Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Showalter (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349498)

nyc999 10-03-2005 12:54 PM

Showalter

The guy pulls three of his stars in the third inning, with home-field advantage in the ALDS on the line. Rangers blow a three run lead and lose, giving Angels home-field.

Now I know the Yankees had fate in their own hands, but a manager should put his best team out there with so much at stake.

sam h 10-03-2005 01:00 PM

Re: Showalter

[ QUOTE ]
Now I know the Yankees had fate in their own hands, but a manager should put his best team out there with so much at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he have at stake? If he wants to get some young guys some time for the good of his organization, then why should he care who gets home field in the playoffs?

TheRover 10-03-2005 01:04 PM

If NYY gave a rat's ass why was Wright starting instead of Mussina? Didn't Torre pull his starters after 4 or 5 inn.? Check the lineups for other teams out of it I'm sure you'll see the same thing.

JayLear 10-03-2005 01:16 PM

Showalter or any other team playing for nothing this weekend, didn't owe anybody anything. This is annually what teams are up against when you go into the final weekend with things up for grabs.

Voltron87 10-03-2005 01:32 PM

Uh, if this is so goddamn important the Yankees should start a real pitcher. No Yankee fan can criticize Buck for taking his guys out of the game when the Yankees are putting Wright out there and getting ready for the playoffs.

It's on Mike and The Mad Dog right now and Mike is just flipping out. He is yelling, it's one of the best I've ever seen. Sterling, Waldman, Kay, all the Yankee crew were on air during the game yesterday talking about how the Rangers were "disgraceful", how they "are not playing the game it was meant to be played", really ridiculous stuff. Mike is going off on people, it's awesome and he's totally right.

I do have a bit of a problem with Buck taking his players out, but look: He played his guys the first two games, and only took them out when he had a 4-1 lead. If the game is so important, the Yankees have to play their A game if they want anyone else to play their A game. That's the crux of it.

nyc999 10-03-2005 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If NYY gave a rat's ass why was Wright starting instead of Mussina? Didn't Torre pull his starters after 4 or 5 inn.? Check the lineups for other teams out of it I'm sure you'll see the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to weigh your options - they are assured a playoff spot so use your good starter in Game 1 instead of Game 4. He would have also been working on short rest.

As for pulling the players, Jeter got hurt and I believe they were down by 7 or 8 when everyone else came out.

And Showalter pulled his stars so they could "get a round of applause"...not for the team's benefit.

imported_The Vibesman 10-03-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Showalter pulled his stars so they could "get a round of applause"...not for the team's benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if he pulled them so they could get home in time for "The Simpsons." His team, his choice, he's the manager, and he doesn't owe anybody else a thing.

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if he pulled them so they could get home in time for "The Simpsons." His team, his choice, he's the manager, and he doesn't owe anybody else a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. As a paying customer, I want to see the best players out on the field. I know the game was essentially meaningless to the Rangers, but as for taking out your best players in the 4th inning so they could get applause? Bullshit. If you are going to do that, do it in the 7th,8th or 9th. They are going to have the next 5 months off anyways.

imported_The Vibesman 10-03-2005 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. As a paying customer, I want to see the best players out on the field. I know the game was essentially meaningless to the Rangers, but as for taking out your best players in the 4th inning so they could get applause? Bullshit. If you are going to do that, do it in the 7th,8th or 9th. They are going to have the next 5 months off anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Must have missed your vitriolic complaining about the other 21 teams that played a bunch of scrubs yesterday.

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Must have missed your vitriolic complaining about the other 21 teams that played a bunch of scrubs yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAA @ TEX Attendance: 38,334 (78% full)
BAL @ TB Attendance: 17,450 (39.9% full)

hopefully, you see my point.

imported_The Vibesman 10-03-2005 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LAA @ TEX Attendance: 38,334 (78% full)
BAL @ TB Attendance: 17,450 (39.9% full)

hopefully, you see my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go to the game? I guess, if you went to the game, expecting to see the Rangers play their hardest against the Angels, you might have a complaint, as well as issues with reality. Funny, though, we haven't heard from one Ranger fan yet complaining about this travesty.

Any Ranger fans want to chime in on this one? As the real paying customer, what do you think?

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 02:52 PM

eh, you make me mad. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

if this game was played 2 months earlier, would you have the same argument? both are regular season, division games...

mmbt0ne 10-03-2005 02:58 PM

My favorite part:

"There's a code of honor when so much is on the line," Rodriguez told the New York Daily News. "You hope people do the right thing. But you can't control what people do."

Coming from the guy who was sitting in the dugout after the 5th inning. LOL. I guess the honor is only valid when a team other than your own gives up right A-Rod? MVP baby!

Meanwhile, somehow Cashman sees this for what it really is:

"If we had won one more game, we wouldn't have to be worried about what anybody else did," Cashman told The Times.

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"If we had won one more game against the [censored] devil rays , we wouldn't have to be worried about what anybody else did," Cashman told The Times.

[/ QUOTE ]

imported_The Vibesman 10-03-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if this game was played 2 months earlier, would you have the same argument? both are regular season, division games...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think August 1st would have been a bit early for the Rangers to throw in the towel. But do we get upset when Kansas City or Tampa Bay plays some young guys in June to see where they're at?

I know I'm making you mad...getting you back for the pics in the Manny thread. Funny, my ass... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think August 1st would have been a bit early for the Rangers to throw in the towel. But do we get upset when Kansas City or Tampa Bay plays some young guys in June to see where they're at?

I know I'm making you mad...getting you back for the pics in the Manny thread. Funny, my ass... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, but dood, he tripped on grass !

SocialWelfareIV 10-03-2005 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"There's a code of honor when so much is on the line," Rodriguez told the New York Daily News. "You hope people do the right thing. But you can't control what people do."

Coming from the guy who was sitting in the dugout after the 5th inning. LOL. I guess the honor is only valid when a team other than your own gives up right A-Rod? MVP baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

A True Yankee would never complain about the lineups other teams are playing.

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A True Yankee would never complain about the lineups other teams are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, maybe Alex ragging on Texas to get them back for ragging on him after he was traded? Maybe Showalter fixed the game on purpose after he was forced out of NY? Maybe Juan Rivera hit that 3 run homer to show is middle finger to Cashman? Conspiracies, anyone?

mmbt0ne 10-03-2005 03:28 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Hmmm, maybe Alex ragging on Texas to get them back for ragging on him after he was traded? Maybe Showalter fixed the game on purpose after he was forced out of NY? Maybe Juan Rivera hit that 3 run homer to show is middle finger to Cashman? Conspiracies, anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more than willing to except that Buck lobbed one up to the Angels to get back at George.

HajiShirazu 10-03-2005 05:18 PM

I think paying customers deserved to see the best yankee players on the field as well, which didn't happen since they didn't even start the guy who was supposed to pitch, saving him for the playoff game. How can they possibly complain about the other teams when they did the same thing?

pokerdirty 10-03-2005 05:32 PM

yeah putting out a guy who is making more in a year than you'll make in a life time is definately a downgrade...

mussina is still a question mark in my mind anyways, and i'm still questioning why torre took out wright in the 3rd inning when he had only given up 2 runs, and put a guy on first. obviously he didn't have his best stuff, but this was suspect in my book.

jeter left because of injury? and as for arod, i don't know why he came out. was it after the game was already out of reach?

SammyKid11 10-03-2005 06:13 PM

Leave it to classless Yankee fans to have ridiculous expectations that the Texas Rangers owe "them" their best effort, when they themselves (Yankees) aren't willing to give THEIR best effort.

It's up to the Rangers to make sure you get home-field advantage? I live in Dallas, and do root for the Rangers, and I can say this with full confidence. If you're depending on the Rangers for ANYTHING, you've already lost. Buck's decision to pull his starters was no more a vendetta against the Rangers than...
The Mets scrubbing Pedro's last start against the Phillies was a vendetta against the Astros...OR...
The Cardinals scrubbing '04 starters against the Astros was a vendetta against the Cubs or Giants

Bottom line, teams have an obligation to do what's in THEIR best interests. As far as Buck was concerned, the Rangers were done, he wanted to minimize injury risk and get his guys a nice round, and get a bit more playing time for some younger guys. There is nothing wrong with that, you arrogant, ignorant, the-world-owes-us entitlement up your ass Yankee pieces of crap. Your payroll is higher than anyone else's in baseball, by far. Win your own damn games.

Voltron87 10-03-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with that, you arrogant, ignorant, the-world-owes-us entitlement up your ass Yankee pieces of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

yawn.

Voltron87 10-03-2005 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with that, you arrogant, ignorant, the-world-owes-us entitlement up your ass Yankee pieces of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

yawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, you do realize that there are plenty of yankee fans who are reasonable about this incident and in general? there are even posts in this very thread which support that.

SammyKid11 10-03-2005 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, you do realize that there are plenty of yankee fans who are reasonable about this incident and in general? there are even posts in this very thread which support that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do. I was only speaking to the Yankee fans making a stink about this..."the arrogant, ignorant..." ones. Yank fans that (rightfully) realize, as Brian Cashman said, that their destiny was in their OWN hands, and do not seek to blame the manager of the long-since eliminated Texas Rangers for having to travel to LA (err, Anaheim), are Yank fans that I have no problem with.

Sorry if my comments to a specific group of Yankee fans made it sound like I was calling ALL Yankee fans that. I certainly wasn't.

cdxx 10-03-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

resting mussina and having a better chance to win game 1 essentially gives you home field advantage. plus joe needed to know whether to have wright onthe post-season roster. now he can leave him off.

Voltron87 10-04-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

resting mussina and having a better chance to win game 1 essentially gives you home field advantage. plus joe needed to know whether to have wright onthe post-season roster. now he can leave him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think was Joe did was perfectly reasonable and the right decision, but it just means that the Yankees are in absolutely no place to complain when a team that is out of it takes their big expensive guns out halfway through the last game of the season.

cdxx 10-04-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but it just means that the Yankees are in absolutely no place to complain when a team that is out of it takes their big expensive guns out halfway through the last game of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with that too. it sucks that the rangers blew the game, but the yankees should have no qualms about it. most of their comments pretty much confirmed that. it's all blown up way out of proportion.

kyro 10-04-2005 12:19 PM

I like how we seem to be conveniently ignoring Chicago putting out a Little League squad (with a solid pitcher) in the first game of the last series while Cleveland was still battling for a spot in the playoffs, never mind HF advantage.

JayLear 10-04-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If we had won one more game, we wouldn't have to be worried about what anybody else did," Cashman told The Times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice to see a little accountability...

JayLear 10-04-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how we seem to be conveniently ignoring Chicago putting out a Little League squad (with a solid pitcher) in the first game of the last series while Cleveland was still battling for a spot in the playoffs, never mind HF advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easy to ignore since they won the game anyway.

wrongarm300 10-04-2005 12:53 PM

Didnt the White Sox start all of their reserves in the first game against the Indians this past weekend, even though Cleveland was still in the race for the Wildcard, yet the Sox still won? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Rangers had won that game with their bench players, would we be having this conversation?

wrongarm300 10-04-2005 12:55 PM

Guess I could've read these posts before I decided to add my two cents, oops!