Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Am I getting too cocky? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=337012)

bicyclekick 09-14-2005 09:09 PM

Am I getting too cocky?

(By thinking i can limp J9s here?)

Party 100/200 - full table. I'm up a few bucks but only been playing maybe a half hour.

Chiplederer (25/12/1.76) limps utg, I limp 2 spots later with J9 of spades, folded to Durress (tag) who completes, Fucngr8t (29/17/1.41) checks his option in the bb. I've played quite a few hands with Fucng8t but they've all been raised pots. I've been making some very good plays vs him and have been keeping him off balance by checking a lot of flops after being the PFR because he's a huge flop check/raiser. His flop c/r % is 3, while his turn and river c/r %'s are pretty low.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checked to me and I bet, sb folds, fucng8t calls, utg folds.
Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
he checks, I bet, he calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He checks. bk?

SA125 09-14-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Am I getting too cocky?

In these sposts against an agro player (where it's my only chance of winning) I fire the last bullet way too often.

RED_RAIN 09-14-2005 09:34 PM

I would check behind as he's not folding any hand you beat, nor do I think he lays down any hand that can not win.

I think he is likely to have 5s-3s. Plus I want the info about what hand he has in an unraised pot that he is check/calling down.

The value of seeing his hand is worth more to me than the chance he check/raising me and I don't get to see his hand even if that's a small chance.

jgorham 09-14-2005 09:38 PM

Sounds like this player would have checkraised that flop with an A high flush draw. I would check behind and hope he has smaller spades.

ggbman 09-14-2005 10:02 PM

I think these siutations are very instinctual, so i wont tell what i would do here. I would tell you that i would be surprised if you can make money limping here in the long run, even in the 30 game.

worm33 09-14-2005 10:26 PM

If its a good table the limps fine. If he is a huge flop checkraiser its hard to put him on a hand here. Sounds like he really likes to define his hands, so I would believe he would checkraise the flop with a flush draw or an 8. Probably a bad queen. I check

andyfox 09-14-2005 10:31 PM

That river overcard is often a good one to continue a bluff with. Since he doesn't c/r the river very often, I think I'd give it a shot.

Stuck 09-14-2005 10:39 PM

Naw, you've always been too cocky.

mike l. 09-14-2005 11:12 PM

when im probably calling someone down because i think they might be bluffing and they bet the river even though it's an overcard i love it because it just further justifies my read that theyre bluffing.

Justin A 09-15-2005 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check behind as he's not folding any hand you beat, nor do I think he lays down any hand that can not win.

I think he is likely to have 5s-3s. Plus I want the info about what hand he has in an unraised pot that he is check/calling down.

The value of seeing his hand is worth more to me than the chance he check/raising me and I don't get to see his hand even if that's a small chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

DcifrThs 09-15-2005 12:06 AM

if there was EVER a river to fire again. thats it.

Barron

mmcd 09-15-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing until I realized he must've meant 55-33, not 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Klepton 09-15-2005 12:22 AM

would an 8 c/r the flop?

i think he is confused by your limp and decided to call down.

the only hand that folds that beats you is A high, and i can't really see him having that.

but no you're not getting too cocky.

Lawrence Ng 09-15-2005 05:09 AM

Bet.

Btw, where's the cocky part?

Lawrence

bicyclekick 09-15-2005 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

The limping J9s mp1 after a limper.

Your Mom 09-15-2005 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In these sposts against an agro player (where it's my only chance of winning) I fire the last bullet way too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-15-2005 05:44 AM

I would def bet this river - but then again I probably bluff a little more than I should.

[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's implying it's "cocky" to limp J9s in EP, with the expectation that he'll be able to make up for the marginal/incorrect preflop call with his stellar post-flop playing skillz.

09-15-2005 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha i was right. too bad i take too long to reply [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

bicyclekick 09-15-2005 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha i was right. too bad i take too long to reply [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I only said it at the top line of the thread. Don't know why it eluded so many people.

DeeJ 09-15-2005 06:03 AM

I reckon he has an 8 and doesn't believe you have the Q.

Or Kx, maybe in spades and is planning an ambush.

will he fold the river often enough here? Probably, since there are two cards he probably doesn't like showing, so I bet and fold to a raise.

Would he think I would maybe limping with a Queen or King? That's probably the key judgement here. He probably appreciates you also fire with blanks now and then.

DeeJ 09-15-2005 06:05 AM

but if he thinks bk has become too cocky, then he might just call down with his Qx to extract the max.

PokerBob 09-15-2005 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it's borderline.

AceHigh 09-15-2005 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when im probably calling someone down because i think they might be bluffing and they bet the river even though it's an overcard i love it because it just further justifies my read that theyre bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If BK had raised preflop, he "might" get a laydown because the opponent "might" be afraid an overplayed AK got there. But since he's just another limper, he's gonna get called.

stoxtrader 09-15-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bet.

Lawrence
IMO it's borderline.
I love this stuff. Find something about your game that may not be tight.

This is an easy limp for me, I would probably also limp 98s, 87s, and T8s....BUT I have no idea if that is good or not, and isolating my rates here with PT probably doesnt help much either. hmmmmmmmmmmmm anyone else?

ike 09-15-2005 10:52 AM

It'd have to be a passive game for me to limp those ones you just listed. But unless its a VERY (3bets multiway preflop often) aggressive game I'm playing the J9s. Again, I'm totally guessing about where the line between +EV and -EV is here. How bad of an Axs will you play here?

shmahappens 09-15-2005 10:53 AM

I think he is likely to have 5s-3s.
I'm laughing at this post, and BK knows why.

The way that game was playing this doesn't seem too bad, as at the time it got damn loose when ep's limped - 5 to a raised pot at 1/2? c'mon

stoxtrader 09-15-2005 10:54 AM

I'd overlimp down to A5s here.

andyfox 09-15-2005 11:49 AM

He's betting this river after his opponent checks. There's a difference in this than in betting when an overcard hits when you're first to act. Then an opponent would be more suspicious since he bet right into the overcard. Betting behind the check carries more weight. Also, some guys decide they're calling the turn but might not call a river bet, reasoning that their opponent would fire one more shot on the turn without a hand, but would likely give up on the river.

Not a clear decision, especially since bk's opponent might think he would have raised pre-flop with a hand that contained a king. But, like I say, I think I'd give it a shot. I guess the predicament he now finds himself in is why bk thought he might be getting a bit "cocky" limping with J-9s to begin with.

geormiet 09-15-2005 12:32 PM

I check. He doesn't have a particular reason to assume you have a K (i.e. you didn't raise pf) and therefore that "scare card" which isn't so much of a scare card will not cause him to fold a pair - not that it's likely that he's paired anyway based on his play so far.

He could easily have spades, and since you beat most spade draws, don't bet the river.