Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Was called "retarded" for this hand - 5/10 6 Max (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340712)

Sully 09-20-2005 11:31 AM

Was called \"retarded\" for this hand - 5/10 6 Max

Six handed, and it is called around to the small blind, who folds. I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]in the BB. UTG+1 folds everyone else calls. Three to the flop.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, UTG calls, MP raises. I re-raise and UTG caps(?). MP calls, I call.

UTG has done nothing that makes any sense for the past hour, but has been killing the game with all types of hands. I would be much better off to his left. He is NOT good.

MP is your standard table coaching weak tight ass.

Turn comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and I bet out. UTG raises, MP folds, and I call.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check call.

MP was the one who analyzed my IQ here....I assume for betting into the check-capper on the turn.

My thought was that if I bet out on the turn, I a) don't give any free cards to flush draws and b) am likely to get it heads up with the lunatic, which is what happened.

Good? Bad?

DCWGaming 09-20-2005 11:35 AM

Re: Was called \"retarded\" for this hand - 5/10 6 Max

I play it the exact same way...im interested to see if its a mistake though, because I think, unless UTG is a real retard, you're behind him.

fyodor 09-20-2005 11:49 AM

No reason to believe UTG has anything more than TP given your read. He could even have less.

Your play is fine.

Derek in NYC 09-20-2005 12:22 PM

I play it the same.

mindflayer 09-20-2005 12:35 PM

i play it the same.

BigBaitsim (milo) 09-20-2005 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Six handed, and it is called around to the small blind, who folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my favorite part of the whole hand.

Wynton 09-20-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, can't let this comment go, as you've provided me with a chance to repeat one of my questions: if all 5 players are already in the hand, is there any hand a person shouldn't complete with from the sb?

cartman 09-20-2005 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b) am likely to get it heads up with the lunatic, which is what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, any action that has this result is great with one pair in a big pot. I think you played it perfectly.

Cartman

CourtJester 09-20-2005 01:02 PM

Donk betting into, i mean not giving free cards to maniacs and kicking others out of hand is +EV. Play was fine NH

iluzion 09-20-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, can't let this comment go, as you've provided me with a chance to repeat one of my questions: if all 5 players are already in the hand, is there any hand a person shouldn't complete with from the sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

27o?

09-20-2005 01:48 PM

I play it the same.

climber 09-20-2005 01:53 PM

I'll be the 19th moron to say "I play it the same" and bump my post count by one like i guess eveyrone else must be doing.

I like the turn lead especially with these guys that seem to invest so much ego into their game. I'm really happy when I spot these opportunities to use others predictable actions to improve my winning chances. I think the big challenge for me is to remember to look for these opportunitied when multi-tabling.

Victor 09-20-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my favorite part.

[ QUOTE ]
raise with A A in the BB. UTG+1 folds

[/ QUOTE ]

k_squared 09-20-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were in a ring game and by 'accident' called a bet in middle position (say 4th position and 1-3 folded). Then the next 3 players call and then the small blind raises. The BB calls and it is on you to act. Do you call because you have accidently put money in the pot already? You should only call in this situation if your hand has enough equity, and that is determined by how well it will play against a field of opponents.

There are a lot of hands that should be folded from the SB if everyone else has called because to beat 5 opponenets you need a significantly better hand than to beat just a player on the button trying to steal, or when you are heads up with the other blind. The value of many hands is significantly affected by the number of players in the hand.

-k_squared

kidcolin 09-20-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got nothing to back this up, but probably low, unsuited, 3+ gappers.

DMBFan23 09-20-2005 03:09 PM

I agree with your general sentiment, but two extra considerations make this situation different:

-his implied odds are MUCH better when he is putting in 1/2 or 3/5ths of a small bet preflop than when he is putting in a whole small be

-the range of hands for the raising player is going to impact your equity, though at this point there is usually enough money in the pot to make up for that.

angst 09-20-2005 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that if I bet out on the turn, I a) don't give any free cards to flush draws

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's why I think your turn lead is the best line here.

Wes ManTooth 09-20-2005 04:11 PM

my favorite responce to someone like this is "I hit the wrong button"... if he follows it up with something like... how did you do that or on all your bets you f-ed up, I follow that with... "my mouse is broken"

k_squared 09-20-2005 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your general sentiment, but two extra considerations make this situation different:

-his implied odds are MUCH better when he is putting in 1/2 or 3/5ths of a small bet preflop than when he is putting in a whole small be

-the range of hands for the raising player is going to impact your equity, though at this point there is usually enough money in the pot to make up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that implied odds are much better, but we also have to remember that his position is worse!!! And really the illustration is just to show that simply because there is a lot of money in the pot does not mean that it is a good idea to call with any hand. It has to be a hand that is +EV in the given situation (or a situation in which you can create value by outplaying your opponents - but I am confident these situations are very few when facing multiple opponents like this). A random hand does not have enough value against 5 other opponents.

The real question is what types of hands have enough equity against multiple opponents to make them worth playing. I can't imagine EVERY HAND has enough value, while it does make sense to propose that MANY hands have enough value. .

-K_squared

Sully 09-20-2005 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses...looks like I can go to sleep tonight knowing that my IQ is still intact.

And for the record, UTG showed me Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and MHWAWPOC. (My Hand Was A Worthless Piece Of Crap).

The very next hand, he called two cold from the BB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and flopped a straight against my set of Queens. Many bets were lost.

poboys 09-20-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was my favorite part.

[ QUOTE ]
raise with A A in the BB. UTG+1 folds

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I thought I misread the action at first. This guy's limp gets 2.5:1 but he folds when he's getting 7.5:1 (more likely 9.5:1 after the other two limpers call)?

Yikes. Who's the retard?

stinkypete 09-20-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll chuck a lot of hands here, especially with the 2/5 SB small blind

StellarWind 09-21-2005 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll chuck a lot of hands here, especially with the 2/5 SB small blind

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. The implied odds on a trash hand 6-handed out-of-position are a much more important consideration than pot odds.

Another problem is many BBs will raise five limpers with a very wide range of hands.