Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rudeness on Two Plus Two (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314844)

mike4bmp 08-14-2005 03:44 AM

Rudeness on Two Plus Two

I noticed that there are a lot of rude commentors on Two Plus Two. I've also noticed that there are alot of rude people playing online as well. Does poker and gambling bring out the worst in people or do people with abrasive personalities gravitate towards it? Cause I wish people could just remain civil....

SNOWBALL138 08-14-2005 04:40 AM

Re: Rudeness on Two Plus Two

There are a lot of reasons for what you are talking about. One of the reasons is simply the internet. People are less inhibited by social norms on a message board. Most people here are anonymous also, therefore, repercussions for rude language are minimal.

Brainwalter 08-14-2005 05:10 AM

Yes, live poker players are bastions of decency.

SNOWBALL138 08-14-2005 05:26 AM

Yeah, good point. However, I would lay good odds that most 2+2ers are much nicer in person.

pokerjoker 08-14-2005 06:21 AM

its an annonymous way to be a dick to people. Ever been to a chatroom or player an online game such as Starcraft or Quake or whatever? Also I a decent ammount people who are skilled technically might not have spent that much time on interpersonal relationships.

That said I find most 2+2ers and also most people playing the low mid-high stakes games to be very friendly and intelligent people.

mosquito 08-14-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that there are a lot of rude commentors on Two Plus Two. I've also noticed that there are alot of rude people playing online as well. Does poker and gambling bring out the worst in people or do people with abrasive personalities gravitate towards it? Cause I wish people could just remain civil....

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think it's a poker problem?

Try any competitive game popualated mainly by
non-experts (not that experts are perfect either).

08-14-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cause I wish people could just remain civil....

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 is much more civil than any other forums I've posted on. I think this is about as much as you can expect when it comes to the internet.

Bodhi 08-14-2005 05:30 PM

Shut up you stupid donk, and take your ridiculous questions elsewhere.

Reef 08-14-2005 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shut up you stupid donk, and take your ridiculous questions elsewhere bastid' n00b.

[/ QUOTE ]

mike4bmp 08-14-2005 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice...real intelligent guy. People like you would never have the nerve to speak like this to others in a public card room...cuz you'd probably get stomped on. Not wasting anymore of my time on this thread...

balt999 08-14-2005 08:10 PM

It's just easier to be rude when you're behind a computer and you don't have to face the person..it's more cowardice in my opinion.

Reef 08-14-2005 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice...real intelligent guy. People like you would never have the nerve to speak like this to others in a public card room...cuz you'd probably get stomped on. Not wasting anymore of my time on this thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

turn your sarcasm meter on. FWIW, if I have something on my mind.. I WILL say it to someone personally.

SNOWBALL138 08-14-2005 08:41 PM

As far as I know, Bodhi is one of the nicer people on this board, so I think his post was sarcastic. Reef too.

goofball 08-14-2005 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cause I wish people could just remain civil....

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 is much more civil than any other forums I've posted on. I think this is about as much as you can expect when it comes to the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheCroShow 08-14-2005 11:54 PM

it's the internet, do you expect every person to be polite and civil? roffle my doffle, you're a [censored] noob

bobbyi 08-15-2005 01:11 AM

A lot of internet forums, especially those freqeuented by high school/ college kids, tend to be this way. It doesn't necessarily have much to do with poker. That is probably a factor as well though.

Bodhi 08-15-2005 03:15 AM

Yeah, I really hope I didn't make him leave for good.
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My sarcasm was really obvious, right?

mdeck 08-15-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My sarcasm was really obvious, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Though as an aside, you'd think being a poker player would give one a thicker skin [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

mike4bmp 08-15-2005 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

turn your sarcasm meter on. FWIW, if I have something on my mind.. I WILL say it to someone personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I came off strong (and rude myself). Its hard to pick up on the sarcasm when I have to read it instead of hear it. I'm new to the internet forum thing so please accept my apologies. Peace...
-Mike...out

08-15-2005 09:23 AM

Let me say that having been online since the early 80's, I can say that this forum is certainly no more rude than the average, and probably less so. I've only been here a short time, but I don't see whole threads devoted to flame wars, groups of enemies that hijack threads all over the forum to continue their endless quarrel, or other such things typical of online forums.

08-15-2005 09:41 AM

It's an interesting question and I'm not at all convinced to rudeness in internet poker to only be because of the internet.

Had an interesting discussion about it in this thread about one week ago.

08-15-2005 09:49 AM

You're an idiot.

speirs 08-15-2005 10:39 AM

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3884/firemen1by.jpg

poker-penguin 08-15-2005 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no sarcasm detector

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

vexvelour 08-15-2005 05:31 PM

I don't find this rudeness so much in this psych forum, but in others it's overwhelming. It's like people only want to respond if they can tell you you're a worse player than they are, or that your question is stupid or amateur. Sometimes you can't even get a answer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

TStoneMBD 08-15-2005 05:45 PM

dude sweet pic

nervous 08-15-2005 09:36 PM

It's called assholing for fun.