Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   "Did you address that to donkey?" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=348136)

miami32 10-01-2005 07:44 AM

\"Did you address that to donkey?\"

It was only a matter of time before someone posted this. Glad I'm first!

Barry Greenstein raises to $60,000 from very early position and Devin Porter reraises $200,000 more. Greenstein immediately moves all in, and Porter calls. Greenstein shows A-K, and Porter shows A-J. Greenstein has Porter in bad shape as we head to the flop. The flop comes Jh-6c-4h and the tables have turned, now Greenstein needs a king to stay alive. The turn brings the 4s, and the river the 3c, and Greenstein is eliminated on a bad beat. Barry Greenstein earns $30,000 (which will undoubtedly be given to charity) for his efforts.

Barry Greenstein keeps a copy of his book, "Ace on the River," with him during tournaments lately. Whenever he is eliminated, he signs that copy for the player that busted him, with a brief description of the final hand. (If he wins a tournament, he signs the book for the runner-up.)

As Greenstein hands this book to Devin Porter, someone in the crowd shouts, "Did you address that to donkey?"

sammysusar 10-01-2005 09:38 AM

Re: \"Did you address that to donkey?\"

it sounds like greenstein had something like 400K to 500K. from what people have said greenstein is a very aggressive player. so if you decided initally to reraise to 200K you are probably getting 2 - 1 to call the rest. does not seem like ridiculous play at all.

KaneKungFu123 10-01-2005 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As Greenstein hands this book to Devin Porter, a retard in the crowd shouts, "Did you address that to donkey?"

[/ QUOTE ]

judgesmails 10-01-2005 11:12 AM

Seems a bit presumptuous to carry your own book around so you can sign it and give it to someone if/when you get knocked out.

hoopsie44 10-01-2005 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems a bit presumptuous to carry your own book around so you can sign it and give it to someone if/when you get knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that seems like something Hellmuth would do.

two0crew 10-01-2005 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that seems like something T. Owens would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

TransientR 10-01-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a problem with it. It is a nice looking book, even if too short on strategy for some people. Now Hellmuth's book, poorly printed on super cheap paper....

Frank

lighterjobs 10-01-2005 12:48 PM

this reminds me of when paul phillips used to bust out of tournaments and he would give the guy who busted him a chip that said "you put a bad beat on paul phillips."

ismisus 10-01-2005 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that seems like something Todd Arnold would do.

TomHimself 10-01-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As Greenstein hands this book to Devin Porter, Todd Arnold in the crowd shouts, "Did you address that to donkey?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]FYP

benkahuna 10-01-2005 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. And in my case and the case of most people, he'd presume right.

Comment from peanut gallery is funny and I think it's not a clear call and raise esp was bad given it's no limit and you have a likely dominated hand.

I'd love to have the Paul Phillips chip. That'd be fun. I can see why that might piss some people off and make them think he's an arrogant prick.

10-02-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But to be the same, T.O. would have to sign the ball for the guy who ran back his fumble for a TD.

ace_in_the_hole 10-02-2005 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But to be the same, T.O. would have to sign the ball for the guy who ran back his fumble for a TD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad analogy.

Field goal is blocked, defense recovers then fumbles back to the kicking team, who run it into the endzone for a touchdown, last minute, and the field just ties the game). Then the guy who blocked the kick signs the ball and gives it to the guy who made the touchdown. I'm bored, drunk, and have been watching lots of football. Sorry.

Justin A 10-02-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As Greenstein hands this book to Devin Porter, a retard in the crowd shouts, "Did you address that to donkey?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, seems pretty clever to me.

lozen 10-02-2005 11:29 PM

Autographs a peice of crap as the book not worth buying. One of the worst i have read lately. Great guy Garbage book.

Though some great Photographs.

10-02-2005 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analogy. nh sir.

Although, if I were to really overthink this, it would go:

Field goal is blocked, defense recovers then fumbles back to the kicking team, who run it into the endzone for a touchdown, last minute, and the field just ties the game). Then the guy who blocked the kick signs the ball and gives it to the guy who made the touchdown. I'm bored, drunk, and have been watching lots of football. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BarronVangorToth 10-03-2005 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he can assume that in most events that he will be eliminated at some point...?

(And they even list a Plan B for when he wins: it goes to the 2nd place guy.)

Where is he ever NOT using his book..?

It seems like a cool thing to do. An example of an uncool thing to do would be if I carried a stack of the Raw Deal card "I'm Better Than You" or "You're Not in My League" and gave one of those to each person I eliminated from a tournament.

On second thought, that could be kind of pimpin'...

not.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

benkahuna 10-03-2005 07:55 AM

I think OP meant it was presumptuous in thinking that someone would want an autographed copy of his book. Obviously he either wins or gets eliminated and much more likely the latter.

miami32 10-03-2005 08:05 AM

No, I just thought it was really really funny.

benkahuna 10-03-2005 09:12 AM

Whoops, meant judgesmails, not you.

You obviously just thought it was funny...

BarronVangorToth 10-03-2005 09:44 AM

I know who you meant ... but I can't believe that anyone really believes that anyone would be bothered to get a free copy of one of the best non-2+2 books on the market signed by one of the more famous faces of poker.

Nonsensical.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Getting a stack of "I'm Better Than You" and "You're Not In My League" together for his next event -- calm down, calm down, it will be at a buddy's house so it will be taken in good spirits

jetsg4 10-03-2005 09:48 AM

although some people might not want the book, having it autographed from the author, Plus the story of how you got it makes it cool IMO. I haven't read the book, but it looks more like a nice coffee table book than a poker player must have.

lozen 10-03-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although some people might not want the book, having it autographed from the author, Plus the story of how you got it makes it cool IMO. I haven't read the book, but it looks more like a nice coffee table book than a poker player must have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Put

judgesmails 10-03-2005 03:27 PM

Some may be bothered by it.

The gesture could be interpreted as somewhat condescending toward his opponent. Not all poker players are "poker fans", nor do all people seek out autographs or contact with psuedo-celebrities.

But you are probably right, most people like getting the book. That does not mean the gesture is not a bit presumptuous.

Temp Hutter 10-03-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The gesture could be interpreted as somewhat condescending toward his opponent. Not all poker players are "poker fans", nor do all people seek out autographs or contact with psuedo-celebrities.

But you are probably right, most people like getting the book. That does not mean the gesture is not a bit presumptuous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the distinction between who would be bothered by it and who would like to have the autographed book is similar to a professional football player signing an autograph for a fan in the stands after the game versus signing an autograph for a player on the other team while shaking hands after the game (in a losing effort).

Autocratic 10-03-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the distinction between who would be bothered by it and who would like to have the autographed book is similar to a professional football player signing an autograph for a fan in the stands after the game versus signing an autograph for a player on the other team while shaking hands after the game (in a losing effort).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let's be fair - any random poker fan can make it to play against Barry, but if you're playing in the NFL or something, you're good enough that another player proclaiming that his autograph would be valuable to you is a little more insulting.

BarronVangorToth 10-03-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the other team consists of people that paid $10,000 to play in that event, then you are correct, as much of the WSOP and these larger events amounts to Football Fantasy Camp. Yes, anyone can compete against the Phil Ivey's of the world on par closer than, say, Random Guy against Tiger Woods -- but there is still a huge distinction between a vast majority of poker players (even those that play in the large events) and those that are A-List poker players like Barry is.

I can plunk down my money and play in every event that Barry does, and I can very easily seeing myself in a position to be able to knock him out - or anyone out - of said event, but it doesn't mean that I consider myself on par with him ... nor would I be bothered if he gave me an autographed book.

Thinking this is anything other than a very cool gesture is ludicrous, especially when a number of the top players are prone to hysterical exits crying about bad beats. Here we have someone doing something gentlemanly and some are looking for ulterior motives.

Amazing.

Perhaps some would prefer Barry, upon being eliminated from a tournament, writing up an article about why his opponent is an idiot and then having CardPlayer publish it.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Temp Hutter 10-03-2005 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the other team consists of people that paid $10,000 to play in that event, then you are correct, as much of the WSOP and these larger events amounts to Football Fantasy Camp. Yes, anyone can compete against the Phil Ivey's of the world on par closer than, say, Random Guy against Tiger Woods -- but there is still a huge distinction between a vast majority of poker players (even those that play in the large events) and those that are A-List poker players like Barry is.

I can plunk down my money and play in every event that Barry does, and I can very easily seeing myself in a position to be able to knock him out - or anyone out - of said event, but it doesn't mean that I consider myself on par with him ... nor would I be bothered if he gave me an autographed book.

Thinking this is anything other than a very cool gesture is ludicrous, especially when a number of the top players are prone to hysterical exits crying about bad beats. Here we have someone doing something gentlemanly and some are looking for ulterior motives.

Amazing.

Perhaps some would prefer Barry, upon being eliminated from a tournament, writing up an article about why his opponent is an idiot and then having CardPlayer publish it.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever end up at the same table as Barry in a big tournament, you are going to get killed. Not because he is that much better than you, but because you will have such a hard time seeing your cards because your head will be too far up his butt.

Sorry - that was harsh. Don't worship him - he is just a guy that plays poker very well. If you are awestruck then you will not be able to play a decent game and you will get run over.

You call him giving an autographed book a gentlemanly gesture, but I call it ego.

10-03-2005 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You call him giving an autographed book a gentlemanly gesture, but I call it ego.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is neither. How have we gone this whole thread without anyone pointing out that this is obviously just marketing?

BarronVangorToth 10-03-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you ever end up at the same table as Barry in a big tournament, you are going to get killed. Not because he is that much better than you, but because you will have such a hard time seeing your cards because your head will be too far up his butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Temp, how you could take what I wrote and put your own personal bias on it is beyond me. I personally don't care who I play against (whether it is Barry Greenstein or people who have had their spot on WPT) but I am a realist in that (a) I know Barry is a better player than me but, most importantly, (b) he is far more famous than I am, which was my sole point.

But I'm not on par with him skill wise; you aren't either. Let's get a reality check.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry - that was harsh. Don't worship him - he is just a guy that plays poker very well. If you are awestruck then you will not be able to play a decent game and you will get run over..

[/ QUOTE ]

Temp, I don't care about your personal problems, whatever they may be, but, again, if you took something I wrote as me worshipping Barry or being awe-struck by him, you are clueless. My point was clear and if you don't get it (or it personally offends you) there is no reason for nonsensical personal attacks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I call it jealousy on your part, evidenced by your apparent personal dislike of Barry for whatever reason. There are many poker pro's that are far from exemplary people, perhaps your venom would be best suited for them.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Temp Hutter 10-03-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no reason for nonsensical personal attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out of line to say you have your head up Barry's butt. My apologies.

betgo 10-03-2005 10:33 PM

If Doyle Brunson busts out Barry Greenstein, does Barry give Doyle an autographed copy of his book?

10-04-2005 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief, you're as annoying on the internet as you were on T.V.. Sorry, that was harsh even though i meant every word of it.

SoftcoreRevolt 10-04-2005 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Doyle Brunson busts out Barry Greenstein, does Barry give Doyle an autographed copy of his book?

[/ QUOTE ]

No he distracts the dealer while his son hits Doyle with a steel chair, Barry then piledrives Doyle onto the table, spits on him and walks out to the tune of Ministry's Jesus Built My Hot Rod.

judgesmails 10-04-2005 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but there is still a huge distinction between a vast majority of poker players (even those that play in the large events) and those that are A-List poker players like Barry is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't quantify this distinction you speak of. How much is it , on average, for the poor sucker that busts Barry G from a $5K+ buy-in tourney?

[ QUOTE ]
nor would I be bothered if he gave me an autographed book.

Thinking this is anything other than a very cool gesture is ludicrous, especially when a number of the top players are prone to hysterical exits crying about bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Jen Harman, Johnny Chan, Doyle Brunson, or other such players would welcome an autographed copy of Barry's book in such circumstances? Do you think he would have the nerve to offer it up to them?

Now please reconsider your position in light of your answer(s).

BarronVangorToth 10-04-2005 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't quantify this distinction you speak of. How much is it , on average, for the poor sucker that busts Barry G from a $5K+ buy-in tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a nonsensical question.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think Jen Harman, Johnny Chan, Doyle Brunson, or other such players would welcome an autographed copy of Barry's book in such circumstances? Do you think he would have the nerve to offer it up to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think they would; if they didn't, that's on them.

Yes I think he would; especially if this became a well-publicized aspect of any tourney he was in.

[ QUOTE ]

Now please reconsider your position in light of your answer(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

I did examine my viewpoint again; sure enough, I'm still correct.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

betgo 10-04-2005 08:16 AM

I would be offended to be given the autographed copy and definately to be given a chip that says I gave a bad beat to Paul Phillips. What do you mean a bad beat? I got the money in a 3-2 favorite.

I would think a lot of the unknown players who bust out big names at major tournaments are pros. Some may not want to be pros and have successful business and professional careers and can afford to play in these tournaments even if it is slightly EV-.

I am sure there are a lot of fantasy camp types who get a big thrill out of busting out name players. Maybe they would like getting the book in those circumstances.

judgesmails 10-04-2005 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a nonsensical question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a statement and are asked for details/clarification of your statement and then you declare the question is nonsensical?

Really?

Is my question nonsensiscal or is your original statement nonsensical? (Obviously a rhetorical question, but for a different reason to me than to you).

You may be right about Harman, Chan, Brunson, etc welcoming Barry's "gesture" and if he would have to nerve to offer it up to them. I doubt it though and would handicap it to be +120 in Fest al Lago that he does it to any known, previously televised "pro".

BarronVangorToth 10-04-2005 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You may be right about Harman, Chan, Brunson, etc welcoming Barry's "gesture" and if he would have to nerve to offer it up to them. I doubt it though and would handicap it to be +120 in Fest al Lago that he does it to any known, previously televised "pro".

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you have made a logical conclusion, making up for your aforementioned nonsensical question: I concur that it would be more likely that he'd give the book to Doyle AND that Doyle would accept it graciously than for him to give the book to some B- C- D-list player that had previous TV time, especially since that player, as we have seen from this thread, may take it as offensive thinking he is on Barry's level so why would he have the audacity.

Pride and denial are quite good friends.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

betgo 10-04-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here you have made a logical conclusion, making up for your aforementioned nonsensical question: I concur that it would be more likely that he'd give the book to Doyle AND that Doyle would accept it graciously than for him to give the book to some B- C- D-list player that had previous TV time, especially since that player, as we have seen from this thread, may take it as offensive thinking he is on Barry's level so why would he have the audacity.

Pride and denial are quite good friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of unknown players with no TV time in major tournaments are pros. They just sit in a cardroom all evening grinding it out at 20/40 holdem or 5/10 NL, or multitable $50 SNGs on Party.

So this ordinary pro plays in some supersatellites and wins a seat in a major tournament. While he probably knows he is not on Barry Greenstein's level, I am not sure he would appreciate the jesture of the autographed book for busting Barry out. He might take it as condescension and rubbing it in that he is not on Barry's level and doesn't have a mansion in Henderson, NV.