Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What is wrong with people? (hurricane-related) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342837)

tech 09-23-2005 02:15 PM

What is wrong with people? (hurricane-related)

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The latest forecasts suggest that we might not get ANY rain or high winds at all. The worst case for us according to reports now would be several inches of rain and 30-40 mph winds, neither of which is unusual for this area. Yet, my wife and I drove to get something for lunch today, and about half of the gas stations had no gas. The ones with gas had long lines. People are ravaging grocery stores like there is going to be no food or water for a month.

Meanwhile, my family lives in East Texas about 150 miles from the coast, right in the path of the hurricane as it comes inland. Obviously they are trying to prepare for the hurricane. But to make a difficult situation worse ... PEOPLE ARE ALREADY LOOTING. They are robbing banks, stores, and such. WTF??????

4_2_it 09-23-2005 02:18 PM

Re: What is wrong with people? (hurricane-related)

Just make sure you have plenty of ammo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tdarko 09-23-2005 02:21 PM

i am from dallas too and yesterday i went to the grocery store to get a birthday card and realized nothing was in the store like we were getting ready for the end of the world or something?

i don't know wtf is wrong with people either? i guess they are getting ready for the rain we are going to get this weekend [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Danenania 09-23-2005 02:23 PM

Just overcompensation I guess. Not very rational but it's hard to blame people who have been seeing images of Katrina's devastation on TV for the last three weeks.

Broken Glass Can 09-23-2005 02:31 PM

I blame Bush

http://www.websophist.com/Political_School_Buses.jpg

Aytumious 09-23-2005 03:52 PM

Life must appear so simple through the eyes of a moron.

09-23-2005 03:57 PM

wait, are you sure they're looting? they're not "finding"?

Broken Glass Can 09-23-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Life appears so simple through the eyes of a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take your word for it.

stabn 09-23-2005 04:21 PM

Looting during a hurricane is a lot more work. It's best to just get it out of the way before hand.

2planka 09-23-2005 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looting during a hurricane is a lot more work. It's best to just get it out of the way before hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I always try to get my looting in beforehand as well, but never before lunchtime. I find the looting to be best on a full stomach. I mean, who wants to loot when you're jonesin' for taco bell?

FouTight 09-23-2005 04:25 PM

Well, I live in Pittsburgh, and everytime we are goign to get snow, you would think we were going to be stuck in our houses for 5 weeks. It's pretty silly really, should be used to driving in the snow by now. In the case of that storm though, is a conditioned response from the news and all the imagery that has been on TV.

stabn 09-23-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I always try to get my looting in beforehand as well, but never before lunchtime. I find the looting to be best on a full stomach. I mean, who wants to loot when you're jonesin' for taco bell?

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should go ahead and just loot a taco bell before you get into the hardcore looting. It makes everything so much easier. They also can't [censored] up your order that way.

BreakEvenPlayer 09-23-2005 04:29 PM

This is truly the most idiotic picture I've ever seen.

Broken Glass Can 09-23-2005 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Here it is weeks later and I am still amazed by the buses that were just allowed to get flooded while the mayor waited for air-conditioned Greyhound buses. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Cosimo 09-23-2005 05:31 PM

hmm, a rumor I heard is that HEB distributing is in Houston and is shut down, hence HEB doesn't have crap in their stores.

But your info sounds better. I'd much rather believe that people are just stupid than think that it's a market failure.

I really hope that Rita dissipates and becomes a single, small raincloud just so I can laugh at the people that stocked up on ice, bread, water, and gasoline. Meh, THERES BEEN HURRICANES BEFORE, IDIOTS. And we don't live below sea level, for god's sake!

Brainwalter 09-23-2005 05:36 PM

The long lines of people stocking up on gas, provisions, plywood and whatnot is pretty standard here when any big hurricane hits.

Lazymeatball 09-23-2005 05:47 PM

I filled up my car with gas because I'm expecting the price to go up, not because I fear there will be any sort of shortage in Massachusetts.

mmbt0ne 09-23-2005 06:08 PM

Hey man, category 3 hurricanes still do a lot of damage. And I'm sure when it makes landfall as a cat 2 it'll do plenty of damage too!

Brainwalter 09-23-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The long lines of people stocking up on gas, provisions, plywood and whatnot is pretty standard here when any big hurricane hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this in a state where they hit every year.

SackUp 09-23-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Here it is weeks later and I am still amazed by the buses that were just allowed to get flooded while the mayor waited for air-conditioned Greyhound buses. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that not all those buses had gas and more importantly drivers.

The biggest problem in those states was that the people did not help each other. Those who could got the fvck out asap and those who could not were fvcked. It is absurd to think the federal gov't is just going to be able to save the world on a moments notice or even a couple of days at that. It's just the reality of the situation. The people of those states need to help each other.

Rockatansky 09-23-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

Just come out and say it: you blame the nigger mayor of New Orleans and its nigger residents for what happened.

Don't hide your ignorance and racism behind a tasteless picture.

tech 09-23-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey man, category 3 hurricanes still do a lot of damage. And I'm sure when it makes landfall as a cat 2 it'll do plenty of damage too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that. But we aren't in its path and we are pretty far inland too. I fully understand the preparations elsewhere, just not here.

gmrankin 09-23-2005 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of like it.

Lazymeatball 09-23-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

Just come out and say it: you blame the nigger mayor of New Orleans and its nigger residents for what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what an a-hole thing to say.

crookedhat99 09-23-2005 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're a total idiot. i hate people like you.

David 09-23-2005 07:37 PM

Maybe some of the food, gas, etc......were bought up by the 400,000 or so people that have come into the DFW area trying to escape the storm? I live about 30 miles from the coast in a town of 10K people or so, this place is a ghost town. And we are barely gonna get any wind at all from this storm.

David 09-23-2005 07:40 PM

By the way, where are you hearing about looting? I've been watching the Houston stations for 3 days and not even 1 single mention of any looting. Maybe you not hearing right? Maybe you are, please reference something we can see on looting.

MelchyBeau 09-23-2005 07:43 PM

Keep Politics in the Politics forum, not OOT.

Thank you,
Melch

09-23-2005 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what... it's attitudes like that that made the black/white/yellow/and purple people of NO not work together.

Since the left over people had attitudes like yours... I don't feel so bad for them.

BreakEvenPlayer 09-23-2005 08:02 PM

Hey bitch, it's a total cause and effect picture. Due to the situation that happened in New Orleans, people and government in Texas are taking this much more seriously, hence the inner-city people leaving on buses.

If Katrina had hit Houston first, there would be flooded buses there as well.

This picture is spin at it's worst, and if you truly believe what it is trying to imply, then I hate you.

09-23-2005 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey bitch, it's a total cause and effect picture. Due to the situation that happened in New Orleans...

If Katrina had hit Houston first, there would be flooded buses there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again...

The poor, rich, white, black, educated, un-educated, politicians, and buss boys all knew about the

CAUSE : i.e. we live in a hurricane prone area with inadequete drainage...

AND THE

Effect: eventually levies will break and people will die.

Those you chose to be ignorant receive 87% less compassion from me.

BreakEvenPlayer 09-23-2005 08:16 PM

My post wasn't directed at you. You are absolutely right that everyone knew about the problems.

My point is that the only reason inner-city people are leaving Houston on buses is because of what we've all seen in New Orleans. If Katrina hadn't come first, you wouldn't see nearly as much evacuation effort in Houston as we are seeing now, thus making the picture in question very ignorant and hurtful.

wacki 09-23-2005 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the mayor is pretty dumb. I mean those pumps should be on stilts, a city that depends on levee's for it's very survival should have atleast 1 heavy lifting helicopter w/ sandbags ready to go. Also, those buses in your picture are Nagin's fault because of liability fears. Also it apparently took a personal call from the president to urge the governor to order the mandatory evacuation for it to finally happen.

So, by your rational of using race. The "niger mayor" really is dumb. And the cracka mayor actually has a brain.

Rob Blackburn 09-23-2005 09:33 PM

I was on the road out of Houston because I lived in a mandatory evac. zone on the edge of Galveston county. In my 26 hour trip out of Houston to Plano, I didn't see looting per se. What I did see in grocery stores and convenient stores on the way out was alot of just straight up shoplifting, by taking advantage of the mass amounts of people in the store at the same time.

I wouldn't be suprised if people are looting in the south part of Houston right now since its a ghost town in most of the towns out there.

Thanks Hurricane Rita for the worst road trip of my life.

There was one redeeming quality on the trip was to be one of the first 10 people to drive 45S northbound, do upwards of 100mph pass cops and laugh. Good times.

09-24-2005 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Life appears so simple through the eyes of a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take your word for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

SheetWise 09-24-2005 01:59 AM

Hurtful?

If this is just an example of Houston learning from New Orleans -- then which state was it that taught Houston how to provision the Astrodome? As you recall, Houston made the Astrodome available immediately -- the reason they could do that is because it was already stocked with food, water, cots, etc., in preparation for a hurricane. Certainly it was easier for Houston, having water and power -- but, interestingly -- the Astrodome also had generators and portable toilets on hand.

Is there some reason you don't want to admit that Louisiana is run by thieves and incompetent boobs?

SheetWise 09-24-2005 02:08 AM

Taco Bell ordering

[ QUOTE ]
You really should go ahead and just loot a taco bell before you get into the hardcore looting. It makes everything so much easier. They also can't [censored] up your order that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

John Ho 09-24-2005 11:51 PM

Re: Hurtful?

I don't usually agree with Sheetwise but he has a good point here. New Orleans was and is run by corrupt, incompetent morons and it bit them in the ass. Though, to be fair to them, they got hit a lot worse than anyone has ever been hit. But they sure weren't ready for much.

I wouldn't completely blame the mayor but the whole political system in New Orleans needs fixing. You can be a corrupt city that goes Democrat without being mind numbingly incompetent and inefficient i.e. Chicago.

I think it's fair to say when your elected officials are beholden to poor, uneducated,underemployed masses you will tend to get a government full of people better at talking than getting things done. How else do you explain Marion Barry getting elected to the city council of the nation's capital after getting caught smoking crack with a hooker on CAMERA?

On the same token President Bush is a moron who was annointed the Republican nominee for President because the ultrarich could rely on him to be on "their side." Hence the obsession with tax cuts for the wealthy, the push for repeal of the estate tax, and reckless spending geared towards large corporations as opposed to lower income individuals. And this country is paying the price - he is like the kid who takes over his dad's company and runs it right into the ground with a confused look on his face.

twowords 09-25-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the left over people had attitudes like yours... I don't feel so bad for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

ie. the victims left in NO were by and large race baiters and not really worth saving...........

WARNING: Approaching BGC territory. Continue at the risk of losing absolutely all legitimacy and presumption of seriousness. You've been warned.

scalf 09-25-2005 08:59 AM

Re: What is wrong with people? (hurricane-related)..maybe

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]..maybe; just maybe: it is culture; or racially motivated

jmho

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]