Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Most Graphic Thing You've Ever Seen In Real Life (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=315521)

fimbulwinter 08-15-2005 10:02 AM

Most Graphic Thing You\'ve Ever Seen In Real Life

I just watched a movie which included a series of uncensored video tapes smuggled from iraq, the LA riots and medical archives. some of the stuff was absolutely unreal in how disturbing it was (group beheadings with a machete and suicide bombing in Iraq stand out).

It made me think just how little we actually see here. those were by far the most graphic things i'd ever seen on film, and what i've seen in real life is even more tame. the two things i can think of are seeing a friend's foot and ankle shattered (which is intensely painful) and an emergency delivery which actually wasn't too bad after the initial shock as it was "natural".

what is the most intense thing you've ever seen in real life? Have you ever seen anyone actually go through the act of losing their life?

fim

CollinEstes 08-15-2005 10:05 AM

Re: Most Graphic Thing You\'ve Ever Seen In Real Life

You've never seen faces of death have you?

*shutters*

That [censored] is pretty [censored] up to watch when you are 12.

Matty 08-15-2005 10:05 AM

Yeah some guy stumbled out of a bar after being stabbed and died on the sidewalk while my dad and I were knelt beside him.

Other than that, a finger getting chopped off is about it.

Edit: oh, and when I was little our swingset broke while my little brother was on it, and the wooden beam holding the swings up came down into my little bros head. Luckily no major damage, but he had to wear a bicycle helmet for a year because to this day he still has a small hole in his skull.

rustyboy 08-15-2005 10:07 AM

Driving down I-75 south of Lexington KY, I saw what appeared to be a big bird flying up and down quite quickly far ahead. It was getting closer and closer, and larger and larger. After 5 or 6 trips up and back down, it became appearent to us in the car that it was a wheel that had come off a car. There was a bounce about 600 yards in front of us, then one 100 yards in front of us, then we accelerated under it, and it proceded to slam into the car behind us. The tire went through the entire car, sitting on the road. The lady driving was roughed up quite a bit, mainly from her windshield laying in her lap. I was afraid that I had seen some one die, but she ended up ok.

miajag81 08-15-2005 10:11 AM

Not much here. I've seen a small plane crash into the ocean but the pilot ended up surviving. One of my friends dislocated his shoulder playing softball a couple years ago, that was pretty gross.

fimbulwinter 08-15-2005 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've never seen faces of death have you?

*shutters*

That [censored] is pretty [censored] up to watch when you are 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, this was a student film about censorship in the media. some of the stuff they don't show you on TV is insane.

One thing i saw that i doubt i'll ever forget is a man holding a press conference saying something to the effect of "i apologize and i hope you will not hold this against my family" then hands out letters of apology to like 5 people, then opens his briefcase, pulls out a very large handgun, says, you should leave if this will offend you (people scream "no, please don't do it") and shoots himself in the head. he falls down like a motionless sack and gushes blood for about 10 seconds, cameras running all the while.

the documentary showed the news report and then the actual video.

fim

stigmata 08-15-2005 10:16 AM

I just missed someone getting murdered on a shopping street in broad daylight. I came around a corner and there was a load of commotion. The guy was lying on the pavement with blood running out of his head into the gutter. It was really disturbing -- I was living in a rough area at the time and it just made me feel deeply uncomfortable.

But to be honest, it's doctors and nurses who have to really deal with this stuff.

CollinEstes 08-15-2005 10:18 AM

I watched two full faces of death and by far the worse thing I saw on there was a man being torn apart by two horses.

shakingspear 08-15-2005 10:18 AM

I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years. I saw a guy burnt to death in his car. He was alive when it was happening, screaming and stuff. Sucked.

JimGil 08-15-2005 10:19 AM

9/11 NY

kenberman 08-15-2005 10:19 AM

I saw 2 dogs chase a cat around, and push it off a 200 yard high rocky cliff, killing the cat.

These were all wild animals (in Greece). This wasn't esspecially graphic, b/c I didn't see where the cat ended up splattering, but it was still pretty crazy to watch the hunt and kill.

jakethebake 08-15-2005 10:20 AM

Mostly stuff in combat. The grossest was probably a body that had been decomposing in a truck in the desert for a couple of weeks before we found it.

The weirdest was "Lou" the dead Iraqi that some guys from "Graves Registration" propped up in a chair to play a "dead hand" when we only had three for Spades.

Patrick del Poker Grande 08-15-2005 10:22 AM

Since I grew up in Northern WI, the most graphic things I've ever seen all involve a deer either getting shot by a .30-06 in the face or some leg/back bone or getting hit by a car/truck on the highway.

djoyce003 08-15-2005 10:22 AM

I saw a lady get decapitated when she drove her car under the trailer of an 18 wheeler.

TheCroShow 08-15-2005 10:23 AM

internet? watching animals get skinned alive...why did i watch it?? NO FREAKIN IDEA!! EWW. Another was lions eating a tourist, messed up 70s video...what was i thinking???

in person? when i was a little kid, i saw 2 dogs bite the xxxx out of a little girl. scared the hell out of me, there was blood and everything!

cadillac1234 08-15-2005 10:32 AM

I was a paramedic for 10 years in Oakland, Ca and I think I've seen just about every way a person could die.

Aside from the grossness factor the whole surreal aspect of a truly chaotic scene is what sticks with me the most. Coming up on a mutli-casualty scene with victims spread out all over the place and bystanders going nuts gets you into information overload pretty quickly.

I'd have to say the Oakland Hills Fire was probably top of the list of total chaos.

TheCroShow 08-15-2005 10:34 AM

ah yes, paramedics see some messed up stuff! my friend's parents were paramedics and he would share stories with us. *shudder's at the thought*

Randy_Refeld 08-15-2005 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing i saw that i doubt i'll ever forget is a man holding a press conference saying something to the effect of "i apologize and i hope you will not hold this against my family" then hands out letters of apology to like 5 people, then opens his briefcase, pulls out a very large handgun, says, you should leave if this will offend you (people scream "no, please don't do it") and shoots himself in the head. he falls down like a motionless sack and gushes blood for about 10 seconds, cameras running all the while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this "live" on TV. I was about 13 or 14 and this was on satellite. I forget what office he held but it was in PA (for some reason I am thinking he may have been attorney general or some sort of law enforcement).

PTjvs 08-15-2005 11:09 AM

On the little boat tour at Niagra Falls with my wife, the body of some guy who had jumped off the Niagra bridge surfaced. The tour guide tried to play it off like it was a mannequin or something, Im not sure anyone else on the boat even saw it. The police showed up right away though. Apparently they get a ton of jumpers off that bridge.

jvs

mslif 08-15-2005 11:10 AM

I was an intern in a hospital for almost a year. One of my rotation was in the burn unit at jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Burnt patient are one of the worst things I have ever seen. Scrapping their wounds/burns everyday and make them bleed is just horrifying.

coffeecrazy1 08-15-2005 11:34 AM

Two things:

1)My mother breaking and dislocating both of her ankles in front of me. I still remember the sound, and knew exactly what had happened because my own ankle had made the same sound six months earlier.

2)As I said in the courage thread, I was one of the first people on the site of the 1999 Texas A&M Bonfire collapse. For those who don't know, an estimated 2-million-ton log stack collapsed on about 100 students, killing 12. I saw some horrible things, most notably a person folded in half to the wrong direction, towards their back. It's still not really easy for me to talk about...most likely I had PTSD following it.

TheCroShow 08-15-2005 11:37 AM

i'm beginning to believe that reading this thread will be the most graphic thing i've ever seen or at least HEARD of!

sorry to hear about what you had to witness coffeecrazy1 =/

jakethebake 08-15-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2)As I said in the courage thread, I was one of the first people on the site of the 1999 Texas A&M Bonfire collapse. For those who don't know, an estimated 2-million-ton log stack collapsed on about 100 students, killing 12. I saw some horrible things, most notably a person folded in half to the wrong direction, towards their back. It's still not really easy for me to talk about...most likely I had PTSD following it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a terrible thing. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] <font color="white">Yet it requires every oz. of self restraint to not tell an aggie joke every time I hear about it. </font>

touchfaith 08-15-2005 11:40 AM

Child-birth

mackthefork 08-15-2005 11:52 AM

Pretty tame by the standards here, when I was 9 one of my friends put a brake lever through his armpit, he passed out a couple of times, lots of blood and vomit, to be honest I'm here swallowing vomit now 20 years later. I can still see it plain as day.

Mack

Alchemist 08-15-2005 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this "live" on TV. I was about 13 or 14 and this was on satellite. I forget what office he held but it was in PA (for some reason I am thinking he may have been attorney general or some sort of law enforcement).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bud Dwyer
Obviously contains pictures NSFW.

I grew up near Pittsburgh and I remember this being all over the local news although when I had watched it they blacked out the shooting so I never saw the whole clip until years later.

Mason Hellmuth 08-15-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up near Pittsburgh and I remember this being all over the local news although when I had watched it they blacked out the shooting so I never saw the whole clip until years later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, the song "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter is said to be based on this event.

DrPublo 08-15-2005 12:34 PM

I was driving down the highway once (up from AC, acutally) and I saw a guy on a motorcycle about 3 cars ahead of me in the other lane lose control of his bike and go skidding along the pavement. He very very narrowly missed getting run over by the cars behind him, mainly because he was in the right lane and skidded into the shoulder.

I later read in the local newspaper that the guy walked away with some broken ribs, a fractured wrist and some bumps and bruises.

The Doc

beckham9 08-15-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Driving down I-75 south of Lexington KY, I saw what appeared to be a big bird flying up and down quite quickly far ahead. It was getting closer and closer, and larger and larger. After 5 or 6 trips up and back down, it became appearent to us in the car that it was a wheel that had come off a car. There was a bounce about 600 yards in front of us, then one 100 yards in front of us, then we accelerated under it, and it proceded to slam into the car behind us. The tire went through the entire car, sitting on the road. The lady driving was roughed up quite a bit, mainly from her windshield laying in her lap. I was afraid that I had seen some one die, but she ended up ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

so this "tire" bounced 500 yards, and in a straight line down the freeway no less.....if you say so.....

FouTight 08-15-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so this "tire" bounced 500 yards, and in a straight line down the freeway no less.....if you say so.....

[/ QUOTE ]

He was clearly driving in the opposite direction of the tire, so it didn't bounce 500 yards. Now, the number still seems a bit high, but he never said anything about 500, thats all in your head.

billyjex 08-15-2005 01:50 PM

wow... that video is nuts..

STLantny 08-15-2005 01:54 PM

Ive seen all kinds of disturbing stuff on the internet. In real life, I got my finger caught in some machinery, and split it open, so it was completely flat, lengthwise, so it looked like a butter fly, and you could see my bone etc. 100 or so internal stitches, and too many external stitches. It was weird though, didnt hurt too much, a lot of adrenaline pumpin. Worst part of it was the painkillers they gave me in the ER, got real sick.

DonBaker 08-15-2005 02:17 PM

Houston 500

tdarko 08-15-2005 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who don't know, an estimated 2-million-ton log stack collapsed on about 100 students, killing 12.

[/ QUOTE ]
a close friend of mine was one of the twelve. that day sucked. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Lazymeatball 08-15-2005 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, the song "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter is said to be based on this event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always heard that song was about Kurt Cobain.

TheBlueMonster 08-15-2005 03:01 PM

my friend\'s ankle....

I was rock climbing with my friend and he jumped down from about 12 ft and landed wrongly on his ankle. I tbasically looked like his foot was about to fall off....it was held on by ligaments and skin on only one side. The bottom of his foot was facing the wrong way

Shajen 08-15-2005 03:11 PM

two children, ages 4 and 18 months burned to death in a house fire. They looked like two large pieces of charcoal.

Saw a kid get thrown partially out of a car that was flipping over, it rolled over him. He broke his neck but lived.

Had to help treat a guy (first responder type stuff) who had been in a car wreck. He was missing his nose. Could see straight into his sinus cavities. Ugh.

You see some [censored] up [censored] as a fire fighter.

CCass 08-15-2005 05:42 PM

I walked into an apartment where an elderly lady had burned up (she had gotten to close to the gas stove, and her clothes caught on fire). She had been lying there several days.

Slow Play Ray 08-15-2005 05:49 PM

When I was a senior in high school I walked out to leave for school one morning and I noticed our mailbox was in our neighbor's yard. Our stretch of road was a frequent target for mailbox baseball, as well as dragging, so I didn't think much of it. I went to my neighbor's yard to retrieve the mailbox and noticed their yard was all torn up w/ tire marks. I followed them across the lawn and found an old souped-up Nova upside-down in a gully. The driver was through the windshield, and his head was smashed completely open on a rock. It was quite disturbing, and it still bothers me to think about it to this day.

Slacker13 08-15-2005 05:51 PM

The worst for me was seeing a 12 yr old girl get hit by a car. I was the first person on the scene and it was horrible. I still think about her every once in a while.
The [censored] driver took off.
Her mom tracked me down weeks later to ask me if she had died instantly. I lied and said yes. The realty was that the girl bled to death in front of me and there was nothing I could do.