Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AA Runs Into Four Flush (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347864)

ninjaunderwear 09-30-2005 07:16 PM

AA Runs Into Four Flush

No read here, but I don't think a read would help any in this situation.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>.

When SB wakes up on the turn four-flush, I quickly called behind. Folding is out of the question. [In hindsight, a raise has some merit.]

If SB caught a flush, he doesn't seem too confident about it on the river. If I bet, any hands that can call me have me beat. However, there is a chance I can fold a 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

In such a small pot, is there any value in betting here? Or should I just take the free showdown? Is it even close?

benkath1 09-30-2005 07:20 PM

Re: AA Runs Into Four Flush

I take the free showdown, and hate myself for doing it.

hemstock 09-30-2005 07:22 PM

Just check behind.
He will call you only if he beats you.
And getting check-raised would feel really really bad.

SoftcoreRevolt 10-01-2005 02:21 AM

Yeah, just check the river here. You are probably ahead here, but he's not paying you off.

10-01-2005 03:25 AM

Id say he is ahead with a midrange diamond. But from your actions he is scared you have a better one so isnt willing to put more than one bet in on the river.

Check and expect to lose.

10-01-2005 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the free showdown, and hate myself for doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do the same and curse myself for being weak tight.

ninjaunderwear 10-01-2005 10:32 AM

Could a river bet possibly scare off a small diamond? I don't think we fear a check-raise here.

On the turn, if I'm behind, I have outs, so a call seems most appropriate. But what do you make of a raise on the turn? Aggression here offers the same potential of folding a small diamond, and it could earn us a "free" showdown. (SB wouldn't usually lead here and then check the turn so ignore the river when analyzing the turn)

Lunar Tweak 10-01-2005 10:50 AM

yes, your logic for raising the turn is on point and the best line for this situation.

Redd 10-01-2005 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, your logic for raising the turn is on point and the best line for this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

A turn raise is no good here because we're going to be 3-bet over 50% of the time and charge ourselves an extra 2BB to draw. And we're very rarely folding a small [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] here.

And IMO the river is an easy check behind. This is a small [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a stupid check-raise much more often than a bluff. And if villain is bluffing and has no diamond, he's rarely going to pay you off.

AussieBattler 10-01-2005 12:06 PM

grunch

I play the same and hope to boat up at the river.

check behind and expect to see a medium (crappy)diamond

without reads I just call this turn and I check this river. a check raise would be nasty and for meta game purposes I really wanna see what he bet with on the turn....

ninjaunderwear 10-01-2005 03:19 PM

Let's say SB is holding something like T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (or any reasonable defending hand without a diamond). MP1 raises and he decides to defend. Flop comes with three diamonds and he check/calls.

When a fourth diamond (a king) comes on the turn, SB has an automatic bet situation. If he is behind, he is likely drawing dead. If he checks, MP1 will automtically bet and SB will have to fold.

This is a perfect opportunity for SB to donk and represent a diamond. There is a possibility that MP1 will fold and SB takes down the pot. If MP1 calls the bet, SB can check/fold or check/showdown on the river. If MP1 raises, SB can easily fold.

It may look to MP1 that SB hit his flush draw after check/calling on a three-flush board and then leading when the four-flush hits on the turn.

But, if we dive a little deeper into the world of SB, it would look more like a flush if SB check/raised the turn. I suppose a read here would actually be more helpful than I initially suspected.

10-01-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could a river bet possibly scare off a small diamond?

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost never, and it usually shouldn't (he only has to beat you one time out of six to make the call profitable).

90% of the time he'll only fold if you can beat him, which makes a bet kind of useless either way.