Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   my shortest session ever (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341987)

Tommy Angelo 09-22-2005 10:32 AM

my shortest session ever

I slipped into the Mirage poker room in the wee hours and there was a four-handed $20-40 game going. I went to the cage and got a couple racks and I sat down. The guy on my left was racking up six racks of chips and the other players were giving him some unfriendly heck about running over the game and quitting. The button was two spots to my right which meant it was my big blind which is when I would normally enter the game. The guy on my left said to me, "Oh, thanks for showing up. Now I get another hand before I quit, maybe I can draw some more blood from these guys."

I sat, gazing at a spot on the felt in front of my chips. The dealer said, "Would you like to come in now?"

I said, "I'll wait."

The guy on my left barked, "Wait for what?" This is the right time to come in!!"

He kept making more sounds. I was thinking of what the answer to his question actually was. I decided that I was waiting for the sun to nova.

He was still making sounds, and then he took his big blind and started unracking his chips. There was a song from Abbey Road coming from the ceiling and I couldn't hear it well enough. Nothing felt right. I filled two of his empties with my chips and quit. No hands to report from this session! Literally!

Tommy

random 09-22-2005 10:35 AM

Re: my shortest session ever

What did you end up doing?

Turning Stone Pro 09-22-2005 11:22 AM

I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

I am very impressed, this was so cool. To sit down to play in a small-stakes game, jerk people around, then have the discipline to get up and quit without playing a hand like an obnoxious, spoiled 6 year old kid or trust-fund frat boy.

When I grow up, I can only dream of making $65,000 per year living this incredible lifestyle. So awesome.

TSP

BigEndian 09-22-2005 11:25 AM

Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
like an obnoxious, spoiled 6 year old kid or trust-fund frat boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irony, thy name is TSP.

- Jim

mplspoker 09-22-2005 11:28 AM

LOL... well put TSP..

flair1239 09-22-2005 11:55 AM

Not mentally ready to play, in what was probably a slightly unhinged game?

andyfox 09-22-2005 12:01 PM

She came in through the bathroom window
Protected by a silver spoon
But now she sucks her thumb and wanders
By the banks of her own lagoon

Didn't anybody tell her?
Didn't anybody see?
Sunday's on the phone to Monday,
Tuesday's on the phone to me

She said she'd always been a dancer
She worked at 15 clubs a day
And though she thought I knew the answer
Well I knew what I could not say.

And so I quit the police department
And got myself a steady job
And though she tried her best to help me
She could steal but she could not rob

Didn't anybody tell her?
Didn't anybody see?
Sunday's on the phone to Monday,
Tuesday's on the phone to me
Oh yeah.

STLantny 09-22-2005 12:13 PM

I dont get the harsh replies, he decided to not sit in a game, that was probably not a good one to begin with.

glen 09-22-2005 12:28 PM

wow

I was listening to that song when I opened your post. . . good times. I love the second half of Abbey Road. . . I was thinking of "You never give me your money" after I read Tommy's post. . .

magithighs 09-22-2005 12:32 PM

This is the beauty of playing for a living. You get to chose who you work with, AND your customers. But that may be lost on some.

Cheers
Magi

mplspoker 09-22-2005 12:44 PM

I think the reason he gets these responses.. is b/c many players here get a kick out of reading his posts, but in terms of making money they are nearly worthless..

PokerBob 09-22-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am very impressed, this was so cool. To sit down to play in a small-stakes game, jerk people around, then have the discipline to get up and quit without playing a hand like an obnoxious, spoiled 6 year old kid or trust-fund frat boy.

When I grow up, I can only dream of making $65,000 per year living this incredible lifestyle. So awesome.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

wow are you a
d
i
c
k

mplspoker 09-22-2005 01:06 PM

He is telling it how it is though.... It's pathetic that this guy has been playing forever and doesn't make nearly as much as people who are 22 on here do.. and people are dumb enough to take his advice.. The point of poker as a profession is to make as much $$ as possible... The only thing i can come up with is that he must be a much better writer/teacher than he is a player...

BigEndian 09-22-2005 01:36 PM

That may be the case, but the antagonism that persists in the mid-high stakes forum is sad.

- Jim

rory 09-22-2005 01:42 PM

Most people who are very happy in their profession are not in it to make the most money possible.

mike l. 09-22-2005 01:51 PM

but

wow but unwow.

i mean you left cause it felt right so that i love

but

an angry tilted poophead was tilting away enough to play heads up and you left??!

i get it, but whaaaa??

mike l. 09-22-2005 01:53 PM

if there's one guy who will never give tommy a harsh reply it's andy.

NLSoldier 09-22-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point of poker as a profession is to make as much $$ as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

says who?

[ QUOTE ]
It's pathetic that this guy has been playing forever and doesn't make nearly as much as people who are 22 on here do

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet many of these 22 yr olds are willing to pay him FIVE thousand for a weekend of lessons. Maybe you arent seeing the whole picture?

Ulysses 09-22-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's where the disconnect lies.

Ulysses 09-22-2005 02:40 PM

You are a dick, but that was a pretty funny post nonetheless, TSP. BTW, you ready for some wagering yet, chief?

mplspoker 09-22-2005 02:42 PM

I'm sorry but people who are very successful in business are driven to make $$. People who talk about "loving" there job are full of it most of the time.. If they won the lottery they wouldn't be spending there day doing their current job 95/100 times..

scott8 09-22-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but people who are very successful in business are driven to make $$. People who talk about "loving" there job are full of it most of the time.. If they won the lottery they wouldn't be spending there day doing their current job 95/100 times..

[/ QUOTE ]

So wouldn't this tend to demonstrate that it is the lifestyle we seek and not the money.

09-22-2005 02:53 PM

thank you jim, well put. the antagonism needs to stop.

Justin A 09-22-2005 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is telling it how it is though.... It's pathetic that this guy has been playing forever and doesn't make nearly as much as people who are 22 on here do.. and people are dumb enough to take his advice.. The point of poker as a profession is to make as much $$ as possible... The only thing i can come up with is that he must be a much better writer/teacher than he is a player...

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you pretend to know how much he makes in a year?

kidcolin 09-22-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but people who are very successful in business are driven to make $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with what Rory or NL said. Besides, a good % of those people aren't all that happy.

[ QUOTE ]
People who talk about "loving" there job are full of it most of the time.. If they won the lottery they wouldn't be spending there day doing their current job 95/100 times..

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be right, to some degree. But we still have to work to live, one way or the other. These people chose a line of work that they felt could provide enough to live happily and that they enjoy more than most highly compensated jobs.

09-22-2005 03:00 PM

what is the point?

mplspoker 09-22-2005 03:01 PM

B/c i know the limits he plays at hte mirage..

Lestat 09-22-2005 04:03 PM

Hope the commute was pleasant.

dankhank 09-22-2005 04:04 PM

the funny thing is, in most corners of the world the majority would find themselves agreeing with mplspoker's rationale.

PassiveCaller 09-22-2005 04:10 PM

Which shows you know very little.

Justin A 09-22-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
B/c i know the limits he plays at hte mirage..

[/ QUOTE ]

But you obviously don't know the limits where he plays in the Bay Area where he lives...

SoBeDude 09-22-2005 04:33 PM

LOL

This is not true for me. And after having an interesting conversation with Tommy at the Mirage, I think it is not for him as well.

For me, I enjoy the lifestyle freedom that I achieve from poker. I work when I want, I report to no one. I play when I want. I sleep in late. I don't set an alarm.

These are worth more to me than the money I make. Yea, I could make more by playing more, but then I'd have less of my precious free time.

-Scott

Jdanz 09-22-2005 04:46 PM

jesus, even a post that makes you look like a bit of an ass ends up having a very important point that the majority of the poker community doesn't get.

PassiveCaller 09-22-2005 04:50 PM

They all have some sort of a point.. It's about getting it and getting it right. And your comment rings very true, most don't.

Stuck 09-22-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet when those same businessmen have made more than they ever could have won from the lottery, they continue to go into work everyday. Hmmm.

CardSharpCook 09-22-2005 05:01 PM

Cool post. I hate playing with "that guy".

kidcolin 09-22-2005 05:02 PM

He had on a shirt that said "Mirage 20-40"?

phish 09-22-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. He is such a nit. And he was proud for posting that?

scott8 09-22-2005 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL

This is not true for me. And after having an interesting conversation with Tommy at the Mirage, I think it is not for him as well.

For me, I enjoy the lifestyle freedom that I achieve from poker. I work when I want, I report to no one. I play when I want. I sleep in late. I don't set an alarm.

These are worth more to me than the money I make. Yea, I could make more by playing more, but then I'd have less of my precious free time.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true for me either. I spent the last 2 days playing an entire career on Fifa 2005 while playing very little poker.

Could I have done this with a real job?

Ha!

InfernoLL 09-22-2005 05:34 PM

Hey, I don't know where you come from, but around here 20/40 is Middle Limits, not Small Stakes. Anyone who makes that mistake cannot possibly understand the basic principles of poker.