Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The lottery is +EV (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336011)

sfer 09-13-2005 03:29 PM

The lottery is +EV

I just bought (partially) a lottery ticket for the first time and it's a good move. Everyone at work is buying a share of a ticket (apparently the jackpot in NY is high right now) at the urging of one of our admins. If they won and I was the guy who didn't get rich because I made a smart gamble, I would have to kill myself. Thus, the infinitesimal probability of not having to kill myself tomorrow is +EV.

bravos1 09-13-2005 03:31 PM

Re: The lottery is +EV

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought (partially) a lottery ticket for the first time and it's a good move. Everyone at work is buying a share of a ticket (apparently the jackpot in NY is high right now) at the urging of one of our admins. If they won and I was the guy who didn't get rich because I made a smart gamble, I would have to kill myself. Thus, the infinitesimal probability of not having to kill myself tomorrow is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys all share in ONE ticket?

IndieMatty 09-13-2005 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used this line forever. I guilted my ex-coworkers to keep me in their pool. I am very serious, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

sfer 09-13-2005 03:33 PM

I don't know, dude. I just gave her $1 and told her to pick my numbers.

siccjay 09-13-2005 03:34 PM

Yea, I'm sure they put up like 10 cents a piece.

smokingrobot 09-13-2005 03:34 PM

are they planning on not giving out bonues this year or something?

09-13-2005 03:34 PM

good move but be warned that there is quite a bit of legal jurisprudence on lottery agreements among friends/co-workers. there is a chance your agreement might not consitute a contract in the eyes of the court.

kerssens 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

This is just a recipe for disaster. I especially like how after the tickets are bought everyone sits around and talks about how they'll spend their share.

manpower 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Office pools generally buy many tickets, then if any of the tickets win, the money is split between everyone in the pool.

TheCroShow 09-13-2005 03:35 PM

yet another retard uses +EV in a -EV fashion....

bravos1 09-13-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Office pools generally buy many tickets, then if any of the tickets win, the money is split between everyone in the pool.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a joke.... just playing off of sfer's wording in the OP.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 09-13-2005 03:38 PM

huge lottos like power ball have "filthy-rich implied odds" with small risk (couple of bucks).

manpower 09-13-2005 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a joke.... just playing off of sfer's wording in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, whatever. Maybe my explaination will be able to help some other poor fool instead. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

sfer 09-13-2005 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have to hide your video games?

Bluffoon 09-13-2005 03:42 PM

I was in an office pool for the New Jersey Lottery at my last job. About six months after I leave I am reading in the paper and I see that they hit.

peterchi 09-13-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

mmbt0ne 09-13-2005 03:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Everyone at work is buying a share of a ticket (apparently the jackpot in NY is high right now) at the urging of one of our admins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if NY is part of Mega-Millions, but if you are, it's $200M tonight.

bravos1 09-13-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO PWNED!

shant 09-13-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys even pay attention to this guy. He's a 20+ year old gamer with a Dawson's Creek avatar. What can he post that is going to be worth reading anyway. If I wasn't such a nice guy he'd already be on ignore.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-13-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
POTD

PITTM 09-13-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys even pay attention to this guy. He's a 20+ year old gamer with a Dawson's Creek avatar. What can he post that is going to be worth reading anyway. If I wasn't such a nice guy he'd already be on ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i was going to respond and say how wrong he was, but then i realized i would probably just be wasting my time. bummer.

rj

lastsamurai 09-13-2005 03:48 PM

YOu could always use them for gambling losses for your tax write off.

peterchi 09-13-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i was going to respond and say how wrong he was, but then i realized i would probably just be wasting my time. bummer.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]
How come I can't find your avatar on her website? I swear I went through every one of those little videos. Like 20 or so. None of them were quite as good as your avatar.

Boobs. I like boobs.

My gf has Cs. They're nice. I never thought I'd date a girl with boobs that big. Actually we've been kinda off-and-on, leaning towards on right now but not quite.

Boobs.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-13-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My gf has Cs. They're nice. I never thought I'd date a girl with boobs that big. Actually we've been kinda off-and-on, leaning towards on right now but not quite.

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to start a thread so we can help you.

PITTM 09-13-2005 03:55 PM

see the thread "my avatar faq" from yesterday, im sure its in there i you look at my previous posts.

rj

peterchi 09-13-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to start a thread so we can help you.

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHA

nah i'd rather just ramble in this one. It's my way of voicing disagreement with dumb comments like Cro's.

and at first I thought you meant I should start a thread so you can help me find boobs. heh.

peterchi 09-13-2005 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see the thread "my avatar faq" from yesterday, im sure its in there i you look at my previous posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
hm. Maybe I just suck at internet. Your faq only has the webpage, which I already looked through.

B Dids 09-13-2005 04:08 PM

I was in this situation once and didn't buy the ticket, and it was scary. Next time, I buy the ticket.

PocketJokers72 09-13-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe I'm just not getting the concept...

posted odds from Mega-Millions website:

odds of hitting 5 numbers +1 mega-ball (Jackpot) = 1 in 175,711,536

current jackpot: 200,000,000 ++

If you were to purchase 1 ticket, for $1, then it is +EV, no?

If you are splitting shares like the OP, then it isn't?

Either way, the implied odds are worth the gamboool.

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

taxes make it -EV?

stabn 09-13-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get the whole 175 million?

stabn 09-13-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

taxes make it -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

As does lump sum payment and possibility of sharing the jackpot.

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 05:24 PM

i don't think it matters. i'll be playing, regardless of the odds. 5 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me, and if i win, i can have my driver do circles around you in my brand new maybach.

stabn 09-13-2005 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think it matters. i'll be playing, regardless of the odds. 5 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me, and if i win, i can have my driver do circles around you in my brand new maybach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawn.

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you yawn because you're jealous

mblax10 09-13-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time Mega Millions was in the $175,000,000 range (about 3 months ago) I did some rough EV calculations taking into consideration a lump sum payout &amp; taxes. Buying a ticket becomes EV neutral when the Jackpot ~$285,000,000. Powerball has fewer numbers and becomes neutral ~$200,000,000. That being said I have 5 mega millions tickets for tonight.

Luzion 09-13-2005 08:31 PM

Whats that movie where a bunch of friends win the lottery chipping in weekly? It ends with one friend killing all the other friends gruesomely so they can keep all the money. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JihadOnTheRiver 09-13-2005 08:36 PM

anybody know anybody personally that's won a big lottery score? i plan on doing it soon, just gotta find somebody to mentor me when i'm retarded rich....

pokerdirty 09-13-2005 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time Mega Millions was in the $175,000,000 range (about 3 months ago) I did some rough EV calculations taking into consideration a lump sum payout &amp; taxes. Buying a ticket becomes EV neutral when the Jackpot ~$285,000,000. Powerball has fewer numbers and becomes neutral ~$200,000,000. That being said I have 5 mega millions tickets for tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this include the odds if you hit 5 numbers, 4 numbers, and all the other [censored] you can win with as well?

AndysDaddy 09-13-2005 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is still too low. You must also factor in that the higher the jackpot the more likely you are to split the pot with one or more other winners. Occasionally you hear about these huge pots being won by a single person, but usually its two or more.
--
Scott