Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   College, Music Major? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335448)

theBruiser500 09-12-2005 09:12 PM

College, Music Major?

I don't understand what the deal is with being a music major in college. It seems like a lot of the instruction you need to learn to play an instrument would need to be 1 on 1 type stuff that isn't fitted well for classrooms, cirriculums or college. How does being a music major work?

smokingrobot 09-12-2005 09:15 PM

Re: College, Music Major?

music major doesnt necessarily imply an instrument or performance.

there are a lot of music majors who could be solely devoted to musicology, which is a study of music itself and not merely from a theoretical point of view.

there are ear training classes, compositional classes, theory classes etc etc.

as for a performance major, it allows you to study your instrument a LOT and make [censored] loads of cash playing around the world w/ kurt masar and stuff.

augie00 09-12-2005 09:17 PM

Music is much more broad than the performance of an instrument.

smokingrobot 09-12-2005 09:19 PM

i looked into going to music school instead of the place i ended up goin...

although im probably going to end up taking post undergrad studies... like individual classes but not for credit.

so at Uarts, they have a program in digital music in regard to film, video games, etc.

Brainwalter 09-12-2005 09:25 PM

My roommate is a music major. In addition to music theory classes and music history/appreciation classes that are well-suited for classrooms, he also has to take 1-on-1 lessons every semester for a significant percentage of his class hours.

vulturesrow 09-12-2005 09:28 PM

Its very important to learn the intricacies of being a high school band teacher.

turnipmonster 09-12-2005 10:06 PM

hey bruiser,
majoring in music is about a lot more than playing an instrument. there are different types of degrees you can get, performance, composition, etc. I went to school for jazz performance, and had to take ear training, music theory, arranging, counterpoint (composition), private lessons, several different ensembles, etc. there are lots of things that can be taught in a classroom just like any other subject.

Al P 09-12-2005 10:11 PM

So who makes better musicians in the end; previous students or those who just pick up a guitar and start playing?

2+2 wannabe 09-12-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its very important to learn the intricacies of being a high school band teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

KDawgCometh 09-12-2005 10:45 PM

I was a jazz performance major for two years. THere is a lot of stuff that we had to do. In fact, compared to many academic majors, music majors probably had much more work to do then most. I had to take jazz theory, which was extremely hard(but very cool and fun), learn piano(much harder then it sounds), various performance based classes like two small group combos a semester and big band once a week for 3 1/2 hours and sectional work for 2 hours a week. I also had to take a fundemantals course that was predominatly ear training and composition courses. To go on top of that I needed to make sure that I got in at least 6 hours of practicing a day along with two academic courses a semester. A music major is not an easy major at all, but it sure was fun, though I was a major in a form of music that is thankless as many people seem to think that crappy smooth jazz is the main form of jazz that is out there these days

MercTec 09-12-2005 10:48 PM

I was a Music Technology major. In addition to the requisite ear training, theory, music history, etc...i had to take electronics, recording technology, audio for video, acoustics, off the top of my head.
They we also needed to be in performace ensembles each year and 1 on 1 training in our main instrument as well.
Its a pretty heavy load. The way the squeeze in all the classes is by making them 1 or 2, and even sometimes 0 credits....yet still required. There were semesters that I had 9 classes. Fun stuff.

KDawgCometh 09-12-2005 10:48 PM

which school did you study at? I studied at Rutgers' Mason Gross under Ralph Bowen(tenor sax was my instrument)

turnipmonster 09-12-2005 10:51 PM

it really depends. if you want to be an actual working musician that can perform in lots of different situations (i.e. club dates, musicals, sideman gigs) then there's really no contest, the way to do that is go to school for it. for jazz and classical music there really aren't too many famous people these days that didn't go to music school.

that said, a lot of them didn't need to go to music school at all. brad mehldau, who's definitely the greatest jazz pianist of his generation, went to school where I went and apparently totally didn't need to be there as he was already incredible at 19.

for singer songwriter and rock type stuff I think it's the opposite, most good bands don't meet in music school, they just write songs and play a lot. being able to make a living as a singer songwriter is a combination of winning the lottery and being the hardest working person ever though, it's not like you can bank on a career. most people who are in rock bands and are trying to "make it" also work random day jobs for years and years and years before they get signed.

for people who know that music is what they want to do with their lives and they won't ever do anything else, music school is almost definitely the way to go.

turnipmonster 09-12-2005 10:53 PM

cool man! I went to the new school (guitar). rutgers has a great program with a lot of history, ted dunbar was a legend. I studied with vic juris for a minute, he teaches at rutgers too I think.

theBruiser500 09-12-2005 11:04 PM

thanks all. music class sounds kind of interesting, i don't think umass amherst allows people to take thos4e classes casually though. it appears i need some sort of music major or minor to get into everyone one of them. maybe i'll just sit in on something and see what it's like.

KDawgCometh 09-12-2005 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool man! I went to the new school (guitar). rutgers has a great program with a lot of history, ted dunbar was a legend. I studied with vic juris for a minute, he teaches at rutgers too I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, vic started teaching my freshman year because of Ted sudden death in may before my first semester. I also studied with Bill Fielder and Kenny Barron a bit too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. The New School is a great school. I thought about going there, but I didn't want a full conservatory type place when I was choosing schools, but the connections you probably got at the new school were sick

nothumb 09-13-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So who makes better musicians in the end; previous students or those who just pick up a guitar and start playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my majors in college was Music Theory & Composition, so I'm not a particularly well-trained player so much as a decent composer. However I have to say that I'm very glad I explored the instruments I play (bass and guitar) on my own prior to learning music theory. My feel for the instrument and the way I think of it is very natural to me, and the other knowledge and skills I have were laid over that foundation. I feel like having your most basic familiarity with the instrument shaped by someone else leaves you at their mercy in terms of how you relate to it.

Just my $.02, I'm pretty rusty anyway.

NT

smokingrobot 09-13-2005 01:19 AM

it might help to take a beginner's theory and maybe some piano lessons, just to get a feel for reading music etc.