Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   ***The OFFICIAL Last Week of the Baseball Season Thread (AL)*** (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344206)

pokerdirty 09-25-2005 06:30 PM

***The OFFICIAL Last Week of the Baseball Season Thread (AL)***

AL East
Yankees 91-64
Red Sox 91-64

AL Central
White Sox 94-61
Indians 92-64 (2.5 GB)

Wild Card
Indians 92-64
Yanks/Red Sox 91-64 (0.5 GB)

Predictions.

Yanks Win East.
White Sox Win Central.
Indians win Wild Card.

let (more) discussion begin.

Dynasty 09-25-2005 06:35 PM

Re: ***The OFFICIAL Last Week of the Baseball Season Thread (AL)***

[ QUOTE ]
AL East
Yankees 91-64
Red Sox 91-64
Predictions.
Yanks Win East.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Red Sox have the advantage in the East. Both teams have seven games left. But, all the Red Sox games are at home (.676 record) whereas all the Yankees games are on the road (.514 record).

When the Sox play four vs. Toronto, the Yankees will be paying four at Baltimore.

Of course, it will almost certainly end up getting decided by the final three game series at Fenway.

pokerdirty 09-25-2005 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Red Sox have the advantage in the East. Both teams have seven games left. But, all the Red Sox games are at home (.676 record) whereas all the Yankees games are on the road (.514 record).

When the Sox play four vs. Toronto, the Yankees will be paying four at Baltimore.

Of course, it will almost certainly end up getting decided by the final three game series at Fenway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yanks vs O's 8-6
Sox vs BJs 5-9

Yanks vs Sox 7-9

this ought to make it more interesting. I think the Yanks will have a game advantage going into the final weekend.

and fix your [censored] avatar Dynasty.

Huskiez 09-25-2005 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yanks vs O's 8-6
Sox vs BJs 5-9

Yanks vs Sox 9-7

this ought to make it more interesting. I think the Yanks will have a game advantage going into the final weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerdirty 09-25-2005 07:02 PM

that's what i meant.

forgot the Central too...

Cleveland is 3-4 vs TB, and 5-11 vs White Sox

Chicago is 12-3 vs Det., and 11-5 vs. Cleveland (obviously :P)

craig r 09-25-2005 07:16 PM

Just to argue a bit: I don't know who will win the division in the East, but I think CLE misses the playoffs. NYY and BOS make the playoffs.

craig

pokerdirty 09-25-2005 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to argue a bit: I don't know who will win the division in the East, but I think CLE misses the playoffs. NYY and BOS make the playoffs.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be better for baseball. but as a yankee fan who was at games 6 and 7 of the ALCS last year, i would love nothing more than a yankee sweep at fenway at then end of the year to see their asses sitting at home with that look of disbelief on their face.

"What's the difference between Yankee Dogs and Fenway Franks"

"Yankee Dogs are sold in October."

Dynasty 09-25-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...i would love nothing more than a yankee sweep at fenway at then end of the year to see their asses sitting at home with that look of disbelief on their face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of have the opposite feeling. It would be great to see the Yankees miss the playoffs for the first time in more than a decade.

But, a third straight ALCS match-up would be epic.

Clarkmeister 09-25-2005 10:05 PM

The best is that the Sox (White) won again. It's now almost certain that one of the two East teams will miss the playoffs, which is wonderful.

Kudos to the Sox btw for nutting up the last few days. All sorts of momentum, plus the panicky Chicago media circus telling them how they were going to blow it. I'm not a Sox fan, but I'm glad to see them come from nowhere to wire the field.

Dynasty 09-26-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best is that the Sox (White) won again. It's now almost certain that one of the two East teams will miss the playoffs, which is wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because the Indians have never blown anything before.

Cleveland 92 64 .590 -
NY Yankees* 91 64 .587 .5
Boston* 91 64 .587 .5

Clarkmeister 09-26-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland 92 64 .590 -
Boston* 91 64 .587 .5

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Yankees and Red Sox playing each other, and the Indians having an extra win in hand, they have a significant edge over either team.

Dominic 09-26-2005 01:37 AM

um, you forgot a division.

Angels over White Sox.
Indians over Yankees.

Red Sox miss playoffs.

Angels over Indians.

You heard it here first.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

technologic 09-26-2005 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AL East
Yankees 91-64
Red Sox 91-64
Predictions.
Yanks Win East.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

with all that's going on with baltimore right now, the blue jays are a significantly better team. don't count on having a lead going into the series.

and last series, yankees were 3-1 at fenway. they've played amazing baseball down the stretch. home field advantage doesn't mean anything now when it's go time.

Dynasty 09-26-2005 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
home field advantage doesn't mean anything now when it's go time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people seem to think home field is even more important at...er, go time.

technologic 09-26-2005 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

Dynasty 09-26-2005 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I tell that to Bucky Dent? Would be able to provide insight?

Or, are you trying to make a joke that is badly dated?

imported_The Vibesman 09-26-2005 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a kneejerk thing. Whenever a Yankee fan is scared of the Red Sox, he starts spouting ancient inanities about lucky home runs or trades that took place in the early 1900's.

Kind of sad, really. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

One-game playoffs in the East and the Central. Sox win in both divisions. Cleveland takes the wild card.

pokerdirty 09-26-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland 92 64 .590 -
Boston* 91 64 .587 .5

[/ QUOTE ]

With the Yankees and Red Sox playing each other, and the Indians having an extra win in hand, they have a significant edge over either team.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same people who keep point out that the Yanks and Sox play the final 3 games together don't realize that the Indians and Sox play during the same time.

Clarkmeister 09-26-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland 92 64 .590 -
Boston* 91 64 .587 .5

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same people who keep point out that the Yanks and Sox play the final 3 games together don't realize that the Indians and Sox play during the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same people who think those are equivalent situations don't realize that the White Sox have a 3 game lead on both Boston and New York, making the situations totally different.

Huskiez 09-26-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with all that's going on with baltimore right now, the blue jays are a significantly better team. don't count on having a lead going into the series.

and last series, yankees were 3-1 at fenway. they've played amazing baseball down the stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true, but I don't know if the Yanks really will have a lead either going into that final series. Though Baltimore has really tanked this latter half.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until this statement. It is just wrong. Fenway during Yanks v Bosox time is one of the best home team crowds that I can think of. And it definitely matters, especially when it's go time.

pokerdirty 09-26-2005 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cleveland 92 64 .590 -
Boston* 91 64 .587 .5

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same people who think those are equivalent situations don't realize that the White Sox have a 3 game lead on both Boston and New York, making the situations totally different.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand this, though i know there are people on here (and even baseball tonight [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) that think the situations are even.

Victor 09-26-2005 11:20 AM

the indians will be very dangerous if they make the playoffs. they have the best pitching in the league which is what the playoffs are all about.

DougOzzzz 09-26-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they have the best pitching in the league which is what the playoffs are all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm. Okay.

andyfox 09-26-2005 02:09 PM

"and fix your [censored] avatar Dynasty."

And fix mine too, please.

Thanks.

andyfox 09-26-2005 02:13 PM

I think home field is very important. Example: Game is tied going into the 9th. At Fenway, Torre doesn't bring in Rivera in the bottom of the 9th because if the Yankees don't score in the 10th he'd have to go at least 3 innings to end the game. Whereas at home he'd certainly bring him in.

DougOzzzz 09-26-2005 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Fenway, Torre doesn't bring in Rivera in the bottom of the 9th because if the Yankees don't score in the 10th he'd have to go at least 3 innings to end the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe true, but he'd be wrong not to bring Rivera in.

andyfox 09-26-2005 02:21 PM

"With the Yankees and Red Sox playing each other, and the Indians having an extra win in hand, they have a significant edge over either team."

This is a key point. If all three teams, for example, have the same record going into the final three games, the Indians would only have to win one of the three to be tied for the wild card. If they have a one game lead, they'd be guaranteed a wild card tie even if they lost all three games. And if all three teams end up with the same record after Sunday, the Indians are the only one guaranteed to get in.

pokerdirty 09-26-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if all three teams end up with the same record after Sunday, the Indians are the only one guaranteed to get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure?

andyfox 09-26-2005 02:51 PM

Yankees and Red Sox would play one game to determine the division winner, and that game counts in the standings. The winnner wins the divison and the loser ends up a half game behind the Indians for the wild card.

andyfox 09-26-2005 02:52 PM

Actually, he might. He brought in Rivera in the 1st game of the 2000 World Series in the top of the 9th with his team down by a run. So who knows. But it's still an easier decision at home.

pokerdirty 09-26-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yankees and Red Sox would play one game to determine the division winner, and that game counts in the standings. The winnner wins the divison and the loser ends up a half game behind the Indians for the wild card.

[/ QUOTE ]

gay.

craig r 09-26-2005 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this Andy? I thought I read on MLB.com that if all 3 ended with the same record that the loser of the one game playoff for the division would play CLE on Tuesday. I definitely could be wrong though.

craig

DougOzzzz 09-26-2005 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this Andy? I thought I read on MLB.com that if all 3 ended with the same record that the loser of the one game playoff for the division would play CLE on Tuesday. I definitely could be wrong though.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I am fairly certain I read this as well.

Victor 09-26-2005 03:15 PM

please tell me which team has better pitching.

DougOzzzz 09-26-2005 03:19 PM

I think you missed the point.

Toro 09-26-2005 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Andy is wrong about this. I thought I heard Shawn McCadam of the ProJo say that if the 3 ended up with the same record then the AL East Champ would be determined by best record head to head. Then the other team would play Cleveland for the wild card.

technologic 09-26-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he took advantage of the away team pole in a critical "clutch" game

technologic 09-26-2005 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and last series, yankees were 3-1 at fenway. they've played amazing baseball down the stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true, but I don't know if the Yanks really will have a lead either going into that final series. Though Baltimore has really tanked this latter half.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until this statement. It is just wrong. Fenway during Yanks v Bosox time is one of the best home team crowds that I can think of. And it definitely matters, especially when it's go time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yanks are 4-3 at fenway this year. while home field may be a factor, i'm not saying it's the 3-1 favorite factor that they've enjoyed this year against the yankees.

technologic 09-26-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a kneejerk thing. Whenever a Yankee fan is scared of the Red Sox, he starts spouting ancient inanities about lucky home runs or trades that took place in the early 1900's.

One-game playoffs in the East and the Central. Sox win in both divisions. Cleveland takes the wild card.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think late 1970's qualifies as early 1900's.

kenberman 09-26-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to bucky dent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think late 1970's qualifies as early 1900's.

[/ QUOTE ]

either way, Bucky Dent jokes (and Babe Ruth, etc) now smack of pathetic grasping of days (and a 1 sided rivalry) gone by.

for good reason, many Yankee fans enjoyed the Yankee/Red Sox "rivalry" b/c they always won. last year they got kicked in the teeth, and hard, and some pathetic fans still pretend that they can use the same jokes to insult sox fans. Problem is, those jokes don't work anymore, and the 'jokester' just ends up looking foolish.

I just wish every Yankee fan was like Andy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]