Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Most satisfying ending to a video game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322038)

bernie 08-24-2005 03:50 PM

Most satisfying ending to a video game?

What vid game has a great ending or celebration(lack of a better word) for beating it? I mean one that you really feel like you accomplished something to where the journey was worth the ending. I find many endings or final fights are just anti-climactic. Though sometimes getting there can make up for the lack of good endings.

My fave is still the final fight in TombRaider 2 with the dragon. That whole game was just a cool adventure.

An interesting ending was in Nam '67. Talk about an empty feeling, but somehow that kind of fit the story line.

I guess this could also pertain to certain fights 'during' a game. Something you feel you really had to work your ass off without any little 'cheat' tricks to beat a part.

Any ideas?

b

swede123 08-24-2005 03:52 PM

Re: Most satisfying ending to a video game?

I like the ending to the game Diablo. You finally capture the demon inside your own body...only to have him take over it and use you to continue the evil.

Cool stuff.

Swede

Shajen 08-24-2005 03:52 PM

Wow, it just occured to me that I can think of a single game ending.

Wait, I remember Mario Brothers. That's about it. I've beaten a lot of games. The really good ones I don't want to end though.

istewart 08-24-2005 03:56 PM

Max Payne. Took me a long time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

handsome 08-24-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait, I remember Mario Brothers. That's about it. I've beaten a lot of games. The really good ones I don't want to end though.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were dumb as hell. "Sorry Mario! Princess is in another castle!"

I remember liking the FF7 ending a lot, though I can't quite remember what it was.

TheMainEvent 08-24-2005 03:57 PM

Contra. Island explodes, you fly away. No scrolling text necessary. What more do you want?

shakingspear 08-24-2005 03:59 PM

I was satisfied with the ending of Metal Gear Solid. I also thought The Ocarina of Time was well done.

bernie 08-24-2005 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good test. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The really good ones I don't want to end though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some games are just cool and written well. For me it was FF7. I can't really remember the ending, but it was a real fun game to travel around in. Suikoden was kinda cool in that way.

b

jgorham 08-24-2005 04:00 PM

This sort of thing is what makes Half Life 1 and 2 great FPS. I also liked the ending to Knights of the Old Republic, as I got to take over the galaxy, thus proving my badassness.

ElSapo 08-24-2005 04:00 PM

Ghostbusters for the Comodore 64, though mostly b/c I've only completed two in my life and the other was SuperMario Bros.

Shajen 08-24-2005 04:00 PM

should of been can't. I obviously CAN'T type today.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Soul Daddy 08-24-2005 04:01 PM

It doesn't hold up well, but I found the ending to Blades of Steel to be quite awesome when first accomplished. Other than that, Phantasy Star II and Ocarina.

durron597 08-24-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I remember liking the FF7 ending a lot, though I can't quite remember what it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was awesome, but I wouldn't exactly call it "satisfying"... they didn't really explain much...

Cancer Merchant 08-24-2005 04:01 PM

http://www.mtmtechnologies.net/badmario.gif

gumpzilla 08-24-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They kill Sephiroth, stuff starts blowing up, Aeris's ghost appears and the world-saving spell gets cast. The credits roll, then the closing shot is supposed to be 500 years later, and consists of a pack of animals that look like Red XIII running up to a cliff and looking at the ruins of Midgar with all kinds of jungle growing through it.

stabn 08-24-2005 04:02 PM

Not halo 2.

bernie 08-24-2005 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should of been can't. I obviously CAN'T type today.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is that's exactly how I read it even with the typo. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b

bernie 08-24-2005 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't hold up well, but I found the ending to Blades of Steel to be quite awesome when first accomplished

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty cool. Looked like snapshots of your team through the season. Blades of steel rocked!

Which reminds me of Tecmo Superbowl. When you won it went through your team roster showing the people's names on the championship team along with your team celebrating. Simple pleasure back then. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

b

dhaimon 08-24-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They kill Sephiroth, stuff starts blowing up, Aeris's ghost appears and the world-saving spell gets cast. The credits roll, then the closing shot is supposed to be 500 years later, and consists of a pack of animals that look like Red XIII running up to a cliff and looking at the ruins of Midgar with all kinds of jungle growing through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The end FIGHT and ending are pretty damn cool in that game though, especially if you haven't gotten omnislash before the fight.

Not as cool as when you follow the trail of blood inside the Shinra building, but pretty cool.

Freakin 08-24-2005 04:14 PM

Most Satisfying: Fallout (Every way you can beat it)
Least Satisfying (or most annoying): Metal Gear: Acid or Halo2

Freakin

durron597 08-24-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The end FIGHT and ending are pretty damn cool in that game though, especially if you haven't gotten omnislash before the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? What a waste of 80 hours or whatever to play the whole game without getting omnislash.

coffeecrazy1 08-24-2005 04:17 PM

I was always exceptionally pumped about the two endings in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out(the newspaper article after Super Macho Man, and the screen when you actually beat Tyson...which, btw, is one of the most rewarding video game experiences in the world, especially if you didn't use a code to get to SMM).

Soul Daddy 08-24-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't hold up well, but I found the ending to Blades of Steel to be quite awesome when first accomplished

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty cool. Looked like snapshots of your team through the season. Blades of steel rocked!

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely thought this was the case until I finished it the second time.

Al P 08-24-2005 04:51 PM

Zork (the text version).

Dantes 08-24-2005 04:57 PM

The correct answer is ff8.

08-24-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2192/ff8no4se.jpg

SL__72 08-24-2005 05:11 PM

I liked the endings to the old Space/kings quest games...

davelin 08-24-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably one of the better ones, however I never liked any of the endings to the FF series (albeit I've only played FF7 and onwards).

Klepton 08-24-2005 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was awesome, but I wouldn't exactly call it "satisfying"... they didn't really explain much...

[/ QUOTE ]

world was dying, going to explode or erode or just basically end, and then the green stuff came and saved the earth...the same green stuff you see aeris collecting in the first cutscene of the videogame

hence aeris, being dead, came back to save the world.

also killing sephiroth made me just yell really loud - "YES! BITCH!"

fallout 1 was also awesome, i almost cried.

any zelda game is usually very satifying.

Luzion 08-24-2005 05:54 PM

Btw, since you guys mention FF7, there is going to be a sequel FF7 CGI movie being released this September. It takes place 2 years after the first FF7. Check the trailers out... It looks REALLY nice!!!

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/

dhaimon 08-24-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? What a waste of 80 hours or whatever to play the whole game without getting omnislash.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if you don't get omnislash in that fighting arena game you get it at the end "fight" sequence when cloud's limit bar increases. makes the scene even more awesome when you haven't seen omnislash before [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

wonderwes 08-24-2005 06:09 PM

Beating the story mode of GTA: San Andreas gave some satisfaction. More of just being able to complete all the missions.

One horrid ending, Burnout3. One of the best racing games I have ever played but you get no big ending once you beat the game.

bernie 08-24-2005 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also killing sephiroth made me just yell really loud - "YES! BITCH!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that feeling.

b

Jack of Arcades 08-24-2005 06:53 PM

MGS. MGS3.

FF8. FFX.

Terrabon98 08-24-2005 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Contra. Island explodes, you fly away. No scrolling text necessary. What more do you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the correct answer.

Jezebel 08-24-2005 07:03 PM

Mike Tyson Punchout

yoadrians 08-24-2005 07:45 PM

Mike Tyson's Punchout and Ninja Gaiden, only b/c those two games took me the longest to finish.

BTW, the code to Tyson is 007 373 5963 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hamish McBagpipe 08-24-2005 07:49 PM

Star Strike, 1982, Intellivision. If you kill all 5 aliens their world blows up. The best. If you fail, the earth blows up equally as satisfying. Plus, Zaxxon had a cool ending.

http://www.videogamecritic.net/image...tar_strike.png

mike4bmp 08-24-2005 08:09 PM

Zelda's Ocrina of Time

imported_CaseClosed326 08-24-2005 08:32 PM

Killing Hitler in Bionic Commando was sweet.