Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   nyc poker rooms (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=332218)

09-08-2005 05:00 AM

nyc poker rooms

i am a poker dealer in nyc, recently arrested for the 1st time. its time to stop this . players, dealers and owners need to all step up and fight. none of us feel we are doing anything wrong, and i'll be damned if i have to spend one more night in jail for holding a deck of cards. poker is not a crime, yet the more owners, players and dealers plea out or ignore the situation, the more the police feel they have a right to raid any place they want.
members of the nyc poker community are starting a website soon for the legalization of cardrooms

(advertising removed by JBB)

JonPKibble 09-08-2005 10:38 AM

Re: nyc poker rooms

[ QUOTE ]
i am a poker dealer in nyc, recently arrested for the 1st time. its time to stop this . players, dealers and owners need to all step up and fight. none of us feel we are doing anything wrong, and i'll be damned if i have to spend one more night in jail for holding a deck of cards. poker is not a crime, yet the more owners, players and dealers plea out or ignore the situation, the more the police feel they have a right to raid any place they want.
members of the nyc poker community are starting a website soon for the legalization of cardrooms

(advertising removed by JBB)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in NY State, poker IS a crime. It is in most states. It's good to see the poker community is taking a step to try and legitimize poker, but legalization is a far cry. Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

BottlesOf 09-08-2005 10:57 AM

Actually, not really. Poker isn't the crime, it's profiting from it that is.

Legal precedence

Article where DA's office clarifies that playing poker isn't ilegal

SheridanCat 09-08-2005 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Regards,

T

The Armchair 09-08-2005 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas. But good luck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it's that... Constitution thing. Gives you the right to remain silent (that's from freedom of speech) and the right to yell fire in a crowded theater as long as it's an American flag that's on fire.

TakeMeToTheRiver 09-08-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling will always be controlled by the feds in most areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what particular area are you talking about?

Is the subject matter area or georgraphic area?

burningyen 09-08-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, it's that... Constitution thing. Gives you the right to remain silent (that's from freedom of speech) and the right to yell fire in a crowded theater as long as it's an American flag that's on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn you and your legal mumbo-jumbo!

On a more serious note, did the OP include an address for the website? If it's a legit advocacy group and not just a cardroom shill, I don't get why the address would be deleted.

ChrisAJ 09-08-2005 03:27 PM

The only thing really controlled by the feds when it comes to gambling is whether or not taxes are paid on winnings. I don't think there's a federal statute against gambling.

Almost all gambling laws (typically known as "morals" clauses) are state laws. Unless some in Congress get Internet Gambling bills passed...

JonPKibble 09-08-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, not really. Poker isn't the crime, it's profiting from it that is.

Legal precedence

Article where DA's office clarifies that playing poker isn't ilegal

[/ QUOTE ]

Operating a cardroom and charging membership qualifies as profit.

BottlesOf 09-08-2005 04:23 PM

Of course it does. What's your point?

JonPKibble 09-08-2005 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it does. What's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP's comments seemed to ignore this very fact:

"poker is not a crime, yet the more owners, players and dealers plea out or ignore the situation, the more the police feel they have a right to raid any place they want."

Of course they can raid an illegal poker club, or am I missing something here?

W. Deranged 09-08-2005 05:34 PM

Pr333,

Let me just say that I think that dealers in the clubs I've played in in NY are without question some of the nicest, most courteous, interesting, and competent dealers I've had the pleasure to play with. You guys do an awesome, and risky, job, and all us NYC poker players really appreciate that.

Luv2DriveTT 09-08-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pr333,

Let me just say that I think that dealers in the clubs I've played in in NY are without question some of the nicest, most courteous, interesting, and competent dealers I've had the pleasure to play with. You guys do an awesome, and risky, job, and all us NYC poker players really appreciate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen one really competent dealer ever in NYC, thats it. But you are right, they are awesome none the less.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

W. Deranged 09-08-2005 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pr333,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen one really competent dealer ever in NYC, thats it. But you are right, they are awesome none the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Competence is sort of a state of mind when it comes to poker dealing... Mike C. at the SC, for example, makes more minor mistakes than most but I still consider him to be a master of his craft...

And, remember, my main basis for comparison if Foxwoods...

seeker 09-08-2005 09:15 PM

If there was a federal statute against gambling, we wouldn't have Las Vegas.

arod15 09-08-2005 10:19 PM

PM this this has to stop. I hate being afraid to get my chips confiscated that would suck.

Luv2DriveTT 09-08-2005 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And, remember, my main basis for comparison if Foxwoods...

[/ QUOTE ]

in that case, they are all living gods.