Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=324066)

warlockjd 08-27-2005 05:10 PM

I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues...

...(fill in the dot dot dot)

I will post mine after a few responses (if there are any).

08-27-2005 05:21 PM

Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues...

..the largest mass-suicide ever would quickly ensue.

Iplayboard 08-27-2005 08:34 PM

All Drugs would be legal.
The US would have never set foot in Iraq.
W. would get to spend 12 months a year on his Crawford ranch.
The color-coded terror chart would be scrapped.
Nobody would ever watch Fox News except when they were high and wanted a good laugh at the walking hypocrisy that is Bill O'Reilly.
Organized religion would cease to exist.

Cumulonimbus 08-27-2005 11:34 PM

Re: I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issue

[ QUOTE ]
All Drugs would be legal.
The US would have never set foot in Iraq.
W. would get to spend 12 months a year on his Crawford ranch.
The color-coded terror chart would be scrapped.
Nobody would ever watch Fox News except when they were high and wanted a good laugh at the walking hypocrisy that is Bill O'Reilly.
Organized religion would cease to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach!

PorscheNGuns 08-28-2005 12:05 AM

typical hippie college kid response

drugs, drugs, hating on bill o'reilly, getting high, more drugs, and umm, down with the establishment.

Go back to your drum circle

-Matt

FishHooks 08-28-2005 01:00 AM

haha nice post

lehighguy 08-28-2005 02:52 AM

"everyone would agree with me"

Is the response you'll get from everyone. If you've come to the conclusions you've come to based on your experiences and inquiry it is difficult to assume another would not come to the same conclusions given the same information and inquiry.

The only reason you could not reach the above statement would be if you did not have confidence in your own believes, which brings the question then of why they are your believes to begin with. Even on "value" judgements you come to your own conclusions based on certain premises you believe to be correct.

Iplayboard 08-28-2005 05:36 AM

- The United States wastes tons of money fighting the war on drugs. Our prisons are filled mostly with non-violent drug offenders, which leads to lighter sentencing and quicker paroles for violent offenders. I get high yet still maintain a "high" 3.78 GPA and have a normal social life. My actions don't affect anyone but me. I don't need the government protecting me from myself.

- The War on Iraq was based on false pretenses and blatently false intelligence. More than half of Americans believed that Iraq had ties to 9/11 at the beginning of the occupation. That is horribly ignorant. Anyone with an IQ above the retardation line could see that Iraq had nothing to do with Sep 11.

-If the public was totally educated they would see that Bush is a Jesus freak who feels the need to tell everyone else how to live morally, through Congressional legislation. An arrogant man who sees things in black and white, almost like a small child, and whose maverick global actions threaten international peace and US perception.

- O'Reilly is just a big dousche. He gets up on his moral high ground and tells everyone else what's right and wrong, yet ignores his own personal issues. The moral compass for idiots who can't think on their own.

And ya, [censored] the establishment.

cadillac1234 08-28-2005 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

drugs, drugs, hating on bill o'reilly, getting high, more drugs, and umm, down with the establishment.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

a.I haven't done drugs in years and I still think they should be legalized if only to kill the blackmarket, lighten the load on our courts/penal system and to keep crackheads from PITA petty theft.

b. Bill O'reilly shoves dildos in his rectum while talking dirty to producers on the phone...That's about all we need to discuss on that subject

c. Common sense should have told the country that Iraq was a lose-lose situation. A country which can't fly a plane in 2/3rds of it's own airspace is not an imminent threat to the US. We should have let sleeping dogs lie and focused on a pure and simple ass-whooping on AQ, the Taliban and nailed a couple of Saudi Princes to the wall for good measure.

ptmusic 08-28-2005 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. (even though I'm not at all sure you're on target)

-ptmusis

PorscheNGuns 08-28-2005 01:10 PM

OReilly has whats called a "Political Talk Show" where its his job to express his opinion on virtually everything. WTF else do you expect him to do on such a show? You don't like him because you disagree with him. Meanwhile, your moral stance is 'make all drugs legal', 'down with religion', and '[censored] the establishment'.

Like I said, go back to your drum circle

-Matt

superleeds 08-28-2005 05:06 PM

... there would be less poverty in the world, far more money would be spent on health and education, there would be real choices every 4 years as to which kind of government the country wants and pundits wouldn't exist.

08-28-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-

Anyone with an IQ above the retardation line...
Bush is a Jesus freak...
O'Reilly is just a big dousche...
And ya, [censored] the establishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

More than anything, if the public was totally educated on all the issues they would recognize that on each one there are at least two and usually more legitimate views on it. As a result, they probably wouldn't use terms dirogatory terms like "retardation," "Jesus freak," and "dousche," to describe people who don't entirely line up with their thinking.

Posts like this emphasize the ignorance pervading America these days. It doesn't make you appear enlightened. I go to school at the epitome of a "college campus" and the self-righteous talk coming from liberal democrats is just as self-righteous as the self-righteous talk coming from conservative Republicans that cloak all their political objectives in religious rhetoric.

Grow up. Quit calling people names and try to see their side of the issue. Then, talk to them and begin to find a middle ground. If you're unwilling to talk to the "enemy" or find a middle ground, please do everyone a favor and stay out of politics.

Hoi Polloi 08-28-2005 10:28 PM

The world would come to an end.

Cumulonimbus 08-28-2005 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical suit-and-tie stick-up-your-ass depressed and uninformed old-fogie response.

08-28-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OReilly has whats called a "Political Talk Show" where its his job to express his opinion on virtually everything. WTF else do you expect him to do on such a show? You don't like him because you disagree with him. Meanwhile, your moral stance is 'make all drugs legal', 'down with religion', and '[censored] the establishment'.

Like I said, go back to your drum circle

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many well documented cases where Bill O'Reilly has simply lied about things. Small things, big things, it doesn't matter-- he will never tell the truth when the truth hurts his position, imo.

I am fairly liberal (I am pro-life and mostly pro-trade, but other than that I am more or less a leftist), and one of my favorite commentators on tv is Tucker Carlson. I don't hardly ever agree with him, but he seems a bit more intelligent than most. Bill O'Reilly is unintelligent and, frankly, unethical, as his sexual harrassment scandal indicated.

08-28-2005 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More than anything, if the public was totally educated on all the issues they would recognize that on each one there are at least two and usually more legitimate views on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever happened to the subjunctive mood? "If the public WERE totally educated..." b/c it is a conditional contrary to fact. But I digress...

As for your substantive claim, are you advocating relativism? It seems like if someone were in possession of 100% of the facts on an issue, there would be one and only one correct opinion. For example, the Catholic Church is either God's pilgrim church on Earth or it is not. Genocide is either morally acceptable or it is not (abortion too). Saddam Hussein was either stockpiling weapons of mass destruction or he was not. Bush's tax cuts either were the best possible way to stimulate the economy or they were not. I could continue, but I won't.

If you believe that a person in possession of 100% of the facts on an issue could still form two reasonable and mutually exclusive opinions, you are a relativist, and it seems to me that that kind of world view is self-refuting. This is because if two mutually exclusive assertions about the world can both be true, than it is simultaneously true and not true that two mutually exclusive assertions about the world can both be true.

Iplayboard 08-28-2005 10:51 PM

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."
--George W. Bush commenting to Texas evangelist James Robinson in the run-up to his presidential campaign

"I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed."
Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas

If the Jesus freak shoe fits...

Unlike conservatives, I don't care what an individual does in his/her spare time. Whether it's smoking pot or praying to Christ. I just can't stand when Bush mixes his government with his Jesus. Not everyone of his constituants shares his religious beliefs.

The biggest problem I have with Bush is that he is so steadfast in his belief that he is 100 percent correct in everything he does. Believing in an absolute truth can be potenially damaging. Ancient Chinese proverb, "No matter how far down the wrong path, turn around."

Cumulonimbus 08-29-2005 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."
--George W. Bush commenting to Texas evangelist James Robinson in the run-up to his presidential campaign

"I urge all Texans to answer the call to serve those in need. By volunteering their time, energy or resources to helping others, adults and youngsters follow Christ's message of love and service in thought and deed."
Therefore, I, George W. Bush, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim June 10, 2000, Jesus Day in Texas

If the Jesus freak shoe fits...

Unlike conservatives, I don't care what an individual does in his/her spare time. Whether it's smoking pot or praying to Christ. I just can't stand when Bush mixes his government with his Jesus. Not everyone of his constituants shares his religious beliefs.

The biggest problem I have with Bush is that he is so steadfast in his belief that he is 100 percent correct in everything he does. Believing in an absolute truth can be potenially damaging. Ancient Chinese proverb, "No matter how far down the wrong path, turn around."

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this argument. Kudos.

nothumb 08-29-2005 03:29 AM

...it would cease to fit the definition of 'the public.'

NT

Cyrus 08-29-2005 05:40 AM

You wouldn\'t say

[ QUOTE ]
Bill O'Reilly shoves dildos in his rectum while talking dirty on the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]
If O'Reilly was posting on 2+2 you wouldn't be allowed to say that.

Myrtle 08-29-2005 08:19 AM

Re: You wouldn\'t say

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill O'Reilly shoves dildos in his rectum while talking dirty on the phone.

[/ QUOTE ]
If O'Reilly was posting on 2+2 you wouldn't be allowed to say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

....If O'Reilly was a moderator on 2+2, you would be banned for saying that.

PorscheNGuns 08-29-2005 09:34 AM

And if it were true, you would be telling the truth by saying it.

-Matt

Cumulonimbus 08-29-2005 01:58 PM

If the US public was totally educated on all issues. . . a revolution would occur.

08-29-2005 02:29 PM

Nothing would change.

Wes ManTooth 08-29-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...Quit calling people names and try to see their side of the issue. Then, talk to them and begin to find a middle ground. If you're unwilling to talk to the "enemy" or find a middle ground, please do everyone a favor and stay out of politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close mindedness prevents many from trying to at least understand other points of view before even trying to find a type of middle ground. Beyond being unfortunate for this forum it is more unfortunate for many of the individual posters in it.

Overall ignorance to understanding and comprehension is what may be considered the problem

SheetWise 08-29-2005 03:12 PM

I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues, they would care a lot less about how much money other people made, what they put in their veins, what they believed, and who they shared their ass with. They would also take better care of kids, publicly hang pedophiles, and sentence thieves to life.

Autocratic 08-29-2005 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe if the U.S. public was totally educated on all the issues, they would care a lot less about how much money other people made, what they put in their veins, what they believed, and who they shared their ass with. They would also take better care of kids, publicly hang pedophiles, and sentence thieves to life.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would education affect opinions on penalties?

Iplayboard 08-29-2005 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you ever steal a bicycle or music from the internet, you deserve nothing less than to spend your entire natural life behind bars. Pubic hangings also set a great example for the children. They can be a television boon, Tuesday Night Hangings on Fox anyone?

tolbiny 08-29-2005 09:34 PM

All those Area 51 nuts would be really pissed off- regardless of what they discovered.

SheetWise 08-29-2005 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would education affect opinions on penalties?

[/ QUOTE ]

If people were totally educated they would have complete knowledge. I believe if they had complete knowledge, they would react accordingly.

As an example of incomplete knowledge, I will use theft. I don't think any one of us could calculate what thieves cost us in terms of money, time, inconvenience, loss of liberty, etc. I think if we tried to calculate it, and make a list, it would be many thousands of items long next week and we would still be adding to it ... if we had knowledge of what it was, we would never tolerate it.

SheetWise 08-29-2005 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... you deserve nothing less than to spend your entire natural life behind bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily behind bars. Just separated from civilized society.