympathize with your downswing. These kind of things are always depressing.

10-05-2005 05:47 PM

Don't let it get you down man. Definetly take a bit of a break, and cool off. These things happen, even to the best of us.

10-05-2005 05:54 PM

I know that feeling, and i experienced it this summer. In all seriousness, I dont think it would hurt at all to take a week away from the game to clear your head. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and it can really be refreshing to come back to a clean slate. If this has made you tilt, I really highly reccomend taking an extended break, because if you're not playing close to your best game at all times, you need to consider why you aren't, and taking a break to re-think things and forget about the last couple of days or weeks can really help. I called it a wall, and call it whatever you want, but I dont think there's much you can do except ride it out. Variance can be a mother.

Good Luck and stay even tempered.

Tex

scott8 10-05-2005 05:54 PM

I personally have found playing live helps a lot.

Only one table, much more relaxed, terrible players, etc.

threepines 10-05-2005 05:55 PM

I wouldn't be too worried if I was you, knowing your game. Just remember who you are - a winning player - and focus on playing your best. In a few weeks you'll be able to brag about dealing with this downswing.

bugstud 10-05-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, he just got back from aruba, I know I am burned out on live play atm...

Klepton 10-05-2005 06:21 PM

if it's any conselation, i always thought you were a fish.

sthief09 10-05-2005 06:50 PM

that's why tournaments are great. everyone puts in $200 for a few lucky guys to take it all then dump it in cash games

DcifrThs 10-05-2005 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each HAND fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

ggbman 10-05-2005 07:02 PM

Do i still get credit for emphasizing that general concept?

CardSharpCook 10-05-2005 09:36 PM

Well, thanks for the support guys. I think I'll put myself in the grinder one more time tonight and then take tomorrow off. As Bugstud said, I just got back from a vacation/tourney in Aruba, so I feel like it would be irresponsible to take MORE time off this week. "dem thoughts are all in your head" right?

Perseus 10-06-2005 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10-06-2005 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive come to be really pissy while playing live. The 3 outers rivering you is far more frustrating when you only get 30 hands an hour.

Justin A 10-06-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They always do involve tilt. I don't know if this will make you feel better, i had a -15k day yesterday between 30-60, 50-100, and 100-200. Thats like 250 BB in my "normal" 30-60 game. Just start each HAND fresh man, they have no bearing on each other. We both know you are a winner in that game, so just keep playing winning poker, the rest works itself out.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, hands do have bearings on each other dude.

I know what you meant though.

daryn 10-06-2005 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's why tournaments are great. everyone puts in $200 for a few lucky guys to take it all then dump it in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement makes me love all that is sthief

bugstud 10-06-2005 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's why tournaments are great. everyone puts in $200 for Bugstud to take it all then dump it in cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

brick 10-06-2005 04:41 AM

I was just thinking about this tonight:
- start each hand fresh
- start each day fresh

CardSharpCook 10-06-2005 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I never understood feeney's anti-tourney theory. Tournies bring new interested people and give random people big poker funds. Cash games is where you have pros regularily taking large amounts of money out of the game. Feeney is a doofus.

mc1023 10-06-2005 04:55 AM

i went through two really horrible -300 BB swings in the 30-60 two months ago. The thing that helped the most was taking some time away from anything poker related to clear your head and get your game back together.

gl!

AJo Go All In 10-06-2005 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate this so much. stop doing it. i want to kill someone.

angst 10-06-2005 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

i love this so much. keep doing it. i want to hug someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

veganmav 10-06-2005 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

i love this so much. keep doing it. i want to hug someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does FYP mean?

angst 10-06-2005 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does FYP mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

tpir90036 10-06-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournies bring new interested people and give random people big poker funds. Cash games is where you have pros regularily taking large amounts of money out of the game. Feeney is a doofus.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the whole point. The money is being removed from the poker economy for good. The top pros aren't giving it back unless you are a craps table. It doesn't matter if your are interested in poker if you are broke.

As for the doofus part. I had something I was going to say but I don't want it to look like I am piling on or trying to be a Feeney groupie. So I will just say good luck and that I hope you get back on track.

-tpir

Lestat 10-06-2005 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is why I think tournaments suck. When a guy gets lucky enough to win 100 big bets in a cash game, he'll be back trying to win more until he eventually loses it all and then some.

When a guy gets lucky enough to win 100 times the buy-in in some tournament, he buys himself a car, fixes up his house, takes a vacation, or does something else that takes this money out of the poker economy for good.

veganmav 10-06-2005 11:51 AM

I know it's been said a million times CardSharp, but you gotta stop yourslef and take a break. Sometimes I go ont tilt and make a dumb play, and later regret those 1 or 2 BBs. 30 dollars here 60 dollars there, it adds up. I don't really know who you are, but I do know that I play with you all the time on the party games, and I really respect your play. Take a break, and go take the fish's money later man.

astroglide 10-06-2005 12:01 PM

when people win 100k or whatever they buy a car, pay off their debt, go on a vacation, etc. it is not standard practice to play shorthanded high-limit poker until it's gone.

CardSharpCook 10-06-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when people win 100k or whatever they buy a car, pay off their debt, go on a vacation, etc. it is not standard practice to play shorthanded high-limit poker until it's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so the argument is that tournies are adding in a new group of money-takers and that that group is normally money-givers. Fine, I'll grant you that. However, many of the players in our games are 3/6 players who hit is big and have decided to give 30/60 a shot for a week or two. These are players that are not normally available to us, but tournies bring them up to our level before they are ready. Also, where are people getting the money to buy into these tournies? Either they are making their money playing poker OR they are players who much prefer playing tournies and would not be spending their poker time elsewhere. Additionally, MTTs are what have created this poker boom. Coverage of the 2003 WSOP brought many new players to our game, exposed poker as a vibrant economy, and legitimized poker as a skill game. Even if you argue that the direct effect of MTTs is bad for us (losers being able to cash out winnings), the indirect benefits are phenomenal.

tpir90036 10-06-2005 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, many of the players in our games are 3/6 players who hit is big and have decided to give 30/60 a shot for a week or two.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about the other X0,000 people per night that lose $X00 in tournaments (I have no idea what these numbers actually are, obviously) that could be bleeding away money in the 5/10, 10/20 and NL100 games? Those games are a very important part of the poker economy for lots of 2+2-ers.

MTTs on TV making poker more popular in general is of course a great thing. But it doesn't really matter what you put in this slot... as long as it fuels the boom.

Saying tournaments are good for poker simply because a handful of people who do well may or may not go get mauled in the 50/100 games is not a very good reason.

CardSharpCook 10-06-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying tournaments are good for poker simply because a handful of people who do well may or may not go get mauled in the 50/100 games is not a very good reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that's why I made a coherent arguement with several reasons why MTTs are good for us/poker.

CardSharpCook 10-31-2005 04:18 PM

My October

So I got back from Aruba and something was wrong. My BB hole hit -484. So, I dropped down from 20/40 to 15/30, fixed what was wrong. I am now back at 20/40 and all is well. Despite having wasted 31 days (breakeven poker), I am both pleased with how I finished the month and think this might have been a good experience for me.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/3749/october8ux.jpg

However, most of those winning hands were at 15/30. The hole is more clearly seen in this image.

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/2...bercash5gp.jpg

baronzeus 10-31-2005 05:04 PM

Re: My October

well done. a 500 BB downswing is enough to make most players puke. way to stick with it and turn it around,

DcifrThs 10-31-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well done. a 500 BB downswing is enough to make most players puke. way to stick with it and turn it around,

[/ QUOTE ]

pudley4 10-31-2005 05:06 PM

nice.

I would have broken something around the 24k hand mark.