Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Am i playing this to Weak? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346851)

09-29-2005 11:40 AM

Am i playing this to Weak?

Villian is a very Loose and Agressive player, and seems decent in his play.

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Villian ( $194.40 )
Seat 2: x ( $33.15 )
Seat 3: x ( $99.05 )
Seat 5: x ( $192.75 )
Seat 6: x ( $453.75 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $198 )

Hero posts small blind [$1].
X posts big blind [$2].

** Dealing down cards **

<font color="red">Dealt to Hero [ As 6s ]</font>

x folds.
Villian calls [$2].
x calls [$2].
x folds.
x calls [$1].
O2468 checks.

<font color="red">** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, Jd, Qs ]Pot: 8$</font>

Hero checks.
X checks.
Villian bets [$5].
X folds.
Hero calls [$5].
X folds.

<font color="red">** Dealing Turn ** [ 7s ]Pot: 18</font>

X checks.
Villian bets [$14].
Hero calls [$14].

<font color="red">** Dealing River ** [ Qd ]Pot: 46$</font>

Hero checks.
Villian bets [$20].
Hero calls [$20].

Allinlife 09-29-2005 11:41 AM

Re: Am i playing this to Weak?

bet and raise when you have good hands

Riposte 09-29-2005 11:50 AM

Even though you are up against a LAG, whom you may have very little to no fold equity against, I am pushing this flop with a flush and gutshot draw.

troymclur 09-29-2005 11:58 AM

you're pushing 190 dollars into an 8 dollar pot? what the hell for?

Re: OP

Re-raise flop, push if he raises back. Lead the turn and lead the river.

Riposte 09-29-2005 12:28 PM

I am raising the flop for sure. In order to take full advantage of any fold equity I might have, I think I have to push.

If I make say a 1.5 pot size raise, and get reraised, my fold equity goes down a lot. The guy is just going to be more prone to call after he reraises and I reraise again. And getting reraised is just going to suck, and I'll probably be committing the majority of my stack on the turn anyway with 12 outs.

Against one pair, we are a favorite to win. Against two pair, we have something like 40% pot equity. I think I can squeeze enough fold equity out of this guy to make this at least a breakeven coinflip.

EDIT: Oh poo, I didn't see the flop check. Yeah... bet/3-bet push this thing. I thought he was in LP.

Even though I'm typing this like I know I'm right, I really don't know for sure.

yvesaint 09-29-2005 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am raising the flop for sure. In order to take full advantage of any fold equity I might have, I think I have to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is just a tad bit ridiculous.

amoeba 09-29-2005 12:36 PM

this flop is a nice one for bet 3 bet.

Sifmole 09-29-2005 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're pushing 190 dollars into an 8 dollar pot? what the hell for?

Re: OP

Re-raise flop, push if he raises back. Lead the turn and lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow -- all with A high..... Now I know why Low stakes NL is a gold mine.

amoeba 09-29-2005 01:00 PM

I hope you are being sarcastic

Riposte 09-29-2005 01:02 PM

What card is better than an Ace?

ajmargarine 09-29-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very worried about you. Seriously.

Riposte 09-29-2005 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... people always call my semi-bluffs with bottom pair or two overcards, or even just one overcard. I don't know how else to make these people fold unless I make them commit their whole stack.

JustToast 09-29-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... people always call my semi-bluffs with bottom pair or two overcards, or even just one overcard. I don't know how else to make these people fold unless I make them commit their whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want them to fold in particular?

The whole goal here is to make the opponent make an incorrect decision, not win a small pot with a big bet.

If the opponent folds with the best hand when he is ahead, he has made the wrong decision. If he calls without proper odds with the worst hand, he has made the wrong decision. Either way you win, even if you lose this hand.

Personally, I raise the flop against the LAG just to get more $$ in if the turn comes a scary card for him (good for us). But I make it a pot-sized semi-bluff rather than a push, since risking $100 to win $8 isnt good poker.

Sifmole 09-29-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you are being sarcastic

[/ QUOTE ]

No, by the river all he has is A high vs a paired board with 4 cards in the "zone". And his opponent has already called two pot bets ( flop and turn ).

I'd think that could be termed "overplaying" pretty easily.

Riposte 09-29-2005 01:44 PM

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean for it to be an open push. I misread the hand and was thinking the OP was last to act, where he'd be making a semi-bluff raise after the villain bet.

I am really hating semi-bluffs these days. They haven't been working lately. I either get called then led into on the turn, or reraised. My mindset is just like, well if you're going to be playing your whole stack with huge draws like this anyway, might as well push so at least the other guy has to make the tough decision (and I get the fold equity advantage). [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Riposte 09-29-2005 01:49 PM

He's got at the minimum 40% pot equity. The point is to play it aggressively so that it's up to the opponent to go to the felt, and in the process hopefully obtain enough fold equity to make it at the minimum a 50% chance to win no matter what.

There are also hand ranges where the Hero wins more than 50% of the time anyway. So that's when you WANT your money in the middle.

EDIT: Oh and if you think he "overplayed" this hand... he actually "underplayed" it. Maybe you missed his nut flush on the turn?

Sifmole 09-29-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's got at the minimum 40% pot equity. The point is to play it aggressively so that it's up to the opponent to go to the felt, and in the process hopefully obtain enough fold equity to make it at the minimum a 50% chance to win no matter what.

There are also hand ranges where the Hero wins more than 50% of the time anyway. So that's when you WANT your money in the middle.

EDIT: Oh and if you think he "overplayed" this hand... he actually "underplayed" it. Maybe you missed his nut flush on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I apparently need remedial reading classes..... I swear that used to be a club on the turn.

TheWorstPlayer 09-29-2005 04:51 PM

Yes. You must raise this turn. This is an action board. He would very easily have a very strong hand here. You must raise to try to get more money into the pot.