Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341995)

swede123 09-22-2005 10:43 AM

Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two

A few upsets in round one. The most notable one; Enemy at the Gates beating Zulu. Oh well, the people have spoken, and lets move on to round two. Look for more tough matchups. I'm personally going to struggle with Glory vs. Black Hawk Down. Clearly Glory is a better picture but still, it'll be hard to vote against one of my favorite recent movies...

cadillac1234 09-22-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two

I knew Thin Red Line was doomed to die in round 1

Looks like the end of the line for Master and Commander as well but there is no way I can vote for it against AN.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 10:48 AM

FMJ vs. Dirty Dozen? Wow.

FWIW this was the worst seeding yet. I know you're using ratings or whatever, but there were 1 seeds I've never even heard of. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

swede123 09-22-2005 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW this was the worst seeding yet. I know you're using ratings or whatever, but there were 1 seeds I've never even heard of. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be ashamed of yourself if you don't at least know each of the one seeds. Some of the two and three seeds were a bit obscure but the four one seeds are pretty much widely regarded as great movies, by critics and the public alike. Now get busy catching up on your war movie watching!

Swede

diebitter 09-22-2005 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only one I was really torn over. Can't believe 'where eagles dare' didn't make it.

swede123 09-22-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only one I was really torn over. Can't believe 'where eagles dare' didn't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was interesting that two great Allistair McLean novel-movies ended up matched up in round one. I agree Where Eagles Dare is better than The Guns of Navarone.

Swede

RunDownHouse 09-22-2005 11:07 AM

YOU PEOPLE ARE VOTING FOR A JUDE LAW MOVIE OVER PATTON! PATTON! Christ, what is wrong with you? Enemy shouldn't have gotten out of the first round.

SL__72 09-22-2005 11:07 AM

Poor Tae Guk Gik... such a good movie but I'm sure very few have seen it since its foriegn. The Longest Day is a tough matchup anyway.

SL__72 09-22-2005 11:08 AM

I voted for it in the first round because I honestly didn't really like Zulu... I don't see why its getting votes over Patton other then maybe more people have seen it?

Whats wrong with Jude Law though?

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for it in the first round because I honestly didn't really like Zulu... I don't see why its getting votes over Patton other then maybe more people have seen it?

Whats wrong with Jude Law though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's never heard of Patton? Wtf?

And Jude law as a sniper? They might as well have cast Elijiah Wood. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

diebitter 09-22-2005 11:12 AM

I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

RunDownHouse 09-22-2005 11:14 AM

If you don't know what's wrong with casting Jude Law in the lead of a war movie, I don't think I can help you. I do agree that its probably winning because the teenie-bopper crowd has never seen Patton.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Blackhawk down. Crappy movie in many ways, but as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

swede123 09-22-2005 11:16 AM

Why do people say this? We did a greatest comedy poll a while back and the final four were Caddyshack, Office Space, Holy Grail and Princess Bride. Ultimately Caddyshack ended up beating Office Space by a nose, but American Pie was nowhere near the top.

Swede

Xelent 09-22-2005 11:22 AM

This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

fnord_too 09-22-2005 11:24 AM

Group two is going to have the toughest round 3 I think. The 1, 2, and 3 seeds are the strongest set of three left. Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is up against Glory. Matthew Broderick is as Jude Law.ridiculous as

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I'm torn. I'm sure the GE will win due to sheer starpower.

swede123 09-22-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, of course I realize this whole thing will be skewed by people's ignorance (my own included, out of the 64 there's a good ten or so I have never seen) about the older movies. In the end, however, I bet it'll come down to some classics, just like the previous polls have.

Swede

ScottyP431 09-22-2005 11:36 AM

Casting Jude Law was an exceptional act of film making. Perhaps on par with the brilliance of casting Mathew Broderick as the lead in glory. Neither fits the stereotype for their role because they aren't supposed to.

If the poll had been like, opening speech of patton vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted patton. If it had been ditka vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted ditka, even if it was some kind of mini ditka. Maybe im just a commie

MonkeeMan 09-22-2005 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Even with all the techno-goodies, the fog sets in.

We Were Soldiers Once had this in the book, but I was very disappointed in the movie.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Even with all the techno-goodies, the fog sets in.

We Were Soldiers Once had this in the book, but I was very disappointed in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the first scene of pvt ryan.

BottlesOf 09-22-2005 11:43 AM

Full Metal Jacket vs. Dirty Dozen, that's not fair!!!!

DD is so good, but FMJ has way more mass appeal I can't imagine DD advancing even though it deserves to.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DD is so good, but FMJ has way more mass appeal

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought just the opposite! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

samjjones 09-22-2005 11:50 AM

http://www.djfl.de/entertainment/djfl/1010/101420b2.jpg

Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight - wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and never will lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

diebitter 09-22-2005 11:53 AM

2 points:

1) You do often arrive late though, once us Brits have softened em up.
2) VIETNAM

samjjones 09-22-2005 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VIETNAM

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, obviously this happened after the events of the movie took place...it is a great speech nonetheless.

diebitter 09-22-2005 11:56 AM

Oh my bad. I thought this was you, not a speech.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by once us Brits have softened em up, you mean just in time to save our Brit asses, then yes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

diebitter 09-22-2005 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by once us Brits have softened em up, you mean just in time to save our Brit asses, then yes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing us with the French - please don't, we are known for our sense of humour, but there are limits, old bean.

Tom1975 09-22-2005 12:06 PM

I predict FMJ walks away with it.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're confusing us with the French

[/ QUOTE ]

I could never do that. The French are the ones with the hot women. You're the ones that were getting blown into dust. Although to your credit, I'm pretty sure you woudln't be speaking German. You'd all have died first.

swede123 09-22-2005 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I predict FMJ walks away with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see FMJ and Pvt. Ryan in the final. Also, good to see the Glory fans coming out to vote, Black Hawk Down was doing way too well early on in this round.

Swede

Cancuk 09-22-2005 01:40 PM

the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be stoned.

cheers

BottlesOf 09-22-2005 01:44 PM

I don't know how you can honestly believe that. The second part I mean. This board is frequented mostly by college age people and 20 somethings. Far more of these people know and like FMJ. Many here probably have never heard of Lee Marvin.

MonkeeMan 09-22-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be keelhauled.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

MonkeeMan 09-22-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do often arrive late though, once us Brits have softened em up.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were early at Lexington and Concord though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Shajen 09-22-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be stoned.

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't smoke, but I voted for Master and Commander. Mainly because I think two things:

1) the movie is extremely overrated

2) Brando cannot act.

<font color="white">And no, I don't give a [censored] about what anyone else thinks. This is my opinion. I'll wipe my ass with yours. </font>

RunDownHouse 09-22-2005 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't smoke, but I voted for Master and Commander. Mainly because I think two things:

1) the movie is extremely overrated

2) Brando cannot act.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't the most important criteria be which movie in the pairing is better? I agree that some movies on this list of 64 are very overrated, but that doesn't really impact how good they are.

Shajen 09-22-2005 02:35 PM

My criteria is which movie would I rather watch if I had to chose between the two.

Having seen both of those movies, I would rather watch M&amp;C.