Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Call? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=324618)

GTSamIAm 08-28-2005 05:28 PM

Call?

I just sat down and posted blind.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 2 BB

TwoShedsJackson 08-28-2005 05:30 PM

Re: Call?

Don't post in MP3. Seeing as it's going to be heads-up and you know nothing about your opponent, I fold.

Paxosmotic 08-28-2005 05:31 PM

Raise preflop.

Vote4Pedro 08-28-2005 05:31 PM

I'd have raised when it was folded around to you

crownjules 08-28-2005 05:31 PM

Yeah, I would also fold this. It's a decent drawing hand that I would call with one other person in to see what the flop brings, but I don't want to take this hand into a HU situation.

Taxmanrick 08-28-2005 05:33 PM

I would have folded, why raise?

Paxosmotic 08-28-2005 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We're getting 2.5:2 on a raise, far better than we get on a blind steal (which is 1.5:2). We only need to fold everyone 44% of the time to show an immediate profit, and you can discount that considerably for the times someone call and we still go on to win the hand. Compare that to the 57% of the time a blind steal needs to succeed and this is a viciously easy raise.

Taxmanrick 08-28-2005 05:39 PM

Is this play only related to the fact that a blind was posted MP and is was folded to hero?

Paxosmotic 08-28-2005 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this play only related to the fact that a blind was posted MP and is was folded to hero?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I'm raising anything even remotely playable if it's folded to my posted blind in MP3, and I don't even need cards to do it from CO.

Taxmanrick 08-28-2005 05:43 PM

Intresting...seems like I remember reading this in SSHE or HEFAP. I'll have to look that up. I usually play the same as I would from the BB. Thanks!

istewart 08-28-2005 05:45 PM

I think I would call. With you checking, SB's range is as wide or wider as if it were folded to the blinds and he raised. I would probably call this against a SB open-raise, and here you still have position and are getting better odds.

mslif 08-28-2005 05:56 PM

Not having any read, I would fold this hand.

mslif 08-28-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have raised when it was folded around to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me why you would have raised this?

Vote4Pedro 08-28-2005 05:59 PM

Check out Pax's responses regarding the math and whatnot

Greg J 08-28-2005 06:03 PM

Basically it has several ways to win. If you raise preflop you can take it down uncontested. If someone calls you have position the rest of the hand with two cards that are very likely to be live. The pot is already artifically inflated b/c there was a poster (the fact that hero put that money there in the first place is irrelevant). And did I mention that in playing this hand out you have the advantage of position the rest of the hand? And you get all this for only 1 sb.

I raise here too.

@bsolute_luck 08-28-2005 06:05 PM

even if you don't raise PRF, i'm calling that raise from SB getting 4:1.

mslif 08-28-2005 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically it has several ways to win. If you raise preflop you can take it down uncontested. If someone calls you have position the rest of the hand with two cards that are very likely to be live. The pot is already artifically inflated b/c there was a poster (the fact that hero put that money there in the first place is irrelevant). And did I mention that in playing this hand out you have the advantage of position the rest of the hand? And you get all this for only 1 sb.

I raise here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

istewart 08-28-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We're getting 2.5:2 on a raise, far better than we get on a blind steal (which is 1.5:2). We only need to fold everyone 44% of the time to show an immediate profit, and you can discount that considerably for the times someone call and we still go on to win the hand. Compare that to the 57% of the time a blind steal needs to succeed and this is a viciously easy raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, but we're getting 2.5:1 (even better).

Rickjohn 08-28-2005 06:38 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
We're getting 2.5:2 on a raise,

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain that please?

Shillx 08-28-2005 06:45 PM

Simple preflop golden rules:

1) Never fold a pocket pair when you have one small bet invested. It makes no difference how the bet gets there, but once it is in the middle you are seeing a flop.

2) Always raise your post when it is folded around to you. Any two cards are worth a raise. And don't say something like "there are too many people to fold out to make it profitable" since you should be posting in the CO everytime (barring a really good table). If you posted in UTG+2 or something then no you should not raise 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but you never should have posted in that spot in the 1st place.

Brad

Paxosmotic 08-28-2005 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff, but we're getting 2.5:1 (even better).

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh you are right! I was doing the math based on a regular raise. This is 2.5:1 and we only need it to work 28.6% of the time to be profitable. Beautiful.

istewart 08-28-2005 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We're getting 2.5:2 on a raise,

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain that please?

[/ QUOTE ]

He fudged it a little, but essentially there are 2.5 small bets in the pot when it is folded to us. If we raise, we are putting in one bet. Therefore we are getting 2.5:1 on a raise, and our raise will show an immediate profit if everyone folds ~29% of the time.

Rickjohn 08-28-2005 06:48 PM

Isn't it 2.5/1 ? and dont you only need to fold them 29% of the time to show an immediate profit?