Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I Hate This River (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=348913)

mscags 10-02-2005 05:19 PM

I Hate This River

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

River: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 [b]auto raises</font>, Hero Pukes and.....

W. Deranged 10-02-2005 05:20 PM

Re: I Hate This River

Ummm... Makes a read???

Posting this without a read is ludicrous.

daryn 10-02-2005 05:28 PM

folds

The Truth 10-02-2005 05:30 PM

pays off like a broken slot machine?

I just wanted to say that. I fold, you cant even beat top pair, and villain expects you to call.

-blake

mscags 10-02-2005 05:33 PM

I was new to the table and haven't played with this man before.

Jeffage 10-02-2005 05:34 PM

Would anyone check this river? UTG is taking lots of heat which could easily have been a flush draw (considering his flop raise also). I think if you check a bet may go in if you're ahead and you save getting raised if behind. If I bet, I fold to the raise. A king beats you also!

Jeff

W. Deranged 10-02-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was new to the table and haven't played with this man before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown I can't think calling here is going to be positive EV. I agree with the others that folding is probably good.

mscags 10-02-2005 05:36 PM

Results

I ended up folding but was not happy about it

DeeJ 10-02-2005 06:10 PM

I think if a case can be made for check-calling the river, this is it. The K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] makes the straight, the overpair, the flush... it's the worst card for you. Bet/fold is probably no worse than check-call here, but check-call gets to see his hand. Sure looks like he's on a flush draw.

bambi 10-02-2005 07:58 PM

I vote check/call as well, every single draw just came in,

whodaman 10-03-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I vote check/call as well, every single draw just came in,

[/ QUOTE ]

flawless_victory 10-03-2005 02:14 AM

all the draws? i see one draw.
everyone who wants to checkcall the river, please attempt to explain why you would play this way.
i think checkcalling there is a pretty bad play.

i do agree with those that said you should fold to the autoraise.

peachy 10-03-2005 04:26 AM

if u arent willing to pay off that raise check/call cause not only did an over come but so did the flush...

want a puke bag? i keep a few handy for when i play and when i go out to eat [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

PoBoy321 10-03-2005 04:40 AM

I'm just curious as to what you expect villain's pre-flop range to be. As far as I can tell the only hand which villain could have here is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Perhaps A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Kx, but I don't see him calling after the blank turn. I think that a read is very important here, but I just don't see a very wide range of hands that caps pre-flop, raises the flop and is helped by that K.

vmacosta 10-03-2005 06:08 AM

This is interesting. It appears that either I'm blind or multiple posters have misread the situation. PF, UTG+1 limped, called a 3-bet, and then called a cap--sounds like a calling station. The flop came 2 spades, and all of a sudden he woke up and raised--sounds like a flush draw (or wheel draw if he's a total fish...there's some tiny chance of this being a set but players like this almost ALWAYS wait until the turn to raise with their set). Then he passively calls a flop 3-bet. The turn blanks and so he just calls. The river makes his obvious flush and, hooray, he was bet into so he can make the obvious raise and take down the pot! I think you should check the river and calling/folding is close.

imashyboi 10-03-2005 07:58 AM

This is the perfect way to check/call. This play is probably the most optimal play. With two other players to see the river, you have to double check your QQ and may consider they might not be good when the Ks came out. Flush is one draw you definitely have to consider.