Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB race (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329190)

TomHimself 09-03-2005 09:38 PM

Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB race

discuss

CardSharpCook 09-03-2005 10:02 PM

Re: Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB

So it sounds like you have El Capo with 6 players all playing the same account vs JJ (who I assume plays by himself) vs Gigabet (who also seems to play by himself). Some bet. Sounds like a fools bet to me.

Lloyd 09-03-2005 10:10 PM

Interesting. Didn't know that Colson and Schaefer were in the action as well.

TomHimself 09-03-2005 10:11 PM

yea its intersting but i dont think bigslick had any idea el capitano account was gonna get pretty much hijacked for the rest of the month.

edit- so the team was
thor
unknown
t soprano
noah
colson
schaefer

did i get it right lol?

Lloyd 09-03-2005 10:18 PM

I also thought that Marcel Luske and Noah Boeken play under El Capitano.

CardSharpCook 09-03-2005 10:25 PM

BigSlick got HOSED!!! Basically this was all just a big setup to get 100K out of BS.

Schaefer 09-03-2005 10:50 PM

Really, El Cap wasn't about battling anyone. The bet had nothing to do with El Cap or JJ winning TLB. It had everything to do with Giga not winning. The whole El Cap thing was just to cover our bases in case JJ fell off and Giga went on a run. Clearly it elevated the level of competition and JJ really stepped up huge. Believe it or not I was rooting hard for him to pull it off and I'm really glad that he did it. Mad props, sir.

Schaefer

Schaefer 09-03-2005 10:54 PM

I can't say for sure since I didn't originate the bet but I don't think Big Slick got set up at all. I think he learned why you don't make a 100K bet without covering all of your bases first. AND, it's not like El Cap won TLB and Giga came in 2nd. JJ kicked butt and BigSlick's horse was down around 10th. How did BigSlick get HOSED?

Schaefer

Lloyd 09-03-2005 11:00 PM

I will say that this pretty much makes PS TLB a complete joke. Obviously it wasn't against the rules so no big deal from that standpoint. But the rules should probably be changed although I'm sure it would be difficult to enforce. But it's pretty tough to learn how to play against someone if the person playing changes. And I also read another situation where El Cap was taken advantage of allowing Boeken to essentially have two chanced to play in the Sunday tourney.

CardSharpCook 09-03-2005 11:03 PM

What do you call it when you get roped into a bet for 100K when you were making a bravado offfer of 1K while drinking? What do you call it when an older more experienced gambler tricks a young kid into taking a bad bet at horrible odds especially when the young kid doesn't understand all the rules? Absolutely he got hosed. That he entered into the bet of his own free (drunken) will is accepted. That the El Capo group didn't cheat is understood. But clearly they took advantage of him. He got hosed.

CSC

colson10 09-03-2005 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't say for sure since I didn't originate the bet but I don't think Big Slick got set up at all. I think he learned why you don't make a 100K bet without covering all of your bases first. AND, it's not like El Cap won TLB and Giga came in 2nd. JJ kicked butt and BigSlick's horse was down around 10th. How did BigSlick get HOSED?

Schaefer

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh, chill out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The thing that I find the most entertaining about the whole bet is that Bigslick didn't even want odds. This was half way through the month when it was clear that Gigabet was a substantial underdog.

TomHimself 09-03-2005 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Schaefer

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh, chill out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The thing that I find the most entertaining about the whole bet is that Bigslick didn't even want odds. This was half way through the month when it was clear that Gigabet was a substantial underdog.

[/ QUOTE ]was he drunk????????

shaniac 09-03-2005 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed by this entire tale. It seems totally out of character (from what I know of Slick) to make a bet this big, much less without any discernable edge.

I've heard that "Cman" was in fact MazeOrBowie. Any truth to this?

CardSharpCook 09-03-2005 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BigSlick789, the baby-faced poker protégé, showed up at Turning Stone full of hell; on this particular night, it was beer in Bushman’s room.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Big Slick started the Big Talk: the greatness of Gigabet, Gig’s ability to overcome any odds. BigSlick was ready to bet any takers $1000 straight up that Gig would finish first on the monthly TLB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it doesn't explicitly say he was drunk, but it certainly sounds like he was. It sounds like he was making "big talk" while drinking. We all know "that guy"

Schaefer 09-03-2005 11:25 PM

Haha, I am calm. For some reason my tone of writing always makes it seem like I'm on edge. CSC you make some good points and I agree with a lot of what you said. However, it's not like he tried to back out the morning after of whatever. He liked the bet with a conviction that really had me worried. The bet seemed so silly but he and Giga were both sooooo sure of themselves that I was a bit nervous something was up. Lloyd, I agree that the rules need to be changed. Sorry if I sound defensive, I'm really in a great mood!

Schaefer

shaniac 09-03-2005 11:27 PM

Damn Schaefer, chill out.

Bad enough that you helped to cheat big slick out of 100K, now you're getting all *touchy* about it. Sheeeesh.

Btw, did members of team El Capitano get a piece of the 100K?

TomHimself 09-03-2005 11:31 PM

well apparently big slick was not drunk the bet was consumated the next day. edit- according to thor

TomHimself 09-03-2005 11:32 PM

schaefer did you play as el cap in ur home in seattle or somewhere else?

Schaefer 09-03-2005 11:32 PM

SCREW YOU GUYS!

The players were also the ones who put up the money so everyone won however much money they put up.

Schaefer

Schaefer 09-03-2005 11:34 PM

I live in Carlsbad, baby! I don't understand the point of your question.

Schaefer

TomHimself 09-03-2005 11:36 PM

i wasnt sure if the 6 of you played under the same setup on the same computer, but i guess you all had dual monitor setups anyway

shaniac 09-03-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SCREW YOU GUYS!

The players were also the ones who put up the money so everyone won however much money they put up.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the bet took place between the memebers of Team Capitano and the rather precocious BigSlick789? Can you reveal who put up the bulk of the money and/or how much your share was?

Also, how do you slepp at night? That's all for now.

sirio11 09-03-2005 11:40 PM

Re: Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB race

As if the original bet by Gigabet wasn't ridiculuos enough, somebody found a way to make an even more ridiculuos bet.

Hopefully there is a lesson for all the teenagers in the forum that feel they have so much "gamble" inside.

Schaefer 09-03-2005 11:40 PM

Too funny.

I don't like putting up information about others. Sadly, my share wasn't too big.

CardSharpCook 09-03-2005 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how do you slepp at night? That's all for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Of course how do any of us sleep at night. Taking money from rubes is what we do. Wish I coulda had a piece of this action.

shaniac 09-03-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As if the original bet by Gigabet wasn't ridiculuos enough, somebody found a way to make an even more ridiculuos bet.

Hopefully there is a lesson for all the teenagers in the forum that feel they have so much "gamble" inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's the weird thing. Prior to reading the account of this bet, I would have pegged Bigslick as one of the most solid, gamble-free individuals among the legion of teenage-poker-super-geniuses.

I think the real lesson is that there isn't a player out there who is as good as people believe Gigabet is. (And yes, of course I know he's good, but the fact that he convinced others that he was a favorite to win the TLB bet proves my point, I think).

davidross 09-03-2005 11:52 PM

I don't have a problem with people getting fleeced because they made a stupid bet, but I am concerned about the image of impropriety this sends out about online poker. It sure wouldn't take much to spin this so it looks real bad.

Imagine a magazine article describing 6 of the best online players around sharing accounts to win side bets, possible playing on several accounts at the same time, maybe dumping chips to each other. I'm not suggeting any of this happens or happened, but it certainly opens doors for speculation that could do nothing but hurt the game overall.

I guess there is no way to prevent stuff like this, but I sure hope we won't make it so high profile anymore.

MLG 09-03-2005 11:56 PM

I happen to agree that situations where side bets are much higher in value than the actual tournies being played are open invitations to collusion and other forms of cheating. There was nothing unethical here, but with the money involved if these types of bets continue I fear it wont be long until there is.

shaniac 09-04-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess there is no way to prevent stuff like this, but I sure hope we won't make it so high profile anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is: The problem is not that potentially unethical/unfair practices take place in online poker, but that the publicity spawned by them could threaten to scare away the live ones and/or get Elliot Spitzer involved?

The problems with keeping an online poker game honest are legion. There really is no way to do it. If players are entering one tournament on several accounts (and I assume MANY will be for the WCOOP) then the issue is not the fallout from bad-publciity, but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.

MLG 09-04-2005 12:14 AM

Maybe im just being willfully naive, but do you really think there is that much multi-accounting?

Hotrod0823 09-04-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that was happening???? Were the players using ELC still playing under their OWN names??? IN THE SAME TOURNAMENTS????!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Annulus 09-04-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe im just being willfully naive, but do you really think there is that much multi-accounting?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basicallly a nobody in the online poker world and I know for fact that many of the big name online MTT players play multi accounts. Many will admit to playing multi accounts and then when you confront them they act like they did'nt know it was immoral.

Another issue which is disturbing to me is that many of these same players are in constant AOL instant messenger contact during these same tourneys. I'm sure theres some shady shiet going on.

shaniac 09-04-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a real grasp on how much, but yes I think there's a fair amount of it going on. If 2,000 people turn out for WCOOP #1, would it really surprise you if 200 of them were additional accounts? I wouldn't be shocked if the number was actually much higher.

I've never done it, but I know of at least a few people that have. The fact that poker sites either don't or can't police the practice is tantamount to dangling candy in front of a maybe. I consider myself an ethical person and poker player, yet I could see why the temptation to play multiple accounts would be too strong to fade, if given the tools.

Also, I like the term "multiplayering." I coined it, and want to introduce it into the online poker lexicon. Whaddya say?

Edit: I realized I wrote "dangling candy in front of a maybe" but decided to leave it in.

shaniac 09-04-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that was happening???? Were the players using ELC still playing under their OWN names??? IN THE SAME TOURNAMENTS????!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that's what was happening in regards to team El Cap, since I have no idea.

But I'm sure that multiplayering goes on, and I think that's part of the issue that davidross was adressing in his post.

MLG 09-04-2005 12:32 AM

I would be fairly surprised (although in poker it would take an awful lot to shock me) if 10% of the field were additional accounts. To contemplate it being much higher than that is truly scary. Then you might legitimately be running the risk of having two accounts of the same player at the same table. That possibility is much more serious cheating than pretty much anything else i can think of. Interestingly the intention of a person who is multiplayering is probably not to actively collude and consolidate his chips in one of his names, but the fact that that possibility likely arises is quite scary.

TheTimeIsUp 09-04-2005 12:38 AM

I was the only one who played on my account.

Hotrod0823 09-04-2005 12:45 AM

Well Done!

Did you get the bounty money?

shaniac 09-04-2005 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be fairly surprised (although in poker it would take an awful lot to shock me) if 10% of the field were additional accounts. To contemplate it being much higher than that is truly scary. Then you might legitimately be running the risk of having two accounts of the same player at the same table. That possibility is much more serious cheating than pretty much anything else i can think of. Interestingly the intention of a person who is multiplayering is probably not to actively collude and consolidate his chips in one of his names, but the fact that that possibility likely arises is quite scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this idea strike you: 20 dudes in an online cafe in the Ukraine all playing the same MTT.

I pulled the 10% figure out of my arse, but it's something I envisioned as a real possibility. I think the problem is somewhat more generally annoying than the specific potential for someone finding his two accounts at the same table. Even if that player somehow made sure to play his hands the exact way they would have played in a self-interested scenario, the fact remains that said player has a somewhat enormous advantage over anyone who only occupies one seat.

I haven't seen one online poker site come out and discuss security procedures to limit this practice; maybe it's because such policing would be effectively impossible and discussing it would merely highlight the inability of sites to thoroughly regulate its tournaments.

Then again, maybe it doesn't matter. Tournaments are ehuge crapshoots anyway, no matter how many players you put in.

ilikeaces 09-04-2005 04:11 AM

I wish I could get this type of action on this ridiculous of a bet.

mts 09-04-2005 10:33 AM

giga went behind bigslicks back and threw the month because he had a big chunk against himself

i dont know