Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   44:Monotone:set (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350950)

orange 10-05-2005 11:53 AM

44:Monotone:set

.25/.50 NL home game, 6 handed. Funky structure (everyone bought in for $20, so stacks are pretty short). Game is really loose, with alot of action.

Hero hasn't done much this session, been cold carded. Hero has $25ish and is TAG.

Villan is super loose. He's a calling station, although I have seen him fire $5 into $2 pots with bottom pair- semi-maniacal. He has been like a rollercoaster this game, and he is currently chip leader at table (~$60ish). He likes suited cards and really cannot lay down TP if his life depended on it. He's pretty bad. Villan is in MP.

Hero is on button with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PF- Everyone limps, BB knocks. 6 to the flop.

($3)Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
All check to Villan, who bets $2. Hero calls, EP calls.

($9)Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
EP checks, Villan checks, Hero bets $7, EP folds, Villan calls.

($23)Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villan checks, Hero bets $12

Lately, I have had difficulty playing monotone flops with stronger hands (2 pair, set). I am usually torn between raising the flop or flat calling (hoping to boat up).

I know many(if not all) will advocating raising this flop.

The turn/river bets will enable villan to call with almost any pair- I don't think he has the Ace, and fears it.

People_Mover 10-05-2005 12:04 PM

Re: 44:Monotone:set

Not raising that flop sucks. I pot it and put the rest in on the turn.

nuSFwck 10-05-2005 12:44 PM

yeah i'd raise the flop.

you said he sucks at folding, so why not raise? you hope he has an ace, but maybe he has a large club that paired up on the turn or river.

i think if you 1/2 pot it on the turn and river, he's compelled to call. that is the kind of bet that is just small enough for a non-folder to look you up with a weak Kclubs or something similar.

actually, looking back at the hand, i like how you played it. given your call on the flop, i like your bet on the turn, but i think you could have gotten a little more out of him on the river. you haven't shown much aggression (i.e. you didn't raise flop), so he'll prob look you up if you bet like $15-17ish. i like your line, though.

wdeadwyler 10-05-2005 06:12 PM

Against bad players, Im raising the flop and pot commiting myself on the turn. There is no way I am folding at any point before the 4th club hits. It is a shame you didnt get the money in. You said yourself he cant fold TP, so crush him!

Riposte 10-05-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against bad players, Im raising the flop and pot commiting myself on the turn. There is no way I am folding at any point before the 4th club hits. It is a shame you didnt get the money in. You said yourself he cant fold TP, so crush him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Malachii 10-05-2005 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not raising that flop sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

orange 10-05-2005 06:36 PM

Ok. Thanks for the replies so far. Say I raise to $8 (the flop). The K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the turn. I'm guessing he either has a pair+ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]draw or just a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]draw. Do I push, despite the obvious flush out?

Part of my motives for not raising this flop were the short stacks. I felt if I could boat up, I could bet much more freely against a multi way field. Scared poker? maybe.

nuSFwck 10-05-2005 06:49 PM

if you read him for a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a pair, why would you push if a fourth [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] came out? he doesn't like to fold, he'll probably call with most any club.

if another club fell, i wouldn't get tricky.

DyessMan89 10-05-2005 06:58 PM

Im making a big raise on the flop. Not just a normal sweetner, but a healthy size one. Make it atleast 12 bucks.

Reason being? Hes a loose player, a calling station, and I dont want to see another club come and force me to lay it down or draw. I dont like taking the "high %" play here and playing it slow, I like the "small %" but big payout play and making a large raise. Im getting the rest in on the turn if a non-club falls.

orange 10-05-2005 07:01 PM

Ok, so you like pot-commiting yourself? That means pushing the turn regardless of a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then right? I would have less than a PSB left.

cs3 10-05-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im making a big raise on the flop. Not just a normal sweetner, but a healthy size one. Make it atleast 12 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

im with Dyes.
i might not bet it that hard but i'm definitely overbetting the pot on a monotne flop like that, against the opponnent you described. if everyone folds im ok with it. if he calls youre probably ahead. and if he pushes you have 10 outs to boat up

10-05-2005 07:56 PM

raise the flop. he will call with any big club. other than that it looks like a pretty good play.

wdeadwyler 10-05-2005 08:41 PM

I just noticed how shallow your stacks were. Repot the flop, making it 7 to go. Push any non club turn. You have position here so use it on the turn. If a club comes and you are getting your price to fill, by all means, call, if not fold. If its a non club I am pushing the turn. If the turn boats me I bet 1/3-1/2 pot and get the rest in on the river.

Edit: Because of stack sizes, overbetting this flop is bad. Just pot it and if a non flush card hits the turn, get the rest in, it would be a shame to put in half your stack then half to fold on the flop. I am all for overbetting with deeper stacks, but here its a bad idea.