Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think "Oh No?" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343985)

Toddy 09-25-2005 10:36 AM

Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh No?\"

I know in MTT's I should be delighted to see these hands, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. If I push pre flop the ace always seems to come, and if I try to slow play and just call from EP i get about 6 callers behind me.

Chief911 09-25-2005 11:13 AM

Re: Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh No?\"

No.

petvan 09-25-2005 11:20 AM

Re: Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think \"Oh

F YA! is more like my normal reaction. Though with QQ I accept on some level that this is a hand that may very well bust me, though more than likley it will increase my stack size.

P

DyessMan89 09-25-2005 11:23 AM

Nope, but I do with 72. Tough hand to get away from.

galahad_187 09-25-2005 11:39 AM

i think that sometimes if i get lucky to barely make it late into a tournament. And more often with 99-jj. Especially when a lag chip monster bets. Happened last night in the pacific 30k garenteed. First time making this final table as an average stack. I had made 2 raises pf and either had to fold preflop or on the flop so i was fairly low in chips. A big stack that had gone all in 4 times in a row with small pairs and connectors. only raised this time - not a push in late position. I'm on the button with 99 and know im beat since he didn't push like normal. But i prayed for AK and tossed my chips in, he flipped over QQ. I left 2 spots away from my goal - top 5 =).

I'm always happy to have QQ and KK. However, late in a tournament jj-99(maybe 88-77) seem to break me often.

mrh86 09-25-2005 12:08 PM

I'm not fond of any large pocket pairs late in a tournament. In the last six large tournaments that I've played in, I've busted out or lost a majority of my chips because some donk sucked out on my pair with undercards or a lower pair. My favorite tournament hands are strong aces (AK, AQs).

Dave D 09-25-2005 12:12 PM

Yeah I do, but only in the sense of "oh boy, here comes a chance to really misplay a hand, lets not try to F this one up too much". I mean this in the sense that it's a lot easier to post and fold, than actualy have to make a play. It's a lot easier to play a PP that turns into a set on the flop on a rainbow board, than it is KK or even AA. So when I'm thinking "oh no", I generally mean in mid/late stages of a tourney and

1. Am afraid of being married to a hand, like AK, that I could/should lay down in a situation.

2. Am somewhat afraid of being in a preflop situation where "I can tell he has aces here, but I have to push with QQ".

yvesaint 09-25-2005 12:15 PM

everyone who says they dont like their big pocket pairs, give em to me

gr8vertical 09-25-2005 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, but I do with 72. Tough hand to get away from.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Sam T. 09-25-2005 12:26 PM

Not "Oh, no" precisely, but I recognize that the chances are good that a lot of my chips are going into the middle before the hand is done, and when that happens I either chip-up or bust out. That's poker.

On a related note, if you never limped in EP with KK or QQ, it would not be a mistake.

Best,

Sam

09-25-2005 12:42 PM

I'll take it... although KK is abundantly stronger than QQ, I like both, just don't get too fancy with them, and be if the ace comes on the flop, maybe you should abort mission, no shame in folding

Ogre 09-25-2005 12:43 PM

small sample size

Annulus 09-25-2005 01:10 PM

I hate to say this but KK and QQ scare you then maybe tourney play is not for you, or even poker as a whole. I hate to blunt, but its the truth.

TheBlueMonster 09-25-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else in a touney look down at KK and QQ and think "Oh No?"

[/ QUOTE ] yes. And I get very angry that I'm not getting any cards.

TomHimself 09-25-2005 01:24 PM

wasnt there a thread like this a month ago too?

LethalRose 09-25-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wasnt there a thread like this a month ago too?

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a thead like every thread every month.

The past few times I've gotten KK Ive ran into AA, it just happens and theres noway you can fold it unless you have a damn good read and deep stacks.

gobboboy 09-25-2005 03:11 PM

I had a tournament earlier this week where I had KK 6 times in between the 1500 starting people to my 29th finish... I only won one of the hands, and it was the only one where someone didn't end up all in. But at the same time, KK has won so many hands for me in relation to how much other hands have won, you can't NOT be happy about it. I agree with dave when he says that all your chips will probably be on the line unless an ace falls... but that's poker.

betgo 09-25-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know in MTT's I should be delighted to see these hands, but I don't seem to have much luck with them. If I push pre flop the ace always seems to come, and if I try to slow play and just call from EP i get about 6 callers behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a paraliminal tape for improving success in competition and acheiving goals. It has helped me woth poker tournaments and I might lend it to you. It seems like you need a more positive attitude.

davidross 09-25-2005 03:35 PM

I know what you're saying, I bust out with QQ more than any other hand. But I also acquire lots of chips with those hands too. If you're playing well you're going to bust with a good hand rather than a bad one, and it sticks in your memory a lot more than the times it held up.