Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I have a problem. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=316053)

PhatTBoll 08-15-2005 11:57 PM

I have a problem.

His name is Sammy:

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/136/000029629wd.jpg

Not too daunting as problems go, but he has gotten pretty bad tonight. My wife and I got him last Saturday from our neighbors, who had kept him outside in an open-air shed with his littermates for his whole life (he's almost 4 months). For the last week, we have been amazed at how great his house-training has gone. Just a couple accidents in the first couple days, and he seemed home free after that. Two hours between potty breaks seemed sufficient for him.

Then tonight, I'm playing some video games and all of a sudden he starts taking a dump right in front of me. I say no, take him outside, and stay with him outside until he finishes his deuce and pees for good measure. Then I take him inside, and he immediately runs to the bathroom and takes another massive crap by the tub. I take him back outside again. After a little while, he comes back in, and everything seems cool. About 1.5 hours later, he runs into the bedroom and starts peeing on the floor. Luckily, my wife saw what he was up to and he only managed to leave a small puddle on the floor before he went outside again.

For those keeping score at home, that's 3 accidents in 2 hours after going almost a week without any at all. He goes to bed at the same time every night, has a very routine piss and crap schedule, eats the same food, and drinks about the same. He has no contact with other dogs and has minimal contact with the cats in the house. There seems to be no reason for the regression; in fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say he is trying to test us. Is this silly? Can we stop this behavior now before he makes a habit out of crapping where we can't see him? Does anyone want a dog? (I kid)

gorie 08-16-2005 12:00 AM

Re: I have a problem.

i know nothing about dogs, but nice avatar. it reminds me of the junk drawer at home. still laying right next to the rubix puzzle stick, i assume.

hope your dog stops poopin'.

Thythe 08-16-2005 12:05 AM

I've never had a dog either, but Sammy looks quite cute. Awwww.

Los Feliz Slim 08-16-2005 12:06 AM

My first reaction is to worry that he's sick. Take him to the vet. That's not just a lot of accidents in a couple of hours, that's a lot of times for a dog to go to the bathroom. He might have eaten something bad or be carrying something from when he lived outside. Cute dog, hope it works out.

pokerdirty 08-16-2005 12:06 AM

*insert 12 gauge pic here*

cute dog. too bad.

Jimbo 08-16-2005 12:07 AM

Here is the best free advice on the web and it works quite well.

Puppy Potty Training

Claunchy 08-16-2005 12:08 AM

Just take him to one of those dog training places. Or kill him and tell your wife he ran away.

Kidding. Cute dog.

touchfaith 08-16-2005 12:08 AM

Been taking him for walks? He sounds like he's pissed at you.

I do the same thing when I'm mad at people.

PhatTBoll 08-16-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My first reaction is to worry that he's sick. Take him to the vet. That's not just a lot of accidents in a couple of hours, that's a lot of times for a dog to go to the bathroom. He might have eaten something bad or be carrying something from when he lived outside. Cute dog, hope it works out.

[/ QUOTE ]
He just went to the vet a week ago, but if he keeps this up we will be getting in touch with her. I think he is due back for a second round of shots in not too long anyway.

Jimbo 08-16-2005 12:15 AM

An alternative is Puppy odor eliminator

In your extreme case I suggest the gallon size for $50.99 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CrazyEyez 08-16-2005 12:16 AM

I doubt it's anything that can't be fixed. I'd take him outside every 30 minutes if possible for awhile. Make sure you are rewarding the hell out of him (can be verbally, doesn't have to be food reward) every time he does the deed outside. I agree w/ the other poster that that's a lot for him to go in that time period, so maybe some kind of fluke.

ThaSaltCracka 08-16-2005 12:16 AM

you are fine, just keep doing what you are doing. It takes about a month to potty train a dog. The schedule will help out a lot, as will taking him outside as soon as he starts to drop bombs on your carpet. Another thing you can do is the make him sleep in areas where he is pooping and peeing, as dogs will not defecate where they sleep. Also, take him outside whenever you think he is due, and wait outside until he does the deed, then bring him back inside.

ThaSaltCracka 08-16-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you are rewarding the hell out of him (can be verbally, doesn't have to be food reward)

[/ QUOTE ] yes, scratch his head and whatnot, food rewards are a horrible idea, as it will lead to many annoyances later.

PhatTBoll 08-16-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An alternative is Puppy odor eliminator

In your extreme case I suggest the gallon sixe for $50.99 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice link. I think if I went to somebody's house and saw that their dog was litter trained, I would eat it just on general principle.
One more item of interest: his poo has been very light colored, almost beige. Is this normal for puppies?

brassnuts 08-16-2005 12:21 AM

http://images.popcornmonsters.com/contest/vapoorize.gif

Terrible movie, though.

CrazyEyez 08-16-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, scratch his head and whatnot,

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, you want him to scratch his whatnot?

Jimbo 08-16-2005 12:22 AM

PhatTBoll is correct, we need more pictures of the offending poo for a proper diagnosis.

PhatTBoll 08-16-2005 12:27 AM

He gets outside plenty. You're not really supposed to walk dogs his age that much. Sometimes when we go out he runs back to the door and wants back in. I have no doubt that he is mad at me though, I just can't figure out why.

touchfaith 08-16-2005 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He gets outside plenty. You're not really supposed to walk dogs his age that much. Sometimes when we go out he runs back to the door and wants back in. I have no doubt that he is mad at me though, I just can't figure out why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did his food change or has someone been giving him table scraps?

(I know nothing about dogs, but I have a moody lizard) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jakethebake 08-16-2005 08:41 AM

Just telling him "no" doesn't tell him anything. You have to rub his nose in it, give him a little spanking (just hard enough to let him know he did wrong) then put him outside.

craig r 08-16-2005 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He just went to the vet a week ago, but if he keeps this up we will be getting in touch with her. I think he is due back for a second round of shots in not too long anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he get vaccinations when you took him to the vet last week? I know with cats they can sometimes have a bad reaction for a week or so from the main cat vacinations. I don't know if it is the same for dogs. But, I also know it doesn't happen to all cats.

craig

RunDownHouse 08-16-2005 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just telling him "no" doesn't tell him anything. You have to rub his nose in it, give him a little spanking (just hard enough to let him know he did wrong) then put him outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs just can't reason like this. If you don't actually stop him mid-deed, and instead rub his face in the mess, then he'll think its the mess you're pissed about, not the deed. That's when dogs start shitting under beds and in corners, thinking that if you don't see the mess, you won't be mad.

jakethebake 08-16-2005 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dogs just can't reason like this. If you don't actually stop him mid-deed, and instead rub his face in the mess, then he'll think its the mess you're pissed about, not the deed. That's when dogs start shitting under beds and in corners, thinking that if you don't see the mess, you won't be mad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've trained probably 10 dogs, every one of them like this with no problems. But yea, you have to catch them in the act, or immediately after. You can't do it like an hour later.