Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Question about minimum allowed raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340577)

maddo 09-20-2005 04:41 AM

Question about minimum allowed raise

Hi.

Blinds are 25/50.

2 players (Fred and Bob) see the flop.

Fred checks.
Bob bets 150.
Fred wants to raise the minimum. Can he raise to 250 (another 100) because Bob's bet was 100 more than the minimum (50). Or does he have to raise to 300 (double Bob's bet)?

Cheers.

FouTight 09-20-2005 07:13 AM

Re: Question about minimum allowed raise

Minimum bet: Big Blind
Minimum Raise: Size of the largest previous bet

smoore 09-20-2005 09:38 AM

Fred can raise to 250 because the last raise was 100

blind: 50
raise : 100 = 150
next raise : 100 = 250

Khabbi 09-20-2005 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? My interpretation was that the first bet is a bet, not a raise. In the example, the first bet was 150, so any raise would nee to go to at least 300.

ky70 09-20-2005 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? My interpretation was that the first bet is a bet, not a raise. In the example, the first bet was 150, so any raise would nee to go to at least 300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoore is correct because the raise was for $100 (of $150 total bet, $50 calls the big blind and $100 is the raise). The next subsequent raise must be at least equal to the previous raise. Here is the blurb from one of rule handbooks (possibly Robert's Rules):

3. All raises must be equal to or greater than the size of the previous bet or raise on that betting round, except for an all-in wager. A player who has already acted and is not facing a fullsize wager may not subsequently raise an all-in bet that is less than the minimum bet (which is the amount of the minimum bring-in), or less than the full size of the last bet or raise. (The half-the-size rule for reopening the betting is for limit poker only.)

moose47 09-20-2005 10:51 AM

But the action in the example is not pre-flop. There was no 100 raise, there was a bet of 150. So the minimum raise would be 150 more to a total of 300.

FouTight 09-20-2005 10:52 AM

no.

This is after the flop.

It's checked to him, he bets 150, the raise must be to at least 300.

09-20-2005 11:08 AM

If the blinds are 25/50 and the guy UTG raises to 150, the next guy CAN raise to 250...there is no question about it.

FouTight 09-20-2005 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the blinds are 25/50 and the guy UTG raises to 150, the next guy CAN raise to 250...there is no question about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only question is, are you reading the question.

This is after the flop, it isn't raised to 150, it's a bet of 150.

REread, REthink, REply

Zetack 09-20-2005 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no.

This is after the flop.

It's checked to him, he bets 150, the raise must be to at least 300.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misread it too, and thought it was PF--throwing in the blinds threw me off since they are irrelevant post flop except to define the minimum bet.

The above is clearly correct, he must raise to 300 if raising.

PF the other answer would be correct and he could raise to 250.

--Zetack

CrazyN8 09-20-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only question is, are you reading the question.

This is after the flop, it isn't raised to 150, it's a bet of 150.

REread, REthink, REply

[/ QUOTE ]

so 250 is the correct answer? 50 blind + 100 bet = 150...raise 100 (size of previous bet) = 250

Khabbi 09-20-2005 11:48 AM

The question relates to post-flop betting.

The correct answer is that there was a bet of 150 so therefore the minimum raise must be to at least 300.

CrazyN8 09-20-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The correct answer is that there was a bet of 150 so therefore the minimum raise must be to at least 300.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I see that side of it, too. I think one could make a good arguement for both. I need to go back over the rules but I see it as raising the blind (yes, the after the flop bet). For the record, I don't know what is correct, I was just offering how I viewed it....

You are required to bet a minimum after the flop, the size of the blind. If you bet more than that you are "raising the minimum bet". So I see how the minimum raise could be the difference between that first bet and the blind. Again, I need to look back over the rules.

FouTight 09-20-2005 12:23 PM

This thread is ridiculous.

There is no one side of it or the other side of it.

You have to raise the minimum of the previous bet.

The bet was 150, you have to raise another 150, (150+150= 300)

also...

do any if you guys from this thread want to play a game of poker? I think it would be a whole lot of fun.

Kaeser 09-20-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I see that side of it, too. I think one could make a good arguement for both. I need to go back over the rules but I see it as raising the blind (yes, the after the flop bet). For the record, I don't know what is correct, I was just offering how I viewed it....

You are required to bet a minimum after the flop, the size of the blind. If you bet more than that you are "raising the minimum bet". So I see how the minimum raise could be the difference between that first bet and the blind. Again, I need to look back over the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post flop you are not "raising the minimum bet" you are betting or raising. Pre-flop you are raising a bet that has been posted blind, hence the name.

JonPKibble 09-20-2005 01:55 PM

Technically a minimum raise is the amount of the previous raise --- but since I'm guessing this question is meant in the realm of home games, it really is up to the host.

I have played in a home game where the minimum raise is the big blind. Yes, that's not how it's stated in Robert's Rules of Poker, but those are the house rules.

Incidentally, I have not returned to that game in a long time.

masse75 09-20-2005 06:27 PM

I think these two things are related.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8969/noob4ew.jpg

TomHimself 09-20-2005 06:49 PM

raise to 300 and this thread is ridiculous w/ the amount of false info being posted

John Bedtelyon 09-20-2005 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the post. Moose is correct.

smoore 09-20-2005 07:40 PM

I misread it. postflop bet of 150 must be raised to 300. sorry.

ky70 09-20-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I misread it. postflop bet of 150 must be raised to 300. sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
dido...my bad for the confusion

09-20-2005 10:42 PM

Yup - I misread it as well. Wonder why we all did that?

smoore 09-21-2005 02:52 AM

*couf* edit? *couf*

RobMay 09-21-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*couf* edit? *couf*

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting then that the original post was edited between your first wrong answer at 9.38 and Khabbi's correct answer at 9.41 ... 5 hours after the OP originally asked the question?

And Igkeeper's 'no question about it' reply came after two posts that specifically pointed out that the action was post-flop.

smoore 09-22-2005 12:13 AM

Yeah, I guess so.

Thanks for being forum cop, I appreciate it.

Edit: REALLY appreciate it.

Edit again: heh, my response isn't even "incorrect"... I present correct information, it's just confusing because it doesn't apply...

kinda like the OP's reference to the blinds.

hmm....

f Home Poker, the nits here are worse than the ones in B&M. You guys suck.

tonypaladino 09-22-2005 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Technically a minimum raise is the amount of the previous raise --- but since I'm guessing this question is meant in the realm of home games, it really is up to the host.

I have played in a home game where the minimum raise is the big blind. Yes, that's not how it's stated in Robert's Rules of Poker, but those are the house rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how its such a terrible rule, you feel you have to leave the game.

Zetack 09-22-2005 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

f Home Poker, the nits here are worse than the ones in B&M. You guys suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, hard candies and the occaisional sweet tart. I like to try and make them last as long as possible so I don't chew em.

--Zetack

flatline 09-22-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how its such a terrible rule, you feel you have to leave the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Rules like these are usually the sign of a game you should be at every week. Don't be a know-it-all nit, just be cool, have a good time, and make some easy money.

JonPKibble 09-22-2005 07:57 PM

As long as they don't allow people to raise themselves (i.e. they bet, someone calls, and they then raise after the betting should have been closed) then it is nothing to worry about. If someone wants to re-raise from 1000 to 1100 is that really a bad thing?

flatline 09-22-2005 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as they don't allow people to raise themselves (i.e. they bet, someone calls, and they then raise after the betting should have been closed) then it is nothing to worry about. If someone wants to re-raise from 1000 to 1100 is that really a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason this could be bad is collusion. However, every time I have seen it it just indicates fish. Smile and call with your 2-outer!