Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Progress In Iraq (scared to click aren't ya?) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347814)

Matty 09-30-2005 05:29 PM

Progress In Iraq (scared to click aren\'t ya?)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/world/3376177

[ QUOTE ]
The number of the Iraqi army's 86 battalions that can fight insurgents without U.S. and coalition help has dropped from three to one, top U.S. generals told Congress on Thursday. They also said the security situation in Iraq is too uncertain to predict large-scale American troop withdrawals anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Malachii 09-30-2005 05:40 PM

Re: Progress In Iraq (scared to click aren\'t ya?)

This is such a mess. Let's all remember to thank Georgie for sending all those soldiers to die or become horribly maimed because Sadaam tried to kill his daddy.

bobman0330 09-30-2005 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The number of the Iraqi army's 86 battalions that can fight insurgents without U.S. and coalition help has dropped from three to one, top U.S. generals told Congress on Thursday. They also said the security situation in Iraq is too uncertain to predict large-scale American troop withdrawals anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm repelled by how happy this makes you.

Felix_Nietsche 09-30-2005 06:09 PM

This Just Proves the Left is Unpatriotic.........

If bad news is reported about the USA misson in Iraq, they are happy.

09-30-2005 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...Sadaam tried to kill his daddy...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadaam tried to kill his daddy? I thought he only killed Kurds, Shiites, Iranians and the occasional son-in-law. What'd his daddy do? Jeeze, that's just terrible. Tried to kill his daddy.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Stu Pidasso 09-30-2005 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is sad isn't it.

Stu

Roybert 09-30-2005 06:52 PM

I'm repelled that you keep on supporting the deaths of US troops in this bullshit war based on lies and greed.

bobman0330 09-30-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm repelled that you keep on supporting the deaths of US troops in this bullshit war based on lies and greed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you really turned that one around on me. Well played, sir.

PITTM 09-30-2005 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont understand. this makes him happy because it proves that our governments horribly flawed plan isnt working. maybe as a result we can try something new and not have soldiers continue to get killed. you're the one who supports the war and therefore all of the troop deaths and nonprogress we are making. the classic squabble nowadays is as follows: conservatives keep mindlessly supporting the war, more people die as a result, liberals want us to stop, conservatives call us unpatriotic, idiots, etc..., we point out how horribly it is going, conservatives are "disgusted we are happy with that". keep in mind, it is the conservatives who are happy with it, you guys are the ones who continue to yell your support for the war in any way you can.

rj

bobman0330 09-30-2005 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you dont understand. this makes him happy because it proves that our governments horribly flawed plan isnt working. maybe as a result we can try something new and not have soldiers continue to get killed. you're the one who supports the war and therefore all of the troop deaths and nonprogress we are making. the classic squabble nowadays is as follows: conservatives keep mindlessly supporting the war, more people die as a result, liberals want us to stop, conservatives call us unpatriotic, idiots, etc..., we point out how horribly it is going, conservatives are "disgusted we are happy with that". keep in mind, it is the conservatives who are happy with it, you guys are the ones who continue to yell your support for the war in any way you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the title of his post? Just because some people think in the way you describe does not mean that Mr. Grey is one of them.

Roybert 09-30-2005 07:02 PM

From "This Week with George Stephanopoulis" JANUARY 25 , 2005 (interview w/ J. Negroponte)

QUESTION: Mr. Ambassador, I want to get to the election and what is going to spring from that in a moment, but during the Condoleezza Rice’s confirmation hearings this week, there was a discussion about Iraqi -- the Iraqi military, the state of their readiness, particularly because the Iraqi military will play the lead role in protection at the polling places next Sunday. Now, she and Senator Joe Biden of Delaware disagreed sharply about how many Iraqi troops have been adequately trained. Let’s watch that exchange, if we can:

Dr. Rice: “We think the number right now is somewhere over 120,000.”

Close, Condi. Real close.

PITTM 09-30-2005 07:17 PM

it seemed to me like the title of his post was just satirical of the billion times we;ve heard from the president how much "progress" we;ve been making. have we really made like ANY progress? it seems to me like we have taken many many steps backwards since we arrived.

rj

Matty 09-30-2005 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It doesn't make me happy at all. My brothers are over there. It makes me [censored] disgusted. Disgusted at this administration, and disgusted at you right-wingers without whose blind support we wouldn't have gotten into this cluster-[censored].

[censored] you for saying it makes me happy.

I've served. I've put my ass on the line for this country. That's what this country needs. You have no reason to question my loyalty you piece of [censored].

What have you done besides get mad at people who threaten your beliefs and pretend that it's patriotism?

Roybert 09-30-2005 07:37 PM

Yes, Saddam tried to kill G-Dub's father. As they say, you can look it up.

09-30-2005 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Saddam tried to kill G-Dub's father. As they say, you can look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went right over your head, did it?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PITTM 09-30-2005 07:51 PM

grey, youre the man.

rj

bobman0330 09-30-2005 08:40 PM

That grip on civility is pretty tenuous, huh?

I never questioned your loyalty. I questioned the glib tone of your post. Bully for you for serving in the military, but you'll need to drop some of the smug superiority and rhetoric before you'll actually be what this country needs.

09-30-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...it seemed to me like the title of his post was just satirical of the billion times we;ve heard from the president how much "progress" we;ve been making.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you accuse GWB of exaggerating?

09-30-2005 09:22 PM

It sounds like it's about time for Bush to give out another Medal Of Honor. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Matty 09-30-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That grip on civility is pretty tenuous, huh?

I never questioned your loyalty. I questioned the glib tone of your post. Bully for you for serving in the military, but you'll need to drop some of the smug superiority and rhetoric before you'll actually be what this country needs.

[/ QUOTE ]Accusing me of being happy when our country fails is definitely questioning my loyalty.

Since you know what this country needs, tell me. And tell me how you've provided it.

Does it need more people to shut up? Does it need less public debate? Does it need information to be more controlled? Maybe a book-burning would help?

If you're going to accuse me of not being what this country needs, you have to also tell me what I'm doing wrong.

10-01-2005 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you supported the war at the beginning of not, do you think the proper course of action is to withdraw immediately?

10-01-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...Whether you supported the war at the beginning of not, do you think the proper course of action is to withdraw immediately?

[/ QUOTE ]

New thread suggestion?

10-01-2005 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
New thread suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ]

A thread like that hasn't been made already? I would have thought that question would have been asked by now.

whiskeytown 10-01-2005 12:15 AM

first time I ever saw progress walk backwards into a wall.

RB

Matty 10-01-2005 12:57 AM

So where are you at dawg? Back your [censored] up.

It can't be that hard to make up some logic to put behind those Bill O'Reilly one-liners can it?

bobman0330 10-01-2005 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to accuse me of not being what this country needs, you have to also tell me what I'm doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Bully for you for serving in the military, but you'll need to drop some of the smug superiority and rhetoric before you'll actually be what this country needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually read my post??

Matty 10-01-2005 01:14 AM

1) Show me how I'm smug.

2) Show me how I think I'm superior.

3) Describe how these qualites make me not good for my country.

I brought up my military service because you accused me of disloyalty to my country.

What have you done for your country man? Why do you keep avoiding that?

10-01-2005 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
New thread suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ]

A thread like that hasn't been made already? I would have thought that question would have been asked by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't serious. Try this search in the Politics section:
"iraq war" withdrawal

bobman0330 10-01-2005 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Show me how I'm smug.

2) Show me how I think I'm superior

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It can't be that hard to make up some logic to put behind those Bill O'Reilly one-liners can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
3) Describe how these qualites make me not good for my country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I have to explain how the type of person "this country really needs" would try to fully comprehend and engage the arguments of those who disagree with them rather than just dismissing them as "Bill O'Reilly one-liners"?

[ QUOTE ]
What have you done for your country man? Why do you keep avoiding that?

[/ QUOTE ]

What this country really needs would probably avoid ad hominem arguments too.

Malachii 10-01-2005 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he only killed Kurds, Shiites, Iranians and the occasional son-in-law.

[/ QUOTE ]
As if our invasion of Iraq was really motivated by any of this.

Matty 10-01-2005 02:58 AM

Come on. My little sister can dodge questions better than that without all the extra time to think that you're getting.

Cyrus 10-01-2005 04:26 AM

Enough is enough, sometimes

I know there must be a market for "director's cut" 2+2 posts, where all the text will appear, uncensored.

Nice hand.

10-01-2005 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought he only killed Kurds, Shiites, Iranians and the occasional son-in-law.

[/ QUOTE ]
As if our invasion of Iraq was really motivated by any of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than jump at the chance to make your "point," read the post that followed. It's only a little further down, and it's in English. If you need further explaination, let me know. I'll send in a team of remedial reading instructors.

bobman0330 10-01-2005 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on. My little sister can dodge questions better than that without all the extra time to think that you're getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, i wish this was OOT so i could make hilarious comments about your little sister.

In any case, I haven't done jack [censored] for my country. This was established back when DVaut had his ad hominem attack thread a couple months ago.

10-01-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, i wish this was OOT so i could make hilarious comments about your little sister.

In any case, I haven't done jack [censored] for my country. This was established back when DVaut had his ad hominem attack thread a couple months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! OOT'ers to the rescue! If only humor were a part the lives of so many of the posters here. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BTW, ad hominem seems to be a way of life in this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PITTM 10-01-2005 03:15 PM

i like changing the topic when i realize i never had any valid points to make too...

rj

10-01-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like changing the topic when i realize i never had any valid points to make too...

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta, kinda, ummmm, like what you just did?

Matty 10-18-2005 04:28 AM

Bumped because MMMMM doesn't think liberals can recognize progress when they see it.

anatta 10-18-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grey, youre the man.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

DVaut1 10-18-2005 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps there were some ad hominem attacks in the thread, but I think there was an important point in there somewhere: namely that arm-chair super-patriots should be consistent, and willingly volunteer to fight in a war they so loudly support - I'm of the opinion that it's rather unethical (and probably morally wrong) to support a war if we have no interest in fighting/dying in it ourselves.