Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   CONTINUATOIN BETS on 50NL sucks!!!! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322250)

NiR 08-24-2005 09:35 PM

CONTINUATOIN BETS on 50NL sucks!!!!

nuff said

Allinlife 08-24-2005 09:39 PM

Re: CONTINUATOIN BETS on 50NL sucks!!!!

way to improve your poker and attempt to learn the finer arts of c-bet! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NiR 08-24-2005 09:42 PM

they JUST FREAKIN CALL!!!!

wtfsvi 08-24-2005 09:43 PM

Remember, you are playing against real people. They are all different. There is no such thing as "they".

MINETZ 08-24-2005 09:46 PM

maybe your just not doing it right!

DoomSlice 08-24-2005 09:49 PM

I've found that the only way to get your continuation bets to work is to go all in.

I'm still trying to figure out some kinks in the system though... for some reason it works every time but once.

NiR 08-24-2005 09:51 PM

in 100nl and 200nl yes i do use continuation bets and it is good. as long as i pick the right time. BUT in 50NL... i was 8 tabling and every time i used it heads up i always got freakin called. EVERY TIME. then i have to get defensive and check/fold. unless the couple times i threw in a second bullet but ofcourse those hurt me the most. screw continuation bets in 50NL!!

FourNickel 08-25-2005 12:08 AM

Yeah, I used to have this problem too. They do just call everytime which sucks and makes the fold equity in your semi bluffs pretty much zero. Which in turn makes them unprofitable at 50nl. Just check and hope for a free card that will win you the pot. You gotta just value bet the crap out of them when you have it.

yvesaint 08-25-2005 12:13 AM

Don't c-bet calling stations, 'NUFF SAID.

elus2 08-25-2005 04:07 AM

make continuation bets vs weak-tight players. do not make them vs calling stations as other poster noted. if you want to be raising with big aces and other hands that require you to make continuation bets with a high % of the time postflop then you should pick the right opponents to do them against.

subzero 08-25-2005 10:11 AM

Sucks all the time or sometimes? Maybe you need to choose your spots better? Besides finding the right players, look at the texture of the board. A flop with two suited or connecting cards may have given someone a draw (and the calling station will most likely call). A flop with cards in the "playing zone" (link) is more likely to have paired your opponent. For example, a good situation to fire a continuation bet is when you have AK and the flop is something like J-6-2 (rainbow). Chances are he doesn't have a Jack, so he will fold unimproved. Even if he does have a Jack, he still has to worry about you having an overpair and your hand can still improve.

NYCNative 08-25-2005 03:48 PM

I almost always CB when there is only one caller. It's a very profitable thing, especially if early on someone called or raised me and I wound up showing a winner or at least that the flop did hit me.

KramerTM 08-25-2005 03:53 PM

See... a good poker player takes that information and, instead of whining about it on 2p2, alters his game accordingly. That is valuable information! It means they will also call when you HIT big hands!

I was going to type more, but I lost interest somewhere between "means" and "you."

IamLeach 08-25-2005 04:12 PM

Lets BAN the continuation bet alltogether!!!

They only seem to work on the weakest and most passive players. A continuation bet can only work when you bet out twice any more.

GrunchCan 08-25-2005 04:43 PM

I don't get it. I CB frequently at 25NL and 50NL, and it seems very +EV to me. One thing I will concede is that I usually have to make my CB a full pot-sized bet in order to get the desired effect. This means that almost every flop be I make (~90%?) is a full pot-sized bet or raise.

theblitz 08-25-2005 04:51 PM

Re: CONTINUATION BETS on 50NL sucks!!!!

Was going to say the same thing.

I play $25 NL on Party and $50 at Absolute.
I find that a CB in late position seems to work most times.
In fact, most bets on the flop from a LP will get everyone to fold.

Definitely +EV for me.

NYCNative 08-25-2005 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't either. You have no idea how many post I've taken down like this (at the .50/1.00 tables which are actually $100 NL but it worked when I was at .25/.50 just as well):

Me (cards irrelevant): raise to $3
One caller
Flop comes with a bunch of rags... villain checks. Hero bets $5. villain folds.

Hero wins pot of $7.00 (minus rake)

jkkkk 08-25-2005 04:57 PM

Continuation bets are +EV in 50NL.

GrunchCan 08-25-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me (cards irrelevant): raise to $3
One caller
Flop comes with a bunch of rags... villain checks. Hero bets $5. villain folds.

Hero wins pot of $7.00 (minus rake)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I go through long stretches where this is all the money I make. Which is to say this is bread & butter for me. Aces & flushes are gravy, but this is B&B.

NYCNative 08-25-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I go through long stretches where this is all the money I make.

[/ QUOTE ]Totally. When I'm card dead, I will make position plays with any two cards. Being dead means I look kinda rock-ish and my raise with position buys me the pots. What's really fun is when they call you and you hit your set or TPTK on the turn. Pisses them right off. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Steve Chase 08-25-2005 05:11 PM

No one mentioned the number of players in the pot.
I found CB worked the best when HU.

However, CB also worked well for me when I am first one to bet in a multiple way pot. People auotmatically assumes you must have something when you fire into four people behind you. In such a case, most middle pair, bottom pair, or small pair will fold.
They will call in HU with some of these hands.